Last Forum Standing

Jarmo may seem like a kiss ass and his forum is shit but if he's friends with Axl then you can kinda understand it. If anybody was gobbing off giving any of my friends shit I'd defend them most of the time whether it was justified or not. :shrugs:

• Like 1

downzy is right about Jarmo for the most part.

I was also on Jeff's mailing list back in college, and I do recall Jarmo on there. Jarmo, Lars, Kirk...most were good people. And I can also confirm that Jarmo pretty much was always a pretty solid positive fan.

I have taken to posting at HTGTH a lot over the past year or so. And I have to be honest, his rep does not match up with what I see. If what a lot of people swear was true was the truth, I'd have been gone in a week. I don't go over there just to throw bombs, but I sure as shit have no problem being critical. And Jarmo loathes me too. Yet despite that, I have never been suspended, threatened, or even warned. I am pretty much allowed to say what I want.

You know before you go there what the deal is. So if you choose to post there, you can't credibly claim unfair surprise.

If I have a beef, its the complete lack of any levity. We are talking about a god damn rock band here. But everything is treated like SERIOUS BUSINESS. That's what I find crazy. That, and the overly emotional defenses. I can see defending an artist you like. But not with a tone of a mother who's kid is getting picked on in the recess yard. That, I can't relate to.

End of the day, its a much more relaxed and fun time here. But if you actually want to talk about the current situation, you sort of have to go there.

Edited by D-GenerationX
  • Like 1

downzy is right about Jarmo for the most part.

I was also on Jeff's mailing list back in college, and I do recall Jarmo on there. Jarmo, Lars, Kirk...most were good people. And I can also confirm that Jarmo pretty much was always a pretty solid positive fan.

I have taken to posting at HTGTH a lot over the past year or so. And I have to be honest, his rep does not match up with what I see. If what a lot of people swear was true was the truth, I'd have been gone in a week. I don't go over there just to throw bombs, but I sure as shit have no problem being critical. And Jarmo loathes me too. Yet despite that, I have never been suspended, threatened, or even warned. I am pretty much allowed to say what I want.

You know before you go there what the deal is. So if you choose to post there, you can't credibly claim unfair surprise.

If I have a beef, its the complete lack of any levity. We are talking about a god damn rock band here. But everything is treated like SERIOUS BUSINESS. That's what I find crazy. That, and the overly emotional defenses. I can see defending an artist you like. But not with a tone of a mother who's kid is getting picked on in the recess yard. That, I can't relate to.

End of the day, its a much more relaxed and fun time here. But if you actually want to talk about the current situation, you sort of have to go there.

Hey D-Gen, it's been a long time. Those were some funny days back on Boerio's mailing list. Remember when my brother broke into my email account and sent off a private email I had sent to my girlfriend at the time? Fuck, that was super embarrassing... Nice hearing from you. I hope you post here more often going forward. You were always one of my favourite contributors on the old mailing list.

Thanks for backing me up on this. For the people who were following the band online back in the mid 1990s they can attest to the fact that Jarmo was always Jarmo. It's fair to knock the guy for how he moderates but I think many of the personal snipes he gets are uncalled for.

Hey D-Gen, it's been a long time. Those were some funny days back on Boerio's mailing list. Remember when my brother broke into my email account and sent off a private email I had sent to my girlfriend at the time? Fuck, that was super embarrassing... Nice hearing from you. I hope you post here more often going forward. You were always one of my favourite contributors on the old mailing list.

Hahaha. I do recall that.

I was actually just talking about the DNB mailing list over at HTGTH when one of the younger guys was asking about the "dive in and find the monkey" fax.

I still recall going to the college library to check my mail that day. Had literally hundreds of new e-mails, for the first time ever. I did not go to one class that day. Sat through and read them all. I was not making any friends in the library either, as people waiting for the computer could not help but notice I was not using any books or anything, and was pretty clearly not doing any school work.

Many people here talk out of jealousy... Seriously, how can anyone say they wouldn't like to hang out with Axl and travel to so many countries and see the band play directly from the stage, not from the last line in a stadium?

