weak(est) point of CD : the lack of drum/bass intros ?

gunsNbones

my opinion about the intros

1, CD : is that a remake of money for nothing ? apart 1 minute without music, the intro is a good one to start an album

2, SR : don't like the firsts chords. after, it's pretty fresh

3, better : what's that ??

4, SOD : don't like it

5, ITW : like it

6, TWAT : is that a can we hear ?

7, CITR : like it

8, scraped : hum hum

9, R&B : don't remember. never liked the song anyway

10, sorry : like it

11, IRS : no intro

12, madagascar : like it

13, TIL : no intro

14, prostitute : is that an intro ? the end with the sea waves is like an answer to the 1st minute with many people talking and making a lot of confusion. it's a conceptual thing.

I miss intros like browstone, RQ, DTJ or YCBM. a drum/bass section that kicks your ass.

but CD is certainly an ode to the guitar, from the first note of sorry's solo to the heavy riffs of scraped.

to some extent, it's optimistic for the next record. it's already done according axl. and the supposed departure of ron won't change anything to its release.

A bigger problem is that the album sounds like a freaking mess, from that horrible Scraped autotune incident to all parts being recorded from anywhere from the late 90's to mid 2000's and cut/pasted together. But I kinda dig this inorganity too, it gives the album a strange personality. And the songs themselves are great.

The single biggest problem with chinese democracy is the amount of layers on the songs like a time warp back to the 90s. Faster, heavier, raw solos where they feel fit should be heard in near future, and a fun album instead of production overhaul should be made but i have doubts until i hear something fresh so i can distinguish the songs from any of the ones before it. I'm not talking about blood in the water.. Have at least three decent music videos, lose all the cowboy gear, keep the jewlery and wear band shirts like a music fan, tell corporate pricks to go fuck themselves. There is no way this wouldn`t be successful or at least garner the attention of people thinking he`s an out of touch musician.

Am I the only one who loves the CD intro ? (yes, the "1 min. without music").

The scraped intro is amazing, I remember hearing it on the TV AD for the first time.

I think there is a huge diversity in the way the songs start and really enjoy them al. I prefer the old IRS intro though

The single biggest problem with chinese democracy is the amount of layers on the songs like a time warp back to the 90s. Faster, heavier, raw solos where they feel fit should be heard in near future, and a fun album instead of production overhaul should be made but i have doubts until i hear something fresh so i can distinguish the songs from any of the ones before it. I'm not talking about blood in the water.. Have at least three decent music videos, lose all the cowboy gear, keep the jewlery and wear band shirts like a music fan, tell corporate pricks to go fuck themselves. There is no way this wouldn`t be successful or at least garner the attention of people thinking he`s an out of touch musician.

100%. My dream is for someone to do a CD remix and just remove some 1 or 2 layers of production. I get that they tried to make all of that noise sound focused, but there's a lot of intricately laid out music going on beneath the surface that people miss. "Prostitute" being a great example.

It's, in truth, the only real, objective problem I have with the album.

Scraped is by far the worst on the record but still gets a 6/10 for me. The second half is where it gets going.

The problem really is the lack of riffs, Better breakdown, CD main riff, Riad verse riff, TWAT chorus, If The World, these are good riffs but Guns N' Roses was always about the riffs in addition to the solos. Izzy Stradlin was an utter sultan at providing the bones of tracks, Axl was lacking this kinda shell structure to build things from, then he gets lost in layers and soundscapes that don't really pack a punch but just create a carnival tent of whacky mirrors and luminous ghosts on walls and dropping cobwebs. It's all intriguing but could've been so much more concise and dynamite if he'd toned the superfluous self-indulgent shiz down and got to the nitty gritty in each track.

A bigger problem is that the album sounds like a freaking mess, from that horrible Scraped autotune incident to all parts being recorded from anywhere from the late 90's to mid 2000's and cut/pasted together. But I kinda dig this inorganity too, it gives the album a strange personality. And the songs themselves are great.

Lol this post changed opinions so fast.

• Like 1

The weakest element of CD is thinking that every song needs at least 72 layers of every instrument and 89 layers of vocals on top of a synthesized and/or pre-recorded intro.

It's just horrible overproduction with not a single bit of rawness on there.

Too many people working on the songs over too long of a period. The album wanted to be everything, and ended up being nothing.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Lol this post changed opinions so fast.

lol, you're right :lol: I tried to mean that the songwriting is good, though the production is really weird and should be much better.

The YCBM or RNDTH bass rumble intro is definitely an old band thing.

I like the Chi dem intro, and Scraped and TWAT. If The World effects are nice.

Tommy needs to do a bass solo intro for CD II on The General.

Yeah, I have noticed this since the beginning. The new band sucked at intros where as the original band excelled in them.

about multilayers tracks, when we listen to some songs it is not so apparent.

for ITW, we have only a few lines : drum, bass, voice, keyboards, acoustic & rhythm guitar and a solo.

the result is not a mess.

the credits does not reflect that because some lines are played by more than 1 musician I think. but it remains 1 layer imo.

100%. My dream is for someone to do a CD remix and just remove some 1 or 2 layers of production. I get that they tried to make all of that noise sound focused, but there's a lot of intricately laid out music going on beneath the surface that people miss. "Prostitute" being a great example.

It's, in truth, the only real, objective problem I have with the album.

listen to this version of chinese

http://www.4shared.com/folder/SRlknXms/_online.html

I wonder how much say Stinson, Buckethead and Finck actually HAD or offered in the intro departments though, you can bet your ass Slash, Izzy and Duff had a hand in almost every intro and Axl either said 'cool' or let them get on with it.

Just take a listen to the intros of Sucker Train Blues and Slither for example.

• Like 1