English (The Language)

Snake-Pit

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is not what he told me either. Something about The Last Waltz, the hippy old fart swansong directed by Scorsese.

It was actually a combination of the two. The Emmylou Harris song featured on The Last Waltz was based on the poem. 

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

the song based on the poem is beautiful, Emmylou has the voice of an angel :heart: never saw the movie based on The Band, was it that bad?

The wife and I met (and got married) on "the banks of the Mississippi in New Orleans so it seemed fitting. :)

10671208_10203828419244773_7011931250996370144_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bandanaman said:

I think english is one of the easiest languages to learn.

Depends on your native language. It is easy coming from an Indo-European language, in particular a Germanic language, but difficult outside of that. One thing that is easy about English is the rigid sentencing structure (subject-verb-object) allows you to get away with blue murder grammatically. 

• Like 1

One addition I would make to the English language that would help both native speakers and those learning the language would be a positive word to a question with a negative in it.

"I can't do this?"

"Yes."

"Yes I can or Yes I can't?"

French has "Si" and Farsi has "Cherah"; English is a great language but for all its willingness to add words and borrow, this one omission baffles me and leads to a lot of confusion.

25 minutes ago, Amir said:

One addition I would make to the English language that would help both native speakers and those learning the language would be a positive word to a question with a negative in it.

"I can't do this?"

"Yes."

French has "Si" and Farsi has "Cherah"; English is a great language but for all its willingness to add words and borrow, this one omission baffles me and leads to a lot of confusion.

Surely the answer to "I can't do this?" would be "no (you can't)"? Answering yes to that seems silly.

Edit: P.S. Good to see you around, Amir.

On 20.10.2016. at 10:56 AM, Bandanaman said:

I think english is one of the easiest languages to learn.

Agree

I learned English and German in school, speak a little bit of Russian and Spanish, but English is by far the easiest one to learn and speak and my language is not in the slightest similar to it. Growing up with American tv series and movies probably helped a lot, but nevertheless english grammar is really not challenging. The only thing that is tricky are tences, present perfect, past perfect, present perfect continuous, past perfect continuous......wtf :D 

And spelling, I still make some stupid mistakes, and I probably did here too ;)

On 10/20/2016 at 2:39 PM, Amir said:

"I can't do this?"

"Yes."

... It believe that's "oui" Mon ami.

8 hours ago, Snake-Pit said:

... It believe that's "oui" Mon ami.

Nope.

Oui = Yes.

Non = No.

Si = Yes when responding to a negative question, as in my example "Je ne peux pas faire quelque chose?" "Si." (it also means "if").