The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

I read that's Wenger's first win in 14 over Mourinho, insane stuff.

Di Maria is pissing off, so his house got broken into and Ashley Young put him on the bench so his reaction after a tepid season is to run off to the Paris sunshine? At least Falcao wanted to stick around and keep trying to find his old self, I'm a lot more disappointed in our most recent number 7, Owen was more worthy than him and I liked Owen and thought he should've played more but expected someone who used to be a Galactico to give it more of a go. (yeah I know MO did but different circumstances). Then again he all but admitted he wanted PSG before he came here anyway.

Edited by RandallFlagg

John Greig. Captained the European Cup Winners' Cup Champions in 1972, Rangers and Scotland captain and subsequent Rangers manager.

Ally McCoist has lost a lot of goodwill from Rangers fans recently because of his legacy as manager. He was selected without interview by his predecessor, largely because of who he was as a player rather than his own management expertise, didn't use the demotion to the 3rd division to blood the youth and create a solid team but instead bought in a lot of old Premier League players with no sell-on value and extremely high wages. Then there was the turgid football, despite a budget way in excess of any of his competitors, he couldn't get Rangers back into the top flight in 3 consecutive seasons, being soundly thrashed in terms of points by both Hearts and Hibernian (not to mention regularly beaten by the mighty Alloa Athletic, Raith Rovers and Queen of the South). He had the highest managerial salary in Scottish Football (£750,000 per year). A salary he has continued to take until the end of his contract despite having been out of the role for over 6 months.

I think it's galling for a lot of fans who want to be able to celebrate his legacy as the club's greatest goal-scorer that his relationship with the institution has gone so downhill.

Sounds familiar.

What I meant was, my main footballing watching era was during the era of McCoist (and Gazza, Ian Rush).

Or Dixie Dean or Nobby Stiles :lol:

Spent last night stuck in London traffic with Arsenal shirt wearing Asians surrounding me.

Didn't watch the game, haven't read a review, I have been absent from all technology since 9pm on Saturday.

Not like it counts for much, Mourinho'll have em turning it on when the season starts proper.

Or Dixie Dean or Nobby Stiles :lol:

Glorious. Those are footballers' names. Bobby also - Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton. Now we have Vierra which sounds like a sexually transmitted disease. Even the English guys have weird names now: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Micah Richards?

In the good old days it would have been ''Jackie Wilshere'', ''Jimmy Milner'' and ''Jackie Rodwell''.

What is that guy, English player for Newcastle, and the pundits used to pronounce his name differently? Shearer used to pronounce it one way and he was his former team mate. Have you ever heard Shearer pronounce Sissoko, with the longated geordie 'os'. I used to laugh at that on MOTD.

In the good old days it would have been ''Jackie Wilshere'', ''Jimmy Milner'' and ''Jackie Rodwell''.

What is that guy, English player for Newcastle, and the pundits used to pronounce his name differently? Shearer used to pronounce it one way and he was his former team mate. Have you ever heard Shearer pronounce Sissoko, with the longated geordie 'os'. I used to laugh at that on MOTD.

Back in the day even argentine players had proper footballer names like Ossie, now it's all Hammez and Leeeonel

I think he is Jackie Wilshere in the dressing room :lol: Trevor Brooking, theres a football players name!

Theres this Geordie commentator on the yank broadcasts who is hilairious!

Ecoute :lol:

Yeah Ray Hudson's a legend over here. I've seen sports shows over here have countdowns of his most outrageous calls.

I think he is Jackie Wilshere in the dressing room :lol: Trevor Brooking, theres a football players name!

Theres this Geordie commentator on the yank broadcasts who is hilairious!

Ecoute :lol:

Yeah Ray Hudson's a legend over here. I've seen sports shows over here have countdowns of his most outrageous calls.

I think i watch a lot of footy from Canada then cuz on BEin sports or some channel like that i used to catch him tons doing La Liga, back when i could be bothered to keep up with La Liga regularly i used to catch him tons, spunking his load goin' 'UGH! MAJESTERIAL!' followed by a slew of rhyming superlatives :lol:

When they are 2-0 down and score a goal, why do footballers do that odd thing when they sprint into the opposition net, retrieve the ball by picking it up, and run to the centre to place it down. It is annoying.

To stop the other team wasting time and keep the momentum going so the others cant do the obvious slow everything down tactics to hang onto their lead.

Edited by Len B'stard

When they are 2-0 down and score a goal, why do footballers do that odd thing when they sprint into the opposition net, retrieve the ball by picking it up, and run to the centre to place it down. It is annoying.

To stop the other team wasting time.

It is basically to make a rhetorical point, isn't it? It is stupid.

Not really, its 100% functional, the clocks ticking and the opposition are going to try and waste time as much as possible. Plus its a momentum thing, when you score everyone gets the bit between their teeth and get fierce, its the oppositions job to kill that off so you try to avoid that.

I know in hockey, 2-0 is the most dangerous lead to have. Because if the other team gets their act together enough to get 1 back, they can get another, or more.

More like they say 'stop faffin' about with those ridiculous looking bats and get on home to your husbands you silly cows' :lol:

On Topic:

Ahhh football season returns, i feel complete again :). And what better way to start the season than a game between the two shitest teams in the world ever, United and Tottenham, here's hoping for a nil nil draw.

Edited by Len B'stard

Stuck £10 on

Manchester United

Arsenal

Chelsea

Manchester City

returns just under £50

Out of them I've got a feeling it could be Chelsea that fuck your bet up. I fancy Swansea to sneak a draw.

I didn't have a flutter today I left it too late. I took a battering off Ladbrokes last season to be honest. I would put an accumulator on virtually every weekend and only won once and that was just four or five bankers so wasn't a great deal.

Stuck £10 on

Manchester United

Arsenal

Chelsea

Manchester City

returns just under £50

Out of them I've got a feeling it could be Chelsea that fuck your bet up. I fancy Swansea to sneak a draw.

I didn't have a flutter today I left it too late. I took a battering off Ladbrokes last season to be honest. I would put an accumulator on virtually every weekend and only won once and that was just four or five bankers so wasn't a great deal.

The Taffy Curse strikes :lol:

I know in hockey, 2-0 is the most dangerous lead to have. Because if the other team gets their act together enough to get 1 back, they can get another, or more.

More like they say 'stop faffin' about with those ridiculous looking bats and get on home to your husbands you silly cows' :lol:

Not that hockey. The NHL kind.

Edited by moreblack