Axl and the lack of new material

6 minutes ago, Madagascar88 said:

I was under the impression the lead singer situation in AC/DC is still in no man's land... and that Axl is nothing more than a guest singer for the rest of the tour for now (and potentially for future tours), with Brian Johnson still the technical lead singer of the band, and main collaborator relating to at least any "studio recordings" (see link).

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/655251/Axl-Rose-ACDC-lead-singer-Guns-N-Roses-Brian-Johnson-deaf-cancel-tour

From what source do we derive information that Axl is anything more than a guest singer (i.e. that there's a real interest on AC/DC's part for studio collaboration together)?

Read this:http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/nme-exclusive-acdc-and-axl-rose-interviewed

Did you ever consider getting a number of different guest vocalists?
Angus: “To be honest with you, it was a case of ‘what do we do?’”
Axl: “They were in the process of trying to decide what they were doing as a band in general, is my understanding, because it just went down.”
Angus: “It was a crisis that came then, and we had to act. We were in Miami at the time, when all of this came up, and unfortunately, when you’re in that situation you got to make decisions pretty quick, because there are a lot of people waiting. We were supposed to actually play in Atlanta, so you’re kind of going ‘what do we do now’. Because of the nature of Brian’s deafness, we knew that there was no easy fix. So you’ve got to then say, ‘what do we do here?’ The options were very limited and you think, if we just stop with all of this machinery it’s going to be a hell of a lot of legal entanglement…”
Axl: “That, and the fans, and not wanting the band to have to go through that, as I have gone through a little bit of that at times!”
Angus: “It was good that he offered, y’know. He said, if I can do it…”
Axl: “Which I had no idea, I mean, they play really loud, they have their way of working and you never know if you’re going to blend. But it started out pretty good and its gradually got better. I’m hoping to make it through the first show before I get fired!”

So what happens after these shows – does the band continue in this format? Do you get another singer? Does Brian come back?
Axl: “Whatever they’re doing with Brian, that’s not my place to talk, that’s their business. Anybody else, I will slowly poison them!”

What’s his prognosis – is he able to rejoin in the future?
Angus: “He has to be very careful of what hearing he’s got left. This is what he told us - he was gutted about not finishing [the tour] because he says he would have loved to have gotten through. It was his call, what he wanted. He made that decision himself. He didn’t want to be deaf. And I perfectly understand that – when you stop doing this, you want to walk away with all your pieces! I don’t even want to leave without my fingernail!”

Did you speak to Brian at all for advice before joining the band?
Axl: “No, I have not spoken with Brian, only because we haven’t spoken much about Brian. There hasn’t been any negative talk with the guys or anything, it’s just the time schedule of having to get things together for the shows, while also I had Guns N’ Roses commitments and then breaking the foot. The day I found out it was broken I left the hospital to rehearse. My only day off was the surgery day and the next day was back to rehearsals.”

Is it true you auditioned a singer from an AC/DC tribute band to front the group for these dates?
Angus: “A lot of people were putting people forward. You know, you’ve got to be fair, you’ve got to listen to anyone who said something, you listen to them. You’ve got to do the right thing.”

What’s the latest with Phil [Rudd, former drummer who was arrested for threatening to kill a former employee last year]?
Angus: “Phil I haven’t heard from. He’s been very quiet of late.”
Axl: “I’ve talked to him about these other singers, though!”

20 minutes ago, Madagascar88 said:

From what source do we derive information that Axl is anything more than a guest singer (i.e. that there's a real interest on AC/DC's part for studio collaboration together)?

From the BBC radio interview it seems pretty apparent that there is a good chance - it looks Angus is going to wait and watch and see how the AC/DC tour with Axl goes. I doubt that that would really qualify as music 'from' Axl though if Angus writes the lyrics as well as the music and Axl just sings on the songs. It would be a minor miracle if Axl even gets to write lyrics, but from what he said in the interview, it sounded like he could be interested in just that (he may have just been joking, but it did seem half-serious).

