The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

Never been a real fan of soccer but the local Boston sports TV station broadcasts Premier League games from time to time. Since my Grandmother was from Liverpool I caught a couple of Liverpool F.C. games recently and I found my self enjoying them. Have no idea who the players are or what the rules are but have to say I found myself rooting for Liverpool in honor of my dear departed nan.

My questions where can I find an short explanation of the rules and is Liverpool any good and who are their best players. I was looking at the league website and saw Liverpool was ranked 12th out of 20 teams so I am guessing they are mediocre at best but how does the standing system work?

Never been a real fan of soccer but the local Boston sports TV station broadcasts Premier League games from time to time. Since my Grandmother was from Liverpool I caught a couple of Liverpool F.C. games recently and I found my self enjoying them. Have no idea who the players are or what the rules are but have to say I found myself rooting for Liverpool in honor of my dear departed nan.

My questions where can I find an short explanation of the rules and is Liverpool any good and who are their best players. I was looking at the league website and saw Liverpool was ranked 12th out of 20 teams so I am guessing they are mediocre at best but how does the standing system work?

3 points for a win, one for a draw and none for losing is how

The points system in the table works, Liverpool are an amazing team, not at their best right now but they have an extremely illustrious history, one of the best in English football. Other than that they stick the ball in your net to score and you stick the ball in theirs. Thats about it really, if the balls goes off at the sides depending which team knocked it out the opposite team get a throw in, meaning you chuck the ball in play using your hands from the line. A corner is when you knock the ball out of play up the front, from your goal end, which results in the other team getting a free kick from the corner, good usually for heading in.

Other than that if u foul a player they get a free kick from the spot you foul em on, if you take em down in the box they get a penalty kick ( one on one with the goalie ).

Can someone else explain the offside rule? Basically you can't be in a position ahead of the other teams players when the ball in played in, you gotta be behind the defence, someone explain it properly please? :lol:

Respect for supporting Liverpool though man, might be rough on ya cuz they aint winning yet but stick with em man, its all about loyalty. You've just copped yourself a new manager so good luck with that!

P.S. Learn the lyrics to the Gerry Marsden song You'll Never Walk Alone, you're gonna need it. You have the best record in Europe out of all the teams in England.

Edited by Len B'stard

3 points for a win, one for a draw and none for losing is how

The points system in the table works, Liverpool are an amazing team, not at their best right now but they have an extremely illustrious history, one of the best in English football. Other than that they stick the ball in your net to score and you stick the ball in theirs. Thats about it really, if the balls goes off at the sides depending which team knocked it out the opposite team get a throw in, meaning you chuck the ball in play using your hands from the line. A corner is when you knock the ball out of play up the front, from your goal end, which results in the other team getting a free kick from the corner, good usually for heading in.

Other than that if u foul a player they get a free kick from the spot you foul em on, if you take em down in the box they get a penalty kick ( one on one with the goalie ).

Can someone else explain the offside rule? Basically you can't be in a position ahead of the other teams players when the ball in played in, you gotta be behind the defence, someone explain it properly please? :lol:

Respect for supporting Liverpool though man, might be rough on ya cuz they aint winning yet but stick with em man, its all about loyalty. You've just copped yourself a new manager so good luck with that!

P.S. Learn the lyrics to the Gerry Marsden song You'll Never Walk Alone, you're gonna need it. You have the best record in Europe out of all the teams in England.

Thanks Lenny!, concerning off sides sounds like you must pass the ball in back towards your goal behind the other teams front line players who are closest to their goal?

I think I figured out what happens when a ball goes out of bounds as it goes to the team who did not last touch it. What constitutes a foul? and when does a foul become a yellow card?

There is only one rule to watching Liverpool. You have to dress like this,

Scousers-e1436263609611.jpg

Thanks Lenny!, concerning off sides sounds like you must pass the ball in back towards your goal behind the other teams front line players who are closest to their goal?

I think I figured out what happens when a ball goes out of bounds as it goes to the team who did not last touch it. What constitutes a foul? and when does a foul become a yellow card?

Off-side:

Say you are attacking, right? If you then pass the ball to a team-mate who happens to stand between the other teams players and their keeper (goalie), that is called off-side and is treated as a foul. What this means is that players can't hang around the other team's goal waiting for the ball to be passed to them. When the ball is passed, they have to have at least one teamplayer from the opposite team between themselves and the goal.

What constitutes a foul? and when does a foul become a yellow card?

Willfully touching the band with your hand or arm. Kicking down an opposing player (it is okay as collateral damage if you first hit the ball like in a tackle). Faking being kicked down. Playing too rough (you basically have to learn what that is). The goalie is also extra protected, so you have to be extra careful with him.

A yellow card is basically given for fouls that are more serious (and red for the worst offenses). Examples of yellow could be tackling an opposing player without touching the ball when that opposing player is about to get a one-on-one with the keeper. Any attacks on players that don't have the ball. Hittign anyone with your elbows when heading (might result in a yellow card).

