China Exchange: 60 Minutes with Axl Rose

What amuses me most is that this is the first interview in years where you can ask Axl anything and yet there's not one interesting question asked. Even the part about realeasing music in the future with Guns nad the few reunion comments he adds on his own :facepalm:

Some things he says are quite contradictory like that this is going to last for quite a while and yet that he's not sure Slash will want to be on the next record and at the same time that Slash and Duff are working on some of his music and they like it... So what's the real deal Axl?

The reunion being always a possibility is some kind of bullshit. Maybe he meant it was always possible as in "nothing is ever impossible in this world" or whatever. Anyway he was the one who claimed he'd rather die so not sure what he's talking about.

Still can't believe how come nobody asked him more reunion questions really.

19 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

This was just the audio recording from someone in the room, don't worry the official video will probably be uploaded next week ;)

Oh really? This isn't the official recording......... oh dear. I've blasted everyone cause I'm so upset & let my head rule my mouth (or fingers in this case).

Thanks for answering, now my name will be mud all over the internet.

I tend to get hot headed when angry which isn't very often at all.  :facepalm:

break down what we actually learned here:

1. Axl has always been keen to work on a film soundtrack and may do so in the future, saying ‘I was more interested in that than staying in Guns N’ Roses’.
  2. Axl does regular vocal exercises and has resumed work with a vocal coach he had stopped working with 20 years prior, since the Back In Black material is particularly demanding.
  3. Axl has a varied music taste and particularly enjoys Frank Sinatra, but doesn’t see too much branching into genres such as jazz.
  4. Axl apparently made a concious effort to make his voice ‘clearer’ for the Chinese Democracy album which he feels people did not respond to.
  5. Axl is working on new music which has been received positively by Duff McKagan and Slash.
  6. There no plans for a solo album.
  7. Axl may release his own book.
  8. Axl believes that Slash fabricated some details in his book and told him so over the phone when they patched things up in 2015.
  9. Axl feels that he and Angus Young have good chemistry and is open to working on new music with him.
  10. Slash’s new work ethic impressed Axl, as he and Duff learned the Chinese Democracy material without being prompted.
  11. There are definite plans for a Guns N’ Roses tour in the UK
  12. The current Guns N’ Roses arrangement is one that Axl hopes to keep ‘going for quite a while’
  13. In retrospect, Axl believes he should have self-released more music rather than use a large record label.
  14. Sir David Tang is a douchebag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Some things he says are quite contradictory like that this is going to last for quite a while and yet that he's not sure Slash will want to be on the next record and at the same time that Slash and Duff are working on some of his music and they like it... So what's the real deal Axl

I just woke up, and haven't heard the actual interview. But based on what you say, it sounds like Axl wants to release CD2 next and isn't sure if Slash wants to be part of that record. But Slash and Duff are working on some of his music and they will be at least on the next record after CD2.

I might be wrong though. Gotta hear what Axl actually said.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I just woke up, and haven't heard the actual interview. But based on what you say, it sounds like Axl wants to release CD2 next and isn't sure if Slash wants to be part of that record. But Slash and Duff are working on some of his music and they will be at least on the next record after CD2.

I might be wrong though. Gotta hear what Axl actually said.

says it here 41.00 mark

Edited by Gibbo 27

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Another thing is Axl really loved his last lineup before Slash and Duff returned...and out of all the people who did the right thing it was DJ F'n Ashba who said you know what, I can't be a part of this lineup Axl...the fans want you and Slash. They want Duff, they want that feeling of excitement back from the 90's. I'm stepping aside, this isn't my thing, you guys belong together

and freakin Richard and Frank are over twiddling their thumbs when all they had to say is hey Axl we get it, this reunion will be a big deal and you guys should do it right...we're out. 

That wouldn't necessarily lead to Izzy and Steven rejoining full time. Slash and Duff can be depended on to finish a tour.

2 hours ago, Asia said:

What amuses me most is that this is the first interview in years where you can ask Axl anything and yet there's not one interesting question asked. Even the part about realeasing music in the future with Guns nad the few reunion comments he adds on his own :facepalm:

Some things he says are quite contradictory like that this is going to last for quite a while and yet that he's not sure Slash will want to be on the next record and at the same time that Slash and Duff are working on some of his music and they like it... So what's the real deal Axl?

The reunion being always a possibility is some kind of bullshit. Maybe he meant it was always possible as in "nothing is ever impossible in this world" or whatever. Anyway he was the one who claimed he'd rather die so not sure what he's talking about.

Still can't believe how come nobody asked him more reunion questions really.

