Cultural/Political/Social Trends & Divergence Thread

downzy

15 minutes ago, soon said:

:lol: You got any about Canada or we probably just blend in to the US?

Yeah, I'm lost on Canada to be honest, my awareness of Canada doesn't extend beyond an above average (well, its probably exceptional for someone in England) awareness of your punk rock scene from the 70s and 80s.  The Viletones, Teenage Head, The Subhumans etc etc.  Even that was facilitated by a member of this forum.  Now I think about it I only here good things about Canada, that its like a more tolerant more accepting less nuttier version of the US.  I'm sure the 'version of the US' bit alone is annoying to Canadians.  I'm about the worst person to ask in terms of awareness of other cultures.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wasted said:

Aboot maple syrups goon eh?

Classic! Never heard the "goon" part though :lol:

How can anyone not be head over heals in love with maple syrup? Its exquisite! 

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, I'm lost on Canada to be honest, my awareness of Canada doesn't extend beyond an above average (well, its probably exceptional for someone in England) awareness of your punk rock scene from the 70s and 80s.  The Viletones, Teenage Head, The Subhumans etc etc.  Even that was facilitated by a member of this forum.  Now I think about it I only here good things about Canada, that its like a more tolerant more accepting less nuttier version of the US.  I'm sure the 'version of the US' bit alone is annoying to Canadians.  I'm about the worst person to ask in terms of awareness of other cultures.

Weird thing the Canadian psyche; Im a touch disappointed that no one makes fun of us :lol:

Cool - we have a sort of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon thing. One of the members of the Subhumans was involved in an activist cell called Direct Action. Two of his partners in that work were kinda the Godmothers of our new-millennial counter culture scene and lived near me. And then theres that Bob Rock produced them, then Metallica - part of the GNR family tree.

As for our image - its far more pristine then we deserve. But sometimes we live up to it.

13 minutes ago, soon said:

Weird thing the Canadian psyche; Im a touch disappointed that no one makes fun of us :lol:

Cool - we have a sort of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon thing. One of the members of the Subhumans was involved in an activist cell called Direct Action. Two of his partners in that work were kinda the Godmothers of our new-millennial counter culture scene and lived near me. And then theres that Bob Rock produced them, then Metallica - part of the GNR family tree.

As for our image - its far more pristine then we deserve. But sometimes we live up to it.

I'm aware through the punk scene that there's far more nutters in Canada than the stereotype suggests!  But I guess punk scenes historically have been a breeding ground for nutters. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

On 17-8-2018 at 10:56 AM, Lio said:

I seem to be the only one who enjoyed Roseanne back in the day.

I really liked Roseanne. They didn't show the typical go-lucky American family with petty problems like most sitcoms did back then, but issues that people really deal with. I liked the new season too, although not all the episodes were great.

Don't mind Len, he's British but considers himself Asian, he's too confused to understand a show like Roseanne.

Edited by EvanG
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If a British person and a Yank had sex they'd produce a Canadian basically, distinctly North American and consequentially into shit sports, but a bit less loud and mad - a bit more liberal. That is how I see Canada anyhow. 

There's a punk band from Canada the Forgotten Rebels who done a song called Bomb the Boats and Feed the Fish.  Check out the lyrics:

I don't want no foreign pricks to take my job away from me My tax dollars paid their ransom Would they do the same for me? Now I don't, I don't want 'em in my home I don't, I don't want 'em by me alone They're commies, subhuman subversives, commies They're human living curses They got nowhere to go so let 'em go I don't want 'em around so let 'em down I don't want 'em around so let 'em drown Let's bomb the boats, feed the fish Gulls peck flesh from rancid stiffs decaying on the deep blue sea Bits and pieces here and there, bomb them far from my country Now do you, do you want 'em in your home? Do you, do you want 'em by you alone? They're commies, subhuman subversives, commies They're human living curses They got nowhere to go so let 'em blow And I wanna not have 'em around They got nowhere to go so let 'em drown Let's bomb the boats, feed the fish Bomb the boats, feed the fish Bomb the boats, feed the fish Bomb the boats and feed their fucking flesh to the fish

So yeah, not all liberals :lol:

Just now, Len Cnut said:

There's a punk band from Canada the Forgotten Rebels who done a song called Bomb the Boats and Feed the Fish.  Check out the lyrics:

I don't want no foreign pricks to take my job away from me My tax dollars paid their ransom Would they do the same for me? Now I don't, I don't want 'em in my home I don't, I don't want 'em by me alone They're commies, subhuman subversives, commies They're human living curses They got nowhere to go so let 'em go I don't want 'em around so let 'em down I don't want 'em around so let 'em drown Let's bomb the boats, feed the fish Gulls peck flesh from rancid stiffs decaying on the deep blue sea Bits and pieces here and there, bomb them far from my country Now do you, do you want 'em in your home? Do you, do you want 'em by you alone? They're commies, subhuman subversives, commies They're human living curses They got nowhere to go so let 'em blow And I wanna not have 'em around They got nowhere to go so let 'em drown Let's bomb the boats, feed the fish Bomb the boats, feed the fish Bomb the boats, feed the fish Bomb the boats and feed their fucking flesh to the fish

So yeah, not all liberals :lol:

What I mean is they are a bit more like Brits politically (our Conservative party are loony left compared to the republicans) and have Lizzy on the throne like us, but are into American sports and speak with American accents. Canada is my favourite country in the world because it produced Neil Young; that immediately makes it better than every country that has ever existed. 

