Ok...is this worthy of discussion...slash solo tunes vesus CD

Slash solo tunes all day over Chinese Democracy.

The average person going to a GNR concert in 2016 does not have a clue about CD songs.  Stick to AFD, Lies, UYI 1 and 2.

Slash will do his solo stuff again with Myles in a year or two.  Chinese Democracy need not be heard from again.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

The average person going to a GNR concert in 2016 does not have a clue about CD songs.  Stick to AFD, Lies, UYI 1 and 2.

Slash will do his solo stuff again with Myles in a year or two.  Chinese Democracy need not be heard from again.

This

2 minutes ago, h2sublime said:

Makes me wonder however if Slash will still play GNR material with his other band.

I was wondering that myself.. I hope so because I love their rendition of the Guns songs.. Slash gets to jam out longer on songs like Nightrain, Double Talkin Jive and Paradise City.. That is missing so far from the April shows. And of course they fucking nail Rocket Queen. That is always the highlight of Slash shows for me.

• Like 1

Pretty simple.... because CD is a "Guns N' Roses" record and the solo bands and side projects are not. The majority of the current line-up plays on at least some of the album. Why wouldn't they play the songs?

FWIW I'd like to see Slash replace the Godfather theme with Safari Inn (or just write a new instrumental).

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, h2sublime said:

I could see covering VR before the Slash solo stuff. I just feel that since Weiland has passed it would be a nice tribute. Makes me wonder however if Slash will still play GNR material with his other band.

A nice tribute? why would Axl be tributing Weiland? If Slash or Duff want to tribute Scott at a solo gig, fire ahead! at a Gnr show? no. Outside of the situation (which is impossible for obvious reasons) that Scott died while Gnr are on tour (with Slash and Duff) but even then, I think it'd be more of a case of a word from the stage than performing a song.

36 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

^^^^:sleeper: Lets face facts, the average fan doesn't know Coma, Estranged etc. do you think they are any more entertained hearing those songs for the first time? Epic ballad (estranged) or hard rocker (Better) 9/10 average fans will choose the hard rocker. And I'm saying that and Estranged is hands down my favourite Guns song.

Also this "stick to AFD, Lies, UYI I & II" idea completely blows the arguments of the past 4/5 years out of the water... if they do that then they are unquestionably a nostalgia act. Continuing to play CD material may not go over as well as older material, but it is at least relatively new in comparison to the classic era material. AND you have to contend with the point that not everyone in the audience is going to be offended listening to CD material at a live concert, some people might be hearing it for the first time and enjoy it... not everyone at a gnr concert today was around in the beginning or followed the band throughout the late 90s into the 00s searching forums and waiting for leaks or release dates... the level of prejudice or bias is considerably lower outside of the hardcore fan circles. I'm positive there were some at vegas who didn't realise CD, This I Love and Better weren't songs written with Duff and Slash.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

A nice tribute? why would Axl be tributing Weiland? If Slash or Duff want to tribute Scott at a solo gig, fire ahead! at a Gnr show? no. Outside of the situation (which is impossible for obvious reasons) that Scott died while Gnr are on tour (with Slash and Duff) but even then, I think it'd be more of a case of a word from the stage than performing a song.

^^^^:sleeper: Lets face facts, the average fan doesn't know Coma, Estranged etc. do you think they are any more entertained hearing those songs for the first time? Epic ballad (estranged) or hard rocker (Better) 9/10 average fans will choose the hard rocker. And I'm saying that and Estranged is hands down my favourite Guns song.

Also this "stick to AFD, Lies, UYI I & II" idea completely blows the arguments of the past 4/5 years out of the water... if they do that then they are unquestionably a nostalgia act. Continuing to play CD material may not go over as well as older material, but it is at least relatively new in comparison to the classic era material. AND you have to contend with the point that not everyone in the audience is going to be offended listening to CD material at a live concert, some people might be hearing it for the first time and enjoy it... not everyone at a gnr concert today was around in the beginning or followed the band throughout the late 90s into the 00s searching forums and waiting for leaks or release dates... the level of prejudice or bias is considerably lower outside of the hardcore fan circles. I'm positive there were some at vegas who didn't realise CD, This I Love and Better weren't songs written with Duff and Slash.

Boom! *sound of the mic dropping*

5 minutes ago, h2sublime said:

No YOU don't have to talk about it again. Don't click on the link. Pretty simple.

Maybe you missed the point because you're new here. The subject is discussed all day every day, in every thread, for me to post and say we don't need to talk about it in another thread is valid. And I'll post when and where I want. As for your sass :jerkoff:

I am not new here. I just don't post all the time. Oh and the OP can post whatever he wants. 

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Maybe you missed the point because you're new here. The subject is discussed all day every day, in every thread, for me to post and say we don't need to talk about it in another thread is valid. And I'll post when and where I want. As for your sass :jerkoff:

56 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

I doubt that average person going to a GnR concert knows Slash songs but not CD songs.  I would imagine they know both or neither. 

Let's say for the sake of argument that the average GnR fan doesn't know the CD songs, it's smart to play them, because people get to hear "brand new" music.

• Like 1

Just MHO, buuuuut... I greatly prefer, all of Slash's side projects, and VR to CD. Not saying I hate CD, I do like it, it's a great rock album...Just dont like it as much as VR or the conspirators. Those projects always seemed to be truer to the GnR sound, then CD was. Just my thoughts

I think it's absurd to say these shows would be a nostalgia act if they decided to not play songs from a seven year old album. To me, what determines that is whether they decide to release new music or not. I think if they came back playing only the old stuff and released an album after a year, then the nostalgia thing wouldn't make sense. And if they come back including Chinese stuff but they tour for 2-3 years withouth releasing new music and then move on to their own projects, then it was pure nostalgia and having Chinese doesn't change that at all. That's how I see it at least.

Also, I still fail to see how it would be so terrible if they decided to play a VR song (as a tribute to Scott or just because they want) instead of The fn' Seeker. I don't want either thing to be played but between those options, I rather have them play Slither or Dirty Little Things as they're great songs (to me anyways) and they were written/co-written by two of the guys who are in the band (two of the three real members in fact). I totally understand and respect people who don't want them to play VR, I don't want that either, but I don't think it's a deadly sin to consider it.

Answering the actual subject of the thread (I love beating around the bush :D), there are many Slash songs that I like more than the CD stuff, but I don't want GNR to play any of that stuff. A perfect scenario for me would be GNR altering the set as the tour develops, including many songs that are not being played so far and then Slash dropping almost every GNR song from the SMKC gigs and playing mostly the stuff he released with the Conspirators, plus some Snakepit and VR.

• Like 1

The CD songs are Guns N' Roses songs, so naturally, they are included in a Guns N' Roses show.    I know some people don't see it this way, but that's how it is.

Slash has clearly been given the green light to adjust the songs to his style.    So in that sense, he gets ownership in some of these songs too.