Paul Tobias

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

Come on.... what else did he do? Did he define GN'R sound? Did he define GN'R style? Was he fundamental to the conception of GN'R as a band?

No, no, no and no! :bitchfight:

:lol:

Weeelllllllll....now that you mention it...Tobias might not have defined GNR sound, but he helped Axl to realise what sound he was after and that's pretty influential.  I have to dig up the video where Axl talks about this.  Blackstar, you might remember the vid?

Poor old Paul Tobias. :lol:  I have this weird interest in the guy?  As in, I would genuinely like to find out 1. how he really plays and 2. what he properly looks like/who he really is.  He's like a mythical figure in GNR history.  We know so little about him, yet he is a black cloud that hangs over Guns.  He's more interesting than Ashba anyway!

Oh, found the video.  Axl says, "I used to play with this guitar player called Paul, and I learned about Blues and emotionalism and stuff through him and he was a big Page fan."  He then goes on to say how it took him 5 years to find someone who played from the heart and guess who he found?  Slash of course. ;)  2:56 mark.

Edit: experiencing technical difficulties with the vid. LOL In process of fixing.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Oh, found the video.  Axl says, "I used to play with this guitar player called Paul, and I learned about Blues and emotionalism and stuff through him and he was a big Page fan."  He then goes on to say how it took him 5 years to find someone who played from the heart and guess who he found?  Slash of course. ;)  2:56 mark.

For some reason, the video you posted appears in my screen as the Saskatoon show? :question: LOL

I really can't be convinced that this guy is so awesome, as all evidence presented it looks and sounds like a stretch to me.

Tobias helped Axl find the sound he was after?... ugh, I dont know about that.... One could say Axl's sound is a product of a bunch of influences like the music he liked when he was a kid, the music he grew up with, his environment, his family, the 60's and the 70's..... Humans absorb culture from different sources, not just one person, not just one situation.

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

For some reason, the video you posted appears in my screen as the Saskatoon show? :question: LOL

I know, it's freaking me out.  Any time I go to copy/paste any video at all, the video that actually ends up appearing here is Saskatoon.  It's like Saskatoon is haunting my computer...or this forum. :lol:  I don't know what the glitch is.

I really can't be convinced that this guy is so awesome, as all evidence presented it looks and sounds like a stretch to me.

Tobias helped Axl find the sound he was after?... ugh, I dont know about that.... One could say Axl's sound is a product of a bunch of influences like the music he liked when he was a kid, the music he grew up with, his environment, his family, the 60's and the 70's..... Humans absorb culture from different sources, not just one person, not just one situation.

Yeah, I reckon he did (help Axl find the sound he was after).  I'm inclined to believe Axl when he says he learned about Blues and 'playing from the heart' - the key phrase here - from Tobias.  Otherwise, I don't know why he'd say it?  I'm guessing that it's not a style of music that Tobias instilled in Axl, rather an attitude, an authenticity that made a lasting impression on Axl. 

I mean, probably Tobias isn't that great a guitar player (I believe Slash when he says that), but he seems to have been a kind of mentor figure for Axl?  So to Axl, he's awesome.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, I reckon he did (help Axl find the sound he was after).  I'm inclined to believe Axl when he says he learned about Blues and 'playing from the heart' - the key phrase here - from Tobias.  Otherwise, I don't know why he'd say it?  I'm guessing that it's not a style of music that Tobias instilled in Axl, rather an attitude, an authenticity that made a lasting impression on Axl. 

I mean, probably Tobias isn't that great a guitar player (I believe Slash when he says that), but he seems to have been a kind of mentor figure for Axl?  So to Axl, he's awesome.

I think Axl gives him much more credit than what Tobias really is. Probably because he feels some sort of attachment... People from your childhood, hometown, early years always occupy a place in your heart that neither time or money can erase.

I can understand that... but I have no attachments with Tobias and also, I have no proof of his undeniable talent. Its impossible for me to see him as an influence or an important piece of Guns N' Roses history.

He is not and he should not be presented as such.

4 hours ago, zombux said:

or Gilby Clarke, DJ Ashba and numerous others. no bad shit against those guys of course, especially Gilby was and is a nice guy. and without Tracii Guns the band would probably still be Hollywood Rose. 

on the other hand, Paul Tobias, Chris Weber and Tracii Guns DO HAVE their respective merits for co-writing many songs from AFD era - altough those days are extremely obscure. but nobody can deny that the guys played many of the later-famous songs before the AFD lineup happened. that's a fact.

Tracii himself stated that GNR were very accurate and didn't use anything for AFD which he has written. I believe it's the same with the stuff of the other guys. It was removed and replaced with Slash's and Duffs input.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Don’t really have a huge problem with the guy. Who can honestly blame him for the break up.... and I love his Sympathy for the Devil call backs on slash’s solo. @ me

This. The band was falling apart anyway. To blame it on Paul is immature and short-sighted. I don't think Paul deserves a lot of the shit thrown at him. He contributed in the early years, and he contributed towards the latter years. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

I think Axl gives him much more credit than what Tobias really is. Probably because he feels some sort of attachment... People from your childhood, hometown, early years always occupy a place in your heart that neither time or money can erase.

