Matt Sorum

41 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Izzy used to be asked about joining GNR on stage in 2006 and he called it "axls band". I don't see how it's all that different from what Matt said. And to be honest he's not saying anything too out of line. I just don't think there's room for more than 2 drummers right now

I think this is a case of when you fight with your brother or sister and call them all kind of names, criticize them and what not but then when someone outside your family does the same, you get enraged and go like "dude, i can fight with my siblings and be an ass to them but you can't".

Izzy can do that, Matt Sorum cannot.

I mean, Matt Sorum can say whatever he wants. I'm not really questioning what he says but under what circumstances he says what he says. For Axl, Sorum is just a replacement in a band he formed with other guys. If Sorum wants to be in GN'R he has to understand he's not in the same level as Slash, Duff or Izzy in Axl's mind. Same happens with Pitman. All these people think that just because they've played for X amount of years with Axl, that inmediately earns them his trust or his love or whatever and it seems that is not the case, with any of them.

Edited by killuridols
grammar mistakes
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I think this is a case of when you fight with your brother or sister and call them all kind of names, criticize them and what not but then when someone outside your family does the same, you get enraged and go like "dude, i can fight with my siblings and be an ass to them but you can't".

I mean, Matt Sorum can say whatever he wants. I'm not really questioning what he says but under what circumstances he says what he says. For Axl, Sorum is just a replacement in a band he formed with other guys. If Sorum wants to be in GN'R he has to understand he's not in the same level as Slash, Duff or Izzy in Axl's mind. Same happens with Pitman. All these people think that just because they've played for X amount of years with Axl, that inmediately earns them his trust or his love or whatever and it seems that is not the case, with any of them.

The best post in a long time! Exactly!!! Matt or Pitman or whoever else may be in this band for a 1000 years and have God only knows what contributions but for Axl they will never have one millionth of the importance of Slash, Duff or Izzy... 

Which is why Matt is not allowed to say anything critical because he's not in a position to do so and Pitman was told to shut the fuck up after 20 years of humble service the minute Slash put his feet back in that band.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Asia said:

The best post in a long time! Exactly!!! Matt or Pitman or whoever else may be in this band for a 1000 years and have God only knows what contributions but for Axl they will never have one millionth of the importance of Slash, Duff or Izzy... 

Which is why Matt is not allowed to say anything critical because he's not in a position to do so and Pitman was told to shut the fuck up after 20 years of humble service the minute Slash put his feet back in that band.

if you weren't on the hell tour, you don't mean a damn thing. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this! but then again, i think Axl has a really big appreciation and admiring factor for Richard Fortus somehow and in a way Frank too, they both seem to be on the friends side of Axl and actually mean something to him ofcourse Slash and Duff come on a different level but out of those them and Izzy and Dizzy i think of all musicians who worked with Axl in GN'R those 2 have the most credits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

I don't necessarily disagree but I just think some people like you and Asia are pushing it by putting pitman in the same qualification there as sorum. Sorum has probably caused more stress and issue with trust, pitman never has. I think that's why they probably all have no problem keeping pitman on board

Why is it that many on this forum lump Sorum along with the musicians Axl has hired to tour with or hired them to sprinkle some music here and there on Chi dem??

Sorum plays on Nearly half of the GNR catalog doesnt he? So i dont think it is necessarily fair to lump him in as only a "hired hand" or as an "additional musician" 

• Like 1

as a former employee, he contributed next to nothing, compared to most other (ex-)members. he merely re-recorded Mr. Coletti's parts and that's it. he could be quite a bit more popular, if he wasn't constantly behaving like a prick ever since he got out of the band.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zombux said:

as a former employee, he contributed next to nothing, compared to most other (ex-)members. he merely re-recorded Mr. Coletti's parts and that's it. he could be quite a bit more popular, if he wasn't constantly behaving like a prick ever since he got out of the band.

Ban

This kind of ignorance is unacceptable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRmello77 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this! but then again, i think Axl has a really big appreciation and admiring factor for Richard Fortus somehow and in a way Frank too, they both seem to be on the friends side of Axl and actually mean something to him ofcourse Slash and Duff come on a different level but out of those them and Izzy and Dizzy i think of all musicians who worked with Axl in GN'R those 2 have the most credits

I don't know, I get the argument for Izzy but at the same time then pitman fortus and Frank would have to talk shit to be out of this reunion. I just think that since Matt tends to speak his mind and has been kind of shady at times, combined with the level of comfort for Frank both professionally and personally, I think leaving sorum out is the only choice. They can realistically invite one guy back between Adler and sorum and considering Adler wants it as badly as he does, and sorum has had more of a "I don't care" attitude, it probably makes more sense to have a Frank ferrer/Steven Adler tandem on drums 

54 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Why is it that many on this forum lump Sorum along with the musicians Axl has hired to tour with or hired them to sprinkle some music here and there on Chi dem??