I know I would! Being the artist type I am, I would surely engage in that kind of life... like the kid from "Almost Famous" movie. In that sense, Jarmo doesn't seem to have journalist blood and I agree that him having this huge chance is not being taken in full advantage with his website and forum. Maybe that's due to Axl's privacy issues and like Downzey said, when you've become friends with someone and appreciate them, you will not do things to hurt them and blow that friendship. It's retarded.

I have no beef with Jarmo, I don't post at his forum because it's "dead" and there's nothing interesting to talk about in there. Back in the day, I was a member and commented once in a while, but I wasn't much of a regular. He never banned me. Just modified a couple of my outbursts but that was it.

Much of the hate Jarmo gets I guess it's because he's not the typical hard-rock fan, he's more like a little Bill Gates, nerdish clothes, nerd glasses...

Edit:

Oh and before Jarmo there was "Axlette". Old-school fans will remember she was one of the first fans being graced by Axl. She was invited to his house along with her little son and she was the first one to mention there was a song called "Madagascar" back in 1999. People didn't believe her.

Edited by tinyrobot

Much of the hate Jarmo gets I guess it's because he's not the typical hard-rock fan, he's more like a little Bill Gates, nerdish clothes, nerd glasses...

Wrong. It's because he kisses so much ass, he doesn't even have his own identity anymore. Like, imagine having absolutely no independent thoughts of your own, or tossing them out of the window in exchange to live vicariously through famous people. He's basically a yes man... only he does it for free.

In this world, that's not how you get respect. If he had something of value to offer the world, or invented the fucking iPhone or something like that and made friends with Axl through those means, fine. But his claim to fame is basically living parasitically off of Axl Rose's fame... fame which he worked for and earned.

I personally don't know the guy... but I know his type. I don't waste sleep on it, or hate him in anyway. But I have my opinion and that's what I think.

Many people here talk out of jealousy... Seriously, how can anyone say they wouldn't like to hang out with Axl and travel to so many countries and see the band play directly from the stage, not from the last line in a stadium?

I would... but not at the cost of losing my own independent thoughts, opinions and feelings. I would not give my own identity up just to suck off famous people and fly around on someone else's tab.

Edited by combos
  • Like 1

Wrong. It's because he kisses so much ass, he doesn't even have his own identity anymore. Like, imagine having absolutely no independent thoughts of your own, or tossing them out of the window in exchange to live vicariously through famous people. He's basically a yes man... only he does it for free.

In this world, that's not how you get respect. If he had something of value to offer the world, or invented the fucking iPhone or something like that and made friends with Axl through those means, fine. But his claim to fame is basically living parasitically off of Axl Rose's fame... fame which he worked for and earned.

I personally don't know the guy... but I know his type. I don't waste sleep on it, or hate him in anyway. But I have my opinion and that's what I think.

I would... but not at the cost of losing my own independent thoughts, opinions and feelings. I would not give my own identity up just to suck off famous people and fly around on someone else's tab.

What was his old identity? I never knew a side of him that wasn't him being a GN'R fan.

How do you know he lives off Axl? I thought he was from Belgium (or some place like that) and travels with the band when he is invited to the shows but I didn't know he had moved into Axl's mansion... when did this happen?

Why do people have to be celebrities or Steve Jobs in order to hang out with Axl? I don't get that.... Maybe normal people is the kind of people Axl needs around. Normal people with normal lives so he gets sense of what's being normal, because Axl has certainly lost sense of what's leading a normal regular boring life ever since he became a millionaire celebrity!

As for being a "yes" man... what is Jarmo's entitlement to give one single opinion on Axl's art, career, albums, shows, etc...? I mean, he's just a fan who enjoys his music (like all of us) but why should Jarmo suggest anything to Axl? Jarmo is not an Axl's peer. Jarmo is not Axl's manager. Jarmo is not Axl's relative or family. Jarmo has no place in telling anything to Axl Rose.... what is he supposed to do? Go to Axl and say "hey, you're fat, exercise. hey, rehearse more!. hey, change the set-list cuz fans are giving you shit!".... pssss...come on....!

I don't think Jarmo is remotely "famous". Outside the circle of GN'R nutsos like us, no one has a goddamn clue of who Jarmo is (nor who the hell is Beta or Fernando or Del James). And I don't see how he makes a living off Guns N' Roses.... does he sell GN'R related stuff? Does Jarmo commercialize books, magazines, t-shirts, EP's and any other thing related to his trips with the band?