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Strange Broue said:

Read this:http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/nme-exclusive-acdc-and-axl-rose-interviewed

So what happens after these shows – does the band continue in this format? Do you get another singer? Does Brian come back?
Axl: “Whatever they’re doing with Brian, that’s not my place to talk, that’s their business. Anybody else, I will slowly poison them!”

What’s his prognosis – is he able to rejoin in the future?
Angus: “He has to be very careful of what hearing he’s got left. This is what he told us - he was gutted about not finishing [the tour] because he says he would have loved to have gotten through. It was his call, what he wanted. He made that decision himself. He didn’t want to be deaf. And I perfectly understand that – when you stop doing this, you want to walk away with all your pieces! I don’t even want to leave without my fingernail!”

Did you speak to Brian at all for advice before joining the band?
Axl: “No, I have not spoken with Brian, only because we haven’t spoken much about Brian. There hasn’t been any negative talk with the guys or anything, it’s just the time schedule of having to get things together for the shows, while also I had Guns N’ Roses commitments and then breaking the foot. The day I found out it was broken I left the hospital to rehearse. My only day off was the surgery day and the next day was back to rehearsals.”

Is it true you auditioned a singer from an AC/DC tribute band to front the group for these dates?
Angus: “A lot of people were putting people forward. You know, you’ve got to be fair, you’ve got to listen to anyone who said something, you listen to them. You’ve got to do the right thing.”

What’s the latest with Phil [Rudd, former drummer who was arrested for threatening to kill a former employee last year]?
Angus: “Phil I haven’t heard from. He’s been very quiet of late.”
Axl: “I’ve talked to him about these other singers, though!”

Nothing there that tells me Axl is anything more than a guest singer for now... i.e. that he has not displaced Brian from the studio process

Stay of Execution was enough of a clue that All wanted to explore things outside of GnR. We'll hear new music from Axl, I'm sure of that... Whether it's with GnR, ACDC, or some other project, who knows.

I love Axl, but I always thought he was, to some degree, full of shit, or at least full of his own shit. But lately I've started to consider that maybe much of what he says is true, or at the very least true in his mind.

So having said that, he's said time and time again that GNR almost didn't exist and it took so long to make new music because of Slash - which came off as "Slash was trying to ruin me", but maybe he meant he just couldn't make an album without Slash's musical ideas - which he's said at one point, I think.

So, maybe all those excuses for not putting out new music were valid (either Axl or the label doesn't think it's good enough without Slash) and now they can make new music with Slash and Duff back in the fold - because there's really no excuse not to now, the record label would put out anything they could market as a GNR Reunion album now.

8 hours ago, Madagascar88 said:

I was under the impression the lead singer situation in AC/DC is still in no man's land... and that Axl is nothing more than a guest singer for the rest of the tour (and potentially for future tours), with Brian Johnson still the technical lead singer of the band, and main collaborator relating to at least any "studio recordings" (see link).

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/655251/Axl-Rose-ACDC-lead-singer-Guns-N-Roses-Brian-Johnson-deaf-cancel-tour

Given that the doctor's order to Brian relates only to stopping live performances, I'd think it'll take quite a lot (at least immediately) to convince Angus and co. to remove Brian, a bandmate and friend for decades, from the studio process if he appears eager to continue with AC/DC in that respect.

No source, actually. Just common sense. If these shows do great and keep getting all the positive reviews they got from debut show then it means this machine works. This combination works. Who wouldn't want to make money out of something that is working for the audience?

I don't know what's Brian Johnson future in ACDC and how will he feel about the, after the tour is done. Even if he can record albums, will he want to go back to them? What will happen if ACDC keep making albums but can't tour them because their singer is deaf?

