The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

Madrid sacked Carlo tonight for finishing 2nd in the league (2 points from winning it) and only reaching the semi's of the champions league.

Carlo last year won the Champions League/UEFA Super Cup/World Club Cub/Spanish Cup and ended 2015 with a 22 match winning streak (almost a world record).

They plan to replace Carlo according to rumors with Benitez....

World football's governing body has been dogged by allegations of corruption and wrongdoing in recent years.

The latest events are another major blow, although Fifa communications director Walter De Gregorio insisted the organisation was committed to reform.

"This is good for Fifa," he told a news conference following news of the arrests. "It hurts, it is not easy, but it confirms we are on the right track."

He said Blatter was "very calm", adding that the 79-year-old Swiss "is fully co-operating".

Fifa later issued a statement welcoming "actions that can help contribute to rooting out any wrongdoing in football".

:rofl-lol:

SruSDff.gif

Edited by sturginho
  • Like 1

Saw a great tweet - "FIFA wanted to get Americams interested in football. Shame the Americans who got interested were the FBI"

Question is, with the timing of this, who are they clearing out? Is it Blatters friends or his enemies?

Have you guys seen some of the ideas his competitors have promised? No wonder it's fixed for Blatter to win.

Figo has some crazy ideas before he withdrew like a 48 team world cup and other red flags that made sure he never would had a chance, but he did mention that the candidates did not have to present manifestos to voters. It's completely fixed, they just put radical crazy's up for nomination with Blatter, so Blatter comes of as the logical choice. Isn't the Prince of Jordan now the only person who hasn't backed-out of the race to oppose Blatter?

Edited by AtariLegend

Have you guys seen some of the ideas his competitors have promised? No wonder it's fixed for Blatter to win.

Figo has some crazy ideas before he withdrew like a 48 team world cup and other red flags that made sure he never would had a chance, but he did mention that the candidates did not have to present manifestos to voters. It's completely fixed, they jusr put radical crazy's up for nomination with Blatter, so Blatter comes of as the logical choice. Isn't the Prince of Jordan now the only person who hasn't backed-out of the race to oppose Blatter?

Yes he is the only rival left. I thought Figo was the only one who sounded sane? Although expanding from 32 teams wouldnt really work unless you scrapped the group stage and went straight to knockouts

Well, when you award the World Cup to Russia, then follow it up with Qatar four years later, you're basically begging to be investigated.

When I read the news I immediately recalled this great bit by John Oliver:

• Like 1

Question is, with the timing of this, who are they clearing out? Is it Blatters friends or his enemies?

So this could still turn out very bad.

You never know. Just imagine this like a TV drama where there are political power struggles and people are eliminating allies and enemies.

I am however confident that Blatter is not behind this, it doesn't fit to remove so many high ranking officials that cover the entire timeline of his reign.

So this could still turn out very bad.
You never know. Just imagine this like a TV drama where there are political power struggles and people are eliminating allies and enemies.

I am however confident that Blatter is not behind this, it doesn't fit to remove so many high ranking officials that cover the entire timeline of his reign.

I thought I read somewhere that he was investigated, too, but there wasn't enough to issue an arrest warrant at this time and that the investigation was ongoing. Hopefully, they'll be able to get him, too.

Make no mistake, the FBI is gunning for Blatter. These were senior guys (both in FIFA and in age), you know some will roll on their boss to keep themselves out of prison.

Here's a good run down of what has been disclosed thus far:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/27/feds-will-break-fifa-like-the-mafia.html

I suppose I have to take back my insistence that there is nothing exciting about soccer.