Which "Chinese Democracy" tracks were NOT released / leaked before the official release of the album in 2008?

Where did you hear that?

All we know is that Atlas Shrugged didn’t make the cut because of time constraints, according to Bumblefoot. This I Love was also supposedly not going to be included until Axl was pushed by Tommy and other members. Perhaps Atlas was replaced by This I Love.

Silkworms and Oh My God were both played live and didn’t make the final album. OMG ended up on the End of Days soundtrack.

Going Down and “Jackie Chan” didn’t make the album, but both leaked (only a snippet of the latter).

Edited by GNR 1991
  • Like 1

I think they meant what songs officially on the album didn’t leak prior to the albums release.

Scraped, Sorry and This I Love. But that’s a matter of outlook. Before the album officially dropped on 11/23/08 every song was out there due to the album streaming on MySpace. 

Then before that there were clips of songs from the “semi political” video ads that leaked. 

• Like 1

I don't remember Prostitue, Shackler's Revenge Scraped or Sorry leaking.  

Shackler's was released early though in the rock band game 

1 minute ago, Grayfox said:

I think they meant what songs officially on the album didn’t leak prior to the albums release.

Scraped, Sorry and This I Love. But that’s a matter of outlook. Before the album officially dropped on 11/23/08 every song was out there due to the album streaming on MySpace. 

Then before that there were clips of songs from the “semi political” video ads that leaked. 

This I love had leaked early.

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

I don't remember Prostitue, Shackler's Revenge Scraped or Sorry leaking.  

Shackler's was released early though in the rock band game 

Prositute leaked from Skewl and Shacklers leaked as Chicken Dinner before Rockband 2

I mean in the sense that it wasn’t a finalized version. If you consider This I Love leaked then you’d have to say the entire album did. One month or so prior to album launch every song had been heard in full except This I Love, Scraped and Sorry.

Not taking into consideration every demo version.

Chinese Democracy - Demo/Live/Radio ad

Shacklers Revenge - Demo/Rock Band game

Better - Demo/Harley Ad/Live

Streert of Dreams - Demo/Live/Radio Ad

If The World - Demo/Body of Lies Soundtrack

There Was A Time - Demo/Live

Catcher In the Rye - Demo

Riad N The Bedouins - Demo/Live

IRS - Demo/Live

Madagascar - Demo/Live/Radio Ad

Prositute - Demo

Which leaves Scraped, Sorry and This I Love as just album leaked version which is common for to be released material. Which we had the video ads, the click track versions then the MySpace versions, then the 320KBS rip of the album. So technically everything on the album leaked prior to actual release. 

Edited by Grayfox
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, wasted said:

None of the leaks I heard were better than the final versions in terms of a studio album. 

Catcher sounded like a classic 70's rock track in the Bryan May demos. On the album it's a musical abortion with way too much guitar. 

All the demos leaked prior to early 07 in my opinion apart from Madagascar sounded better in demo form than on the album. Just needed mastered. You can also hear Tommy's base on them, where as on the album Bumblefoot's additional guitar parts are recorded over it.

I really think even without hindsight, it was indefensible that those tracks still didn't get released for years later. Better got played on uk radio almost 3 years before it was offically released. No wonder it didn't matter when it eventually was.

32 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Catcher sounded like a classic 70's rock track in the Bryan May demos. On the album it's a musical abortion with way too much guitar. 

All the demos leaked prior to early 07 in my opinion apart from Madagascar sounded better in demo form than on the album. Just needed mastered. You can also hear Tommy's base on them, where as on the album Bumblefoot's additional guitar parts are recorded over it.

I really think even without hindsight, it was indefensible that those tracks still didn't get released for years later. Better got played on uk radio almost 3 years before it was offically released. No wonder it didn't matter when it eventually was.

I suppose CD wasn’t that same 70s meets 80s thing but it was 70s meets 90s in the 00s. That’s what makes it great. 

• Like 3

the remaining 3 tracks (Scraped, Sorry, TIL) were in fact leaked some time before the actual album release, as excerpts which could be listened to at some online audio market, I think it was german Amazon but I'm not that sure about that tidbit.

the excerpts were 15 or 30 seconds long, or something like that.

Scraped, Sorry and This I Love as others mentioned.

Of course shortly before the album dropped, bits of and full versions of these tracks leaked, some with annoying audio insertions, but they were album versions and not unfinished, or discarded mixes or "demos" as before.

I too prefer many of the leaked tracks over the album version. Some were far less layered, and didn't suffer from overproduction.  I do like some elements of released album tracks over the demos, but also like some demo bits that were missing or mixed low in the album versions. Axl surrounds himself with talent, so I'm sure it was difficult putting these songs together with so many great parts to choose from. 