Losing Axl at this point would be mistake. The guys is younger than all of them, can sing, can tour, can do promotions. It sounds cruel but this is like changing your 68 year old wife for a fine chick in her 20s, lol :P

Axl seems to want to be the new ACDC singer. And Angus is going to write a new ACDC album for sure. He's just going to keep going. So it makes sense for Axl to sing on a new record if Brian can't come back, looks like he won't. 

Also seems like Slash will go back to solo after he finishes touring. It's too enjoyable for him not to? 

So Slash goes back to solo and Axl joins ACDC. 

Why they wouldn't make a new record is strange. It's almost like Slash and Duff don't really think this new thing is GNR, it's just a touring line up and all the songs were written along time ago. So it's just reconnecting with GNR fanbase. 

Axl on the other hand has had plans for 2 new albums CD II and Remix and label doesn't show much support and seems like he's accepted it's over. 

On deeper note, seems like Axl and Slash can't work together creatively without Izzy. They have done it before on UYI but if you start chopping Izzy songs out you don't get many songs. 

It's a strange situation to say the least. They sort of out epic'd themselves. People say they don't have many records but they have a ton of songs. You can do an alternative set list without blinking maybe two. 

Maybe once the tour is over, Slash will do his solo then go back into the studio to record the new GNR album in 2018?

21 minutes ago, wasted said:

Axl seems to want to be the new ACDC singer. And Angus is going to write a new ACDC album for sure. He's just going to keep going. So it makes sense for Axl to sing on a new record if Brian can't come back, looks like he won't. 

Also seems like Slash will go back to solo after he finishes touring. It's too enjoyable for him not to? 

So Slash goes back to solo and Axl joins ACDC. 

Why they wouldn't make a new record is strange. It's almost like Slash and Duff don't really think this new thing is GNR, it's just a touring line up and all the songs were written along time ago. So it's just reconnecting with GNR fanbase. 

Axl on the other hand has had plans for 2 new albums CD II and Remix and label doesn't show much support and seems like he's accepted it's over. 

On deeper note, seems like Axl and Slash can't work together creatively without Izzy. They have done it before on UYI but if you start chopping Izzy songs out you don't get many songs. 

It's a strange situation to say the least. They sort of out epic'd themselves. People say they don't have many records but they have a ton of songs. You can do an alternative set list without blinking maybe two. 

Maybe once the tour is over, Slash will do his solo then go back into the studio to record the new GNR album in 2018?

I think Axl can do AC/DC on the side if and when Angus will want to do it and it doesn't interfere with Guns plans.

And speaking of imaginary Guns plans: I just feel they do need some time to first tour, but my guess is Slash and Duff are pretty much up for anything and Axl will want to release another album. If that ever happens no matter what style it is, it's still gonna sound like a Guns album I imagine with ballads and more hard edge material. I don't think they did too many epics or too many "rockers".

Axl will need to figure out how to build it and if we're lucky Axl will be able to get out of Slash and Duff what he needs musically.

It will probably take more time than 2018 even with a shitload of material in the vault. But I refuse to believe Axl views Gn'R as strictly a touring band now. I think the conditions were just not right, there was no real motivation or a selling angle and now all those things are kinda there for Axl, and they can't tour forever without a new album imo. Not really. Maybe for a long time but why do that when there hasn't been a Guns album in 25 years with Axl and Slash? it makes no sense to me.

I can see him tinkering for years but I can't imagine Axl not wanting to make a final artistic statement with this line up. Doesn't seem like his style but again just a guess.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

No source, actually. Just common sense. If these shows do great and keep getting all the positive reviews they got from debut show then it means this machine works. This combination works. Who wouldn't want to make money out of something that is working for the audience?

I don't know what's Brian Johnson future in ACDC and how will he feel about the, after the tour is done. Even if he can record albums, will he want to go back to them? What will happen if ACDC keep making albums but can't tour them because their singer is deaf?

