why do you think Matt is so OUT?

I suppose if you're Axl, testing the waters with this whole reunion thing it makes sense not to crowd yourself out with a bunch of people who were 'enemies' of yours a few months ago, keep the averages on your side, make sure you got more of your mates on the squad than people you've had issues with, also Matt joined a bit late in the day too so i don't suppose he has the same affection for him as you would for Slash of Stoke and Duff.

As it stands, presumably you got Axl, Dizzy, Tittman, Fortus, Ferrer, all Axls mates...and then Slash and Duff...if they wanna get fuckin' funny a lead guitarist and bass player can be replaced on short notice but add a drummer into that mix and all he's left with is a fuckin' rhythm guitarist and a couple of keyboard wankers. If they got guitar drums and bass on their side thats basically the core of the music isn't it, you're kinda more to ransom that way if they wanna fuck around.

That's sort of what what I was saying...but with more swears. :P

The man has some good points. :lol:

I also think that Axl might be looking at this more as "let's get Slash and Duff back" than "let's do a reunion tour" kind of thing. In other words, Slash and Duff would be coming in knowing full well that Frank and Fortus are there to stay. I'm sure some big discussions have been had between all parties but maybe even Slash and Duff feel like it wouldn't be right to force Frank out. That could have been one of their agreements to meet Axl in the middle.

In the truly great bands, you remove one element and the whole thing collapses. Is Watts less important than Jagger/Richards? Well all I know is when I think of ''The Stones sound'', I think of firstly a Richards riff sitting upon a Watts drum roll - and this is before I think of Mick Jagger - so you tell me? Keith Moon was the soul, the beating heart of the Who. To be honest, I've never thought the 'Oo were The 'Oo without Moon (and you remove Entwhistle and it is all a bit of a sham really).

A drummer's lack of expendability is best demonstrated by analysing Guns's drummers themselves. Adler, Matt and Frank sound nothing alike, and further, the band sound different under each's tenure. Adler was a rhythmic groove drummer, making up for technical shortcomings with instinct and character, whereas Matt had this big Bonham-esque 'metal' sound and Frank is this big-basher. Neither of the latter two can replicate Adler's rhythm. So inherently, such are the differences, you must develop some preference and it not being merely a case of, 'who ever picks up the sticks'.

• Like 1

Stones would've been a load of shit without Charlie, they would've just fallen into that awful genre 'hard rock', Keiths riffs would turn into some AC/DC sounding thing, they would've just sounded like a load of generic bollocks, the swing of Charlies drums is what gives them the quality that made them worthy of the old school black rock n rollers who they were immitating...cuz they were all Jazz drummers like Charlie, Charlie is the living breathing core of The Stones.

what would you do if you were axl and slash and were reuniting after 20 years? you would try to make the most out of it, feeding the nostalgia as much as possible. if the rumours are true it seems the original AFD 5 is the goal they try to achieve as close as possible.

they have to make choices. UYI or AFD reunion? that's really what this comes down to. what do the fans want the most versus what is achievable considering the different alumni involved each having their lawyers / addictions and what not.

can't have both (UYI / AFD) with 3 drummers on stage and 3 rhythm guitarists. they have to find a balance between fulfilling the nostalgia wishes while at the same time working out a profitable, oiled touring machine.

steven is rumoured to appear as a guest, same with izzy.

frank is used as a reliable factor who knows the songs well, with steven appearing here and there. matt doesnt have an added benefit in this logic. in the logic of the GNR PR machine, matt was an "additional musician" who was hired only because steven was out.

same goes for izzy, where they go for richard as the main rhythm player and have izzy when he wants. no need for gilby there either.

it all makes perfect sense to me.

He (Sorum) said this in October:

"I'm not saying I'm an original member, okay, but I understand the core of the band, which is Slash and Duff and probably Izzy. It's a shame, and you know what, this goes back to a Paul McCartney thing. Does he call himself THE BEATLES? Not saying we were as big as THE BEATLES, but does Sting call himself THE POLICE? No. Does Jimmy Page and Robert Plant go out there calling themselves LED ZEPPELIN? Nope."
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-pleads-the-fifth-on-question-about-reunion-of-classic-guns-n-roses-lineup/#PcWBCdkEOcZBs1SZ.99

Not surprised he doesn't have a role.

"I'm not saying I'm an original member, okay, but I understand the core of the band, which is Slash and Duff and probably Izzy. It's a shame, and you know what, this goes back to a Paul McCartney thing. Does he call himself THE BEATLES? Not saying we were as big as THE BEATLES, but does Sting call himself THE POLICE? No. Does Jimmy Page and Robert Plant go out there calling themselves LED ZEPPELIN? Nope."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-pleads-the-fifth-on-question-about-reunion-of-classic-guns-n-roses-lineup/#PcWBCdkEOcZBs1SZ.99

But he din't say anything wrong.

