The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

KdB played a few starts, few subs, looked completely overcome by the pressure and surroundings. Couldn't control a ball and didn't suit our play.

Worst of all, he didn't have the stomach for a fight, much like Lukaku. That's the downfall of Belgium's golden generation.

Looked it up, what was it 9 appearances? Gotta give the lad a chance man. If there's one criticism of City and you lot (although a lot less you lot, you are quite prudent with the pennies generally speaking) is a lot of good players get bought up that find themselves competing for spots where the game could benefit from a bit of nurture, i think yous lot missed a trick with De Bruyne.

He's right about North America, they probably know more about it now. There's almost a whole counter culture movement of fans that rebel against the accepted local sports, NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA etc. And there's the ones that'll watch all the sports, and that includes soccer now that it's getting popular. If you ever get Messi and Ronaldo to retire in the MLS, it's all over.

Its the best because its the most watched and the most exciting, no one really claims its the strongest. The numbers regarding its worldwide popularity are pretty conclusive. I watch this shit on streams from Mecca for Godssake, Mecca, who the fuck is watch the Tyne Wear Derby in Mecca? :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Is it all marketing and distribution though? Or is it something about the way football is played in it, in the country that invented it? English football has always been somewhat shaky in Europe, more often than not at any rate.

Its kinda like Floyd Mayweather, hes technically brilliant but if its not entertaining then people dont wanna know, people'd rather watch two limited but game fighters like Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti knock lumps out of each other.

In the same way what would you rather watch, the annual Barca vs Real race that is La Liga? The Bayern whitewash that Bundesliga generally is...or would you rather watch United v Liverpool or the Tyne Wear derby or Chelsea taking on some underdog team, going two goals down and ending up a 4-2 win, its exciting, any team in the Prem can beat any team on any given weekend, our cup matches are fierce, its just fantastic to watch. Dont get me wrong its not amazing all the time and there are things wrong with it as with anything but its still above

The rest.

I mean like you're from abroad (over here you are anyway :lol:) and your teams United, what drew you to English football and to support an English team and not say, i dunno, Barca or Sikleborg or whatever?

Edited by Len B'stard

Schmeichel if i recall correctly? You're avoiding the question though as well as reframing the argument as being about English players, I've been talking about the English league, which has players of all nationalities in it as you know.

I can't discount the superior marketing and distribution, because for the longest time all they showed here was Premier League and sometimes FA Cup. You'd see maybe the semis and final of the CL and highlights from Spain and Italy but I'd say 80% of football coverage was England.