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If a British person and a Yank had sex they'd produce a Canadian basically, distinctly North American and consequentially into shit sports, but a bit less loud and mad - a bit more liberal. That is how I see Canada anyhow. 

Shit sports?! :lol:

53 minutes ago, soon said:

Weird thing the Canadian psyche; Im a touch disappointed that no one makes fun of us

I think that South Park already made every Canadian joke in the book.

On a side note, I really like Kenny vs. Spenny.

Edited by EvanG

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well you play hockey and the other yankee sports. You don't play proper sports like football, cricket and rugger. 

Hockey is our sport that the yanks play! Ive played league soccer and rugby. Soccer is really catching on actually, I support my local SC and they play to arenas that dont look empty by any means. But its certainly a new thing.

Curling is superior to Cricket:smiley-confused2:

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think that South Park already made every Canadian joke in the book.

On a side note, I really like Kenny vs. Spenny.

Ive never watched South Park, but theres that "blame Canada" song. Ive heard it but I cant recall the jokes. 

I had no idea that Kenny vs Spenny was Canadian. Thats awesome! :headbang:

17 minutes ago, soon said:

Shit sports?! :lol:

Thing is with the sports you play, over here they're historically considered like, bitch sports?  Like Hockey for instance, over here thats a sport that girls play, girls in posh schools called Tilda and Gretchen whoose parents and Lords and top level investment bankers, the future ruling classes.  Yous just do it on ice.  And you don't get no man points for all that Torvil and Dean, y'know what I mean?  And Basketball too, the closest equivalent here until recent years is Netball, which again, a girls sport, a private school girls sport.  When I was little i fuckin' saw White Men Can't Jump and Above the Rim, I'm like 10/11 yrs old and I asked my old man to get me a basketball net in the back garden and he looked at me like I'd told him I was gay or something :lol: 'Netball?!  What the fuck you wanna play Netball for?' :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

I had no idea that Kenny vs Spenny was Canadian. Thats awesome! :headbang:

Really? They refer to it constantly and it's recorded in Toronto where they are often out in the city while doing their crazy stuff.

But yeah, I love that show... it's original but also so incredibly stupid and silly, which makes it great!

On 8/17/2018 at 9:02 AM, Oldest Goat said:

You think hateful speech should be an illegal crime and you compare it to physically fucking minors?! Jesus. You think hateful speech should be a crime even when it isn't received as such? What you're describing is a rampant thought police which if/when ever fully implemented into society will actually devolve it, cripple the world socially and lower intelligence. You didn't watch the George Carlin video, did you? :lol: You do think it should be a right to never be offended but you won't admit that because in the cold light of day, putting it in clear terms like that sounds ridiculous.

@J Dog @Len Cnut If some asshole randomly came up to you and called you a n*gger or something, would you feel that's even in the same league as being sexually abused as a child? I don't think either of you would and frankly as much as I of course hate racism and stupid negative behaviour like that - anyone who seriously thinks "Hmm, I am hurt by these offensive/hateful words. This is comparable to being sexually abused as a child." Is an absolutely deranged pussy.

My reaction would be something like.....

:lol:

But for real, Len already said most of what I'd say. But no, it doesn't even come close sexual abuse of any kind, let alone little kids. And I'm not with any form of speech being illegal or anything. Not only is that just wrong, but that's a ball that once it gets rolling would be hard to stop.

Being racist isn't cool, it's disrespectful, offensive, ignorant, and a very asshole way of thought. But you know what? People have a right to be assholes. And we as normal thinking people have a right call them out on it and hold them accountable. Or beat their ass if it rubs you the wrong way. Or say what a fucking idiot and go the other way. There are many ways to handle stupid shit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thing is with the sports you play, over here they're historically considered like, bitch sports?  Like Hockey for instance, over here thats a sport that girls play, girls in posh schools called Tilda and Gretchen whoose parents and Lords and top level investment bankers, the future ruling classes.  Yous just do it on ice.  And you don't get no man points for all that Torvil and Dean, y'know what I mean?  And Basketball too, the closest equivalent here until recent years is Netball, which again, a girls sport, a private school girls sport.  When I was little i fuckin' saw White Men Can't Jump and Above the Rim, I'm like 10/11 yrs old and I asked my old man to get me a basketball net in the back garden and he looked at me like I'd told him I was gay or something :lol: 'Netball?!  What the fuck you wanna play Netball for?' :lol: 

Hockey is played by girls in posh schools? Do you mean ringette? Ringette would be like that here, including a father not wanting his son playing it. Hockey is like a touch stone of masculinity here.

