DJ Ashba quits Guns N' Roses

My sources tell me that Gilby and Axl are back in touch. Gilby has convinced him to do a reality audition show in the spirit of shows like Rock Star Supernova and The Voice. The plan is for a horizontal Axl to spin into view on a couch via Skype for the judges' panel.

• Like 2

I don't blame DJ at all.

I know a lot of GN'R fans hate him, but he's got plenty of other projects to work on that are actually moving forward where he doesn't have to sit around and wait to be told what to do. I'm surprised he (and every other member of the band) stuck around for this long considering he had little creative input in the band. I wasn't a fan us his, but I couldn't careless at this point who his replacement is.

At least they broke up on good terms, and he had nothing but nice things to say about Axl, right?

Edited by RJ88

I don't know why so many people seem happy about this. Whatever chance there was of new music coming soon is now gone.

According to Axl and other members there is music worth 2 to 3 albums before Ashba joined. Axl just has to Master that stuff or well do god knows what with it and just release it. I hope Axl doesn't makes an excuse of the delay cause of Ashba.

The best case scenario (IMO) is that Ron is still in, and Robin returns. This should make the next album's release easier, since Robin had a part in writing/recording it, and if Ron is still in there's no endless search for someone new.

I tend to agree. If Axl is able to get Bumble and Robin back that would be ideal cause it seems his goal is to release CD ll, old material, and they were a part of the band for years and played together already.

To get them on board again might prove very challenging, if not impossible in Robin's case.

But if Axl chooses to go with 2 new guitar players it will look bad. He'll probably be able to tour with new hired hands, but as a fan I don't think I'll be able to really connect or identify them as contributors of something significant to Guns anymore.

It's obvious Axl losing talented guitar players has become expected and Axl said he's not going anywhere.

Even though I'm naked and covered in chocolate right now and feeling like I just got paid, DJ leaving the band is an alarming development. Not that it really matters who's the guitar player if it ain't Slash, but it shows nothing has changed. Axl can't keep it together for very long without it changing to something else and that leads to changes in musical chemistry, momentum, level of acceptance, and many more important things for every band that is truly interested in moving forward.

As others already mentioned, DJ was Axl's boy. It demonstrates Axl won't change the way he does things even if it means losing band members, band stability, momentum, time, money, relevance, or respect.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I don't know why so many people seem happy about this. Whatever chance there was of new music coming soon is now gone.

Probably because most people came to realise that there was no chance of new material even before Ashba's quitting. Ashba quitting is immaterial as Axl cannot bring himself to release anything irrespective of band members.

At least we know now with 100% certainty that there will never be a DJ Ashba penned song or solo on an officially released GNR album. For that we should be thankful.

Dodged a bullet there. Also could mean less risk for any solos Robin and Bucket might have recorded for CD ll.

Ok so nugnr are finished, at least for the foreseeable future. Why couldn't axl just tour with the old band,just 1 time and record an album with them and then see how it goes, he has literally nothing to lose at this point. If it fails, he still could continue whatever he has planned.

Edited by mr. ritz88
  • Like 2

Probably because most people came to realise that there was no chance of new material even before Ashba's quitting. Ashba quitting is immaterial as Axl cannot bring himself to release anything irrespective of band members.

Also I think most fans were hoping and praying the extent of DJ's contribution to CD2 would be an inaudible yet probably botched power chord buried in the mix on track 11.

Ok so nugnr are finished, at least for the foreseeable future. Why couldn't axl just tour with the old band,just 1 time and record an album with them and then continue whatever magical thing he has planned?

At this moment, who knows, but very low chances, THEY will most prob contact Robin and Robin will negotiate a contract just for touring and not some 5 year contract or they will just hire 2 new guitarists and do the nostlgic tours.

I see Amir, Alfie, Zozo looking at this thread, what are your thoughts if you haven't given.

Surprised but not totally shocked. I'm glad DJ has given a straight up answer rather than keeping fans wondering .

I set off on holiday this morning so not had much chance to catch up on goings on.

I see Amir, Alfie, Zozo looking at this thread, what are your thoughts if you haven't given.

Surprised but not totally shocked. I'm glad DJ has given a straight up answer rather than keeping fans wondering .

I set off on holiday this morning so not had much chance to catch up on goings on.

Where are you to on a holiday? I hope you enjoy with your family

Ok so nugnr are finished, at least for the foreseeable future. Why couldn't axl just tour with the old band,just 1 time and record an album with them and then see how it goes, he has literally nothing to lose at this point. If it fails, he still could continue whatever he has planned.

But DJ wasn't crucial to new Guns. What did he do exactly that makes you think new Guns is over? like he brought to the table some important element that can't be replaced.

There are always session players willing to take the job and quit when the contract is over. So Axl will be able to tour with anyone as his guitar players as long as he can deliver a passable show vocally.

I highly doubt Axl will do a reunion. He still has many other options that serve his goal to keep new Guns "alive".

But DJ wasn't crucial to new Guns. What did he do exactly that makes you think new Guns is over? like he brought to the table some important element that can't be replaced.

There are always session players willing to take the job and quit when the contract is over. So Axl will be able to tour with anyone as his guitar players as long as he can deliver a passable show vocally.

I highly doubt Axl will do a reunion. He still has many other options that serve his goal to keep new Guns "alive".