new evidence suggests the universe doesn't exist

action

I am very satisfied with Professor Ditchfield's prompt reply:

Thank you for your email. In answer to your question, since we do not teach the Reformation only or primarily in such theological terms it is not a question that myself and my colleagues have recently asked our students to answer. Of course, that is not to say that such a skill would not be value by us. On the contrary, it would be nice to think that a student might know and appreciate this distinction. However, these days the historiography is less interested in what Catholicism/Protestantism IS and more in what they DO! In other words, less in religion as a noun or set of decrees and more in religion as a verb or as behaviour. I hope that makes things at least slightly clearer. 

Seems your former university has moved on and adopted a more reasonable approach to teaching history. 

43 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Thank you for your email. In answer to your question, since we do not teach the Reformation only or primarily in such theological terms it is not a question that myself and my colleagues have recently asked our students to answer. Of course, that is not to say that such a skill would not be value by us. On the contrary, it would be nice to think that a student might know and appreciate this distinction. However, these days the historiography is less interested in what Catholicism/Protestantism IS and more in what they DO! In other words, less in religion as a noun or set of decrees and more in religion as a verb or as behaviour. I hope that makes things at least slightly clearer. 

Seems your former university has moved on and adopted a more reasonable approach to teaching history. 

You didn't? :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

have you actually involved a professor in a mygnr debate?

7 minutes ago, action said:

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

have you actually involved a professor in a mygnr debate?

Maybe Soul can ask this Professor Ditchfield chap his opinion's on such oft-repeated mygnr fodder as, Axl's voice, the merits of Chinese Democracy, or whether or not we will ever see new material?

10 hours ago, Dazey said:

You didn't? :lol:

Thought I could save us a few pages of discussion on whether actual historians at English universities think the differences between transubstantiation and consubstantiation is important. Turns out they don't. Should have done this on page 2 in this thread. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

One question: who the heck is Professor Ditchfield, and how would you know what university I went to?

Professor at York University. Found him through the link you provided. Teaches undergraduate history, including course that spans the reformation. He would never have asked you to write a 500 word essay on obscure theological differences. 

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Why, is it a breach of some house-rule to bring in an actual expert to settle a discussion? :D

of course not. it's just, there isn't much discussion left isnt there? when you bring in a professor (of york university, no less) to do the job for you.

however, seeing where this thread goes, i do feel a change in house rules is appropriate. to participate in a discussion, we should have a university degree (preferrably, something of at least the weight of a political course. that's a bare minimum since political students are something like the laughing stock in any uni i'm aware of). if you have professors to back you up, it's even better.

participants also have to undergo a mandatory dick measurement at admission (women are exempted for this, of course)

Edited by action
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Professor at York University. Found him through the link you provided. Teaches undergraduate history, including course that spans the reformation. He would never have asked you to write a 500 word essay on obscure theological differences. 

He didn't teach me though so it is academic the curricula York sets - as fine as I'm sure that institute is.

You are, to use the American expression, creeping me out Soul haha - you honestly are. I cannot believe you'd actually contact an academic at a British university in the hope to settle some trivial disagreement.

56 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He didn't teach me though so it is academic the curricula York sets - as fine as I'm sure that institute is.

You are, to use the American expression, creeping me out Soul haha - you honestly are. I cannot believe you'd actually contact an academic at a British university in the hope to settle some trivial disagreement.

Again, should have done this on page 2. 

It was evening when I departed from the conversation with Soul. I am curious how Soul contacted a Professor Ditchfield evening time on a non-working day and obtained a speedy enough reply so that he could post here within what must have been a very short time after I left (my post and Soul's Ditchfield post both say ''Posted 19 hours ago''). 

I have never heard of a Professor Ditchfield. All I heard mentioned was an implication that he belonged to my ''former university'' yet I have never mentioned the institutes of my education on mygnr or otherwise, and am not going to as I have visions of Soul obtaining copies of my school reports stretching back to the days when I used to stick A4 pencils up my nose.

Maybe I am being too suspicious but Ditchfield sounds suspiciously like a generic overtly English surname, but my apologies to Mr Ditchfield if he is indeed bona fide.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 2

You could ask him if the response was from him @DieselDaisy.  While you're at it please see if he'd be interested in having a Canters Banter type thread to settle debates and serve as the forums academic advisor, lol?   From Yorks site:

Prof. Simon Ditchfield

Vanbrugh College V/210

Department of History

University of York

Heslington

York

YO10 5DD

UK

Tel: workInternal 2958, External (01904) 322958

simon.ditchfield@york.ac.uk

Edited by soon

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It was evening when I departed from the conversation with Soul. I am curious how Soul contacted a Professor Ditchfield evening time on a non-working day and obtained a speedy enough reply so that he could post here within what must have been a very short time after I left (my post and Soul's Ditchfield post both say ''Posted 19 hours ago''). 

I have never heard of a Professor Ditchfield. All I heard mentioned was an implication that he belonged to my ''former university'' yet I have never mentioned the institutes of my education on mygnr or otherwise, and am not going to as I have visions of Soul obtaining copies of my school reports stretching back to the days when I used to stick A4 pencils up my nose.

Maybe I am being too suspicious but Ditchfield sounds suspiciously like a generic overtly English surname, but my apologies to Mr Ditchfield if he is indeed bona fide.

Just look at the link to York University that you posted, Simon Ditchfield is listed as a teacher on the undergraduate course in history from your very own link. 

I sent him the epost at 22:58 and received the reply at 23:09. It probably took him a couple of minutes to come up with that interesting answer where he confirmed that neither him or any of his colleagues would ever ask undergraduates in general history to write a 500 word essay on the differences between transubstantiation and consubstantiation. That means he had a pretty short response time. I suppose professional historians also have little to do at Saturday evenings. 

If you honestly think I made him and his answer up, that I would blatantly lie, then you are of course too suspicious and don't know me at all. 

• Haha 1