Alan Niven - "It was Izzy's band" Article

26 minutes ago, stella said:

He wasn't as hardass as Niven, and the name grab had nothing to do with him. That was Axl's monster. In their books neither Slash or Duff seems to hate him.

Slash pillories the guy in his book!

27 minutes ago, stella said:

And I'm not shallow enough to judge someone by the way they wear a T-shirt.

I was obviously joking!

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

LOCOMOTIVE = Slash himself stated that he wrote Locomotive with Izzy. You can verify it on this french version of his book on google (couldnt find the english version)...

https://books.google.com.br/books?id=Z3PKCQAAQBAJ&pg=PT325&lpg=PT325&dq=slash+%22anthony+bozza%22+%22locomotive%22+%22izzy%22&source=bl&ots=d4cBai5um1&sig=Z8pNugfjTxo62AsAZ5flTLT1plo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7iZClmpLLAhVGhJAKHbQ0BaEQ6AEINjAE#v=onepage&q=slash%20%22anthony%20bozza%22%20%22locomotive%22%20%22izzy%22&f=false

...and you can also check it here another Slash quote where he says that he wrote Locomotive with Izzy...

MY NEXT HOME WAS A HOUSE IZZY AND I rented up in the Hollywood Hills, and that lasted for about a month. It was partially furnished with all the basics that one might need—beds, a microwave, all of it. We had fun while we were there and I also managed to write a lot; I wrote “Coma,” and the two of us wrote “Locomotive” in that house; there was some creativity going on.

Here = http://mreadz.com/new/index.php?id=2729&pages=54

Whatever Izzy may have contributed to that song wasn't enough to get writing credits, GNR were veeeery particular about that due to publishing and went as far as having it in the album liners. Izzy the man who once said " get the money motherfucker" won't not be credited for a song he had a heavy hand in writing. Axl heavily disputes Slash's claims he brought in Locomotive as a complete song, so perhaps there isn't any of what Izzy did at the apartment in the final product.....again he didn't record it which is lame.

Izzy, 2008 - "Each song i've recorded since i've left GNR, is the same type of song i did when i was in GNR. What happened then is Slash added his part, Axl added his part and that became GNR. Whereas what you hear when you put in my CD's, is the same ideas and the same inspiration that i had in GNR without Slash and Axl. It is the basic version". So yes we all know Izzy was all about straight up and stripped back rock which i'm all about too but let's face it 90% of what he's done is nowhere near good enough to get on a GNR record. Izzy can lay down one hell of a foundation but it's pretty obvious Slash and Axl build the rest of the house.

Doesn't change anything about my first point about his contribution to UYI. Double Talkin Jive is a classic, the other new Izzy tracks are so-so to me anway and probably made better due to the contributions of the band. As far as his guitar tracks being lost in the mix, is that because Slash and Axl were big meanies or because what he layed down was sloppy and uninspired?. Why the hell would Slash want to have to double up on everything, what a pain in the arse and would surely get in the way of partying. The straight up not recording songs is inexcusable to me you can make up all the excuses for him all you want, he may have thought Coma or the other songs were shit but you do it for the band, Slash didn't want to record SCOM (well known)or November Rain or Estranged(according to Axl) but he did and well the rest is history.

Edited by Silverburst80

On 06/06/2016 at 11:55 PM, nelsontod said:

Izzy was a very organized heroin dealer in 88 on sunset.  I remember having to wait down stairs by the door until the i heard the door slam.  that was when i knew the dope would be under the mat of the apartment down the hall on the second floor.  he took measures to not get busted.

Pretty sure it's Izzy trying to sell drugs to Axl at the start of the Welcome to the Jungle clip, just has his hair slicked back.

1 hour ago, Silverburst80 said:

but let's face it 90% of what he's done is nowhere near good enough to get on a GNR record. Izzy can lay down one hell of a foundation but it's pretty obvious Slash and Axl build the rest of the house.

I like Izzy's stuff better...

Edited by pacu44

8 hours ago, RONIN said:

The guitar interplay between Izzy and Slash is a huge reason why AFD sounds so great. Illusions is missing that and Slash doubling guitars only makes it more apparent.

Also, Izzy's last name is Stradlin'

That is badass.