I know other fans and forums and friends, ex-friends, exes and all kind of leeches who actually do this, but so far Jarmo haven't pulled out that kind of stuff. Maybe in the future he does. I don't know. Probably he's writting a book in secret :P

• Like 1

You ruined the dream by having to hang out with Axl and see his shitty band. Otherwise, yes, I would like to travel to different countries.

Why is Jarmo required to help out other fans? Have any of you guys scored free tickets for random strangers?

I've never liked the way he runs HTGTH.

But Downzy makes some great points. It's his forum to do with however he wants. I have a FB page that celebrates the music I love. And because of it, I've chatted with a few old "rock" stars - guys from Tora Tora, Junkyard, Dangerous Toys, Babylon A.D. I started it as a FAN page - meaning if people are disrespectful or rude about the artists I like - I give them one warning and then I delete them from the page. It isn't about freedom of speech, it isn't an open forum for people to post whatever they want. It's my page and I am the dictator. And if people don't like it - they can go find one of the other millions of rock pages to post on.

I don't like HTGTH so I don't post there. And he has been a douche to me a the couple of times I've posted there. But Jarmo can do whatever he wants. It's his forum to operate however he chooses.

Personally, I'd rather take my daughter to the beach for a couple hours or go build a fort with my son than I would want to hang out for a couple weeks on tour with The Beta, Fernando, Del and the rest of GnR. But that's MY personal choice. If Jarmo wants to be best buddies with The Beta and company - more power to him. It's his life to do as he pleases with. My co-worker's wife was out of town last weekend and he said from Friday-to-Monday he logged in 30 hours playing some new online video game. Everybody is free to do whatever they want with their lives.

I've said some rude things about him giving up his dignity to be a celeb worshipper in the past. Thank you for your detailed posts Downzy, you've made me realize I was wrong with some of the things I was saying.

Jarmo doesn´t have any obligation to help other fans. But he could do things to make his forum atractive to fans. One thing he could do is to help fans. But if helping other fans is such crime then he could at least try to get information or something. He does nothing. It looks like he doesn´t care about his forum. If that´s the case, why he bothers to run a forum?

As for him being an Axl die hard supporter and a friend, well, I think Axl has more than enough yes man around him. I don´t think that Jarmo is a bigger and better fan just because he has become yet another yes man. Being a yes man is not the same as being a real friend.

Maybe he has chilled out now that his forum is dead.. Because he used to be a total dickhead.. I haven't posted there in years so I dunno...

Jarmo was an ass clown long before Axl took him under his wings.. He was the perfect dick sucking yes man that Axl likes to surround himself with.

• Like 1

Not to be negative or anything, but Mygnr thrives? You must not have been here some years ago. The activity is a lot lower than it used to be.

I don't disagree, but it's been a lot worse. I'm always surprised when I see a new thread in D&N, even more surprised that on the very rare occasion it's something that hasn't been discussed a thousand times before. I think the fact that older members continue to come back, and new members continue to sign up says a lot for it's endurance. During these quiet times it's not so much about the band, it's more about the community. And the forum has definitely gone thru it's cycles, from it's highest highs (Axl coming to chat) to it's lowest lows (Eric announcing he was shutting it down) and everything in between. Moderating has a lot to do with the tone as well. This place has certainly seen it's share of ups and downs in that regard.

I don't actually mind when there's less activity. After Axl's appearance and CD came out, this place was flooded with too many people, too many threads, too many shitty opinions. Now there's less people, with just as many shitty opinions, but at least you know most of them. In a weird way it's just like family, some you like, some you hate, and some you try your best to tolerate and ignore just to keep the peace.

• Like 1

Is this true, that he used to be pro-Slash before being put on the payroll. This is the tenure of that cartoon, which I cannot seem to locate.

/jarmo and team Brazil reported the YouTube and got it taken down :violin:

Here today gone to tool was so funny

Downzy I like a ton of your posts, but that last one says more about you than Axl or jarmo.

The fact that they were cool with you one night years ago doesn't change how they've played things with the wider fanbase. Did you like cd more after chatting with Axl? Of course not - it doesn't follow.

