Paul Tobias

10 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

killuridols. I like to assume that people mean well when they post, so I will assume you have trouble reading and will try to explain myself more thoroughly. 

Paul Tobias did help write multiple songs for the classic lineup: "Shadow of Your Love" and "Back off Bitch." I am not saying they are great songs, but he did co-write them, and they did end up officially released. 

Rock in Rio III was, objectively, one of Guns n' Roses' biggest and most viewed shows. I am not saying one of the best (although I am partial to it), nor did Paul Tobias' involvement have anything to do with the size of the show. It, was, however, the general public's first glimpse of the post-Slash lineup (I know they played the Vegas show - I was there - but that flew under the radar for a lot of people), it had a huge crowd, and was broadcast. If you search a Guns N' Roses song with the word "live" added on, a video from RiR III will likely be within the first page of results. 

I honestly could not care less about Paul Tobias, but to say he didn't contribute in any way to Guns N' Roses is false. 

I don't think I have problems reading. One song that didn't make it to AFD and another song in UYI is not "multiple" songs from the classic era. That's were I think people exaggerate his contributions.

Also, no one has been able to tell me what exactly is the contribution of Tobias in each song he co-wrote. No one truly knows what exactly he did in each song, as he was never a member of the band and the songs ended up being recorded by other musicians. 

Rock in Rio is a festival. I doubt GN'R with that creepy lineup would have been able to gather all that people solely by themselves. Among the old fans, though, RIR from 1990 is the Rio show that matters, Axl's voice was not the best but the show is a classic and a favorite one. The pictures of Axl wearing the US flag bikers have become classic as well and you can find them illustrating amounts of GN'R articles and news. The Axl from RIR 2001 is one no one wants to see or remember.

Lastly, I never said Tobias did not write anything, but whatever contributions he made, in my opinion, are so minimal that everytime he's brought up in a thread I can't do anything else but laugh. It might be a mean thing to do and I assume my fault, but I guess I'm just laughing at the attempts of some people who have a strange need to oversize who he is, and like I said before, I must give him credit for not doing the same thing himself. Now that would be crazy. I'm glad he seems not to be that kind of person.

He wrote more than one song during the classic era of the band. It does not matter how many of them made albums. Please explain how more than one is not multiple. 

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

If I start my comment with "I think" and you still have to ask me if that is my personal opinion then.... :shrugs:

Not sure what my daily life has to do with any of this... you are tripping now.

Yes, check some pages ago. Some guy was hyperbolizing Tobias participation saying things like he co-wrote "multiple" songs of the classic era and was part of the biggest and most remembered GN'R show in history :lol:

Also, you misquoted me earlier. I did not say Paul was involved with "the biggest and most remembered GN'R show in history." I said it was a historically significant show and one of their biggest. You're absolutely right that RiR II was bigger, and probably more remembered by the general public, but RiR III was still a big deal. 

Also, outside of the guitar solos on Chinese Democracy, you could make the same argument about not knowing exactly what Robin, Ron, Richard, Buckethead, and Paul played. Are you telling me you can tell, on every single song, which power chords are being played by Robin Finck or Richard Fortus as opposed to Paul? 

I am in no way trying to overstate Paul's contributions to the band, but am acknowledging he probably had more of a role in making the album than many might expect. 

Also, you got to love the people trying to argue against Axl's very own words that Paul inspired Axl musically. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

He wrote more than one song during the classic era of the band. It does not matter how many of them made albums. Please explain how more than one is not multiple. 

multiple adjective uk /ˈmʌl.tɪ.pəl/ us /ˈmʌl.tə.pəl/
very many of the same type, or of different types

multiple adjective [ not gradable ]  us /ˈmʌl·tə·pəl/
consisting of or involving many things or types of things

adjective
1. consisting of, having, or involving several or many individuals, parts, elements, relations, etc.; manifold.

Also, you misquoted me earlier. I did not say Paul was involved with "the biggest and most remembered GN'R show in history." I said it was a historically significant show and one of their biggest. You're absolutely right that RiR II was bigger, and probably more remembered by the general public, but RiR III was still a big deal. 

