VH1 Rock Icons

Free Bird

Watching that it's easy to see Slash is one of the greats. So great he's under utilized cause he truly is a band kind of guitar player but his time in the perfect band for him was limited and he only produced 3 full albums of original material in Guns.

I still follow his career, and enjoy some of his solo output but it would have been great to get 5 or 6 albums of Guns albums with his guitar magic all over them.

He's more of a journeyman ala Clapton, Beck, Blackmore, never really sticks around with the same band or same lineup for long.

Difference is those people came closer to the quality of their first big projects with Clapton also having the ability to sing and write lyrics, Derek and the Dominos and Cream are achievments Slash never really matched after Guns. He did his best work in one band and never came close. Velvet Revolver did not compare to Guns.

Beck is an innovator and always searching. Blackmore had Rainbow but still, Slash never matched that body of work imo.

I still love Slash's guitar playing the most. No one can make it sound like that. His career is finally stable to just do his thing and I respect that.

Edited by Rovim

I still love Slash's guitar playing the most. No one can make it sound like that. His career is finally stable to just do his thing and I respect that.

And as I've said before he's at his peak of playing these days. Getting sober had done wonders for his chops.

• Like 1

He's more of a journeyman ala Clapton, Beck, Blackmore, never really sticks around with the same band or same lineup for long.

Difference is those people came closer to the quality of their first big projects with Clapton also having the ability to sing and write lyrics, Derek and the Dominos and Cream are achievments Slash never really matched after Guns. He did his best work in one band and never came close. Velvet Revolver did not compare to Guns.

Beck is an innovator and always searching. Blackmore had Rainbow but still, Slash never matched that body of work imo.

Yeah, I love his guitar - very much - playing but I'd like to see him push himself creatively a bit more... take a few more chances. He pushes himself physically and output-wise - he's very much a workaholic, as he says himself. He says he's 'neurotic' about his playing - has doubts about his abilities. I wonder sometimes if this stops him from experimenting a bit more. I'm not saying he should go all avant-garde 'cos that doesn't interest him - but just experiment. Maybe he does in private but when it comes to performance and recording he stays mostly in the blues rock genre (with the odd touch of flamenco!).

Never knew Slash's dad did album art or his mom was a clothes designer.

He comes from a very talented family so it was like he was destined to become something great.

Love how Duff talked about how his guitar playing and Axl's voice were so unique together and there was nothing like them back then.

Love how Duff talked about how his guitar playing and Axl's voice were so unique together and there was nothing like them back then.

On the one hand, it was very different from the scene of the time. But on the other Slash = Zeppelin/Stones/Aerosmith type guitars, and Axl = Nazareth/ACDC vocals.

On the one hand, it was very different from the scene of the time. But on the other Slash = Zeppelin/Stones/Aerosmith type guitars, and Axl = Nazareth/ACDC vocals.

Axl had a Robert Plant thing about his voice as well imo. Joplin too.

Watched it with my dad yesterday. Very well done half hour, as these have all been. I haven't seen all of them, but I've taped the ones I've had a passing interest in (Geddy Lee, Ted Nugent) and watched them with my dad, who isn't a fan of these people but knows who they are. It does a really good job at drawing in a general music fan and a hardcore fan of that artist at the same time and giving a good overview. For general people it shows all the stuff you need to know, and throws some bones to hardcores (like I never knew Slash played with Carole King!? I gotta look up that video!)

I think with someone like Slash, its really hard to capture everything in half an hour. Personally, I think its a little easier with someone like Ted Nugent. I will say I think they spent a rather long amount (probably 1/3) of the piece on his childhood, which I thought was strange. But it also got an interview with Slash's dad, which I for one had never seen. Seen pictures of his mom and read his book but had never actually seen his father speak. That was really cool.

They kind of breezed over GNR, although that is to be expected. You get the meat and potatoes that that is his legacy and then you move on to other things. I agreed with my dad when he was like "so thats it? GNR was just over?" as they went to commercial after Illusions and came back and GNR was done. I said they could talk for 2 hours about the breakup of GNR but agreed that it was disjointing skipping right over it, even though it makes sense not to dwell on it because its about Slash the guy and not his problems with Axl. I thought from the little they showed they did a great job showing how tight that group was. I also was pretty surprised, but happy, at the extended 10 seconds or whatever where they just had Axl singing Knockin' On Heaven's Door. Its short, but it was very clearly (at least to me) the only part NOT focused on Slash, and I think it says a lot about Axl's voice.

Last thing I'll say is I thought it ended really well, and I particularly liked how the last third was a discussion about how he's an icon and kind of the last modern one. Despite the title, they haven't done that with other episodes of this series and I think it speaks a lot to Slash's character that they do it here. The whole discussion about the top hat and particularly Duff's words about Guitar Hero I thought spoke volumes. Obviously we know all this, but for someone like my dad who doesn't quite "get it", it showed him. I think he understood a bit more why I've seen Slash 10 times or so in the last 5 years. He came to the conclusion on his own by the end and said "I guess he's your generation's Jimmy Page." So coming from a guy from the 60s generation I'm glad he gets it. I think with the short, kind of nothing half hour slot this show has, and particularly this episode, they've done a great job with it. 20 minute overview that is neither essential or completely unnecessary.

Edited by gunsfanoldie
  • Like 1