Are Axl's current vocals enough?

Guys, it's crystal clear that Axl's Mickey Mouse voice is due to a lack of training and preparation (both phisical and vocal).

I'm 100% sure he's trying to use a cleaner voice in order to avoid destroying his pipes. But this requires a looooot of preparation and technique, you can't just do it outta nowhere.

The rasp is still there, also (for few seconds) in "weak" songs like YCBM.

Only God knows how he was after the 2009/2010 tour, singing for a whole year in that way.

Edited by Torb

I am beginning to think that Axl was behind the recent photo(perhaps an old photo). Maybe he's trying to fool people into believing he is still a fat pig. The recent Taco Bell tweet has had me thinking about this. I wouldn't be surprised if a thinner Axl shows up to the Jimmy Kimmel Show.

if Axl is in shape, he'll be able to sing. If not, then this will be a train wreck and the plug will be pulled early.

I am beginning to think that Axl was behind the recent photo(perhaps an old photo). Maybe he's trying to fool people into believing he is still a fat pig. The recent Taco Bell tweet has had me thinking about this. I wouldn't be surprised if a thinner Axl shows up to the Jimmy Kimmel Show.

if Axl is in shape, he'll be able to sing. If not, then this will be a train wreck and the plug will be pulled early.

I sure hope you are right.

Yeah, Axl's voice has been on the decline since 2011, but, I think he's shown at least a few glimpses that he can get back to a decent rasp if he wants to. He doesn't have to be 2010 good, anything close to 1/2 or even 1/4 as good as that will work.

Yeah, Axl's voice has been on the decline since 2011, but, I think he's shown at least a few glimpses that he can get back to a decent rasp if he wants to. He doesn't have to be 2010 good, anything close to 1/2 or even 1/4 as good as that will work.

I disagree man. I think it's full 2010 or bust. When I used to show people bootlegs from 2010 or even 2006 their biggest complaint was would be better with Slash and Duff. Any bootlegs past 2011 it was always the same comment.. "Axl sounds like shit."

This is probably the best place for this comment to fit- it is not worth it's own topic.

My favorite version of Don't Cry is the Roxy 1986 version:

The 5/30/2014 Las Vegas doesn't sound much different:

I did notice on some of the earlier 2014 shows that while it sounded very similar the ending had a slightly different tone to it... rounded for the lack of a better term since I have very little ability to talk vocal techniques.

Edited by sanity_lost
  • Like 1

Axl sounded good by the end of the last residency but he'd been touring 2-3 months before that. Assuming he's taking the reunion seriously, and is rehearsing 2 months in advance, he'll be good. But if he comes out sounding like the first 2014 shows the reunion is gonna be even more of a waste than the decade of touring with NuGNR. He was brutal at those shows, he sounded like me imitating his 2002 voice FFS.

(4:40 for :lol:)

• Like 3

the question is: Can Slash still play Estranged, Coma and the other stuff from Illusion/Axl ? if a reunion happens

Are you kidding me? You can be sure Slash won't be an issue and that's not the question. He plays better than ever live. So the question remains the same. Is Axl's current vocals enough?

Axl sounded good by the end of the last residency but he'd been touring 2-3 months before that. Assuming he's taking the reunion seriously, and is rehearsing 2 months in advance, he'll be good. But if he comes out sounding like the first 2014 shows the reunion is gonna be even more of a waste than the decade of touring with NuGNR. He was brutal at those shows, he sounded like me imitating his 2002 voice FFS.

I think it's because he was ending the tour and he got nothing to lose pushing his voice. Of course months of gigs behind also warmed his pipes for good.

the question is: Can Slash still play Estranged, Coma and the other stuff from Illusion/Axl ? if a reunion happens

Probably in his sleep.

Slash talked about not being able to remember how to play certain songs, but he puts in a lot of practice prior to a show to make sure it's done right or to the best of his abilities. He said he can listen to the song and decipher the notes from there. I'm not sure he ever learned how to read music.

http://youtu.be/YUulqMxN1e4

http://youtu.be/QLsw7hyw4CM

http://youtu.be/qx-pdPpqNtY

These are the problem songs that Axl needs to work on. I think if he sounds good on these ones then he'll be good on everything.

Wow glad Ashba won't be around to butcher the intro to SCOM, that's bad!

I have not really paid any attention to the NuGnR line up, least of all watched any performances. It comes as quite a surprise to listen to Axls vocals in these clips, then I noticed they are recordings from two consecutive dates could it be that he had a sore throat or vocal strain.

I've read a lot of bashing of his later performances and just figured you were being mean , are these clips fairly typical of his current vocals?

