The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

Bayern seem a little too upbeat about today's game.

Well if i had to put money on anyone turning the screws on em it'd be Bayern.

I'm sure Barca would be more worried if both Robben and Ribery were available. They ran Barca ragged 2 years ago.

Hernandez is average, no wonder it took him until the end of a season during an injury crisis to start more than 2 games in a row. Finishes like a Championship player most of the time, terrible passer, dives more often than he contributes. I know he scored a few goals recently, but it's not like Madrid don't create a zillion chances each game.

I bet Madrid regret selling Morata and not keeping him on the bench in place of Hernandez.

Only downside about Juve/Barca is the game will entirely focus on whether Surazez will bite someone during the build up/halftime coverage.

Hernandez is average, no wonder it took him until the end of a season during an injury crisis to start more than 2 games in a row. Finishes like a Championship player most of the time, terrible passer, dives more often than he contributes. I know he scored a few goals recently, but it's not like Madrid don't create a zillion chances each game.

I bet Madrid regret selling Morata and not keeping him on the bench in place of Hernandez.

Only downside about Juve/Barca is the game will entirely focus on whether Surazez will bite someone during the build up/halftime coverage.

:D

Stevie Gerrard 's last game today . Has a footballer ever been more scouse? (apart from jonjo Shelvey and i don't even think he's from liverpool). I will admit I thought Gerrard had been a touch overrated, a bit like Cesc Fabregas is now. I thought that way for a good few years until I realised I had been thinking out of my arse. The guy can do everything

He's just kept going and going and going. First I remember seeing him on MOTD and some twat like Michael Owen lost the ball and a lanky 19 year old running back from the penalty area, putting in a brutal tackle cleaning out the ball and smashing it into the top corner from about 30 yards. Fucking great player and it'll be a shame to see him go although probably the right time for him and the club.

I've always wanted England to do well in world cups and how no one has managed to get a team to at least a semi with Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Rooney, Terry, Cole, Ferdinand, Owen, Shearer, Beckham, Campbell is a mystery. And I'd put Gerrard as the best out of that lot, ahead of Scholes because of the range of things Gerrard does. A lot of sentimentality in football but this bloke has done over 700 games n been a proper player.

I've always wanted England to do well in world cups and how no one has managed to get a team to at least a semi with Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Rooney, Terry, Cole, Ferdinand, Owen, Shearer, Beckham, Campbell is a mystery.

That's because other teams had Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Figo, Zidane, Henry, Muller, Gotze, Suarez etc. It's not that England were bad, their record in qualifiers was pretty dominant. But 1 on 1 vs an elite team, they've never really played great on the day, or had the luck go in their favor.

• Like 1

I've always wanted England to do well in world cups and how no one has managed to get a team to at least a semi with Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Rooney, Terry, Cole, Ferdinand, Owen, Shearer, Beckham, Campbell is a mystery.

That's because other teams had Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Figo, Zidane, Henry, Muller, Gotze, Suarez etc. It's not that England were bad, their record in qualifiers was pretty dominant. But 1 on 1 vs an elite team, they've never really played great on the day, or had the luck go in their favor.

This is true, those players were amazing and I would add Edgar Davids, Giggs, Vierra so many fantastic players from that era. I just think that in the ten years 2000-00 England had a solid base of experienced players who had or (have gone onto) play over 500 games for top champions league clubs and the best they did was 1/4 finals. To get that group of players all at the same time was, I feel a chance to put a real mark on a big international competition but it never happened. I guess they were not up to it.

Gerrard is good, not great. His best performances come after he's fucked up and cost his team, so he tries to make amends.

Difference is that he can't do it now and just looks shit all the time.

Lampard and Scholes were both better, and Gerrard isn't even a best XI Premier League player - Keane and Viera both outdo him.

I'm not watching TV as Sky and BBC are having a total wankfest over him.