Losing Axl at this point would be mistake. The guys is younger than all of them, can sing, can tour, can do promotions. It sounds cruel but this is like changing your 68 year old wife for a fine chick in her 20s, lol :P

Ozzy Osbourne just traded his 63 year old wife for his 45 year old hairdresser. Ozzy has always been a mess. 

6 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Ozzy Osbourne just traded his 63 year old wife for his 45 year old hairdresser. Ozzy has always been a mess. 

How is that being a mess? she's younger and can do his hair and got rid of the witch.

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

How is that being a mess? she's younger and can do his hair and got rid of the witch.

The witch who kept him from going to an early grave back in the day and organized his career for him while he was out of control? She also gave birth to and raised his 3 kids. I respect his talent but the guy has been a mess for a long time. 

38 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

AC/DC are a mess too. Malcolm is #demented, the other guy in jail and Brian gone deaf :facepalm:

Having Axl there is really a breath of fresh air and they will be forever thankful. The ship was just about to sink.

19 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

The witch who kept him from going to an early grave back in the day and organized his career for him while he was out of control? She also gave birth to and raised his 3 kids. I respect his talent but the guy has been a mess for a long time. 

He used to love her, but he tried to kill her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Everything Sharon has in this world, she has because of Ozzy.  Not saying she didn't help his career but lets be real here, it's hardly been a one-way street.

8 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

Everything Sharon has in this world, she has because of Ozzy.  Not saying she didn't help his career but lets be real here, it's hardly been a one-way street.

She has put up with a lot of shit from him though. It has been almost an entirely one-way street in that regard. 

14 hours ago, Italian girl said:

I feel really worried about the future of gnr... I personally think that axl doesn't want to write new music. Just sing other people' s songs..

Will slash and dufff accept this in GNR?

Me too... I hope GnR releases some new music, they can't tour with their old songs forever... Well they certainly can but...:wacko: There are songs out there that haven't been released, right? work on it GnR!

• Like 1

Axl has an album's worth of material he can release today, and it's frustrating. Having Slash and Duff on some of those cuts, plus a second disc of completely new material, is what I see happening though. 

In 2 years, it's going to be the 10th of ChiDem and in a year, the 30th of AFD, but I also understand wanting to be able to put it out there in the marketplace and have people buying it, and at this point in the music business, people are buying music....sort of. The Azoff deal made with Best Buy made ChiDem irrelevant to Interscope, even though they were promoting it. Sort of, but it was more than Axl was doing to promote it. Axl did a couple of interviews after the album was released and asked us (I think that was his intent anyway, given what he wrote just about CITR) how we liked it on the forums. 

Edited by dalsh327

15 hours ago, Italian girl said:

I feel really worried about the future of gnr... I personally think that axl doesn't want to write new music. Just sing other people' s songs..

Will slash and dufff accept this in GNR?

I get this feeling also when it comes to his earnest passion to write new music at this stage in his career... due to some combination of lack of incentives to write (both financial and recognition-wise), inability to self-motivate when he has full command of the show, contentment/complacency in the current touring circumstance, frustrations that he probably experiences due to his hyper-detailed and indecisive persona when we works on new material, and disinterest/inability to collaborate and/or connect with bandmates on a level-playing-field basis to complete new work. 

In later Guns, we saw more and more cover songs (basically ever since UYI) as Axl's dominance grew (which is strange because he is such a genius when it comes to songwriting but appears to need certain circumstances to be in place...), and more touring absent a new full-length album to promote.

Edited by Madagascar88
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think Axl can do AC/DC on the side if and when Angus will want to do it and it doesn't interfere with Guns plans.

And speaking of imaginary Guns plans: I just feel they do need some time to first tour, but my guess is Slash and Duff are pretty much up for anything and Axl will want to release another album. If that ever happens no matter what style it is, it's still gonna sound like a Guns album I imagine with ballads and more hard edge material. I don't think they did too many epics or too many "rockers".

Axl will need to figure out how to build it and if we're lucky Axl will be able to get out of Slash and Duff what he needs musically.