Not sure about these things, but if it's certain notes he struggles with , it would make sense to change the key or structure of some songs. Then they can be sung within his current vocal range. I'd rather listen to a new take on a song, being sung well, than listen to him struggle. However given that his amazing vocal range/ rasp was what he was known for back in the day, I understand it must really difficult to admit defeat. Hope for his sake he can pull it off.

Edited by Archtop

http://youtu.be/YUulqMxN1e4

http://youtu.be/QLsw7hyw4CM

http://youtu.be/qx-pdPpqNtY

These are the problem songs that Axl needs to work on. I think if he sounds good on these ones then he'll be good on everything.

Wow glad Ashba won't be around to butcher the intro to SCOM, that's bad!

I have not really paid any attention to the NuGnR line up, least of all watched any performances. It comes as quite a surprise to listen to Axls vocals in these clips, then I noticed they are recordings from two consecutive dates could it be that he had a sore throat or vocal strain.

I've read a lot of bashing of his later performances and just figured you were being mean , are these clips fairly typical of his current vocals?

Not sure about these things, but if it's certain notes he struggles with , it would make sense to change the key or structure of some songs. Then they can be sung within his current vocal range. I'd rather listen to a new take on a song, being sung well, than listen to him struggle. However given that his amazing vocal range/ rasp was what he was known for back in the day, I understand it must really difficult to admit defeat. Hope for his sake he can pull it off.

These were clips from one of his best performances of the last 3 years, these 3 songs have given him problems though. He can't hit the notes with right tone or any rasp. June 6 2014 and June 7 2014 was the last time we saw him but he was really good on many songs those nights, but like I said he can't seem to find it on these particular ones.

I really don't get some folk's obsession with having to have the "rasp"...I just hope we get good quality vocals even if the rasp is not there. All that raspy singing from early in his career was probably a huge factor as to why his voice is shit today, and it is probably also the one aspect of his vocals that is the hardest to maintain and sing with consistency as he gets older. Not saying I don't like the rasp from the early days, I do...but there were times when he was almost too raspy (IMO) on some of the UYI shows...almost to the point where it became annoying (again IMO). Seems like with some folks all they talk about is the rasp, and they judge Axl's vocals almost entirely on that.

Edited by foghat43
  • Like 1

I really don't get some folk's obsession with having to have the "rasp"...I just hope we get good quality vocals even if the rasp is not there. All that raspy singing from early in his career was probably a huge factor as to why his voice is shit today, and it is probably also the one aspect of his vocals that is the hardest to maintain and sing with consistency as he gets older. Not saying I don't like the rasp from the early days, I do...but there were times when he was almost too raspy (IMO) on some of the UYI shows...almost to the point where it became annoying (again IMO). Seems like with some folks all they talk about is the rasp, and they judge Axl's vocals almost entirely on that.

People associate the rasp to "good vocals" because Axl himself has never shown proof of singing good without it. I think that's the main deal.

People associate the rasp to "good vocals" because Axl himself has never shown proof of singing good without it. I think that's the main deal.

Well, if people equate rasp with good vocals, then that makes sense. I guess I just don't necessarily agree that rasp always = great vocals.

Edited by foghat43

Here's the thing...For the "jukebox fan" who hasn't been paying attention, there could be the expectation for the Tasmanian devil that they recall from their youth.

I think the best thing Axl could do for himself, at this stage of his life (aside from taking this seriously by practicing and, oh, I don't know, occasionally sound-checking) is to stand still and simply sing the songs...sit on a stool if need be.

If he comes out tearing ass, running from side to side, he'll quickly be wheezing and gasping through the fat, and it'll get ugly quickly...He should try to expel any notion of fan expectation over stage presence out of his mind and simply focus on giving the plebs their money's worth by singing the songs as best he can at this point...

Edited by oneway23

Here's the thing...For the "jukebox fan" who hasn't been paying attention, there could be the expectation for the Tasmanian devil that they recall from their youth.

I think the best thing Axl could do for himself, at this stage of his life (aside from taking this seriously by practicing and, oh, I don't know, occasionally sound-checking) is to stand still and simply sing the songs...sit on a stool if need be.

If he comes out tearing ass, running from side to side, he'll quickly be wheezing and gasping through the fat, and it'll get ugly quickly...He should try to expel any notion of fan expectation over stage presence out of his mind and simply focus on giving the plebs their money's worth by singing the songs as best he can at this point...

Agreed. Adele stands there and sings great. She would struggle if she ran around and danced the way he does. It's not 1991 anymore Axl. Stay more still and try to sing your ass off.