I did not misquote you. You said this:

21 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Paul co-wrote multiple songs off Chinese Democracy, co-wrote multiple songs from the "classic" era of the band, played piano and guitar on Chinese Democracy, and played one of the biggest and most remembered shows in the band's history (RiR III).

and right away I said this:

21 hours ago, killuridols said:

What other masterpiece did he write? Back Off Bitch?

And RIR III the biggest and most remembered show in the band's history?? ahahahaaha that's a supra-hyper-ultra hyperbole like I've never heard before!

Also, outside of the guitar solos on Chinese Democracy, you could make the same argument about not knowing exactly what Robin, Ron, Richard, Buckethead, and Paul played. Are you telling me you can tell, on every single song, which power chords are being played by Robin Finck or Richard Fortus as opposed to Paul? 

I don't know what exactly those guys did either, but we're not talking about those guys, right? If you want to talk about their contributions, you could open a thread for that. But I think I could assume that since Buckethead is a lead guitarist, he must have contributed in a much more significant way than Tobias. Finck's solo from TIL sounds to me much more important than some little Tobias piano in whatever song he played.

• GNFNR 1

Tobias co-wrote multiple songs released under the GN'R name, two in the classic era and several on CD. He co-wrote one of my favorite GN'R songs, OMG, as well.

He also didn't "record over" Slash on Sympathy for the Devil. Slash's solo is still there. All Paul did was add a call and response bit to the solo, and did some lead overdubs. None of Slash's work was wiped.

• Like 2

Last time I checked Axl said there would be no GNR without him, and he had a lot of writing credits.idk if Paul convinced Axl to continue onward by that statement? I mean someone like Gilby can play on stage for how many years and have no writing/creative credit and everyone is fine with it. Another guy works behind the scenes to help cowrite a chunk of songs and he gets bashed. I know slash hated him but it's over now. 

Edited by Order of Nine
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, killuridols said:

multiple adjective uk /ˈmʌl.tɪ.pəl/ us /ˈmʌl.tə.pəl/
very many of the same type, or of different types

multiple adjective [ not gradable ]  us /ˈmʌl·tə·pəl/
consisting of or involving many things or types of things

adjective
1. consisting of, having, or involving several or many individuals, parts, elements, relations, etc.; manifold.

I did not misquote you. You said this:

and right away I said this:

I don't know what exactly those guys did either, but we're not talking about those guys, right? If you want to talk about their contributions, you could open a thread for that. But I think I could assume that since Buckethead is a lead guitarist, he must have contributed in a much more significant way than Tobias. Finck's solo from TIL sounds to me much more important than some little Tobias piano in whatever song he played.

Fair enough regarding that definition of multiple. I tend to think of "multiple" as meaning "more than one," but I can see why you'd disagree with that. I'll say he wrote a couple of songs for the classic era. 

As for RiR III, you absolutely did misquote me. I said it was on of the biggest shows in GN'R history; not the biggest. I am not going to argue that it made more of an impression than the Appetite for Destruction or Use Your Illusion era lineups, but it was the reintroduction of Guns N' Roses on a huge stage, was broadcast, and remains one of the most watched shows; particularly among hardcore GN'R fans. The fact that the show was part of a festival and a lot of people would not have seen the band in another context doesn't matter. It was still a huge show with a massive audience. 

I wonder if Paul finally escaped the vault when management was getting the new Appetite box set ready. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Tobias co-wrote multiple songs released under the GN'R name, two in the classic era and several on CD. He co-wrote one of my favorite GN'R songs, OMG, as well.

He also didn't "record over" Slash on Sympathy for the Devil. Slash's solo is still there. All Paul did was add a call and response bit to the solo, and did some lead overdubs. None of Slash's work was wiped.

