The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

Brilliant, we could see Wales, England and potentially Scotland reaching the finals (Scotland are currently the 4th best ranked side in the "best 3rd place team" with Albania currently taking the best 3rd ranked side. Netherlands are below even Scotland!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying#Ranking_of_third-placed_teams

Wow, Northern Ireland are really well placed as well! They've played both games against Romania, and only have Faroe Islands (3 points), Hungary (tough), Greece and Finland left. (Both of whom are below the Faroes!)

Edited by Chris1989

strachan_2452455b.jpg

"When we have the ball, we'll try and score. When the other team have the ball, we'll try and take it off them."

With tactical nous like that, we'll be there.

I miss him as a manager. Match of the Day was always better after his team had lost and they put a microphone in front of him.

Reporter: "So, Gordon, any plans for Europe this year?"

Strachan: "Aye, me and the wife quite fancy Spain in August."

Reporter: "There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?"

Strachan: "Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick. Down negative man, down!"

• Like 1

strachan_2452455b.jpg

"When we have the ball, we'll try and score. When the other team have the ball, we'll try and take it off them."

With tactical nous like that, we'll be there.

I miss him as a manager. Match of the Day was always better after his team had lost and they put a microphone in front of him.

Reporter: "So, Gordon, any plans for Europe this year?"

Strachan: "Aye, me and the wife quite fancy Spain in August."

Reporter: "There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?"

Strachan: "Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick. Down negative man, down!"

"Gordon, a quick word?"

"Velocity."

• Like 1

Saw the result, fuckssake Scotland :(

Stick to hating them like a normal English person, it'll be easier for you, I guarantee.

I always want Scotland, Ireland, Wales to win as long as they're not playing England, what would i look like supporting Georgia against my own neighbours?

England won. San Marino looks pretty nice.

In terms of football need to keep the needle but its all so fake and corrupt that its like watching millionaire shag your girlfriend. You sit there put money on and watch them not be able to beat the first defender on the corner.

Stick to hating them like a normal English person, it'll be easier for you, I guarantee.

I always want Scotland, Ireland, Wales to win as long as they're not playing England, what would i look like supporting Georgia against my own neighbours?

You really do not understand anything about England then Graeme. The notion that English people want the home nations to lose is a thoroughly alien belief to the English. It is not even a conscious choice: it is sub-conscious, ingrained, organic. I watched and supported Scotland in 1998 and even 1996 (sans v England). I support Scotland and Wales in the Six Nations (when they are not playing England). It would be hard for me to support France or Italy! I support Scotland's underdog efforts to increase their public persona in world cricket in order tom achieve test status - same with Ireland who have come on leaps-and-bounds. We have a few Scotsman playing for Durham.

The Scottish would certainly prefer us to think like that as it would aggrandise their aspiration for British internal division and individual national movements but no right thinking Englishman exists who has ever thought that way. Celtic hatred, as directed towards the English nation, seems thoroughly perplexing and disproportionate (in light of history) to the average English mind and social consciousness. We are often left wondering, ''what have we done?'' That is the general response. And I am not saying this is for better or worse as the average Englishman's knowledge of, say, Edwardian Welsh castle or the Irish Potato famine, can be written on a postage stamp. The point is that English people do not think that way. Indeed, it relates to the very conception of sport. The notion of gloating over your enemies seems antithetical to the whole 'competing, not winning' ethic as cherished by the English - often relieving us of sporting defeats. It seems more 'Argentinean' to the English mentality than anything!!

We don't need to win when we already the best innit. I think thats what makes everyone hate the english. The empire backlash. Even though This Scrptred Isle says it was just an accident of trade routes not some play for world domination. But generally we've shagged everyone and act like it was nothing because we are alright. Kind of anyway. Like everyone wants to beat the english. Why? We're shit but just motivates them more. Tea anyone?

You support other teams against Arsenal's neighbours.

You support other teams against Arsenal's neighbours.
I dont support anybody on club level but The Arsenal forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever until i die, as will any offspring of mine otherwise I'll beat em like they just walked into a mosque with a bag of pork scratchings :lol:

But no, Tottenham dont count, they are filth, as are United and anyone who has anything to do with either of them (except yourself obviously cuz you're lovely!).

Edited by Len B'stard

my fantasy team is a wreck: Romero; Darmian, Kompany, Gabriel; Mahrez, Silva, Barkley, Montero; Lukaku, Aguero, Gomis

Subs: Payet, Clyne, Myhill.

Aguero as capt hasnt hatricked yet so no real advantage. Romero, Montero, Gabriel may not play. Lukaku/Barkley v Chelsea they will do nothing. Utd Liverpool 1-1 for sure so no points there. Crystal Palace are awarkward so City might scrape it 0-1. Toure. So I expect another 33 point week.

After the inconvenience of the international break we get back to the real fun. And i can get on with giving my money away to Ladbrokes. Good looking fixture list in the top flight all big games piled into Saturday so match of the day should be good tonight. Who do you fancy?

Everton v Chelsea12:45

Arsenal v Stoke 15:00

Crystal Palace v Man City 15:00

Norwich v Bournemouth 15:00

Watford v Swansea 15:00

West Brom v Southampton 15:00

Man Utd v Liverpool 17:30