GUNS N' ROSES TO PLAY COACHELLA APRIL 2016 - CONFIRMED!

We should have a GNR Reunion Tour Bingo:

+5 Axl Rant

+100 Riot at a Gig

+110 No-Show at a Gig

+1000 "Thanks to the lame-ass security, I'm going home"

+100000 My World with Slash on guitar and extended Pitman solo

+∞ Duet of "it Tastes Good, Don't it?" with Ice Cube at Coachella.

Has the line in the press release about the "critically acclaimed RIAA platinum album 'Chinese democracy'" been discussed yet?

Forgive the hot take and I can be persuaded otherwise, but they really Couldn't throw in a line about VR and the highest US week 1 rock debut ever? I get its a different band, but it's pretty relevant if we're talking about the longevity of the GNR legacy.

It seems like the sort of little thing that may end up running this reunion to the ground, Axl's team making it look like he personally had Gn'R's legacy going strong this whole time and Slash and Duff sort of didn't do much of anything until they came back. How many concessions will Slash and Duff have to make regarded their place in GNR history and their personal accomplishments? It's where playing CD songs could get dicey if they don't play VR. Contraband was essentially sold as Guns N Roses featuring Scott Weiland, and it actually was met with similar if not greater critical acclaim than CD and sold more in the US. One could argue that Contraband has had a bigger impact on continuing public interest and the legacy better than CD. If they play "Better," it would feel a little weird if they didn't play "Fall to Pieces" in the sense that Slash and Duff will be acknowledging CD without Axl acknowledging VR.

VR is not GNR. Axl has always said that GNR was GNR, no matter the lineup. Velvet Revolver is no more a Guns album than Art of Anarchy or Sixx:AM. It's an album buy a band several members of which were once in GNR. But it's not GNR. Agree or disagree, surely you at least see the logic?
  • Like 1

Has the line in the press release about the "critically acclaimed RIAA platinum album 'Chinese democracy'" been discussed yet?

Forgive the hot take and I can be persuaded otherwise, but they really Couldn't throw in a line about VR and the highest US week 1 rock debut ever? I get its a different band, but it's pretty relevant if we're talking about the longevity of the GNR legacy.

It seems like the sort of little thing that may end up running this reunion to the ground, Axl's team making it look like he personally had Gn'R's legacy going strong this whole time and Slash and Duff sort of didn't do much of anything until they came back. How many concessions will Slash and Duff have to make regarded their place in GNR history and their personal accomplishments? It's where playing CD songs could get dicey if they don't play VR. Contraband was essentially sold as Guns N Roses featuring Scott Weiland, and it actually was met with similar if not greater critical acclaim than CD and sold more in the US. One could argue that Contraband has had a bigger impact on continuing public interest and the legacy better than CD. If they play "Better," it would feel a little weird if they didn't play "Fall to Pieces" in the sense that Slash and Duff will be acknowledging CD without Axl acknowledging VR.

VR is not GNR. Axl has always said that GNR was GNR, no matter the lineup. Velvet Revolver is no more a Guns album than Art of Anarchy or Sixx:AM. It's an album buy a band several members of which were once in GNR. But it's not GNR. Agree or disagree, surely you at least see the logic?

I see the logic, and its true.

As true as Chinese Democracy is the same as VR, Art Of Anarchy, Sixx AM with the exception of 6 people.

But yeah, anything after Live Era is all the same, its barely Guns.

As true as Chinese Democracy is the same as VR, Art Of Anarchy, Sixx AM with the exception of 6 people.

And you have a strong argument, with one big difference: CD has the GNR name, and it's a GNR album. You may disagree with that label, but it is what it is.

so if coachella goes crap then no tour after. sounded like it fAs f

so if coachella goes crap then no tour after. sounded like it from reading his blog

As far as ticket sales, i don't think it will go crap. As for the performance, it's up to Axl. Personally, i don't expect a great Coachella show.We all know from recent years that Axl struggles with the very first shows.I bet there will be a tour. Possibly US and Europe 'cause there's tons of money.

so if coachella goes crap then no tour after. sounded like it from reading his blog

sounds plausible. I imagine the $$$ they are getting from Coachella will be more than enough to make it worthwhile - but they might not have the appetite to tour (excuse the pun), two Coachella shows might be more than enough for all involved.

I'm a little concerned of the Pittman inclusion - I know it's Axl's deal but I'm not sure how his and Slash's sound would compliment each other. For the record I think it will be a pre-CD era setlist for Coachella, certainly.

I'm a little concerned of the Pittman inclusion - I know it's Axl's deal but I'm not sure how his and Slash's sound would compliment each other. For the record I think it will be a pre-CD era setlist for Coachella, certainly.

