Do you consider 'Civil War' a deep cut?

Do you consider 'Civil War' a deep cut?  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• scooby845 changed the title to Do you consider 'Civil War' a deep cut?

I use to call it a deep cut back in the day but not now. Everybody I know, even non die hards, when it first comes on, they immediately start talking with the movie sample, "what we've got here is, failure to communicate". I'd call it a hit.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 2

I'd call it a fan favourite. It'll get a great reaction from most of the people who go to GNR gigs (can always hear the crowd singing along to it at shows), but it's not something that the general population would know like SCOM or PC or NR.

It’s been a fan favorite since Greatest hits was released. Most casuals have that and AFD.

UYI as a whole is underrated but like I’ve said if GNR can hook you with one performance or one song and you start diving into their catalog of music you begin to realize how talented they were and that’s usually validated by UYI and namely the first time you hear CW. So for people who discover gnr in the future there are plenty of great “Easter eggs” worth of songs and depending on how you discover them CW is definitely a winner 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

It’s been a fan favorite since Greatest hits was released.

so the world begin after Greatest hits was released?

civil war was played in pretty much every show of the biggest GNR tour ever (1991)

and then it was played in pretty much every show of the GNC tour (1992) -- which was bigger than any GNR tour

how on earth can such a song be a deep cut?

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

so the world begin after Greatest hits was released?

civil war was played in pretty much every show of the biggest GNR tour ever (1991)

and then it was played in pretty much every show of the GNC tour (1992) -- which was bigger than any GNR tour

how on earth can such a song be a deep cut?

Not at all. It’s just the simple fact that casual fans are more in tune with WTTJ, SCOM, and PC. 

CW is something that is typically rediscovered or most commonly heard on greatest hits now. 

Most people around in the early 90’s moved on after 93 and listened to other music, other bands. By 2004 most people didn’t listen to GNR regularly. When GH came out it was a nice refresher but also younger people likely discovered gnr through this release. 

I wouldn’t call it a deep cut but ask a casual fan and most will only have the big hits. CW is often forgotten about or discovered later on by people casually listening to gnr. I think For us fans who love gnr and know everything it sounds crazy to imagine any kind of gnr fan not knowing this song, but I think you’d be surprised. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The song has gotten regular airplay on every rock station in my region since the summer prior to the Illusions coming out. Definitely not a deep cut around here anyway.. I would think that most rock fans know it.

Ditto. I hear it on our rock stations a lot...which I love! Not a deep cut imho. 

• Like 1

I dont believe it was released as a single everywhere?  What I know is that it was on Nobodies Child and because the world was hungry for GNR the radio played it.  It was the B -Side to YCBM's single in 91.  Then in 1993 it was released as the Civil War EP - a strange thingy with the album version of it and two other album versions tracks from UYI (depending on region) and a 15 minute interview with Slash.

Wikipedia has it charting in 1992.

Im confused.  Released as first new GNR music in 2 years on Nobodies Child in 1990. B-Side in 91.  Charts in 92.  And is released as a weird (money grab?) EP in 93?

I must be missing something?

Edited by soon