I'd love for Shackler's to be all Buckethead on the album, same with Riad. I can't stand Bumble's Riad solo, hopefully they scrap all of his work (I did enjoy some of it though) in favor of keeping Bucket's parts on songs he worked on in a future album. I wish they kept the 1999 version of Catcher, as another mentioned here. I also like the 2001 The Blues, and the 2001 Maddy.  They were just more "raw" I suppose. Maybe one day they will release the 1999 version of the album as a bonus or something.  Haha though that's unlikely to ever come to fruition. 

The 4 tracks were

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Scraped, Sorry and This I Love as others mentioned.

Of course shortly before the album dropped, bits of and full versions of these tracks leaked, some with annoying audio insertions, but they were album versions and not unfinished, or discarded mixes or "demos" as before.

I too prefer many of the leaked tracks over the album version. Some were far less layered, and didn't suffer from overproduction.  I do like some elements of released album tracks over the demos, but also like some demo bits that were missing or mixed low in the album versions. Axl surrounds himself with talent, so I'm sure it was difficult putting these songs together with so many great parts to choose from. 

I'd love for Shackler's to be all Buckethead on the album, same with Riad. I can't stand Bumble's Riad solo, hopefully they scrap all of his work (I did enjoy some of it though) in favor of keeping Bucket's parts on songs he worked on in a future album. I wish they kept the 1999 version of Catcher, as another mentioned here. I also like the 2001 The Blues, and the 2001 Maddy.  They were just more "raw" I suppose. Maybe one day they will release the 1999 version of the album as a bonus or something.  Haha though that's unlikely to ever come to fruition. 

I can't stand both! Buckethead's Riad solo and Bumblefoot's Riad solo... but Bumble's was little better... 

Buckethead's Riad solo it's probably the worst solo I've ever heard in my life...

18 hours ago, Serpens Albus said:

It recall someone / somewhere saying that before "Chinese Democracy" was officially released in 2008, 3 tracks were not leaked, released or played live.

If this is true, could you explain which tracks were not released by 2008? thank you

I think the leaked tracks totally dominated the final CD tracklist. If those tracks didn't leak maybe we could of got a different track line-up.

• Like 1

Everything leaked before the album was released but if you mean which songs weren't heard or out there before the release was put in motion, I think only Scraped, This I Love and Sorry. 

That was the complaint a lot of people had at the time, we were only getting 3 unheard songs.

• Like 1

Chronology as best I remember it:

January 2001: Riad n' the Bedouins, Chinese Democracy, Street of Dreams (then known as the Blues), Silkworms played live at Vegas show. Madagascar played at Rio.

September 2003: IRS played on Eddie Trunk's show by Mike Piazza, but somehow the audio doesn't come out for over a year

April 2005: Low-quality radio rip of IRS leaked online

Feburary 2006: High-quality studio version of IRS leaks as well as a clip of the first minute of so of Better. The full Better comes out a couple of weeks later.

March-April 2006: TWAT leaks, as does a demo of Catcher in the Rye featuring Brian May

May 2006: Better, IRS and TWAT played live for the first time. IRS has a new guitar solo that wasn't in the demo and TWAT has that intro with the choir. Also Chinese Democracy has a new long intro and Street of Dreams and Madagascar have noticeable differences from the versions played live in 2001 and 2002

May or June 2006: Lower quality demos of IRS and TWAT (supposedly from 1999) leak

March (?) 2007: Studio version of Madagascar leaks

May 2007: Studio versions of Chinese Democracy and Street of Dreams leak for the first time, along with revised demos of Better, IRS and TWAT

June 2008: The Skwerl leaks come out, with the first studio version of Riad and the first time we ever heard If the World and Prostitute, along with (new?) versions of the six songs already leaked

August 2008: Shackler's Revenge leaked as "Chicken Dinner." It officially is released for the first time in Rock Band 2 in September

October 2008: The final album, along with the first appearances of Sorry, Scraped and This I Love is leaked on file sharing networks but in a weird chopped up format with lots of audio errors designed to anger the consumer into purchasing the album through legitimate means. The major labels were doing this at the time to dissuade piracy.

November 2008: Chinese Democracy released

December 2009: If the World, Shackler's, This I Love, Sorry, Scraped, Prostitute, Catcher all played live for the first time

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Propaganda said:

The 4 tracks were

I can't stand both! Buckethead's Riad solo and Bumblefoot's Riad solo... but Bumble's was little better... 

Buckethead's Riad solo it's probably the worst solo I've ever heard in my life...

I'm not sure about Buckets solo but I do know Ron had very little control over his Riad solo. 

Carem and Axl had Ron do a shit ton of jamming / soloing, then they just cut & pasted together whatever parts they liked the best and that was how the solo was made. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1