The long-time gnr hardcore is rife with ill-considered superiority complexes. People claim authority for no logical reason. MSL is the master of it, and regularly looks like an idiot as a consequence.

But seeing as we're comparing dicks, I've done the red solo cup thing too. People were cool, the fans were like rabbits in the road, and I didn't speak to or see Jarmo. But even if he poured me a drink and talked about my team, he'd still be a bitch, and Axl would still need to release music.

The point is, jarmo's admirable dedication went rotten. His commitment in the dark years does not validate in any way what happened later. Nor does a nice chat with him.

But why does Jarmo need validation? And who from, you? Why does he care what you or anyone else think? This is what I fail to understand. Jarmo runs an online GNR discussion forum that tries to be supportive of Axl and present day GNR. Sure, he's advocacy for the band can border on militancy, but that's his call. And ultimately, people can decide whether they want to join in the conversations Jarmo wants to have at his site or they can find other places that appeals more to them. I still don't see the need to scorn the guy simply because he's been living the dream of any hardcore GNR fan would kill for.

What I don't get is the attitude you're expressing in this post. We all want Axl to release new music, but why do people take it so personally when he doesn't deliver? Criticize him as an artist, but I don't understand to vilify the guy as a person because he's failed your expectations. I, like everyone else, get disappointed when we're six years out and the follow up to CD doesn't seem imminent, but I'm not going to take personal shots at Axl for it (not saying you are Hubba, but let's agree that it does happen a lot around here). Jarmo chooses to purge such comments at his forum; we do not (for the most part - there's limits). The reason we allow for a more open forum of exchange is because we feel it's important for fans to have a place to vent. Ultimately, most wouldn't be posting here if they weren't fans in some shape or form. I am confident that the minute Axl starts performing a different lineup of songs or releases new music some of his most ardent critics will be the first to attend a show or buy the record. That is where HTGTH and MYGNRFORUM differ in philosophies. We don't view every person who has a criticism of the band or the artist as a hater. I think that's a fair criticism of Jarmo and his site, but many of the personal slights that are thrown at him are often way off base and uncalled for. To me, calling Jarmo a "bitch" is nonsense.

Wrong. YOU are saying Jarmo's commitment to guns validates his approach to his board.

If I had friends I really cared about, I would not run a message board that invited the public to comment on them and their art, knowing most of those comments would be negative. Why would I create a platform for strangers to insult them, and then censor it? I'd just shut it down and enjoy their company.

The truth is, jarmo wants it both ways. He spent years building his site, and it's his core justification for the position he's now in. But these days, thanks to his behaviour, he has a stake in about 0.001% of the remaining hardcore guns fanbase. Have Axl and Del realised? Of course, but they'll never publicly acknowledge the situation. There's too much face to lose. They'll just slowly cut him out.

You're right about calling him a bitch tho, that's not constructive.

Again, I don't think Jarmo created the forum as a means to be come close the band. Remember, Jarmo started the website well before any of us ever knew whether Axl would ever be seen in public. It was a fan site. The thing is, once GNR invited him in to their world, he became ingratiated out of a sense of loyalty and friendship, not just because of the perks.

I'm not disagreeing with people who find the manner in which he moderates unappealing. Look, I get it, nobody likes having posts deleted by an admin/mod because they do not agree with them. And it just zaps all the fun and enthusiasm when you can't even point out the most obvious criticisms about the band. Trust me, I get it.

What I disagree with is the cynical perspective that Jarmo sold his soul to be a hanger on. In my opinion, it just didn't happen that way.

Downzy I like a ton of your posts, but that last one says more about you than Axl or jarmo.

The fact that they were cool with you one night years ago doesn't change how they've played things with the wider fanbase. Did you like cd more after chatting with Axl? Of course not - it doesn't follow.

The long-time gnr hardcore is rife with ill-considered superiority complexes. People claim authority for no logical reason. MSL is the master of it, and regularly looks like an idiot as a consequence.

But seeing as we're comparing dicks, I've done the red solo cup thing too. People were cool, the fans were like rabbits in the road, and I didn't speak to or see Jarmo. But even if he poured me a drink and talked about my team, he'd still be a bitch, and Axl would still need to release music.

The point is, jarmo's admirable dedication went rotten. His commitment in the dark years does not validate in any way what happened later. Nor does a nice chat with him.

But why does Jarmo need validation? And who from, you? Why does he care what you or anyone else think? This is what I fail to understand. Jarmo runs an online GNR discussion forum that tries to be supportive of Axl and present day GNR. Sure, he's advocacy for the band can border on militancy, but that's his call. And ultimately, people can decide whether they want to join in the conversations Jarmo wants to have at his site or they can find other places that appeals more to them. I still don't see the need to scorn the guy simply because he's been living the dream of any hardcore GNR fan would kill for.

What I don't get is the attitude you're expressing in this post. We all want Axl to release new music, but why do people take it so personally when he doesn't deliver? Criticize him as an artist, but I don't understand to vilify the guy as a person because he's failed your expectations. I, like everyone else, get disappointed when we're six years out and the follow up to CD doesn't seem imminent, but I'm not going to take personal shots at Axl for it (not saying you are Hubba, but let's agree that it does happen a lot around here). Jarmo chooses to purge such comments at his forum; we do not (for the most part - there's limits). The reason we allow for a more open forum of exchange is because we feel it's important for fans to have a place to vent. Ultimately, most wouldn't be posting here if they weren't fans in some shape or form. I am confident that the minute Axl starts performing a different lineup of songs or releases new music some of his most ardent critics will be the first to attend a show or buy the record. That is where HTGTH and MYGNRFORUM differ in philosophies. We don't view every person who has a criticism of the band or the artist as a hater. I think that's a fair criticism of Jarmo and his site, but many of the personal slights that are thrown at him are often way off base and uncalled for. To me, calling Jarmo a "bitch" is nonsense.

Wrong. YOU are saying Jarmo's commitment to guns validates his approach to his board.

If I had friends I really cared about, I would not run a message board that invited the public to comment on them and their art, knowing most of those comments would be negative. Why would I create a platform for strangers to insult them, and then censor it? I'd just shut it down and enjoy their company.

The truth is, jarmo wants it both ways. He spent years building his site, and it's his core justification for the position he's now in. But these days, thanks to his behaviour, he has a stake in about 0.001% of the remaining hardcore guns fanbase. Have Axl and Del realised? Of course, but they'll never publicly acknowledge the situation. There's too much face to lose. They'll just slowly cut him out.

You're right about calling him a bitch tho, that's not constructive.

I think there is a more worrying point in regards to, what does this say about the band? The type of fan GN'R prefers is a jarmo brown noser. The rest of us are, complaints complaints complaints. GN'R can literally, not handle, criticism.

"GNR", jarmo, Team Brazil can literally eat a bag of dicks

There's no need to call jarmo a bitch, but there's no need to defend him. He dig his own grave/fortune

I think most of us don't want to be Axl's puppy and i hope most us enjoy their own life rather than being a leech

I REALLY hope downzy wasn't defending jarmo because he became an admin now...

(maybe i risk a ban now, but who cares)

I've both defended Jarmo as a person for years but also I've criticized his moderating style for just as long. I've made these arguments long before I ever became a Mod (and later an admin).

Nobody is arguing that precipitous drop in activity over at HTGTH isn't the result of Jarmo's moderation style. But I think most people aren't aware of who Jarmo was from the get-go.

Downzy - I wasn't initially aware of who Jarmo was when I first started getting interested in posting on this site and HTGTH.

It didn't take me long once I started reading both sites who he was, what his basic history is and current day position that the guy has his own agenda, which is fine, that site is HIS site, he can do what he likes with it. But that style of governance will attract criticism and IMO it's warranted.

What grates me more than anything is the same thing that seems to grate others which is his Hittler style moderation of his site. As others have stated he's opened a forum to the public and yet doesn't want to hear what some have to say, his behaviour and what he's trying to achieve on that site is basically insanity.

He probably doesn't give a shit, so be it, I'm not really losing any sleep over it, but the guy isn't normal and yes, he comes a cross as an arse licking fanboy. Plenty of people share that opinion.

For the record, I wouldn't swap positions with him either, saying everyone would is false.