I don't think Slash would have ever done that unless he felt he had to, he would know more than anyone that when Izzy's on they have one of the best if not THE best dual guitar attack in rock history. I mean look at Ghost, Slash is supposed to be star of the show but the guitar sound is split evenly just like AFD. Izzy is blaring out of the left hand speaker and he sounds fantastic.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Whatever Izzy may have contributed to that song wasn't enough to get writing credits, GNR were veeeery particular about that due to publishing and went as far as having it in the album liners. Izzy the man who once said " get the money motherfucker" won't not be credited for a song he had a heavy hand in writing. Axl heavily disputes Slash's claims he brought in Locomotive as a complete song, so perhaps there isn't any of what Izzy did at the apartment in the final product.....again he didn't record it which is lame.

Izzy, 2008 - "Each song i've recorded since i've left GNR, is the same type of song i did when i was in GNR. What happened then is Slash added his part, Axl added his part and that became GNR. Whereas what you hear when you put in my CD's, is the same ideas and the same inspiration that i had in GNR without Slash and Axl. It is the basic version". So yes we all know Izzy was all about straight up and stripped back rock which i'm all about too but let's face it 90% of what he's done is nowhere near good enough to get on a GNR record. Izzy can lay down one hell of a foundation but it's pretty obvious Slash and Axl build the rest of the house.

Doesn't change anything about my first point about his contribution to UYI. Double Talkin Jive is a classic, the other new Izzy tracks are so-so to me anway and probably made better due to the contributions of the band. As far as his guitar tracks being lost in the mix, is that because Slash and Axl were big meanies or because what he layed down was sloppy and uninspired?. Why the hell would Slash want to have to double up on everything, what a pain in the arse and would surely get in the way of partying. The straight up not recording songs is inexcusable to me you can make up all the excuses for him all you want, he may have thought Coma or the other songs were shit but you do it for the band, Slash didn't want to record SCOM (well known)or November Rain or Estranged(according to Axl) but he did and well the rest is history.

slash says izzy wrote the song with him but you know better, right?

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

2 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

slash says izzy wrote the song with him but you know better, right?

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Ah no you obviously can't comprehend what i wrote, you obviously know what Locomotive sounded like when it was first conceived to what it sounds like on the album?. Locomotive(ROSE/SLASH) or do YOU know better?.

7 minutes ago, Inglorious said:

Slash was on a lot of substances back then. What he recalls might be 50/50 at best on certain things. Who knows for sure?

Slash probably had an illusion that Izzy was on his side writing Locomotive. Or was it a vision? Or was it a dream? Who knows for sure?

:rofl-lol:

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Slash probably had an illusion that Izzy was on his side writing Locomotive. Or was it a vision? Or was it a dream? Who knows for sure?

:rofl-lol:

So are going to answer question, is Locomotive the same on record as it was originally?.

Slash- "the two of us wrote Locomotive"

Axl 2008-" Yes Slash was in Guns and on Jungle (and the whole " i came to him for his riff" is as much crap as him saying he brought Locomotive and Coma in as complete songs".

So interestingly your basing your argument on something that is quite muddled between the band members themselves. You or i have no idea what that song sounded like at the apartment, it changed again from the rehearsal tape you provided (no dreamy outro) to the actual recording. The FACTS are Izzy isn't on the recording and isn't credited as a writer on the album. Did he write it and not get credit?, very strange don't you think seeing every other song he wrote is claimed.

Cute ROFL guy by the way, nearly as cute as you being able to pick out one line from an autobiography but pretend you'd never heard of Izzy being hard to work with on UYI.

Edited by Silverburst80

22 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

So are going to answer question, is Locomotive the same on record as it was originally?.

Axl 2008-" Yes Slash was in Guns and on Jungle (and the whole " i came to him for his riff" is as much crap as him saying he brought Locomotive and Coma in as complete songs".

So interestingly your basing your argument on something that is quite muddled between the band members themselves. You or i have no idea what that song sounded like at the apartment, it changed again from the rehearsal tape you provided (no dreamy outro) to the actual recording. The FACTS are Izzy isn't on the recording and isn't credited as a writer on the album. Did he write it and not get credit?, very strange don't you think seeing every other song he wrote is claimed.

