A Civil Rights Leader Has Disguised Herself As Black For Years, Her Parents Say

Amir

Yeah, I read this last night and couldn't believe it.

We had discussion once though about race, and you were trying to argue it was a social construct. I can understand in some cases, like how Mexicans were considered white by Americans in the early 20th century and are now considered a different race, but in this case... I mean, she even brought up the fact that we're all most likely descended from Africans to argue that she was African-American... I mean... :facepalm:

We had discussion once though about race, and you were trying to argue it was a social construct. I can understand in some cases, like how Mexicans were considered white by Americans in the early 20th century and are now considered a different race, but in this case... I mean, she even brought up the fact that we're all most likely descended from Africans to argue that she was African-American... I mean... :facepalm:

:lol:

Well, the sad irony of it all is that the concept of being "black" was constructed in the 16th and 17th century to alleviate the white poverty problem; that the land-owning class could say to the newly arrived impoverished whites that though you are poor, at least you're not black, and hence you're with us. It's incredible to see someone flip it on its head and attempt to align themselves with the racial identity to reap some sort of benefit.

This woman is a hero, and a very courageous one at that.

If she "feels" like she is black - then the rest of us should address her as being a black woman.

Not sure what the problem is here?

Because she's claiming to have grown up facing the struggles that black people in America have to deal with every day.

Case in point:

enhanced-21550-1434105005-6.jpg

I can't claim to know anything about the struggle of African-Americans, as I am not African-American, so I'm not gonna black myself up, perm my hair, and claim to be a victim of white oppression.

I find the whole thing hilarious to be honest, I mean, when they confronted her about being white, and her only "ethnic" background being some distant Native American ancestry...

"Dolezal again spoke about the abuse she had endured as a child to the Easterner. She said she was born in a tepee, and the family hunted with bows and arrows. She also described living in South Africa."

What a nutjob.

Also, who on earth is the black man she parades around as her father?! Some random dude she paid off?

• Like 2

If she "feels" like she is black - then the rest of us should address her as being a black woman.

How can you feel black?

I don't feel white.

This is completely different to bring transgendered which is genuine, this is just insanity.

If a man can feel his penis and his brain are female then this woman can feel she is black.

Either we embrace people self identifying based on their inner feelings or not. No cherry picking please.

Exactly.

So people are questioning this ladies motives and how she "felt" while growing up? Seriously? Apply that same logic to transgenders and you'd be called hateful and ignorant and non-tolerant.

If the door is going to be open for acceptance, we can't start cherry picking who we allow to enter or not.

If a man can feel his penis and his brain are female then this woman can feel she is black.

Either we embrace people self identifying based on their inner feelings or not. No cherry picking please.

No, that's bollocks. You can't feel a skin colour.

• Like 1

How can you feel black?

I don't feel white.

This is completely different to bring transgendered which is genuine, this is just insanity.

How to you quantify what it is to "feel" male or female?

I've got female friends who are total bad-asses and are the leader of their marriage. And I've got male friends who spend two hours in the bathroom getting ready to go out, get squimish at the sight of blood or in even touching a live fish, and who cry at the drop at a hat. I've got a female friend who loves horror movies and gets in bar fights all the time - and I've got a male friend who you would swear was gay if you didn't know he was married with kids.

Is there a standard list of what it means to feel male or female?

Are you being serious? :lol: You can't "feel" that you're a different ethnicity, it doesn't work like that, I mean I accept that people have the right to express their identity however they'd like but you can't get a tan and go "yea, I live the struggle too!". You're born whatever race you are and it doesn't somehow change over time because you wish that it would. :lol:

This reminds me of something a Korean friend told me once, that he felt like he was a banana. (Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.)

• Like 1