GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

yeah i kind of added to the UK/USA biscuit debate too lol.

I read Slash's book quite a few times now,i really like it,it seems very honest.

Duff's books are really good too, i prefer the first one as it's more Gun's stuff.

Adlers is very 'poor me', also I'm not sure how truthful he is, to himself as much as the reader.

i love biscuits:P

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I read Slash's book quite a few times now,i really like it,it seems very honest.

Duff's books are really good too, i prefer the first one as it's more Gun's stuff.

Adlers is very 'poor me', also I'm not sure how truthful he is, to himself as much as the reader.

And don't forget the scones, ha ha!

I like Slashs book best, for saying Axl thinks it's full of lies, to me he doesn't come off that badly in it at all :/

I was expecting worse. 

I liked his stories about Axl, especially the time Slashs poisonous snake got out, and that Axl was the one who scraped up the money to bail him out of jail but never said anything :) and of course jumping out of the car lol 

I dunno....fancy a biscuit? :lol:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

The biscuits thing had me laughing but technically it was on topic. Do a Google image search for biscuits and gravy and it looks like a page of puke. And on second thought maybe don't! 

I'll get Duff's second book soon. I really enjoyed the Guns origins stories in the first one. And seems like Slash's book is worth the read. 

Edited by pinkforgirls
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, stella said:

That public school and contact with the outside world had to have been infinitely helpful for Axl in developing his own ideas. I've read about some fundamentalist groups that homeschool or send the kids to their own religious schools. The kids don't seem to have any access at all to any world views and perspectives other than that of their religion. I do remember reading that Axl had to go to church eight times a week or something, though, so that probably did influence things a lot.

I honestly don't remember that incident in Slash's book (but I haven't read it in a very long time) , but that sounds as though it was framed in a way that was totally wrong. That's something that could and should have landed that woman in jail for statutory rape and/or sexual abuse of a child, but it doesn't seem as though any of them were considering that. There was another interview with Steven online years ago where he defended what happened to him when he was getting picked up by older men for drugs on Santa Monica Boulevard where he was very defensive and basically said, there was nothing wrong with it and he wasn't the only one it had happened to. I do have to think all of that had an adverse effect on Adler.

RE: the piercing, you're right - there really wasn't a lot out there in the mainstream. There were men with earrings in the 80s, but that was about it; I remember that there was a guy in Skid Row with a chain from his earring to his nose piercing (Rachel Bolan, I think, but don't quote me there, LOL) and some attention was given to it. Seeing anyone with a more complex piercing like a nipple wasn't ordinary.

Body and hair mods in general have come a long way toward general acceptance over the past 20-30 years. A friend of mine let her daughter (who is around 10) dye her hair blue and wear it to school. I had to shake my head at how easy she had it, LOL. I went to a pretty liberal school in a big city in the late 80s - 90s, and I still would have been sent home if I'd showed up with blue hair. Hell, I had black nail polish and that was a scandal. :)

Yeah, I agree, public school was probably really was a blessing in some ways for Axl. I also might be wrong about that story being in Slash's book (it's been a long time since I read it as well), could also have been just an interview or something.

Yes, I vaguely remember what you're talking about with Steven. I remember reading a thread here (or somewhere else maybe) with people speculating if Slash had done the same thing (having sex with older guys for drugs/drug money) because of the things Steven said. But if Slash did, I get the feeling this is one of the things he'd lie about and never mention.

And yes, I think Rachel Bolan's that guy! I don't know much about Skid Row, except for a couple of their songs, but I always notice that piercing as well.

7 hours ago, Bandanaman said:

WHAT? I was sure you are from Finland because of your username! 

Lol no :lol: Is he against us or what?

Haha, you're not the first one to be confused by my username :lol: I'm not from Finland, but I did spend some time up there when I was younger and picked up some very basic (and very limited) Finnish language skills. Are you from Finland then? And welcome to the thread! (Tervetuloa!)

5 hours ago, Archtop said:

Ha Ha media thread has gone to pot without us, I've just read two pages of biscuits/cookies/scones.

Ive never read Stephens book, it always came across as bit a bit depressing.

I have read Duffs which I thought was really good, and I had a lot of respect for him at the end, Slash on the other side was more of a light read a little trashy in places not particularly insightfull but entertaining. 

As a whole I don't really like biographies,  I have read a few where I end up thinking, You know what I don't think I would like you very much if I met you.  So I've given Stephens a miss as I have read a lot of comments that he has a tendency to blame others for his misfortune, which I feel I would end up getting annoyed with. Opinions please.

Really gutted not going to see Axl/DC my husbands an AC/DC fan so we looked at it  but it's a Childcare issue with us. Never mind.

I think Duff's first book is the best of all the GnR biographies. It's not just a rock star biography, but actually has literary merit imo. It's inspirational and moving. Well, I found it moving at least. It made me cry and smile quite often. Plus, unlike the others, he actually wrote the book himself. He gets even more points for that.

