Are Axl's current vocals enough?

Let's face it....Mickey or no Mickey, Axl lacks charisma when he isn't running around or energetic. He is boring when he just stands there. Watch any show from the 90s and he was a maniac. If there is a reunion, he will need to bring some energy back to the live shows. If he doesn't, it will be 2011 on again.....oh and give us some rants too

You must be joking. Axl is brutally charismatic. Check this shit out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLXB756QH8

This, kids, is what happens when you do too much coke.

I was going to say "a stroke" but you know, coke too.

Axl will definitely be the huge question mark, risk and potential weak link if a reunion does happen. We know Slash, Duff and Izzy can still deliver...but who knows what we would get with Axl. Heck, Slash is playing better now than he did in the old days...which probably has something to do with not being shit-faced out of his mind like in the AFD/UYI days. I'm not saying that he is as creative or that he is producing the same quality of music/riffs/solos as he did back then (he's definitely not)...I'm just saying that IMHO...technically he is playing live shows as good as, if not better, than at any point in his career. Axl would have to bring his A game, or he stands to get totally embarrassed next to Slash...

And I agree 100% with the comments about the casual fans who would show up expecting to see and hear AFD/UYI era Axl...if over weight, out of breath, no energy, Mickey shows up...it will be quite a shock.

Edited by foghat43

It won't mean much if Slash and Duff can't deliver a record.

They can probably complete the picture when it comes to certain songs just because they're gunners. Fortus, Slash, and Duff can write together and bring demos to Axl to sort through and whatever is in the vault can be worked on by Slash and Duff. They can start from the Slash song. I think a lot of work is done, so that can be the foundation. Lyrics and themes may be a bit tricky but it's possible.

They can probably complete the picture when it comes to certain songs just because they're gunners. Fortus, Slash, and Duff can write together and bring demos to Axl to sort through and whatever is in the vault can be worked on by Slash and Duff. They can start from the Slash song. I think a lot of work is done, so that can be the foundation. Lyrics and themes may be a bit tricky but it's possible.

You're describing basically how 99% of the bands work, you know that right?

The problem more than half of GNR songs weren't like that. There seems like there was a lot of creative sources like Izzy, Duff, Wes, Axl and Slash. But Slash could really tie it all together. Each song is was so special. There was no formula. It doesn't seem like Slash brought in a record and that's what they worked on. Not saying he couldn't but he didn't in Guns. Which is confusing because he was vital to the sound and completion of the songs.

The problem more than half of GNR songs weren't like that. There seems like there was a lot of creative sources like Izzy, Duff, Wes, Axl and Slash. But Slash could really tie it all together. Each song is was so special. There was no formula. It doesn't seem like Slash brought in a record and that's what they worked on. Not saying he couldn't but he didn't in Guns. Which is confusing because he was vital to the sound and completion of the songs.

I'm assuming Paul wrote a lot of songs with Axl. He played like the Izzy role. Robin said he brought a lot of songs as well.

I think there were many creative sources for Chinese, and there are enough now. You have ideas that Bucket brought, probably Fortus, 2 drummers wrote AAA songs. I don't think one person in Guns is capable of writing a Guns album. Slash does what he does like in Safari Inn, brings a bunch of riffs, adds his leads to songs like November Rain and Estranged so that covers a lot.

Paul was responsible for some big guns, Axl can just not tell Slash who wrote it. I don't think lack of material will be a problem, and Axl can take a good musical idea and make it great. Slash same deal.

Edited by Rovim

Not really. Slash, Fortus, Duff and Frank were never in the same band together. How is this situation like "99% of the bands"?

It's not obvious that Slash will agree to work on say a song like Shackler's, or that they can bust out an album from scratch in a year.

So my point was it's better if they use what is already written to find common musical ground, with new Slash riffs and leads to complete the picture. I also think it's better if Axl dictates the musical direction and approach cause it's not like you have Izzy there or something. I think.

Edited by Rovim

There's definitely a problem with CD material and then Slash and Duff coming back. But say there's only really a little Finck/Bucket and more Axl/Tobias/Fortus/Dizzy material that needs leads and bass.

I think I'm one of the few that liked Bumble's additions for the most part. I see it as a collaborative effort and this could be a good thing. Slash and Duff can incorporate themselves into some of the material like Bumble and Frank on Chinese.

