Paul Tobias

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This is like a cosmical WTF!, isn't it??

Guns N' Roses is like full of these stories of people who basically scratched their balls around Axl and they somehow are part of "GN'R history"! :lol::facepalm:

I like to give Tobias shit as much as the next person, but he did a bit more than that... unless his balls are musical that is. :lol:

But yeah, Axls journey and the characters he brought into it... its bonkers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, soon said:

I like to give Tobias shit as much as the next person, but he did a bit more than that... unless his balls are musical that is. :lol:

But yeah, Axls journey and the characters he brought into it... its bonkers

Come on.... what else did he do? Did he define GN'R sound? Did he define GN'R style? Was he fundamental to the conception of GN'R as a band?

No, no, no and no! :bitchfight:

:lol:

17 hours ago, killuridols said:

Paul Tobias, Rob Gardner, Chris Weber, Tracii Guns, Ole Beich: all irrelevant guys some people insist on attaching to Guns N' Roses name, fame & success, for the weirdest reasons.

or Gilby Clarke, DJ Ashba and numerous others. no bad shit against those guys of course, especially Gilby was and is a nice guy. and without Tracii Guns the band would probably still be Hollywood Rose. 

on the other hand, Paul Tobias, Chris Weber and Tracii Guns DO HAVE their respective merits for co-writing many songs from AFD era - altough those days are extremely obscure. but nobody can deny that the guys played many of the later-famous songs before the AFD lineup happened. that's a fact.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Come on.... what else did he do? Did he define GN'R sound? Did he define GN'R style? Was he fundamental to the conception of GN'R as a band?

Axl, Izzy and Tracii were the masterminds behind GN'R. That's undeniable

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We really know very little about this guy, as he has never talked. We have only some idea from what other people have said and how they've described him. He also seems to be someone that doesn't like publicity, it's more the behind the scenes type.

It would be very interesting if he ever talked, because you always get a better idea of someone when they talk, not only (or so much) from what they say, but from how they say it. But it won't ever happen.

Just now, Blackstar said:

We really know very little about this guy, as he has never talked. We have only some idea from what other people have said and how they've described him. He also seems to be someone that doesn't like publicity, it's more the behind the scenes type.

It would be very interesting if he ever talked, because you always get a better idea of someone when they talk, not only (or so much) from what they say, but from how they say it. But it won't ever happen.

@Gambit83 should do an interview with him! :headbang:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

"define" "fundamental" ... well, no.  But he sure did the many other things I listed!  :bitchfight:

But for the record: I cant respect the guy that played over a Slash solo and his face just pisses me off.  :lol:

23 minutes ago, zombux said:

or Gilby Clarke, DJ Ashba and numerous others. no bad shit against those guys of course, especially Gilby was and is a nice guy. and without Tracii Guns the band would probably still be Hollywood Rose. 

on the other hand, Paul Tobias, Chris Weber and Tracii Guns DO HAVE their respective merits for co-writing many songs from AFD era - altough those days are extremely obscure. but nobody can deny that the guys played many of the later-famous songs before the AFD lineup happened. that's a fact.

Ashba is no saint of my devotion and I have no beef with Gilby (I just think he's a dull guy) but they played professionally in Guns N' Roses, embarked on tours and basically, WORKED.

Tobias, Weber, Gardner... they are all mythology to me :lol:
What are the great songs that these zombies co-wrote? You mean SCOM? Paradise City? Welcome to the Jungle?

19 minutes ago, soon said:

"define" "fundamental" ... well, no.  But he sure did the many other things I listed!  :bitchfight:

Fundamental as in..... who are the people that entered the studio to record the albums that made Guns N' Roses become one of the most important rock bands in the world? :awesomeface:

Lolololol... what are the things you listed Tobias did? Apart from cutting the pizza, being a Yoko and playing over Slash guitar? :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Ashba is no saint of my devotion and I have no beef with Gilby (I just think he's a dull guy) but they played professionally in Guns N' Roses, embarked on tours and basically, WORKED.

What are the great songs that these zombies co-wrote? You mean SCOM? Paradise City? Welcome to the Jungle?

Fundamental as in..... who are the people that entered the studio to record the albums that made Guns N' Roses become one of the most important rock bands in the world? :awesomeface:

Lolololol... what are the things you listed Tobias did? Apart from cutting the pizza, being a Yoko and playing over Slash guitar? :facepalm:

Co-wrote some GN'R songs. Are you obtuse? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Not: "Define fundamental?" :lol:  

You said he'd didnt "define" there sound and wasnt "fundamental"  Im agreeing he did neither of those two things, lol.