Thats fascinating about basketball. I had no idea. And I just dont have reference to make sense of why that would be. Is it like something with the rippling muscles, short shorts with swinging sacks, and sweaty adonis'? :lol:

19 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Really? They refer to it constantly and it's recorded in Toronto where they are often out in the city while doing their crazy stuff.

But yeah, I love that show... it's original but also so incredibly stupid and silly, which makes it great!

I musta just forgot, its been a while since I watched any. We really have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to comedy programming here. Im remembering the Toronto landmarks in it now :headbang:

I think one dimension of it kinda sends-up a very 'Mercian sense of competition like in Amazing Race or Fear Factor. Yeah, the silliness is awesome!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

I watched a movie about hockey fighters called Goon, I assumed it was part of drinking maple syrups off Selena Gomez albums to spite the Bieber. 

I saw the word Metallica and blackedout due to the loss of artistic merit I sensed in the atmosphere. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

I watched a movie about hockey fighters called Goon, I assumed it was part of drinking maple syrups off Selena Gomez albums to spite the Bieber. 

I saw the word Metallica and blackedout due to the loss of artistic merit I sensed in the atmosphere. 

Ahaha! well done! :lol: Right, Hockey Goons for sure. Its funny though, wed claim hockey as our own but blame goon culture on the Yanks! Despite prominent goons even dating politicians, we like to cling to the gentile image of Wayne Gretzky.

I whole heartedly apologize for the Metallica reference :lol:

Hockey is played by girls in posh schools? Do you mean ringette? Ringette would be like that here, including a father not wanting his son playing it. Hockey is like a touch stone of masculinity here.

Thats fascinating about basketball. I had no idea. And I just dont have reference to make sense of why that would be. Is it like something with the rippling muscles, short shorts with swinging sacks, and sweaty adonis'?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hockey+england

See?  Just type England Hockey in youtube and its all fuckin' girls :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=netball+england

Same with Netball, all birds, its a birds game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging, I'm talking about old on-going stereotypes, I'm sure cricket is considered as much a bitch sport over there.

EDIT:  I didn't explain that gay bit right, when I said gay I just meant like, y'know, a sissy, someone into doing a girlie thing.  Like if I'd've said I wanted to do sewing in school or something :lol: 

Edited by Len Cnut

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hockey+england

See?  Just type England Hockey in youtube and its all fuckin' girls :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=netball+england

Same with Netball, all birds, its a birds game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging, I'm talking about old on-going stereotypes, I'm sure cricket is considered as much a bitch sport over there.

i94aI8i.gif 

What have I just witnessed?!?! That is not basket ball! And thats field hockey, not hockey! :lol:

14 minutes ago, soon said:

i94aI8i.gif 

What have I just witnessed?!?! That is not basket ball! And thats field hockey, not hockey! :lol:

I know that and you know that but historically, in this country, thats the only reference point for those sports.  Its not the case anymore, at least since the 90s but those old attitudes still prevail in some quarters, in the same way that there's a lot of Americans in this day and age that ain't havin' football.

On 8/15/2018 at 12:52 PM, Len Cnut said:

Honestly, I’ve never in my real actual day to day life had to deal with someone offended by a joke or a quip or comment I’ve made or something I’ve laughed at.  I feel perhaps like its something that happens only on the internet or we’re told is happening on telly.

I see that with a lot of things. Hear about it all over the internet, then look around and think where is all this stuff going on at.

23 hours ago, wasted said:

I like NWA but also enjoy life insurance. 

Gangsta gangsta. Glad to see you're still kickin.

I remember when basketball sort of was a fad here (Michael Jordan era? Space Jam?) and a few of the hippy hoppy kids got a net and pretended to support the Chicago Bulls. The fad lasted about one month.

It was about as successful as the skateboard craze in the 1980s. We all got skateboards but couldn't use them properly like the yanks so we all lay across the thing front-on (as if swimming) and used the arms on the ground like oars haha

40 minutes ago, soon said:

Ahaha! well done! :lol: Right, Hockey Goons for sure. Its funny though, wed claim hockey as our own but blame goon culture on the Yanks! Despite prominent goons even dating politicians, we like to cling to the gentile image of Wayne Gretzky.

I whole heartedly apologize for the Metallica reference :lol:

None taken. 

British Columbia just sounds like a really classy strain of synthetic weed. I’m half Swiss, half Canadian.