Ann Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay

Amir

Only in America could someone this utterly misguided be a public figure who some people actually take seriously. What a fanny.

Yeah only in America. :jerkoff:
I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, or having a go at me...
"Only in America" it's such a smug, pompous, bullshit, statement to make.
Yeah but at the same time you're talking about a phrase that was invented and popularised by Americans as a way to denote America being the homeland of liberty and oppertunity, do you not think that's a bit smug? People from abroad use it as a response to that same smugness. Think about that for a second, considering that things like liberty and oppertunity and decency are 'only in America'.

And here I was thinking the phrase came from a country music song.

Guest Len B'stard

Only in America could someone this utterly misguided be a public figure who some people actually take seriously. What a fanny.

Yeah but at the same time you're talking about a phrase that was invented and popularised by Americans as a way to denote America being the homeland of liberty and oppertunity, do you not think that's a bit smug? People from abroad use it as a response to that same smugness. Think about that for a second, considering that things like liberty and oppertunity and decency are 'only in America'.

How does that dispute what i said?

Name me another Western democracy where a political party as conservative as the Republicans have as much mainstream support...

First of all, Brooks & Dunn don't speak for America. It's a (crappy) song about dreaming of possibilities, as I suspect other citizens in other countries do as well. Maybe they just need to come up with an equally shitty tune to vocalize those same sentiments. The only smugness I honestly ever see is how others constantly throw that phrase up in our faces here. It's pretty telling when people think they can generalize 314 million people based on a line in a song. FunFact: I have never in my life heard anyone in the US say "only in America" in everyday conversation, nevermind heard anyone say it in some arrogant pompous high and mighty tone. Just the opposite really, people are constantly bitching about our own country. Hopefully that doesn't bursts anyone's bubble, that probably is something I should have just kept to myself.

Any halfway intelligent human being who can put aside their distaste for all things American and their emotional attachment to "the most popular game in the world" realizes that American sports are FAR superior to soccer in every way, just saying.

Baseball, football, and basketball, if you actually understand the games, have so much more depth and are so much more exciting than professional soccer it's not even funny. Soccer is rudimentary athletics for 6 year olds, get on with the American Master Race and watch some real sports, bitches.

You can hate us for whatever reason you want, I don't care, but our sports are more intelligent, physically demanding, and fun to watch. There is no argument there.

Edited by sweetness
  • Like 1

Any halfway intelligent human being who can put aside their distaste for all things American and their emotional attachment to "the most popular game in the world" realizes that American sports are FAR superior to soccer in every way, just saying.

Baseball, football, and basketball, if you actually understand the games, have so much more depth and are so much more exciting than professional soccer it's not even funny. Soccer is rudimentary athletics for 6 year olds, get on with the American Master Race and watch some real sports, bitches.

You can hate us for whatever reason you want, I don't care, but our sports are more intelligent, physically demanding, and fun to watch. There is no argument there.

100% no

Guest Len B'stard

First of all, Brooks & Dunn don't speak for America. It's a (crappy) song about dreaming of possibilities, as I suspect other citizens in other countries do as well. Maybe they just need to come up with an equally shitty tune to vocalize those same sentiments. The only smugness I honestly ever see is how others constantly throw that phrase up in our faces here. It's pretty telling when people think they can generalize 314 million people based on a line in a song. FunFact: I have never in my life heard anyone in the US say "only in America" in everyday conversation, nevermind heard anyone say it in some arrogant pompous high and mighty tone. Just the opposite really, people are constantly bitching about our own country. Hopefully that doesn't bursts anyone's bubble, that probably is something I should have just kept to myself.

I wasn't suggesting for a moment that the songwriters spoke for America, they just coined the phrase. As far people throwing it in your face, i think perhaps you've misunderstood the nature of their doing that, the whole point of their saying that is because it is a phrase that was coined in America and is representative of a particular mentality. It kinda works expressly on that basis. I think it's pretty telling when a prevailing collective national mentality have a superiority complex over the rest of the 7 billion people in the world. But of course, thats not the case you tell me, fair enough, it may very well not be but my point is this, it's not a phrase that came out of nowhere, it's a phrase from that side of the pond and one that was initially used and popularised by Americans, that much is a fact. It's unfortunate that those who are not of that mentality get swept up in the generalisation but then ones doing the sweeping were presented with a generalisation in the first instance soooo...whether or not you hear people say it on a daily basis or not immaterial.

Perhaps its just a case of how your country is represented abroad and the reality is nothing like that :shrugs: None of that changes my point though, the phrase is equally smug and it originated from America and, whether or not you personally are of that perspective, there are many people that believe in it and have banged that particular drum loudly for many years.