I can understand that... but I have no attachments with Tobias and also, I have no proof of his undeniable talent. Its impossible for me to see him as an influence or an important piece of Guns N' Roses history.

Sorry to point this out but you don't speak for Axl or the band. Re-read what you have stated. Thats your personal opinion. "I think Axl gives him much more credit than what Tobias really is" so you personally know thats what Axl thinks or thats your opinion?.

"He is not and he should not be presented as such". So you are part of the band and along with the other members believe that is the case or is that your personal opinion?.

Sorry just having a hard time understanding why you as a fan seem to believe Paul Tobias and his relationship with Axl and his history with the band, and how that has an effect on your daily life?.

Edited by kiwiguns

10 hours ago, killuridols said:

Is anyone presenting him as "an important piece of Guns N' Roses history" or saying he has "undeniable talent"? He co-wrote some GN'R songs and played four shows with the band. That's it. If you happen to really love those songs then I suppose he is important to you. If you happen to not like those songs then I suppose he is not important to you. There really is no reason for all this abrasive hyperbole.

4 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Sorry to point this out but you don't speak for Axl or the band. Re-read what you have stated. Thats your personal opinion. "I think Axl gives him much more credit than what Tobias really is" so you personally know thats what Axl thinks or thats your opinion?.

"He is not and he should not be presented as such". So you are part of the band and along with the other members believe that is the case or is that your personal opinion?.

Sorry just having a hard time understanding why you as a fan seem to believe Paul Tobias and his relationship with Axl and his history with the band, and how that has an effect on your daily life?.

If I start my comment with "I think" and you still have to ask me if that is my personal opinion then.... :shrugs:

Not sure what my daily life has to do with any of this... you are tripping now.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Is anyone presenting him as "an important piece of Guns N' Roses history" or saying he has "undeniable talent"? He co-wrote some GN'R songs and played four shows with the band. That's it. If you happen to really love those songs then I suppose he is important to you. If you happen to not like those songs then I suppose he is not important to you. There really is no reason for all this abrasive hyperbole.

Yes, check some pages ago. Some guy was hyperbolizing Tobias participation saying things like he co-wrote "multiple" songs of the classic era and was part of the biggest and most remembered GN'R show in history :lol:

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes, check some pages ago. Some guy was hyperbolizing Tobias participation saying things like he co-wrote "multiple" songs of the classic era and was part of the biggest and most remembered GN'R show in history :lol:

Really? I said he "co-wrote some songs", which is a fact, you seem to exaggerate this to "co-wrote multiple songs of the classic era", which is more of a stretch. Do you simply find it easier to argue against exaggerated versions of what other people say than to relate to reality? And what about the "undeniable talent"? Who said that? Where does that come from? You might not like the guy, which is fine, but you don't have to exaggerate people's more tempered opinions just to create an argument.

• Like 1

The enigma that is Paul Tobias.

I loved his contributions on Chinese and oddly enough, loved the way he played the intro to Paradise City at Rio. Would be very very cool if Brando was able to get him in for an interview. It'd be great to hear his opinions from the demise of the band following the Sympathy for the Devil sessions.

Edited by Dean
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Really? I said he "co-wrote some songs", which is a fact, you seem to exaggerate this to "co-wrote multiple songs of the classic era", which is more of a stretch. Do you simply find it easier to argue against exaggerated versions of what other people say than to relate to reality? And what about the "undeniable talent"? Who said that? Where does that come from? You might not like the guy, which is fine, but you don't have to exaggerate people's more tempered opinions just to create an argument.

I usually only respond to people who quote me and there is someone who said that to me. Maybe you should go back and read it.

I will not be explaining to you the stream of messages and how conversation developed or evolved up to this point. Go back and read everything again, from page 1 to page 3.

To me, this argument about Tobias ended when I last responded to @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle. The rest is just hungry crows looking for carrion the day after.

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

If I start my comment with "I think" and you still have to ask me if that is my personal opinion then.... :shrugs:

Not sure what my daily life has to do with any of this... you are tripping now.

killuridols. I like to assume that people mean well when they post, so I will assume you have trouble reading and will try to explain myself more thoroughly. 

Paul Tobias did help write multiple songs for the classic lineup: "Shadow of Your Love" and "Back off Bitch." I am not saying they are great songs, but he did co-write them, and they did end up officially released. 

Rock in Rio III was, objectively, one of Guns n' Roses' biggest and most viewed shows. I am not saying one of the best (although I am partial to it), nor did Paul Tobias' involvement have anything to do with the size of the show. It, was, however, the general public's first glimpse of the post-Slash lineup (I know they played the Vegas show - I was there - but that flew under the radar for a lot of people), it had a huge crowd, and was broadcast. If you search a Guns N' Roses song with the word "live" added on, a video from RiR III will likely be within the first page of results. 

I honestly could not care less about Paul Tobias, but to say he didn't contribute in any way to Guns N' Roses is false. 

• Like 3