I see the one of us will die be a redponse to Slash declining a certain reunion scenario. It might for example be that on the eve of CDs release Azoff was orchestrating a reunion, which Axl was pissed at bcos it messed up CD release. Do then Del asks him and he gives that answer. 

It was always on the table probably after VR split. But Axl was into his thing, he decided years ago to make CD without Slash. He had to. 

Interesting article. 

28 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

One thing to note, I think if Frank and Richard weren't still on board the Chinese Democracy material wouldn't have been so embraced by this new lineup

I didn't realize how much Axl loved his previous line up, and CD as a whole...he's not going to let any of it go unless the guys that were in that last lineup or worked on it leave him. 

The biggest concern is he seems more interested in having Slash and Duff work on material from CD era than creating new music, he seems more interested in doing that with Angus than Slash. 

I guess new music is new music, but I'd still like for him to pull the reigns off Slash and unleash him on a new record, Slash hated you bc you restricted him...don't make that mistake again or he's going to be out the door the moment the reunion check comes in. 

I don't hate CD era, but it sounds like it's very much Axl's way or the highway..."here's Coma Slash, now I'm going to keep all my guys, we are going to play all our songs, here's some music I made 15 years ago work on it of you want, I'm going to rehearse with ACDC, you guys keep up the good work I'll be back to check on you" 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Fuckin hell. I've spent the last day or so lurking on the AC/DC boards - it's been lots of fun reading the comments there. Tremendous entertainment. But first look back here and this!

lol :lol:

Thats what you get for making trips to other forums :P

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I didn't realize how much Axl loved his previous line up, and CD as a whole...he's not going to let any of it go unless the guys that were in that last lineup or worked on it leave him. 

The biggest concern is he seems more interested in having Slash and Duff work on material from CD era than creating new music, he seems more interested in doing that with Angus than Slash. 

I guess new music is new music, but I'd still like for him to pull the reigns off Slash and unleash him on a new record, Slash hated you bc you restricted him...don't make that mistake again or he's going to be out the door the moment the reunion check comes in. 

I don't hate CD era, but it sounds like it's very much Axl's way or the highway..."here's Coma Slash, now I'm going to keep all my guys, we are going to play all our songs, here's some music I made 15 years ago work on it of you want, I'm going to rehearse with ACDC, you guys keep up the good work I'll be back to check on you" 

I suppose the last time Slash was in GNR he was telling Axl to do Snakepit as it was. Or Axl was having to coerce them into working on Nov Rain and Estranged. But I think both Slash and Duff have kind of said how great Axl is. Especially Duff pinpointed Axl's abity to capture popular culture with whistling etc. Duff said it better. Slash credits Axl with SCOM. So I think they are ready to work on Axl's material no questions asked. Like they did on Chi dem, Better, TIL.  I think they see Axl's vision now!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Another thing is Axl really loved his last lineup before Slash and Duff returned...and out of all the people who did the right thing it was DJ F'n Ashba who said you know what, I can't be a part of this lineup Axl...the fans want you and Slash. They want Duff, they want that feeling of excitement back from the 90's. I'm stepping aside, this isn't my thing, you guys belong together

and freakin Richard and Frank are over twiddling their thumbs when all they had to say is hey Axl we get it, this reunion will be a big deal and you guys should do it right...we're out. 

If this is what happened and we had a delusional Axl wanting to keep DJ instead of Slash or along with Slash and DJ had the humility to step back, seriously I apologize to him for all the hate I had. This is the kind of shit you do when you're a real fan, so if true, props to him. 

About the other two, well I guess the paycheck is good, and let's say it's not entirely their fault...Axl can go to them and say 'thanks for your services, but this is a reunion, not your place', but I guess he chooses not to...

I would like to know about Axl's relationship with Izzy and how that works with GNR.

How Izzy can guest with Nu Guns but then when there's a "reunion" he's a no show. I guess they are cool, Izzy just doesn't care for stadium metal? 

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

How do you know Richard and Frank didn't want to leave? YOU DON'T KNOW anything about the negotiations. Ashba leaving for Slash was probably the right thing for the band, but we do not know about Adler and Stradlin being contacted to replace the others.

Perhaps Axl wanted them [Fortus and Frank] to stay because of their relationship.

5 minutes ago, Slosh13 said:

How do you know Richard and Frank didn't want to leave? YOU DON'T KNOW anything about the negotiations. Ashba leaving for Slash was probably the right thing for the band, but we do not know about Adler and Stradlin being contacted to replace the others.

Perhaps Axl wanted them [Fortus and Frank] to stay because of their relationship.

We want Adler, we want Alder :headbang: