What if "Appetite" came out today?

9 minutes ago, Sprite said:

No doubt. I've been listening to AFD for a long time and still can't see what's so great about You're crazy and Anything Goes. 2 of my least favorite GNR songs. It's all subjective.

I love Anything goes but I don't see what's so great about SCOM

Only proves my point even more. 

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

please give me ONE album released on the last 25 years that has got ONE SONG that is just as good as an Appetite For Destruction song

I love Appetite but I can thing of many albums better, with better songs.

I think it would still be huge, not sure it would get to the level it has purely down to how the music industry has changed. They would still become a huge band in general, i wonder what level though a Foo Fighters level or something more along the lines of a QOTSA.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, john lennon said:

Whoa whoa whoa, you don't have to go all defensive here, do you? 

Art is subjective and also, perhaps unfortunately, very much a fashion thing. I can name plenty of albums that, in my opinion, has multiple songs as good as those on Appetite for Destruction. Shit is, you probably won't agree. Why? Because art is subjective. Music is subjective. You can't take one album and then another album, state that the first one is the better and have everyone all over the world agreeing with you. Hey, I know people who would gladly listen to Justin Bieber rather than Guns N' Roses any fucking day. Doesn't mean they're right or wrong or that I'm right or wrong - it's a matter of personal taste. 

thanks a lot for giving me the names of so many "retro bands" that have a singer who is on par with Axl voice/deliver, a rhythm guitar player who is on par with Izzys rhythm/groove/songwriting ability, a lead guitar player that is on par with Slashs ability and musicality etc etc etc

thanks a lot also for giving me so many albums released on the last 25 years by "retro bands" that have got songs that are just as good as Appetite For Destruction songs

what a terrific list of great songs that i had no idea about!

you completely changed my mind on this!

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

from the last 25 years?

On 16/06/2016 at 10:49 AM, Tourettes2400 said:

I have shown my daughters a few pics and they laugh and roll their eyes. My 6 year old says "why do they dress like girls?"  She does love Slash though. Probably because she has listened to him her whole life. 

The 13 yr old likes pop garbage and represents more of a teen in today's world. Most kids now only like over produced pop music. It is kind of sad.

I don't think people would be that shocked if a band came out with their image today or hate on it, look at most of these throw away rap stars today your Wiz Kalifa's and Trinidad Jame's and the like. Lots of tight ripped jeans , tight leather pants and jackets etc...kinda funny really how rock bands looked like rappers in the late 90's and rappers look like rock stars now. Sure some of the bands gear pre AFD and in Axl's case post AFD were questionable, but in my opinion from 87 to 89 they looked cool as fuck.

Edited by Silverburst80

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

thanks a lot for giving me the names of so many "retro bands" that have a singer who is on par with Axl voice/deliver, a rhythm guitar player who is on par with Izzys rhythm/groove/songwriting ability, a lead guitar player that is on par with Slashs ability and musicality etc etc etc

thanks a lot also for giving me so many albums released on the last 25 years by "retro bands" that have got songs that are just as good as Appetite For Destruction songs

what a terrific list of great songs that i had no idea about!

you completely changed my mind on this!

from the last 25 years?

Shit is I don't care about changing your mind, because like I said, it's all subjective and you're gonna diss whatever bands or songs I'd mention anyway because you've decided that Appetite is the best thing to have ever happened. 

End of discussion. 

15 hours ago, john lennon said:

I love Anything goes but I don't see what's so great about SCOM

Only proves my point even more. 

I can't listen to Think About You, everyone else raves about it but I just think it sounds ploddy :/

I skip SCOM too (overplayed) and Anything Goes....maybe that one just to get to Rocket Queen faster. 

24 minutes ago, john lennon said:

Shit is I don't care about changing your mind, because like I said, it's all subjective and you're gonna diss whatever bands or songs I'd mention anyway because you've decided that Appetite is the best thing to have ever happened. 

End of discussion. 

the list of bands on your post is truly amazing

the list of songs is even better

:rofl-lol:

If AFD came out today it would do really well. It wouldn't set the world on fire sales wise but AFD released in 2016 would create a big buzz in the rock world because it kicks fucking ass and people long for a taste of real rock n roll these days. Also a throwback sound also known as nostalgia and it has that 80's rock vibe to it while at the same time not sounding cheesy or dated. It would do really well but of course it wouldn't sell 10 million copies. Maybe 1 million if it caught fire but in 2016 album sales wouldn't really be the goal. Radio airplay and singles would be and with songs like Jungle, SCOM and PC you've got three bonafide hit singles in any era so..... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:
21 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

from the last 25 years?

Sticking specifically to the rock genre, Ragged Glory (1990) is my favourite album of that particular time span - I might also add about two-three more of Neil Young's (e.g. Freedom - perhaps even Sleeps With Angels on a dark day). Also, how about Dylan's Time Out of Mind, a brooding bluesy masterpiece on aging and mortality, a real exploration of the American songbook? Oasis' Definitely Maybe surely also gives Appetite competition, albeit it is difficult to choose between the two.

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sticking specifically to the rock genre, Ragged Glory (1990) is my favourite album of that particular time span - I might also add about two-three more of Neil Young's (e.g. Freedom - perhaps even Sleeps With Angels on a dark day). Also, how about Dylan's Time Out of Mind, a brooding bluesy masterpiece on aging and mortality, a real exploration of the American songbook? Oasis' Definitely Maybe surely also gives Appetite competition, albeit it is difficult to choose between the two.

thanks for those tips

removing oasis (which i really dont like)

i am gonna check all the other ones since i have never listened to any of them! 

:headbang:

To say that AFD would not be big today is to say that every other legendary rock album would not be big today. Great music is great music and is always going to pass the test of time. AFD is still as badass sounding today as it was in 1988. If AFD were to be released today and got good promotion, it would be big. The reason people still listen to these songs is because they sound great. November Rain, for example, would not have all of those views if people did not love what they heard. 

No legendary album released today would sell as much as they originally did because these are different times. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be "big" by today's definition.