As much as I love GnR, I have a life, GnR would consume about 0.5% of it.

Not to be negative or anything, but Mygnr thrives? You must not have been here some years ago. The activity is a lot lower than it used to be.

I don't disagree, but it's been a lot worse. I'm always surprised when I see a new thread in D&N, even more surprised that on the very rare occasion it's something that hasn't been discussed a thousand times before. I think the fact that older members continue to come back, and new members continue to sign up says a lot for it's endurance. During these quiet times it's not so much about the band, it's more about the community. And the forum has definitely gone thru it's cycles, from it's highest highs (Axl coming to chat) to it's lowest lows (Eric announcing he was shutting it down) and everything in between. Moderating has a lot to do with the tone as well. This place has certainly seen it's share of ups and downs in that regard.

I don't actually mind when there's less activity. After Axl's appearance and CD came out, this place was flooded with too many people, too many threads, too many shitty opinions. Now there's less people, with just as many shitty opinions, but at least you know most of them. In a weird way it's just like family, some you like, some you hate, and some you try your best to tolerate and ignore just to keep the peace.

Well yeah, and I didn't even say anything about that. Even if Zint and some others saw my comment as some criticism of this forum it wasn't. For me it's just a bit weird to call it that the forum is still thriving when the activity is half as big as it was 8 years ago. The reason for why that is doesn't matter, to me it's just the opposite of thriving. Well, not even to me, by the very definition of the word. But yeah. I wouldn't be here if I hated everything about it, I just don't agree it's thriving.

Also sorry for eventual spelling mistakes it's Saturday night here at 4am and I've had a few.

Downzy - I wasn't initially aware of who Jarmo was when I first started getting interested in posting on this site and HTGTH.

It didn't take me long once I started reading both sites who he was, what his basic history is and current day position that the guy has his own agenda, which is fine, that site is HIS site, he can do what he likes with it. But that style of governance will attract criticism and IMO it's warranted.

What grates me more than anything is the same thing that seems to grate others which is his Hittler style moderation of his site. As others have stated he's opened a forum to the public and yet doesn't want to hear what some have to say, his behaviour and what he's trying to achieve on that site is basically insanity.

He probably doesn't give a shit, so be it, I'm not really losing any sleep over it, but the guy isn't normal and yes, he comes a cross as an arse licking fanboy. Plenty of people share that opinion.

For the record, I wouldn't swap positions with him either, saying everyone would is false.

And I think some of what you say are valid criticisms (though highly hyperbolic. I mean, really, a Hitler comparison? The guy is a little zealous at censoring his own fan forum and you refer to him as though he has Hitler-like qualities. Again, really?).

The difference of opinion is whether Jarmo moderates the way he does because he's a fan and a friend of Axl and the band or does it do for selfish reasons (the perks). That's where the argument lies. Not over how he moderates his forum. Most people like here find his moderating style off-putting, which is why they post here and not at HTGTH. My issue is to those who cynically question his motives and judge him as if they know who he is.

And I think some of what you say are valid criticisms (though highly hyperbolic. I mean, really, a Hitler comparison? The guy is a little zealous at censoring his own fan forum and you refer to him as though he has Hitler-like qualities. Again, really?).

More like Mao's China.

Is this true, that he used to be pro-Slash before being put on the payroll. This is the tenure of that cartoon, which I cannot seem to locate.

Seriously?

If so, what a lame move. GnR has to be the most un-fan-friendly band in the world.

If the band isn't going to release an Illusions documentary then why would they care if some fan put together a bunch of stuff about it?

If the band had anything to do with this being taken down, this move should go in their top 10 incidents of f*cking the fans. FANS OF THE BAND.

Whomever got this video taken down is a POS. No joke.

• Like 1

Seriously?

If so, what a lame move. GnR has to be the most un-fan-friendly band in the world.

If the band isn't going to release an Illusions documentary then why would they care if some fan put together a bunch of stuff about it?

If the band had anything to do with this being taken down, this move should go in their top 10 incidents of f*cking the fans. FANS OF THE BAND.

Whomever got this video taken down is a POS. No joke.

It was a cartoon that mocked the shit out of Jarmo, personally. It wasn't exactly high brow.

Nor have much to do with the fans.