Pittman is hands down the worst part of all this...

And you have a strong argument, with one big difference: CD has the GNR name, and it's a GNR album. You may disagree with that label, but it is what it is.

Well that's kind of my point. If we are all to agree that CD and VR are not necessarily of the same ilk as 87-93, but they are to play CD, why not VR? I would argue that due to the marketing of VR as GNR feat Scott Weiland, greater sales numbers, arguably higher critical acclaim and relevancy, VR carried the banner and was more representative of the Guns N' Roses legacy than Chinese Democracy. VR was defiance, a group of junkies approaching middle age that were left for dead playing straight and hard rock n roll music in an era of Emo and nickel back. Of course, the argument against this is that the band was called Velvet Revolver and not Guns N' Roses, even if they may have embodied GNR more than CD.

I wouldn't say VR and CD are in the same level as art of anarchy or sixx:am. The latter two have no 87-93 members, art of anarchy didn't have near the amount of acclaim or sales and sixx:am is more a part of the motley crue family tree.

Interesting they said "regroup" rather than "reunite" in the press release.

Thats why its not making the news. The public likes reunions. "Regroupings" are what GNR has been for the last 15 years.

Everyone thought they just wanted Axl and Slash, myself included. I think many just assumed that if you get those two, everything else would just fall in place. But its becoming clear more was needed, hence the reason this news is so half assed. I don't think its that people that don't care. I think its that its not being marketed right (Motley's farewell tour was news everywhere and who cares about the Crue anymore?) and its not the people fans want to see. They want 87-93 members only. Not saying it to piss off. I think its the truth.

They want 87-93 members only. Not saying it to piss off. I think its the truth.

It is the truth.. Go read the comments on the Axl Slash Duff reunion.. It may have worked with the 3 of them if there were 5 members.. Even 6 I guess with Dizzy.. But not with 7 or 8 people running around on stage..

https://www.facebook.com/ultimateclassicrock/?fref=nf

Edited by Tom-Ass

Interesting they said "regroup" rather than "reunite" in the press release.

Thats why its not making the news. The public likes reunions. "Regroupings" are what GNR has been for the last 15 years.

Everyone thought they just wanted Axl and Slash, myself included. I think many just assumed that if you get those two, everything else would just fall in place. But its becoming clear more was needed, hence the reason this news is so half assed. I don't think its that people that don't care. I think its that its not being marketed right (Motley's farewell tour was news everywhere and who cares about the Crue anymore?) and its not the people fans want to see. They want 87-93 members only. Not saying it to piss off. I think its the truth.

People would still shit on it because of Axl. He has created a lot of negativity around the band for 20+ years. People haven't forgotten his antics, though some seem to have conveniently forgotten how great he was in his prime. He was just as important to the band as anyone else but some of the comments make it seem like he had nothing to do with the success. Really strange.

@Gunsfanoldie, lots of people still care about the Crue. Their shows always do well. I went to a show of theirs a couple years back and it was loaded with some of the hottest ass I have ever seen. Crue plays pussy music. There will ALWAYS be people that care about that my friend. Crue is one of the best at that genre.

• Like 1

Interesting read. My apologies because I can't remember who, but one of the mods here (I think) brought this up with me yesterday as a scenario trunk mentioned and I now I'm starting to think it could be true. They haven't announced who's playing on drums and guitar because frankly, they don't know yet. It's all clearly being legally still worked out. They announced coachella because this thing was too big to keep under wraps for any longer. There's clearly more to come but there's still plenty to work out.

Yes, we all know axl slash and duff are involved and I give them credit and am thankful as well as beyond greatful that they finally announced this. But clearly there is still a lot still to work out. For now we celebrate what we have and hope to hear more soon.

• Like 1

@Gunsfanoldie, lots of people still care about the Crue. Their shows always do well. I went to a show of theirs a couple years back and it was loaded with some of the hottest ass I have ever seen. Crue plays pussy music. There will ALWAYS be people that care about that my friend. Crue is one of the best at that genre.

Why are you talking like Austin powers?

Gilby and Matt most likely to return. I can see Izzy doing a guest spot. Steven would die of a heart attack.

I don't get why Gilby should be back. He's a footnote in GNR's story and he's not a brilliant guitar player.

Gilby and Matt most likely to return. I can see Izzy doing a guest spot. Steven would die of a heart attack.

I don't get why Gilby should be back. He's a footnote in GNR's story and he's not a brilliant guitar player.

You don't need another brilliant guitarist, you have Slash... Just need someone to play rhythm.. Preferably not a poser..