His second book isn't bad either, but less interesting. But it still made me cry and laugh at times, urgh :P The man has a way with words that just gets to me lol. Most of the stuff in the second book is from his news paper columns.

Slash's book is a typical rock n roll biography. Nothing more, nothing less. I liked it though, very entertaining and funny at times.

Steven's book is by far the worst on every level. It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember thinking it was badly written, and it made me dislike Steven. After reading Duff's book(s), my respect and admiration of him grew even more. After reading Slash's book, my opinion of him remained pretty unchanged. But after reading Steven's book, I started to actively dislike him and I already wasn't too fond of him before (although I felt sorry for him as well).

5 hours ago, starlight said:

Anyway I've always wondered why Axl said in an interview  that Slash's book was full of lies...I'm curious to know which lies Axl was referring to.

I know as Marc has said that Slash tells little lies to look cooler but surely he doesn't come across as someone who doesn't say the truth.  Also at the time the book came out there was still bad blood between them so probably Slash didn't feel too comfortably to talk about Axl.

I'm curious about that as well! I would love to have a book discussion with Axl about Slash's book. Or better yet, he should write his own book and tell us his view on things :max:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lumikki said:

Haha, you're not the first one to be confused by my username :lol: I'm not from Finland, but I did spend some time up there when I was younger and picked up some very basic (and very limited) Finnish language skills. Are you from Finland then? And welcome to the thread! (Tervetuloa!)

Oh cool! Yes I'm from Finland and kiitos! :lol:

41 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

And don't forget the scones, ha ha!

I like Slashs book best, for saying Axl thinks it's full of lies, to me he doesn't come off that badly in it at all :/

I was expecting worse. 

I liked his stories about Axl, especially the time Slashs poisonous snake got out, and that Axl was the one who scraped up the money to bail him out of jail but never said anything :) and of course jumping out of the car lol 

I dunno....fancy a biscuit? :lol:

Axl was the only one to visit Duff in hospital (Adam Day, guitar tech, did too). And Axl also visited Steven in hospital - think he was the only one then too! 

Big fan of the Slash book. Duff's is my favourite though ; ) 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2016 at 5:53 PM, Lumikki said:

Wow, flashback to the the first page of the thread! :lol: But hey, we can work something out. I'm willing to share. Seriously though, Duff is my hero too. I can't say enough good things about him.

And he's still adorable: :wub::wub::wub:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/Duff/521full-duff-mckagan.jpg

Yeah, me too. He's the man! I write a blog and my post on Duff's book has had the most views of any of my posts in 10 years!

6 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Yeah, I agree, public school was probably really was a blessing in some ways for Axl. I also might be wrong about that story being in Slash's book (it's been a long time since I read it as well), could also have been just an interview or something.

Yes, I vaguely remember what you're talking about with Steven. I remember reading a thread here (or somewhere else maybe) with people speculating if Slash had done the same thing (having sex with older guys for drugs/drug money) because of the things Steven said. But if Slash did, I get the feeling this is one of the things he'd lie about and never mention.

And yes, I think Rachel Bolan's that guy! I don't know much about Skid Row, except for a couple of their songs, but I always notice that piercing as well.

I think Duff's first book is the best of all the GnR biographies. It's not just a rock star biography, but actually has literary merit imo. It's inspirational and moving. Well, I found it moving at least. It made me cry and smile quite often. Plus, unlike the others, he actually wrote the book himself. He gets even more points for that.

His second book isn't bad either, but less interesting. But it still made me cry and laugh at times, urgh :P The man has a way with words that just gets to me lol. Most of the stuff in the second book is from his news paper columns.

Slash's book is a typical rock n roll biography. Nothing more, nothing less. I liked it though, very entertaining and funny at times.

Steven's book is by far the worst on every level. It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember thinking it was badly written, and it made me dislike Steven. After reading Duff's book(s), my respect and admiration of him grew even more. After reading Slash's book, my opinion of him remained pretty unchanged. But after reading Steven's book, I started to actively dislike him and I already wasn't too fond of him before (although I felt sorry for him as well).

I'm curious about that as well! I would love to have a book discussion with Axl about Slash's book. Or better yet, he should write his own book and tell us his view on things :max:

yes...Axl's book would be very explicative but I 'm still of the opinion that he wouldn't tell us all the truth about his life and GNR,simply because there are things that can't be said.

oh and I'm waiting for Izzy's book it 'd be like reading the Holy Bible !

3 minutes ago, BetterDay7 said:

Axl was the only one to visit Duff in hospital (Adam Day, guitar tech, did too). And Axl also visited Steven in hospital - think he was the only one then too! 

