Paul Tobias

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think his role in breaking the band is exaggerated. There were so many problems there, Tobias was just the straw that broke the camel's back. It would have ended anyways, I am sure. He was a convenient scapegoat. 

Personally, for his writing contributions I am happy he has been associated with band. 

Would have loved to hear his story. 

Fair enough. It seemed to me like filling the rhythm guitarist spot was some kind of power play between Axl and Slash. Tobias got caught in the middle of that. As per Canter, it looks like this was a big part of why slash quit.

My main issue with Tobias is in the Duff quote below:

[Axl] had hired his best friend for the band. I couldn't play with him. Paul Huge, that was the guy! He's a friend of Axl, he's a 'yes man.' [...] Man, you can't be in Guns N' Roses just like that. That was a real band. [...] Well, imagine you and I grow up together and you're my best friend. OK, I'm in Guns N' Roses and I tell the rest you're going to join the band. "OK, Slash, Axl, Matt, guys, this guy is in the band". "Duff, you got a minute?" "No, he's in the band" "Well, no. Everyone in the band has to vote it, Duff, so no way!" "Fuck you, this guy is in the band! I'm not doing anything unless this guy is in the band" "OK, you know what? We'll try and play with him, since you're that much interested in it. Hey Duff, the guy can't play" "I don't care" "Well that's not very reasonable." "I don't care". At that point, what would you do? I came to a point where I couldn't even look at [Paul Huge]. If I were in such a situation, if I were the friend joining the band, I'd say "Hey guys, you've done very good yourselves alone, I'm not going any further. Hey, Duff, thanks for the offer, but I'm breaking your band." But he didn't say it[Popular 1, July 2000]

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Fair enough. It seemed to me like filling the rhythm guitarist spot was some kind of power play between Axl and Slash. Tobias got caught in the middle of that. As per Canter, it looks like this was a big part of why slash quit.

My main issue with Tobias is in the Duff quote below:

[Axl] had hired his best friend for the band. I couldn't play with him. Paul Huge, that was the guy! He's a friend of Axl, he's a 'yes man.' [...] Man, you can't be in Guns N' Roses just like that. That was a real band. [...] Well, imagine you and I grow up together and you're my best friend. OK, I'm in Guns N' Roses and I tell the rest you're going to join the band. "OK, Slash, Axl, Matt, guys, this guy is in the band". "Duff, you got a minute?" "No, he's in the band" "Well, no. Everyone in the band has to vote it, Duff, so no way!" "Fuck you, this guy is in the band! I'm not doing anything unless this guy is in the band" "OK, you know what? We'll try and play with him, since you're that much interested in it. Hey Duff, the guy can't play" "I don't care" "Well that's not very reasonable." "I don't care". At that point, what would you do? I came to a point where I couldn't even look at [Paul Huge]. If I were in such a situation, if I were the friend joining the band, I'd say "Hey guys, you've done very good yourselves alone, I'm not going any further. Hey, Duff, thanks for the offer, but I'm breaking your band." But he didn't say it[Popular 1, July 2000]

This is just one out of many examples of Axl pushing his decisions upon the rest of the band. The firing of Gilby is another example. One might wonder what the climate in the band must have been to allowed Axl to take that role.

But I also find it hypocritical of Duff to refer to Paul as a "yes man". When did Duff stand up to Axl? When did Duff and Slash put their foot down and try to reel Axl in when he slowly took more and more control of the band? They might not have said "yes", but they also didn't stand up to him. Matt did, and he got fired. As Duff would later admit, in his biography: "We were never any good with communication, especially when that meant confrontation. If we could have developed those skills then, the story of GN'R might have been very different." They hid like cowards, retreated into booze and drugs, thus strengthening Axl's resolve to take control. 

As for arguing that Paul should have rejected the offer to come in and play with the band. I don't know. From Axl he probably got the impression he was wanted by the band, or at least needed, maybe he was just offered to help out for a temporary period, to get things rolling again. I think most people wuld have jumped at that opportunity. I can't really blame him for doing it. Maybe when he experienced the hostility of the rest of the guys he should have left, but none of us knows exactly what happened there. Maybe he thought it would blow over. We still haven't heard Paul's version of it. "Angry Duff", "angry Slash", and "angry Matt" has been allowed to write that story undisputed and I will not accept that unconditionally.

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If I was going to Troll, you'd see me on the U2 forum under the username ''BonoIsAWankstain''.

Instead we see you on a GN'R forum under the username "DieselDaisy". 

• Like 4

Yes, trolls everywhere. Don't you see, they know that Paul didn't break the band but the break up was inevitable years before Paul was in the band? That simply was the very bitter end for a very long time. This is just a thread to try to get talk going once again over what really lead to Adler's firing, Izzy leaving etc. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Something I’ve certainly thought about. If my show ever gets to a point where I can put out content constantly (time/money) I’m down. 

And I’ve reached out to Paul via email. Brain was nice enough to give it to me, though they haven’t spoken in a few years. We’ll see if he responds.

All good news!  Hope you hear back from Paul.

Those debates could be epic!  And super informative.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Something I’ve certainly thought about. If my show ever gets to a point where I can put out content constantly (time/money) I’m down. 

And I’ve reached out to Paul via email. Brain was nice enough to give it to me, though they haven’t spoken in a few years. We’ll see if he responds.

Funny, I contacted him myself just a few days ago. Hopefully your accolades will make a difference and he will agree to talk to you. 

46 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Funny, I contacted him myself just a few days ago. Hopefully your accolades will make a difference and he will agree to talk to you. 

• Like 1

On 15.5.2018 at 4:40 PM, killuridols said:

Rock in Rio is a festival. I doubt GN'R with that creepy lineup would have been able to gather all that people solely by themselves. Among the old fans, though, RIR from 1990 is the Rio show that matters, Axl's voice was not the best but the show is a classic and a favorite one. The pictures of Axl wearing the US flag bikers have become classic as well and you can find them illustrating amounts of GN'R articles and news. The Axl from RIR 2001 is one no one wants to see or remember.

This. Period. 

... except for the fact that RIR II was in 1991 ;-)

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Wanting an argument with Paul Tobias, otherwise known as Paul Huge, on ''theisms''? 

1 hour ago, Kwick1 said:

Yes, trolls everywhere. Don't you see, they know that Paul didn't break the band but the break up was inevitable years before Paul was in the band? That simply was the very bitter end for a very long time. This is just a thread to try to get talk going once again over what really lead to Adler's firing, Izzy leaving etc. 

Afraid me this thread finish same that Steven  thread:max:

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think anyone is getting mad, just people trying to discuss with you. But thanks for letting us know you are just trolling. 

Trying to discuss what...........?? There's nothing to discuss about this irrelevant dude :lol:

You love trolling too but you try to disguise it under airs of solemnity and seriousness.....

xfeel_like_a_sir.jpg.pagespeed.ic.imagen

1 hour ago, zigzagbigbag said:

This. Period. 

... except for the fact that RIR II was in 1991 ;-)

Yeah, thanks for the correction :)