Marvel fatigue anyone

Going to go see Deadpool & Wolverine again over the next couple of days. 

I really enjoyed it, but wonder how much of my experience was influenced by having Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds in attendance and giving a speech before the film.

Apparently its opening North American weekend gross is estimated to be north of $205 million. It could end up having the sixth or seventh biggest opening weekend of all time, and the biggest opening weekend for a R rated movie since Deadpool 2 (which grossed $132 million).

With that kind of money, a follow up is almost guaranteed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downzy said:

Going to go see Deadpool & Wolverine again over the next couple of days. 

I really enjoyed it, but wonder how much of my experience was influenced by having Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds in attendance and giving a speech before the film.

Apparently its opening North American weekend gross is estimated to be north of $205 million. It could end up having the sixth or seventh biggest opening weekend of all time, and the biggest opening weekend for a R rated movie since Deadpool 2 (which grossed $132 million).

With that kind of money, a follow up is almost guaranteed. 

I thought it was just ok

Deadpool movies suffer from having lame villains. If the villain was better maybe id like it more.

I do think if I saw it again,  I would not like it as much.   Its not the movie I expected.

The cameos were cool but wish they had more than the few they did.  

Now that I’ve had more time to think on it: i think the whole rdj as doom thing can work if he’s an alternate Tony who got put up for adoption at birth and ended up in latveria, being raised under the name Victor Von Doom.

About Deadpool and Wolverine: I thought it was decent. Not as good as I expected. Thought they really wasted the opportunity of giving Hugh Jackman Wolverine a sendoff in the MCU. I thought the girl from Logan would step up as MCU Wolverine. Well, at least they can do a Wolverine X Hulk movie now. That’d be great.

As for RDJ as Doom, I’m mixed about it. I can work out. HEAR ME OUT here:

• Make Viktor Von Doom just an alias this Tony Stark uses.
  • Make him an alternate universe Tony Stark that never stopped selling weapons after the whole Iron Man 1 incident with the terrorists.
  • Make his mask literally be the mask of that first Iron Man armor prototype with the flamethrowers in Iron Man 1
  • Have him reveal he’s Tony Stark at the end of Avengers Doomsday, so it’s not a huge plot point.
  • Have another alternate Doom from Earth 616 or the Fantastic Four universe, and this one be another one, just for the Secret Wars/Doomsday movies.
  • Have Peter Parker kill him.

This would be nice. It’d be a completely different Doom from the comics, but they can make a comic-accurate one be from Earth 616. 

honestly, I really liked RDJ as Iron Man in the Marvel universe that him coming back as a different character is exciting for me, even if I think there are issues with this decision, however it worked in Deadwood to great effect for example and the multiverse lends itself to shit like this.

the kang thing could have been interesting but for me this has so much more potential to be great. I hope they pull it off. it's risky, but RDJ is a good actor, I think he can do the character justice.

• Like 1

I haven't watched a marvel movie since 'Captain Marvel', which was dogshit.

I haven't watched a superhero movie since 'The Batman' which was also dogshit.

This genre became so over-saturated and the films have suffered because of it.

On 7/29/2024 at 8:55 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Now that I’ve had more time to think on it: i think the whole rdj as doom thing can work if he’s an alternate Tony who got put up for adoption at birth and ended up in latveria, being raised under the name Victor Von Doom.

Imo I think you need to have rdj just play Doom. Not a Stark variant. See the Chris Evans thing ect.

Spending 1/5 of the film with characters trying to get through to "Tony" would just make for an uninteresting time and ultimately be a waste of the character.

I'm assuming RDJ will play Iron Man in Secret Wars anyway.

On 8/1/2024 at 3:09 PM, Cosmo said:

Have Peter Parker kill him.

Spider-Man is still a Sony franchise, I'd bet there's close to a 0% chance of this happening.

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Spider-Man is still a Sony franchise, I'd bet there's close to a 0% chance of this happening.

I'm not so sure. A few years ago the X-Men and the Fantastic Four were Fox franchises, now they're basically the two pillars holding the future of the MCU together. Other than the spider-verse animated movies, every Spider-man movie Sony has put out in almost a decade have been flopping harder and harder. I'm sure both Sony and Marvel know that, when it comes to movies, the Spider-man name is slowly becoming worthless when not associated with Marvel Studios.

4 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I'm not so sure. A few years ago the X-Men and the Fantastic Four were Fox franchises, now they're basically the two pillars holding the future of the MCU together. Other than the spider-verse animated movies, every Spider-man movie Sony has put out in almost a decade have been flopping harder and harder. I'm sure both Sony and Marvel know that, when it comes to movies, the Spider-man name is slowly becoming worthless when not associated with Marvel Studios.

Eh - Sony are pumping endless Spider-Man spin offs for sequels. Madam Webb, Venom, Morbius, Kraven - with an El Muerto, Spider-Woman and several more planned featuring quazi obscure characters. Then there's the Enter the Spiderverse films which have done gangbusters at the box office with another next year ect.

Sony aren't throwing in the towel on the IP anytime soon, it's a net cash cow (the extended Sony Spider Cinematic Universe) whether the films are bad or not.

• 3 weeks later...