1986 BEST RAW GNR YEAR - STEVEN AXL TOE TO TOE

Ugh... I don't see anything spectacularly different about Axl's voice here. Actually it is crappy with excessive rasp, he mess up all verses, goes out of breath in many occasions, doesn't sing some parts, disappears for a while and the tone is way lower than in the record.

you're dead wrong

it's called a live performance

I agree with tinyrobot. I mean he sounds good here but this isn't a top notch performance by Axl. There are much, much, much better live vocal performances from back then, than this one. Plus his not audible for some of the lines he sings. Can barely hear him. The footage is classic footage but there's not really overly special about this performance from any of them actually other tha the time period it's from and judging by a lot of the posts it's clear some have never even seen thsi footage before and are caught up in that more so than the actual performance. It's a typical kickass performance from back in the day but it's not unordinarily spectacular by GnR standards

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

If i could back in the time i would go in this concerts in 85/86 they were epics real Rock N' Roll

Agreed 100%. Any GnR show from this era at any club on Sunset Strip would be my dream concert.

Ugh... I don't see anything spectacularly different about Axl's voice here. Actually it is crappy with excessive rasp, he mess up all verses, goes out of breath in many occasions, doesn't sing some parts, disappears for a while and the tone is way lower than in the record.

It`s a pity that (apparently) you can`t see the beauty of how much Axl was INTO this performance. Not only Axl but the entire band. It`s just that Axl is the singer and besides he is much more expressive than all the other 4 guys so it shows much more.

On a side note, maybe Slash wasn`t giving his 100% on this because this is an ~Izzy song~ and it is natural that he doesn`t get as much involved as he would if this was one of his songs or a song he helped to write.

But back to Axl. The way Axl sings and moves and gives everything on this performance is a sight to behold. He was giving all that he got and when Axl does that, it is a beauty.

Don't lecture me if you don't know me. I'm a die-hard fan and Axl is GOD to me (i have no religion, GN'R would be)... It's a pity that you can't understand what I was saying because I never mentioned anything about his "performance". I mainly talked about VOICE that is what was being discussed in first place.

I know very well this is classic Axl in his early days, doing his classic moves and shit, but singing-wise, this is not THE BEST as the OP tried to make it look. To me, this is average Axl. To me, this is no different from the shows post 2010's. He makes lots of mistakes, forgets lines and he doesn't hit any high notes. Actually, he doesnt even try them! and this being one of the songs with higher notes (as sang in the album), I don't see what's impressive about it.

In my opinion, some of the best Axl performances (both singing and acting) happened in the 90's when he was already a pro, with hundreds of hours onstage and thousands in the audience.

• Like 1

It`s a pity that (apparently) you can`t see the beauty of how much Axl was INTO this performance. Not only Axl but the entire band. It`s just that Axl is the singer and besides he is much more expressive than all the other 4 guys so it shows much more.

On a side note, maybe Slash wasn`t giving his 100% on this because this is an ~Izzy song~ and it is natural that he doesn`t get as much involved as he would if this was one of his songs or a song he helped to write.

But back to Axl. The way Axl sings and moves and gives everything on this performance is a sight to behold. He was giving all that he got and when Axl does that, it is a beauty.

Don't lecture me if you don't know me. I'm a die-hard fan and Axl is GOD to me (i have no religion, GN'R would be)... It's a pity that you can't understand what I was saying because I never mentioned anything about his "performance". I mainly talked about VOICE that is what was being discussed in first place.

I know very well this is classic Axl in his early days, doing his classic moves and shit, but singing-wise, this is not THE BEST as the OP tried to make it look. To me, this is average Axl. To me, this is no different from the shows post 2010's. He makes lots of mistakes, forgets lines and he doesn't hit any high notes. Actually, he doesnt even try them! and this being one of the songs with higher notes (as sang in the album), I don't see what's impressive about it.

In my opinion, some of the best Axl performances (both singing and acting) happened in the 90's when he was already a pro, with hundreds of hours onstage and thousands in the audience.

Celine Dion can hit all the high notes that she wants, she never misses a line, and she never make any mistakes.

Celine Dion can hit all the high notes that she wants, she never misses a line, and she never make any mistakes.

Have you attended every Celine Dion show?

Wow.

What the hell does a Celine Dion fan do trying to lecture a GNR fan?

LOL

i think you missed my point

maybe i should add something

Celine Dion, PROBABLY THE MOST AWFUL SINGER AND PERFORMER KNOWN TO MANKIND, can hit all the high notes that she wants, she never misses a line, and she never make any mistakes.

Celine Dion, PROBABLY THE MOST AWFUL SINGER AND PERFORMER KNOWN TO MANKIND, can hit all the high notes that she wants, she never misses a line, and she never make any mistakes.

dude you're terribly boring

Have you attended every Celine Dion show?

Wow.

What the hell does a Celine Dion fan do trying to lecture a GNR fan?

LOL

Maybe she's boring just because of that?

I was watching Rio 1991 1st night today on DVD.

What a terrific performance, Axl has the same energy and gives an all-or-nothing performance, much similar to this 1986 gig.

He lost that quality sometime around mid-1991, I guess.

It was completely gone then.

And I never saw Axl sing all-or-nothing again except in little sparks, like when he sang the Queen songs in 1992.

you're dead wrong

it's called a live performance

Plus in 1986 they were changing the songs from time to time....

Tinyrobot is clueless as always

Now imagine: Ron masturbating his wheedly-wee shit-shred Atari noises all over this.

Or DJ doing his Hogan ears and trying his damndest to carbon-copy Slash.

Or Pitsmann adding "sub bass".

Or Stusson saying "I HATE GNR! FUCKING CORPORATE ROCK!" while mimicking Duff and collecting a fat paycheck.

16 years later (Bucket and Finck)

20 years later with Izzy plus Finck (i don't really know if Ron played actually on this)