Personally, I think the ideal way to go about it is just to release CD ll untouched, with a lot of Bucket and Robin and record another album from the rest of the material and all the members in the line up. I don't know if it's doable on Axl time though.

Ultimately, I trust Axl to release a quality product. He doesn't release disposable shit.

There's definitely a problem with CD material and then Slash and Duff coming back. But say there's only really a little Finck/Bucket and more Axl/Tobias/Fortus/Dizzy material that needs leads and bass.

I think I'm one of the few that liked Bumble's additions for the most part. I see it as a collaborative effort and this could be a good thing. Slash and Duff can incorporate themselves into some of the material like Bumble and Frank on Chinese.

Personally, I think the ideal way to go about it is just to release CD ll untouched, with a lot of Bucket and Robin and record another album from the rest of the material and all the members in the line up. I don't know if it's doable on Axl time though.

Ultimately, I trust Axl to release a quality product. He doesn't release disposable shit.

it's hard to say. I see Axl wanting to keep the Beltrami tracks. Drop in the 3-4 Slash tracks. The Izzy song. A Fortus track. That's a 10 track album without trying.

it's hard to say. I see Axl wanting to keep the Beltrami tracks. Drop in the 3-4 Slash tracks. The Izzy song. A Fortus track. That's a 10 track album without trying.

It does seem possible. Plus... who knows how much unreleased material Axl accumulated. And when I think about it, if Robin never left, Bucket would have never joined. Axl made 2 different styles work really well together and it wasn't planned. A shreder and Finck. We wouldn't have the There Was A Time outro, Shackler's, Sorry, Prostitute solos, If The World solo, I.R.S outro. It shaped Chinese, made it much better. Bumble made it even better, adding sleazy riffs like on Chinese and Shackler's and the solo and tapping outro.

So I guess it's nothing new. It can add an old Guns dimension. But I don't know if Jackie Chan will make sense as an intro song now. It's a high risk/high reward situation if you really like Chinese, but I'm pumped as shit about Slash and Duff. I just hope CD ll will benefit from their output if Axl chooses to include them, and not gimped.

Edited by Rovim

I feel like if they get involved it may not be CD II, it will be more like UYI. Here's 3-4 we can use from CD, and remember these songs from 96?

To me Slash wouldn't want to be used like Ron for a couple of songs. But he might be coming in at the right time. A lot of material written. Could see it happening but then again probably not.

• Like 1

I cannot understand how you people can speak of Duff and Slash adding parts to CD 2 songs that you have never heard nor do you know what style they are in nor do you know if they even fucking exist. And also, nor do they have anything to do with Axls vocals, the title of the thread.

I think most people judge him more harshly due to the general misconception that he was solely responsible for the disintegration of the old lineup. I don't think he would've taken much flak for his vocals had Slash been onstage at Rio 11...and really when it comes down to it that's the only full show people can/do point to when people give him shit.

I saw a guy post somewhere by some guy who said he went to see Guns in 1990 and Axl didn't show up. I don't think its fair to blame Axl for that one considering they didn't tour that year. Maybe a scalper burned him and due to Axl's bad rep he blamed it on GNR.

Dude needs to sound like 2006 at the very least in order to not go viral in a very bad way.

If he looks and sounds like 2010, people will give him shit for his appearance but they won't be able to say anything bad about the vocals. Hopefully he can figure out the voice one last time.

Axl's singing has a ton to do with him being in better shape. It obviously takes a lot in the lung department to dig out the rasp and just the vocals in genearly for their music. I watched Rock AM Ring last night, and you can tell his energy level doubles 6 years later. Getting older will obviously affect the voice some, but being in the best shape you can for your age, helps a ton. Especially when you are being paid a few bucks to do it...

Also, I think Axl will appear in better shape no matter what he looks like this week on Kimmel. First show will likely be April at the earliest, that's a lot of time to drop 20 pounds or so to help vocals.

When he sounds good, I say he sounds good, but when he sounds shit, then I can't be delusional and say he sounds amazing, he does sounds awful here and thats a FACT. And Philipm787 is not my long lost brother :lol:

that is so hard to watch

i wont even quote out of fear somebody will accidentally click play

lets hope to god he never hits rock bottom like that again