PS: I never said anything about pizza.  Im so confused :P

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Not: "Define fundamental?" :lol:  

You said he'd didnt "define" there sound and wasnt "fundamental"  Im agreeing he did neither of those two things, lol.

PS: I never said anything about pizza.  Im so confused :P

Welcome to Confusing Jungle! :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Ashba has zero songwriting credits from his time in Guns N' Roses, and his only official release during his run was the Appetite for Destruction DVD. Paul co-wrote multiple songs off Chinese Democracy, co-wrote multiple songs from the "classic" era of the band, played piano and guitar on Chinese Democracy, and played one of the biggest and most remembered shows in the band's history (RiR III). He just happened to be in the band a bulk of the time was spent out of the public eye. I can see the argument that, despite being in the original lineups, Ole or Rob Gardner did not contribute a lot to Guns N' Roses as we know it, but to say Paul was a "zombie" with no real contributions to Guns N' Roses seems ridiculous. I am not even a huge fan/supporter of the guy; just stating facts. You could easily argue he had a bigger impact on the band than DJ, who despite all his talk of writing music for the band, was essentially a touring guitarist for four years and some change. 

Also, once more to his credit, we have hard from multiple people that Axl never intended Paul to be a full fixture in the band. He was just supposed to help write with Axl and help lay down guitar tracks until Duff and Slash decided on a full-time replacement, which apparently never happened. At that point in the band, relationships were so toxic that I have to imagine anyone Axl "supported" would have been treated like shit by Duff, Slash, and Matt. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Ashba has zero songwriting credits from his time in Guns N' Roses, and his only official release during his run was the Appetite for Destruction DVD. Paul co-wrote multiple songs off Chinese Democracy, co-wrote multiple songs from the "classic" era of the band, played piano and guitar on Chinese Democracy, and played one of the biggest and most remembered shows in the band's history (RiR III).

I would really like to know how much of that co-writing is essential to those tracks.... a guy who never had any success of his own, how can all of a sudden become this spectacular mastermind behind Guns N' Roses music? :lol:

How much did he write? 95% of songs? 25% of songs? Just added some notes here and there? Does anybody accurately know this?
Which are the multiple songs he co-wrote in AFD? I think I remember 'Anything Goes'... which is... uh.... not like the greatest hit from AFD, is it? :lol:

What other masterpiece did he write? Back Off Bitch? :lol:

And RIR III the biggest and most remembered show in the band's history?? ahahahaaha that's a supra-hyper-ultra hyperbole like I've never heard before! :facepalm:

25 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

to say Paul was a "zombie" with no real contributions to Guns N' Roses seems ridiculous. I am not even a huge fan/supporter of the guy; just stating facts. You could easily argue he had a bigger impact on the band than DJ, who despite all his talk of writing music for the band, was essentially a touring guitarist for four years and some change. 

And anyone could easily argue that neither Tobias or Ashba had ANY kind of impact in Guns N' Roses.

27 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Also, once more to his credit, we have hard from multiple people that Axl never intended Paul to be a full fixture in the band. He was just supposed to help write with Axl and help lay down guitar tracks until Duff and Slash decided on a full-time replacement, which apparently never happened. At that point in the band, relationships were so toxic that I have to imagine anyone Axl "supported" would have been treated like shit by Duff, Slash, and Matt. 

To his credit, one could say that Tobias doesn't hype his GN'R connection in the scandalous way some fans do it on his behalf, like I said, for the weirdest reasons.

It is only a handful of strange fans giving Tobias and the other zombies more importance than they ever had or ever will.

As for the way the band treated him, I have no idea, but I totally agree with Slash that no one else than them, the band members, belonged in a rehearsing room where they were trying to save Guns N' Roses in 1995. So any other people that Axl brought in were just third wheel intruders, who should have known better and step out of the way.

It seems Tobias was in a garage band in Indiana with Axl and Izzy. He co-wrote two early songs with Axl, which became Hollywood Rose songs and then GnR songs: Shadow Of Your Love and Back Off Bitch. There are no other documented contributions of him in classic GnR.

Then he's credited for co-writing Oh My God and much of CD.

In the meantime the only known thing he did was this band, Mank Rage (with Axl's other Indiana friend, Dave Lank, who contributed to the lyrics of Don't Damn Me).

I don't doubt his contribution to the two old songs. They have never been disputed by anyone. They were basic rock 'n' roll songs and they were probably reworked.

I have some doubts though (without proof, of course, but only based to what he had done until then) that he wrote so much on CD as he's been credited for.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1