I think it's pretty telling when a prevailing collective national mentality have a superiority complex over the rest of the 7 billion people in the world. But of course, thats not the case you tell me

Oh don't be fooled by her, that's totally the case. We're the shit and the rest of the world is jealous.

Guest Len B'stard
I think it's pretty telling when a prevailing collective national mentality have a superiority complex over the rest of the 7 billion people in the world. But of course, thats not the case you tell me

Oh don't be fooled by her, that's totally the case. We're the shit and the rest of the world is jealous.

Yes, quite.

But you live in NYC, right? What you hear every day is a lot different from what most of us hear. I don't think I've ever heard someone say "only in America" before, but I've heard countless people go on and on about how we're #1, and we're the greatest country in the world ever, and how we're basically the endpoint of the natural evolution of freedom and liberty. I hear that shit all the time - from friends, from coworkers, from random people I meet, on television, even on this very forum. I'm not saying the more sane people don't exist. Of course they do, and I know plenty of them too. But American exceptionalism is a thing because American exceptionalism is a thing. Nomsayin?

Name me another Western democracy where a political party as conservative as the Republicans have as much mainstream support...

Well, your actual quote was "Only in America could someone this utterly misguided be a public figure who some people actually take seriously."

Perhaps take a minute to ponder the absurdity of that statement.

Oh I'm in no way inferring Americans aren't smug, but that intent you claim the phrase is used for abroad is not as cut and dried as that len.

It's recklessly used in so many situations as to infer that such a situation could only happen "in America".

I remember the night John Lennon was shot, everyone was shocked and devastated and the news was swamped with reports of intense sadness and sense of loss.

They showed a clip of a reporter on the streets of London England and they asked a woman what she was feeling and her reply was "only in America could this happen".

It wasn't intended to throw smugness back at America, it was an opinion that "such a thing would never happen here". I remember thinking at the time what a load of bollocks that was.

Yeah nothing like that could ever happen in the land of Jack The Ripper ya know? I mean, please...and I'm still seeing news stories of people getting their heads cut off in the middle of the street in broad daylight.

People who live in such blemish free regions of the world must feel so privileged that nothing happens around them like it does "only in America".

Get off it already..

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Oh I'm in no way inferring Americans aren't smug, but that intent you claim the phrase is used for abroad is not as cut and dried as that len.

It's recklessly used in so many situations as to infer that such a situation could only happen "in America".

I remember the night John Lennon was shot, everyone was shocked and devastated and the news was swamped with reports of intense sadness and sense of loss.

They showed a clip of a reporter on the streets of London England and they asked a woman what she was feeling and her reply was "only in America could this happen".

It wasn't intended to throw smugness back at America, it was an opinion that "such a thing would never happen here". I remember thinking at the time what a load of bollocks that was.

Yeah nothing like that could ever happen in the land of Jack The Ripper ya know? I mean, please...and I'm still seeing news stories of people getting their heads cut off in the middle of the street in broad daylight.

People who live in such blemish free regions of the world must feel so privileged that nothing happens around them like it does "only in America".

Get off it already..

Y'know what, you actually totally have a point, i can't argue with a thing you said there. And the weird thing is i dunno the footage you're talking about by memory but I could totally heard someone from over here saying that, like I can hear it clearly...and yeah it is a totally smug thing to say, I guess I kinda see the other side too now.

But you should be disqualified for use of John Lennon :lol:

Len, I used the John Lennon example because that's the first time I remember hearing that phrase and I found it so insulting and ignorant (and that's from a lad in the colonies).
It just stuck with me how inappropriate it was.

What shocked me even more that night was Paul's comment "yeah, what a drag" or whatever it was.
I know he was in shock and all, but in the intensity of the moment it just felt a little "what...that's it?".

Guest Len B'stard

Len, I used the John Lennon example because that's the first time I remember hearing that phrase and I found it so insulting and ignorant (and that's from a lad in the colonies).

It just stuck with me how inappropriate it was.

What shocked me even more that night was Paul's comment "yeah, what a drag" or whatever it was.

I know he was in shock and all, but in the intensity of the moment it just felt a little "what...that's it?".

I guess I never lived the moment so I never got that, in fact I heard Paul explaining himself before i ever saw the clip so I kinda got it in reverse. But that was just a joke, the you should be disqualified thing, it actually worked a charm cuz when you mentioned that it kinda got my attention in just the right way for me to hear you.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

But you live in NYC, right? What you hear every day is a lot different from what most of us hear. I don't think I've ever heard someone say "only in America" before, but I've heard countless people go on and on about how we're #1, and we're the greatest country in the world ever, and how we're basically the endpoint of the natural evolution of freedom and liberty. I hear that shit all the time - from friends, from coworkers, from random people I meet, on television, even on this very forum. I'm not saying the more sane people don't exist. Of course they do, and I know plenty of them too. But American exceptionalism is a thing because American exceptionalism is a thing. Nomsayin?