Cute ROFL guy by the way, nearly as cute as you being able to pick out one line from an autobiography but pretend you'd never heard of Izzy being hard to work with on UYI.

23 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

As is your right.

13332850_587609431442097_1739484325995756260_nfff.jpg

On 6/8/2016 at 11:47 PM, Silverburst80 said:

song credits do not always tell the truth about who wrote what

bands break up because people cant agree on songwriting credits and publishing rights and royaties etc.

every song on Appetite is credited to GNR and they didnt write all the songs together.

axl, for example, claims that Steven didnt write a note of Appetite.

AXL (about Steven Adler): (...) At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what I felt I had to do. In the long run I paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15% of my publishing off of Appetite For Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick! (...)

Slash says that he wrote Locomotive with Izzy. Of course the band changed the song after that. That happens in basically every band. Someone brings an idea, maybe its a chord sequence, or a riff, or some lyrics, or whatever, and then the rest of the band works it out. That doesnt erase the fact that Izzy and Slash wrote the song together as Slash said.

===

"lazy"?

"hard to work"?

being lazy and hard to work apparently has nothing to do with it what happened to izzy during UYI recordings

izzy disapeared after recording his parts most likely because he did not want to be there, for several reasons

■Duff-
Izzy had gotten sober for good by this stage [late 1989], and he kept his distance from [Slash and I]. During the songwriting process [for Illusions], he would send us homemade cassette tapes of his songs and ideas. There was no animosity about his reluctance to come to rehearsals, and his songs - like 'Pretty Tied Up' and 'Double Talkin' Jive' - were great [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy, 2011, p. 162-163]

■Slash-
The problem was with Izzy. Because the album [the UYI's] reached such gargantuan proportions as far as the production and complexity and the massive expectations [that] Izzy started to bow out. He was harder to find, because that was against his rock 'n' roll philosophy, which I totally agree with. We got through the basic tracks and I think that's what gave the albums such a natural feel. But when we started getting into the time it took to do overdubs and vocals, he sorta disappeared [Double Vision, Total Guitar Magazine, July 2011]

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

song credits do not always tell the truth about who wrote what

bands break up because people cant agree on songwriting credits and publishing rights and royaties etc.

every song on Appetite is credited to GNR and they didnt write all the songs together.

axl, for example, claims that Steven didnt write a note of Appetite.

AXL (about Steven Adler): (...) At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what I felt I had to do. In the long run I paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15% of my publishing off of Appetite For Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick! (...)

Slash says that he wrote Locomotive with Izzy. Of course the band changed the song after that. That happens in basically every band. Someone brings an idea, maybe its a chord sequence, or a riff, or some lyrics, or whatever, and then the rest of the band works it out. That doesnt erase the fact that Izzy and Slash wrote the song together as Slash said.

===

"lazy"?

"hard to work"?

being lazy and hard to work apparently has nothing to do with it what happened to izzy during UYI recordings

izzy disapeared after recording his parts most likely because he did not want to be there, for several reasons

■Duff-
Izzy had gotten sober for good by this stage [late 1989], and he kept his distance from [Slash and I]. During the songwriting process [for Illusions], he would send us homemade cassette tapes of his songs and ideas. There was no animosity about his reluctance to come to rehearsals, and his songs - like 'Pretty Tied Up' and 'Double Talkin' Jive' - were great [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy, 2011, p. 162-163]

■Slash-
The problem was with Izzy. Because the album [the UYI's] reached such gargantuan proportions as far as the production and complexity and the massive expectations [that] Izzy started to bow out. He was harder to find, because that was against his rock 'n' roll philosophy, which I totally agree with. We got through the basic tracks and I think that's what gave the albums such a natural feel. But when we started getting into the time it took to do overdubs and vocals, he sorta disappeared [Double Vision, Total Guitar Magazine, July 2011]

Oh come on man comparing Adler to Izzy and two totally different eras. By UYI they were all lawyered up to the fucking eyeballs compared to AFD, had there own little teams making sure their client was getting what they deserved, everything would been gone over with a fine tooth comb and ok'd by the band before it was put out. AFD they were stone cold motherless broke and Axl did what he felt he had to do to not have the album pushed back anymore.

Edited by Silverburst80