Key word here, overdubs. All without Slash's consent. It wouldn't go down well for me if I was the best lead guitarist in the world & my supposed brother (Axl) added parts without my knowledge. Kind of like letting Matt LeBlanc drive Hamilton's Mercedes F1 in a race. 

speaking of Paul, I'd like to remind of this source http://ladydairhean.0catch.com/Axl/stats.htm

see the AXL lineup in Lafayette, that is before the guys moved to LA (of course, Jeffrey Isabelle and Bill Bailey have still their civil names, unlike Paul or Dave Lank). 

remember that 2001 (I forgot if it was HOB or RIR3) Axl's quote about "the original guitar player Paul"? well, he wasn't kidding, because Paul indeed was the original guitar player in the very first pre-GNR band.

later, in late 1989's, both Paul and Dave had minor contributions to UYI.

the GNR world is sometimes surprisingly small.

When you read the strong opinions on him in this thread and add to it the strong opinions about OMG and CD, plus his association with the demise of the band, I could imagine a call to appear on Appetite for Distortion might feel to him like being called to the Principals office.  Or facing a jury of his peers, lol.

Of course they'd take good care of him on the podcast and do a fun, interesting interview.  Just saying what he might anticipate in having to face any GNR fans.

Really hope he can appear!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

When you read the strong opinions on him in this thread and add to it the strong opinions about OMG and CD, plus his association with the demise of the band, I could imagine a call to appear on Appetite for Distortion might feel to him like being called to the Principals office.  Or facing a jury of his peers, lol.

Of course they'd take good care of him on the podcast and do a fun, interesting interview.  Just saying what he might anticipate in having to face any GNR fans.

Really hope he can appear!

I don't think he's much of a problem here, rather than the people who wants to oversize his participations. I'd prefer an interview with those who have made a religion of equating Tobias to GNR :lol: because it'd be interesting to understand what's up with that...

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I don't think he's much of a problem here, rather than the people who wants to oversize his participations. I'd prefer an interview with those who have made a religion of equating Tobias to GNR :lol: because it'd be interesting to understand what's up with that...

I don't think anyone is 'making a religion of equating Tobias to GNR'. On the contrary, i think people have provided quite grounded retorts to claims that he was either the cause of the band's demise, or is un-noteworthy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

@Gambit83 should consider holding moderated live debates between all our favourite mygnr debate partners! :lol:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

No one is making a religion of equating Tobias to GNR...whatever that means. In fact except for you, other people here seem to have a levelled understanding of Tobias' contributions to the band and have no need to embellish. He helped write some songs and played some shows. You accuse other people of exaggerations, but you are the only one doing it when you argue that he did nothing but cut pizzas. Kinda funny that this fact seems to be beyond you. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No one is making a religion of equating Tobias to GNR...whatever that means. In fact except for you, other people here seem to have a levelled understanding of Tobias' contributions to the band and have no need to embellish. He helped write some songs and played some shows. You accuse other people of exaggerations, but you are the only one doing it when you argue that he did nothing but cut pizzas. Kinda funny that this fact seems to be beyond you. 

I'm just having fun with all that because I see how ya all get mad and too serious about him :lol:

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I'm just having fun with all that because I see how ya all get mad and too serious about him :lol:

I don't think anyone is getting mad, just people trying to discuss with you. But thanks for letting us know you are just trolling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

He should never have been anywhere near this band. Only in GnR can your bedroom guitarist buddy replace Izzy Stradlin'.

Another "WTF was he thinking" moment for the redhead.

Izzy left. Gilby replaced him. Paul replaced Gilby. I am pretty sure Axl would have preferred Izzy to stay. 

Edited by SoulMonster

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Izzy left. Gilby replaced him. Paul replaced Gilby. I am pretty sure Axl would have preferred Izzy to stay. 

Point being, he should never even have been brought into the band.

Soulmonster let me whine mate. Dont take that from me. It's not Friday yet. Besides, bashing Tobias is a GnR tradition here. :lol:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Point being, he should never even have been brought into the band.

Soulmonster let me whine mate. Dont take that from me. It's not Friday yet. Besides, bashing Tobias is a GnR tradition here. :lol:

I think his role in breaking the band is exaggerated. There were so many problems there, Tobias was just the straw that broke the camel's back. It would have ended anyways, I am sure. He was a convenient scapegoat. 

Personally, for his writing contributions I am happy he has been associated with band. 

Would have loved to hear his story. 

Edited by SoulMonster

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Knew you would arrive at that subject eventually - too much of the sojourn on it.

• Haha 1