Sorum plays on Nearly half of the GNR catalog doesnt he? So i dont think it is necessarily fair to lump him in as only a "hired hand" or as an "additional musician" 

According to the liner notes in Live Era.. He is an "additional musician"

10 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

I don't know, I get the argument for Izzy but at the same time then pitman fortus and Frank would have to talk shit to be out of this reunion. I just think that since Matt tends to speak his mind and has been kind of shady at times, combined with the level of comfort for Frank both professionally and personally, I think leaving sorum out is the only choice. They can realistically invite one guy back between Adler and sorum and considering Adler wants it as badly as he does, and sorum has had more of a "I don't care" attitude, it probably makes more sense to have a Frank ferrer/Steven Adler tandem on drums 

i guess so, to me personally it doesn't really matter if he's in or not although i would love to see him do You Could Be Mine with them for at least one time! i like his drumming on the UYI video's out there i think he was a good one for that tour. But Frank is a fine drummer to me, he never did anything wrong in my eyes and i love how he goes all into it when he is playing and Steven well do i really need to say anything on him? I love the guy. 

I just hope there is no bad blood anymore between any of them as they all made Guns happen in their own way for all of us and thats what matters, they all contributed to Guns in the way of touring and or recording and well i was born in the early 90's so i only got to see Guns with the lineup we've seen since 2009 and each individual in that band gave me a the night of my life both times i saw them. Now i am very excited for the reunion as it is something i have dreamed of but never experienced in my life and that should be with Steven and Izzy on board tho. Matt would be fine, Frank being there is good to me if there is no other way.

7 hours ago, GNRmello77 said:

I too think Axl appreciates Fortus and Frank and Dizzy because of their loyalty, mostly. He felt the same way about Tommy Stinson. And none of them so far have bad mouthed him or questioned his actions with GN'R, like Sorum did.

However, that appreciation will never come close to the feelings he has for Slash, Duff, Izzy and even Steven Adler. Those guys met Axl when he was literally starving and so they were! They went through a lot of shit together before money and fame got to their lives. They lived in awful places all together, had to steal to survive, did drugs and knew each other's dirtiest deeds. They were brothers of life. These are guys who must know what exactly each one of them look like naked, taking a crap and having sex. It was that intimate with the original GNR and that is why they still missed each other, after 20 years of hate, fights and legal battles.

If Sorum and Pitman can't understand this and keep talking shit in the media or their social media accounts, then it means they have never experienced friendship and brotherhood, which would be a little sad.

• Like 2

I personally enjoy Matt's drumming. It's a little mechanical, but it packs a punch and rounds out Slash and Duff's sound in my opinion.

He may be considered an "additional musician" by whoever wants to designate him as such, but I think his resume speaks for itself. He's played with and continues to play with some great musicians.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 3:45 PM, NicDwolfwood said:

He didn't write any of it.  He learned it just like Frank or any of their other "paid musicians" over the years.

19 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

actually...omly they know what who wrote, as for playing, he played on 3, more than half of the studio albums, which is most of all drumers.

As in "they" I'm assuming you mean the band?  According to Izzy, Matt didn't write any of the songs or material with them.  He starts to talk about Matt's involvement at 50 seconds into this interview:

And it's also well known that they had written most of the songs for the Illusions albums as early as 1987....at least 3-4 years before Matt joined the band.

Edited by Kasanova King

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

As in "they" I'm assuming you mean the band?  According to Izzy, Matt didn't write any of the songs or material with them.  He starts to talk about Matt's involvement at 50 seconds into this interview:

And it's also well known that they had written most of the songs for the Illusions albums as early as 1987....4 years before Matt joined the band.

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

as in they I ment - Foo Fighters...

11 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Why would Matt not do it without Steven....what makes you say that? 

Because he's basically said Steven should do it. And has basically said things about what the real line up bands are. I might giving him too much credit...but he knows Steven, knows how he feels. They did Hof together, he might run it past Steven before he did that.