Big fan of the Slash book. Duff's is my favourite though ; ) 

It's interesting, that - people like to say that Axl didn't care about his bandmates but he has been the only one to show up for them. In Duff's case, Axl actually flew up to Seattle to see him in the hospital. I read in an interview with Del James that during the LA riots, Axl made his house available to any of his friends who needed a safe place to stay.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, starlight said:

yes...Axl's book would be very explicative but I 'm still of the opinion that he wouldn't tell us all the truth about his life and GNR,simply because there are things that can't be said.

I agree, but it would be nice to get Axl's perspective, nonetheless. I think in autobiographies people tell the truth as they know it. There's so much false stuff about him out there, and he could set the record straight on some things, at least. I could actually see him doing a book of essays - sort of like Duff's columns - on various topics about his life, rather than doing a linear "I was born and grew up and here's what happened" sort of memoir.

I'd also love to see Axl, Slash and Duff all add commentary to some sort of expanded edition of Marc Canter's "Reckless Road." I love that book as it is and I appreciate the interviews he did with the various GnR associates, but I bet those three have some epic stories they could add.

1 minute ago, stella said:

I agree, but it would be nice to get Axl's perspective, nonetheless. I think in autobiographies people tell the truth as they know it. There's so much false stuff about him out there, and he could set the record straight on some things, at least. I could actually see him doing a book of essays - sort of like Duff's columns - on various topics about his life, rather than doing a linear "I was born and grew up and here's what happened" sort of memoir.

I'd also love to see Axl, Slash and Duff all add commentary to some sort of expanded edition of Marc Canter's "Reckless Road." I love that book as it is and I appreciate the interviews he did with the various GnR associates, but I bet those three have some epic stories they could add.

Maybe now that he's older a lot of events from the past dont' bother Axl anymore and he's able to recall old memories without feeling hurt .

I love Marc's book too, he's always been impartial and tried to help them all. It would be the best person to do that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stella said:

It's interesting, that - people like to say that Axl didn't care about his bandmates but he has been the only one to show up for them. In Duff's case, Axl actually flew up to Seattle to see him in the hospital. I read in an interview with Del James that during the LA riots, Axl made his house available to any of his friends who needed a safe place to stay.

Yes, I've noticed that as well. He's done some really caring and sefless things for other people and sometimes does't even tell them.

Like you said, he was the only one to stay with with Steven in the hospital (and missed out on being in a movie because of that!), he was the only one to call Duff in hospital and then flew out to see him... The Del James story you mentioned where he offered his friends to stay at his house and the story where he was the one who somehow came up with the money to get Slash out of jail. And he didn't even let Slash know. I've also heard from many people that he's very generous. And he loves children and animals.

Seriously, Axl is a mess, but he does have a very sweet side to him as well.  ;)

4 minutes ago, starlight said:

I'd LOVE to read Izzy's biography, but I don't think we'll ever get one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lumikki said:

Yes, I've noticed that as well. He's done some really caring and sefless things for other people and sometimes does't even tell them.

Like you said, he was the only one to stay with with Steven in the hospital (and missed out on being in a movie because of that!), he was the only one to call Duff in hospital and then flew out to see him... The Del James story you mentioned where he offered his friends to stay at his house and the story where he was the one who somehow came up with the money to get Slash out of jail. And he didn't even let Slash know. I've also heard from many people that he's very generous. And he loves children and animals.

Seriously, Axl is a mess, but he does have a very sweet side to him as well.  ;)

I'd LOVE to read Izzy's biography, but I don't think we'll ever get one.

Who knows...we thought he would never be on social networks and here we are :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinkforgirls said:

rsposter1991.jpg

So this not gossip or anything but no one in my real life cares so I thought I’d share here. Someone gave me this poster back in 1991ish and it sat rolled up in my closet all these years. I kept thinking I need to get that framed so now in the excitement of the reunion I went ahead and got it done and came out great! :D

It looks great! Congrats. :)

Duff looks very punk there - that's a pretty ornery expression. :) It took me a second to realize that was Dizzy, too. He looks so different there for some reason. Maybe it's the eyeliner?

1 hour ago, stella said:

Duff looks very punk there - that's a pretty ornery expression. :) It took me a second to realize that was Dizzy, too. He looks so different there for some reason. Maybe it's the eyeliner?

Haha yeah Duff is very punk and now I finally got the story behind the chain and lock necklace. And I like how he has the side-eye face. Dizzy does indeed have on some eyeliner (Duff too on the waterline) but tbh I hardly even know what Dizzy looks like now.

Edited by pinkforgirls

1 hour ago, stella said:

Great picture, and yes Dizzy Is hard to recognise.I have noticed that about him, his had some very different looks over the years. 

Poor Dizzy never gets any appreciation and his the longest standing member other than Axl. What is it about Dizzy they even Gilby and Matt get greater recognition in GNR?