It will probably take more time than 2018 even with a shitload of material in the vault. But I refuse to believe Axl views Gn'R as strictly a touring band now. I think the conditions were just not right, there was no real motivation or a selling angle and now all those things are kinda there for Axl, and they can't tour forever without a new album imo. Not really. Maybe for a long time but why do that when there hasn't been a Guns album in 25 years with Axl and Slash? it makes no sense to me.

I can see him tinkering for years but I can't imagine Axl not wanting to make a final artistic statement with this line up. Doesn't seem like his style but again just a guess.

I guess the idea of Axl touring with DC is so unexpected that it kind of feels like a last fling. Where was Angus and Dave through out the feud? Suddenly everyone is best mates with Axl. Is Slash and Duff the conduits? Axl is back on planet hard rock whereas before he was hanging out at Korn parties? 

It just doesn't have the ring of old school Axl who almost ruined his life keeping the name on principles. Now he's Slashing it up. I know Rob Halford joined Sabbath for a run of shows at somepoint. Maybe it doesn't mean that much. 

But with Slash going back to solo (I don't get how he can) the whole thing is losing it's aura double quick. 

Axl can't bring in anoither replacement so he's relying on Slash. So maybe he has given up enough to accept he can't go it alone. So if Slash wants to he will, but if Slash decides not to he can be a Gun for Hire. But he has very few plays because Slash can stop it at any point. 

Maybe ACDC is over it's just these final shows need to be fulfilled to avoid losing money. But no other singer is going to come in and tour successfully or make records in ACDC other than Axl. 

So without Izzy their best bet is the Axl and Slash record. Maybe like the VH reunion record where they mined old material and added some to make a decent record. But is that enough for GNR? I think judging by the shows pure hype would fuel it. I feel like they can do it. GNR kills nostalgia dead. 

• Like 2

I honestly think it just comes down to the band. The last time Axl had a true band that he felt good with was the Robin/Brain/Buckethead group. Once that blew up during the '02 tour, and Bucket left, then Brain, him and the CD dream were down. I've always thought if they had finished that tour, they would have put the finishing touches on CD and released it as a true band. We would have gotten more music if that happened. But since that band collapsed, everything between then and now was just for touring purposes and to get CD released, I don't care what so and so said in the different interviews. That wasn't the band he made CD with, they were his touring band.

He trusts Angus, that's why he is killing it and happy performing with AC/DC.

I think he has trust in Slash and Duff again, like a real band. Hopefully that will result in new music.

Why would Slash want to stop it though? it's his chance of ending it on a high note as well and it's a lot of money if they can appear to be a band that moves forward now. Will look really good for Slash and Duff. The saviors that after 20 years managed to get the ginger lunatic to do something the world actually wants and I agree that Guns got at least one more album in them, an Axl and Slash album will be enough imo.

The AC/DC thing is a good thing for Guns, it can invigorate Axl to do something maybe. Nothing has led me to believe Guns is not still priority 1. And that includes Slash and Duff too.

Nothing concrete to go by, I just think they don't want to fuck it up, chemistry still there and Slash and Axl are a powerful writing team, they can if they choose to work together, create another good Guns album, the excitement is there and everyone seems to understand the importance of it, I just think it looks bad cause the DC thing and first tour, chit chat later approach.

It doesn't mean anything to me. I think Axl is all fired up again. Still lazy and insecure, but it's not the same Axl I agree there as well. It's an older, less crazy and chubbier version, he's having fun and Slash and Duff do have a profound effect I would say live. There's a chance they'll do it together, as much as possible, but the delays can be even worse.

In conclusion of this shitty, shitty post I will say that I think it's likely Axl will try to work with Slash and Duff and if it works well they release it but it will take a while to get there, perhaps even longer cause CD ll was ready 15 years ago and now, even if they use existing material, they still need to make it work in the context of this line up.

Edited by Rovim