Every player on that list, with the possible exception of Owen, played significantly better for their clubs than England. It is as if there is a huge gap between the 'club' and the 'country player' and you have got to talk of them in separate terms. Gerrard is Mr Liverpool midfield maestro for his club whereas for England you would say things like, ''he did a good stint'', ''he played solidly''. Similar scenario with Lampard, Rooney. Club v country. The FA Premiership's players have voted overwhelmingly, 'club'. It saddens me to say it. Heck, Shearer and Scholes (and Carragher also) couldn't even be arsed with England any more.

Gerrard is good, not great. His best performances come after he's fucked up and cost his team, so he tries to make amends.

Difference is that he can't do it now and just looks shit all the time.

Lampard and Scholes were both better, and Gerrard isn't even a best XI Premier League player - Keane and Viera both outdo him.

I'm not watching TV as Sky and BBC are having a total wankfest over him.

Take your blinkers off Chris, he'd have to make a best premier league 11, i'd have

Schmeichel

Cole

Ferdinand

Terry/Campbell (no room for Adams sorry, and fuck off Len :lol:)

Neville/Lauren

Giggs (captain, kit man, physio, manager, bus driver, vibe provider)

Ronaldo

Gerrard

Vierra

Scholes

Henry/Bergkamp

Nee wor Alan. Classic, elbow a hapless defender while heading the ball in the net. Heck, it worked every time?

It was a tough call leaving Shearer out but on balance Henry edged it for sexy french charisma which you just can't find on tyneside and Bergkamp deserves the back up slot for this alone

• Like 1

(no room for Adams sorry, and fuck off Len :lol:)

John Terry over fuckin' Tony Adams, are you taking the piss? :lol: I got a blindspot over Tony Adams, I'm reasonably certain he's some kind of God or superhero.

I'm gonna name my first kid Tony Adams. Tony Adams Khan :lol: Don't sound right does it? :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

(no room for Adams sorry, and fuck off Len :lol:)

John Terry over fuckin' Tony Adams, are you taking the piss? :lol: I got a blindspot over Tony Adams, I'm reasonably certain he's some kind of God or superhero.

I'm gonna name my first kid Tony Adams. Tony Adams Khan :lol: Don't sound right does it? :lol:

Better than naming after Brendan Rogers.

England should have just dropped either Lampard/Gerrard there was never any reason to play both. By the time someone did try to sort the teams balance, it was too late and half the team were crap. Hargreaves was another issue, by the time anyone realized he was playing for Bayern Munich and had won everything at club level he'd already been played in every position he didn't play at club level except Goal Keeper.

England could have/should of won Euro 2004, all the other big teams in that tournament were playing terribly. They probably could have got to the final in 2006 as well and got a runner-up spot.

Never understand why Heskey kept getting call ups though.

Edited by AtariLegend

England should have just dropped either Lampard/Gerrard there was never any reason to play both. By the time someone did try to sort the teams balance, it was too late and half the team were crap. Hargreaves was another issue, by the time anyone realized he was playing for Bayern Munich and had won everything at club level he'd already been played in every position he didn't play at club level except Goal Keeper.

England could have/should of won Euro 2004, all the other big teams in that tournament were playing terribly. They probably could have got to the final in 2006 as well and got a runner-up spot.

Never understand why Heskey kept getting call ups though.

Could and should, but ultimately, didn't. The story of England of the last twenty years.

I think people underrate Gerrard because of England, but he's a few years past it. He isn't the Pirlo type where it doesn't matter. He was a fantastic player for the past 15 years.

Last year though, it wasn't about Gerrard's performances, it's been a few years since he was the star of the show. Rodgers blew it with the Surazez money. I'm even less optimistic now about next season than I was last year when I found out that Rodgers had blown all that money on Southampton. We're not going to be able to sign anyone that'll make an immediate difference now.

• Like 1

How can people say Grrrard is underrated when you see Sky Sports turns into Liverpool TV and have a constant wank over him.

overrated.

Less goals, less trophies than Lampard. Less trophies than Scholes (don't know about goals)