• Like 3

I notice you tend to like artists or collectives where theres like a BIG personality at the helm, a Jacko or a Prince or an Axl or a Morrissey, perhaps thats it, for my part I've only ever really been interested in bangin' tunes.

What are you saying? I just like egotistical wankers that the vast majority of people think are bellends? Whatever gave you that impression? :lol:

• Like 1

Axl wouldn't have appreciated it.

Yeah well I doubt Axl would have appreciated the things Slash said too. Personally I want Matt to be there instead of Frank.

At all. In fact he is entirely accurate.

Axl don't appreciate anything less than a blowie and a grease down though.

Edited by Len B'stard

what would you do if you were axl and slash and were reuniting after 20 years? you would try to make the most out of it, feeding the nostalgia as much as possible. if the rumours are true it seems the original AFD 5 is the goal they try to achieve as close as possible.

they have to make choices. UYI or AFD reunion? that's really what this comes down to. what do the fans want the most versus what is achievable considering the different alumni involved each having their lawyers / addictions and what not.

can't have both (UYI / AFD) with 3 drummers on stage and 3 rhythm guitarists. they have to find a balance between fulfilling the nostalgia wishes while at the same time working out a profitable, oiled touring machine.

steven is rumoured to appear as a guest, same with izzy.

frank is used as a reliable factor who knows the songs well, with steven appearing here and there. matt doesnt have an added benefit in this logic. in the logic of the GNR PR machine, matt was an "additional musician" who was hired only because steven was out.

same goes for izzy, where they go for richard as the main rhythm player and have izzy when he wants. no need for gilby there either.

it all makes perfect sense to me.

I said something similar in other thread. The whole thing, mostly with the drummer situation, is messy because even in the "classic" days there were line-up changes. Collectively they had to meet in the middle somewhere.

Axl has never appreciated brutal honesty.

Especially stupid since at that point there would have been talks between Slash, Duff and Axl for quite a while. At least according to Todd Kerns, who said that they (Myles & TC) knew a reunion was in the works for quite some time.

Well some people are ignoring some facts.. Because it's true. Frank knows the whole GNR collection. Axl doesn't want To completely throw away the Chinese era after all the work put into it. And since people would probably pay more money to see Steven it makes Sense. So this way they don't have to throw away frank and can work Steven in for the appetite era. I just don't think they're going to have room for 3 drummers.

Eddie trunk told Steven a couple of months ago that he didn't know if Matt would be involved and clearly he was right..

I can't remember who but someone asked Marc a few months ago and even Marc canter said that there's no way axl throws away the current the lineup. He even mentioned having new guns open for old guns, which had people having a hard time believing it would happen but it is.. Tommy and bumble just saw this as their way out and Dj pretty much had to move on partly due to Nikki pulling him. This way axl has to option to keep the whole GNR collection of songs all fair game..

Edited by Billsfan

Don't know about Matt but there's no way in the world Adler is not going to be involved! Do you really think he would be sitting home going oh damn am not going to be playing in the reunion gigs oh well shit happens. If that was the case he would be on social media going off his head big time. But instead there is nothing from him :D

That's the thing mate, Stephen is saying zero - not like him at all. If he was in he'd be shouting about it all day "I LOVE MY GNR BROTHERS", if he's out he'd be standing on a ledge somewhere with 15 TV crews and a bunch of the public nervously looking on...

The silence is so not like him..

Don't know about Matt but there's no way in the world Adler is not going to be involved! Do you really think he would be sitting home going oh damn am not going to be playing in the reunion gigs oh well shit happens. If that was the case he would be on social media going off his head big time. But instead there is nothing from him :D

That's the thing mate, Stephen is saying zero - not like him at all. If he was in he'd be shouting about it all day "I LOVE MY GNR BROTHERS", if he's out he'd be standing on a ledge somewhere with 15 TV crews and a bunch of the public nervously looking on...

The silence is so not like him..

And guess what? If he was out, he'd be doing an interview with Eddie trunk and would talk tons of shit about the guys. It's beyond clear they're still negotiating and trying to work something out, which is why he's not speaking AT ALL.

Frank knows the whole GNR collection. Axl doesn't want To completely throw away the Chinese era after all the work put into it

For any good drummer, Its not that hard to play GNR songs, Steven and Matt can play the whole GNR catalogue too.

Well Ferrer only re recorded the drums part of the title song in full and just re recorded bits and pieces of Better and SOD. The only contribution to CD which Fortus has is a 4 second part in the song Better.

Its sad but thats the way it is. Matt and Steven are more deserving.

Frank knows the whole GNR collection. Axl doesn't want To completely throw away the Chinese era after all the work put into it

For any good drummer, Its not that hard to play GNR songs, Steven and Matt can play the whole GNR catalogue too.