Off-side:

Say you are attacking, right? If you then pass the ball to a team-mate who happens to stand between the other teams players and their keeper (goalie), that is called off-side and is treated as a foul. What this means is that players can't hang around the other team's goal waiting for the ball to be passed to them. When the ball is passed, they have to have at least one teamplayer from the opposite team between themselves and the goal.

What constitutes a foul? and when does a foul become a yellow card?

Willfully touching the band with your hand or arm. Kicking down an opposing player (it is okay as collateral damage if you first hit the ball like in a tackle). Faking being kicked down. Playing too rough (you basically have to learn what that is). The goalie is also extra protected, so you have to be extra careful with him.

A yellow card is basically given for fouls that are more serious (and red for the worst offenses). Examples of yellow could be tackling an opposing player without touching the ball when that opposing player is about to get a one-on-one with the keeper. Any attacks on players that don't have the ball. Hittign anyone with your elbows when heading (might result in a yellow card).

Thanks Soul that is what I thought the rule was based on Lenny's response.

There is only one rule to watching Liverpool. You have to dress like this,

Scousers-e1436263609611.jpg

Shit man I don't look good in yellow..........I thought their colours were red not yellow? granted I have only seen two games and they were dressed in red and their team store only sells red stuff. I am a big fan of red so where does the yellow come in?

Hows that for atmosphere CR? :).

If you are just starring out at this you might as well just change allegiance to Manchester United right away. Manchester is so close to Liverpool anyway, your grandma wouldn't have minded.

Never ever ever ever ever do that...ever...your Grandma would hate you because they are the fiercest of rivals :lol: Also United are wankers.

Offside is if your team is attacking towards their goal and you are positioned further forward than any of their defenders, so it's just you and their keeper and all their defenders are behind you.

If your in the position I just described you are in an offside position, and if then your team mate passes you the ball the referee will blow his whistle, give the other team a free kick and everyone will call him a cunt :lol:

Only been watching the united game for the last 10 mins and they've ballsed up like 5 clear fuckin' sitters.

COME ON BORO!!! To quote your favorite son Cloughie, or paraphrase rather 'if you cock this up you want bloody shooting!'

Sky it granny shagger!

AHHHHH YA FUCKIN WANKER!!!!!!!!!! (Called it!)

Oh Nugent you twat!

AHHHHHH CARRICK YOU FUCKIN BELLEND!!

BORO BORO BORO BORO BORO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Len B'stard

Liverpool fans are the most deluded tossers in football.

They deny any involvement in Hillsborough despite their drunked fans charging the doors to break into the stadium.

Then at heysel they deny involvemt despite confrontation with the juve fans.

To be a Liverpool fan you need to talk about history, history, Stevie g, this is our year, special European nights at anfield (which is actually silent except for that shit theme song)

Always quiet and always outsung by the opposition, wasn't like that 15 years ago.

If you are just starring out at this you might as well just change allegiance to Manchester United right away. Manchester is so close to Liverpool anyway, your grandma wouldn't have minded.

Yeah Manchester has a joint marketing deal with the NYYankees who are my favorite sports team and Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy, a favorite band of mine, was a big Manchester United fan so it would make some sort of sense but I have to stay loyal to my heritage and root for Liverpool.

Fun fact...... George Best used to drink at Lynott's mothers Clifton Grand Hotel in Manchester. The Thin Lizzy song "For Those Who Love To Live" was written about Best.

I think Liverpool are a good club to support. A real club with a great history. Going to a home game will be an experience just for You'll Never Walk Alone. Great players like Dalglish, Rush. Great managers like Shankly. Just watch out for Souness and McMahon. Liverpool have always had a history of great goalscorers like Fowler and Owen in more recent times.

As I understand it some of the recent problems at Liverpool are tied to Stanley Park (the new stadium that is being built).

Liverpool aren't mediocre at all. The table lies. They are top four, top six team. They have money and a squad and a more importantly a history and support that will never die. So players all around the world will want to play for Liverpool.

They are in transition after losing Suarez and Sterling but I think Klopp will sort them out. That Firmio player looks exciting. Klopp will attract players too. So top six by end of season. Anfield is not an easy place to win for the away team. The fans really won't let it happen.

I saw Sammy Lee is still there so can't go too weird. Also the Red Sox guy is no dummy.

But that stadium is an albatross. 500 mil in debt and not close to completion. Shouldn't even leave Anfield. Like Arsenal have trouble at home because theres not atmosphere in the Emerites compared with Highbury.

If you are the last man and you foul a player going in on goal it's a straight red card.

Can't tackle from behind anymore. Or breathe on a goalkeeper.

A change to offside recently is if you are in an offside position, even if the ball is passed to a player who is not, it's off side. But I think in the first phase of play the player could be on side and shoot and score, but if the goalie parries it to the 2nd player who was in an offside position, it's offside.

Also, i hate referees. At the moment they seem to be horrendous.