So you're telling me you don't hear any Americans complaining about our government? Cost of living? Taxes? Unemployment rates? Foreign policies? Gun laws? Gay marriage rights? The healthcare industry? Minimum wage? Gas prices? Where is this utopia you and everyone else seem to live in. All Americans do is bitch about America. Of course you never heard an American say "only in America" , the rest of the world does it for us. People who have never been here have a lot of opinions and generalizations, and it's based on what exactly? You tube videos, media reports, nerds on a Guns n Roses forum?

Sure there have been times in our history when patriotism was high. Times when we were proud to be an American. Does no other country feel that pride, feel that sense of nationalism? So what's the issue here. How do people in other parts of the world even know what's going on with us? Are Americans coming to their homes, disrupting their meals, and proclaiming how great we are to their faces, or are we being actively sought out, our every move closely observed and, apparently, criticized. I don't have any idea what is going on in other countries, or in this one at times, unless I purposely seek out such information. You don't like the perceived smugness, the idealistic beliefs our country was founded on, our attitudes, then better you spend your time surveying other parts of the word that don't piss you off so much. I doubt Americans would mind all that much anyway.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard
So you're telling me you don't hear any Americans complaining about our government? Cost of living? Taxes? Unemployment rates? Foreign policies? Gun laws? Gay marriage rights? The healthcare industry? Minimum wage? Gas prices? Where is this utopia you and everyone else seem to live in. All Americans do is bitch about America.

Every great totalitarian regime in the world focused on the voice of dissent more than any other thing because it fuels nationalism, just saying.

People who have never been here have a lot of opinions and generalizations, and it's based on what exactly?

Based on media, based on available information, based on how you present yourselves, the very same way yous assess the rest of the world with your opinions and generalisations...and being the last remaining superpower than voice is a very loud one indeed.

Sure there have been times in our history when patriotism was high. Times when we were proud to be an American. Does no other country feel that pride, feel that sense of nationalism? So what's the issue here.

The issue is the projection of superiority by a superpower, it comes across different than some vague island in the South Pacific that no ones ever heard of, these things are received differently when it's being projected by a superpower, much less the last remaining one.

How do people in other parts of the world even know what's going on with us? Are Americans coming to their homes, disrupting their meals, and proclaiming how great we are to their faces, or are we being actively sought out, our every move closely observed and, apparently, criticized.

Well, it's a little from column A and a little from column B, some respond to your countries foreign policy and others respond to the parts of the population that uphold the sort of imperialism than your foreign policy reflects, it's unfortunate that a well-meaning minority or maybe even majority feel different but see, just like everyone else you don't get judged on maybes, you get judged on what people know, little thought it may be.

I don't have any idea what is going on in other countries, or in this one at times, unless I purposely seek out such information. You don't like the perceived smugness, the idealistic beliefs our country was founded on, our attitudes, then better you spend your time surveying other parts of the word that don't piss you off so much. I doubt Americans would mind all that much anyway.

Sorry, when has Americans minding ever been a factor in the reflecting of truths as you see them?

So you're telling me you don't hear any Americans complaining about our government? Cost of living? Taxes? Unemployment rates? Foreign policies? Gun laws? Gay marriage rights? The healthcare industry? Minimum wage? Gas prices? Where is this utopia you and everyone else seem to live in. All Americans do is bitch about America. Of course you never heard an American say "only in America" , the rest of the world does it for us. People who have never been here have a lot of opinions and generalizations, and it's based on what exactly? You tube videos, media reports, nerds on a Guns n Roses forum?

No, that's not what I'm telling you at all. Fact is, there's no such thing as "Americans." There are plenty of people like the ones I'm talking about, and plenty like you're talking about, and plenty of others too. And that's why we're the best EVAAAAAARRR!!! :lol:

And I don't like your tone with me, dear. Don King always said "only in America," so there. :max:

Well, your actual quote was "Only in America could someone this utterly misguided be a public figure who some people actually take seriously."

Perhaps take a minute to ponder the absurdity of that statement.

Aye, perhaps I phrased it poorly, by "someone this utterly misguided" I didn't mean "someone who has no grasp of reality", in the sense that people take Kim Jong Un seriously in North Korea... I meant that particular Tea Party ideology brand of misguidance.

To be fair, don't a few European countries elect or almost elect some neo-fascist and/or ultra-nationalist parties every year?

I'll thank you not to refer to us as European if you don't mind dear. <_<

Edited by Dazey

To be fair, don't a few European countries elect or almost elect some neo-fascist and/or ultra-nationalist parties every year?

the golden dawn was elected to three seats in greece i think it was this year. these guys are considered neo nazi's and fascists. this stuff happens everywhere not just in the US.