Roadie's Diary Guns N' Roses Prague

45 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I wouldn't know. All I know is that he wrote that he worked as a roadie for the Foo Fighters. In every field of work you find people that are less professional, so just because he took a picture doesn't mean he isn't a professional roadie/stagehand. Of course, there are always idiots who care about fame or would be 'starstruck' just because a celebrity would walk by, but usually that's for either young kids or idiots... I'd expect most people working as roadies or stagehands not to be that way, but yes... I guess that can probably sometimes be the case.

I used to work in an environment where a lot of celebrities worked as well. This is some time ago, so not everyone was carrying around a camera back in the days, but it was deemed highly unprofessional to ask for a signature or to ask to have your picture taken with a celebrity, let alone snap a picture without even asking. The celebrities I'm talking about weren't rock stars though, so you could say hi as you would to any other person, and some were pretty approachable so you could talk to them. Not as in a fan-idol relationship, but as people who happen to find themselves in the same workspace.

This guy taking pics backstage was unprofessional and obviously starstruck, no matter how good he is at the technical aspects of his job.

Diving behind some cases is funny though, but I guess it's the only way in such a huge organization to try and make sure that there are no problems with the minority of roadies who might make an ass of themselves and cause trouble.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lio said:

This guy taking pics backstage was unprofessional and obviously starstruck, no matter how good he is at the technical aspects of his job.

It is unprofessional, but that doesn't mean he isn't a professional roadie, that's all I was saying. I don't know if he was starstruck, maybe he was, or he knew about the mystery around GnR these days and taking pictures backstage would work out great for his blog.

18 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It is unprofessional, but that doesn't mean he isn't a professional roadie, that's all I was saying. I don't know if he was starstruck, maybe he was, or he knew about the mystery around GnR these days and taking pictures backstage would work out great for his blog.

When I said he probably wasn't a "professional" roadie, I meant he wasn't among the crew who travels with the band on all dates. He's likely good at what he does, but it seems to be a job he's doing on the side for a couple of dates. He only mentioned Foo Fighters as his only other reference.

I can imagine the 125 guys traveling with the band are well drilled and know what's up, the Live Nation reps probably don't have to instruct those guys how to behave when the band is in the area. The 125 local workers are probably guys who's good at their jobs, but the promoter still wants to make sure they act professional when the artist is on the premise, that's all.

12 minutes ago, Spirit said:

When I said he probably wasn't a "professional" roadie, I meant he wasn't among the crew who travels with the band on all dates. He's likely good at what he does, but it seems to be a job he's doing on the side for a couple of dates. He only mentioned Foo Fighters as his only other reference.

I can imagine the 125 guys traveling with the band are well drilled and know what's up, the Live Nation reps probably don't have to instruct those guys how to behave when the band is in the area. The 125 local workers are probably guys who's good at their jobs, but the promoter still wants to make sure they act professional when the artist is on the premise, that's all.

A lot of bands have roadies or a crew that have been touring with them for years. Some of them have youtube channels and blogs, filming and taking a lot of pictures backstage and sharing it with the fans and it's no big deal. But I understand that in GnR world everything works different.

• Haha 1

It tends to be a policy set by others not the band or management.

I was part of a security team at a hotel the band stayed at in New Zealand.

While doing our job we mixed with the band and thier management team.

The band members and management were relaxed and very cool to deal with when you engaged with them. 

Two of us from hotel security were asked to accompany the band to the venue. We got to the venue and were part of a briefing on people who would be working backstage or back of house.

These people (head of the venue security and a local promoter rep) told us and made a point, that no one could talk or look at the band members specifically Guns N Roses members.

We had more direct contact with the band within the hotel and we were never given that type of directive.

In fact the band just wanted to be treated normally.

So you change your approch to being  relaxed and professional (knowing not to ask for a selfie).

There is a time and place for that.

All security team members at the hotel got a hug from the band and management team when they checked out.

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Tori72 said:

This is the 2nd time I read that people were not supposed to look at Axl Rose (or the GnR guys) or not even be there / hide behind boxes (!!! :facepalm:) while they’re passing. What stupid shit is that? Can anyone explain please?

I have been in Axls company 20 minutes before stage time. He was gracious, funny and there was no issues about cameras etc.. saying that, there were 4 of us there, (he was number 4). 

There may be rules, but thats how the industry can be.

• Thanks 1