Well Ferrer only re recorded the drums part of the title song in full and just re recorded bits and pieces of Better and SOD. The only contribution to CD which Fortus has is a 4 second part in the song Better.

Its sad but thats the way it is. Matt and Steven are more deserving.

I understand what you're saying but he's the "current GNR drummer" and he's been playing in the band since before Chinese even came out. Plus axl may feel more of a connection to frank with less stress since sorum and Adler tend to run their mouth, however with Adler being the appetite lineup and every attempt being made to make this the appetite lineup, he's still probably not into throwing frank away due to loyalty. Frank has stuck through times most wouldn't have and all In all he's not a bad drummer, personally I don't like him on the appetite stuff as much but that's probably where they want to include Steven. So I don't think In axls mind it has to do with who recorded what, I just think he's trying to balance not firing anyone and keeping the current lineup going, mixed with reuniting the appetite lineup since that's what people would pay for most.

Well some people are ignoring some facts.. Because it's true. Frank knows the whole GNR collection. Axl doesn't want To completely throw away the Chinese era after all the work put into it. And since people would probably pay more money to see Steven it makes Sense. So this way they don't have to throw away frank and can work Steven in for the appetite era. I just don't think they're going to have room for 3 drummers.

Hang on - first, CD is not hard to play drum wise - Matt could handle it in his sleep.

Second, Frank wasn't even on CD!

Your point about now wanting to "completely throw away the Chinese era" makes no sense...How the fuck does keeping the replacement drummer somehow keep CD in the picture???

Last, nobody gives a shit about the CD era, look at the media, you'd swear GNR hadn't played since 1993.

Even if they did care, there would be FAR more excitement seeing Slash play something off that album than any one of the guitar players that has come and gone in the last 20 years.

Hang on - first, CD is not hard to play drum wise - Matt could handle it in his sleep.

Second, Frank wasn't even on CD!

Your point about now wanting to "completely throw away the Chinese era" makes no sense...How the fuck does keeping the replacement drummer somehow keep CD in the picture???

Last, nobody gives a shit about the CD era, look at the media, you'd swear GNR hadn't played since 1993.

Even if they did care, there would be FAR more excitement seeing Slash play something off that album than any one of the guitar players that has come and gone in the last 20 years.

My point makes complete sense. If you actually read what id said, you'll notice I said nothing about Matt being able to play the Chinese stuff. To be honest with you I think Steven could cover it fine as well and frankly even if he butchered it, no one would care. I just think that this is the way axl sees it, frank is a good player and a guy that brings no stress to the situation. He's been in the and 10 years. I just don't think axl wants to necessarily throw him away. Frank wasn't on the use your illusion songs either but it's not like he butchers those songs. IMHO he's butchered the beginning to mr brownstone, but again, that's appetite and as I already stated that may be where Adler is involved. Also, they could justify it as sorum and frank both being replacement guys but frank you don't have to worry about PR wise where as sorum has a tendency to run his mouth.

When Eddie trunk interviewed Steven Adler in September and Eddie was explaining to Adler what he heard about the GNR reunion, Adler said "yeah I wouldn't mind sharing the stage with Matt" and Eddie responded with "idk if it'll be Matt" so.. I don't know how seriously he was ever considered but we all know slash and duff have brought it up with axl

In the truly great bands, you remove one element and the whole thing collapses. Is Watts less important than Jagger/Richards? Well all I know is when I think of ''The Stones sound'', I think of firstly a Richards riff sitting upon a Watts drum roll - and this is before I think of Mick Jagger - so you tell me? Keith Moon was the soul, the beating heart of the Who. To be honest, I've never thought the 'Oo were The 'Oo without Moon (and you remove Entwhistle and it is all a bit of a sham really).

A drummer's lack of expendability is best demonstrated by analysing Guns's drummers themselves. Adler, Matt and Frank sound nothing alike, and further, the band sound different under each's tenure. Adler was a rhythmic groove drummer, making up for technical shortcomings with instinct and character, whereas Matt had this big Bonham-esque 'metal' sound and Frank is this big-basher. Neither of the latter two can replicate Adler's rhythm. So inherently, such are the differences, you must develop some preference and it not being merely a case of, 'who ever picks up the sticks'.

Just get Brain back - he could emulate them all

• Like 1

Just get Brain back - he could emulate them all

Throw in a Bucket too and now we're talking.

Axl clearly demanded that they use his nuGNR guys. Why? Because this way, he doesn't have to admit that his nuGNR experiment was a colossal failure.

Frank, Fortruss, Reed, and Pitman have proven that they will do and say anything and everything which Fernando and Beta tell them to do (the real leaders of GNR). They will shut up and play, exactly as they're told, because honestly, what the fuck else will they do? This is the fucking lottery for them: getting a regular, huge paycheck to perform songs that other people wrote.

• Like 2