2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

6 hours ago, Jw224 said:

TIL remix vocals are from 09 or 10 imo. They wouldn't fit over the original song at all so they cannot be demo vocals. I also don't think the raspy vocals fit the song at all, it's fine for a fun alternate version but that's it. 

The live versions in 2010 I hear really raspy vocals that totally fit the song.

The album version is the only song I skip on the record, really.

The vocals on the album version are good, but the layering kills it for me... makes it sound so over the top.

I still think the remix vocals are from about 2009-10, when they were actually focusing on the remix album. There probably was an earlier version of the 'hiphop loop' demo but to me it sounds like those vocals were recorded after CD came out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

The live versions in 2010 I hear really raspy vocals that totally fit the song.

The album version is the only song I skip on the record, really.

I think it's more the way he sings it. It's like he knew it was going to be for a remix. He doesn't sing it the way he sings the album version or even the raspy 2009-2010 live versions. 

imsorry did a mashup of both versions and it sounds weird. It doesn't fit the vibe of the album version at all. But an actual album version with rasp vocals, intented for that version, would be mindblowing.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I think it's more the way he sings it. It's like he knew it was going to be for a remix. He doesn't sing it the way he sings the album version or even the raspy 2009-2010 live versions. 

imsorry did a mashup of both versions and it sounds weird. It doesn't fit the vibe of the album version at all. But an actual album version with rasp vocals, intented for that version, would be mindblowing.

I totally agree with you about the remix vocal track not fitting the album instrumental. I just meant that the rasp vocals fit the song.

My go to is the Adelaide, Australia cam mix. Love it!

15 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The vocals on the album version are good, but the layering kills it for me... makes it sound so over the top.

I still think the remix vocals are from about 2009-10, when they were actually focusing on the remix album. There probably was an earlier version of the 'hiphop loop' demo but to me it sounds like those vocals were recorded after CD came out.

He just wasn't singing that way before 2010, so I also believe it's from after 'Chinese Democracy' was released.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

When you say mashup - was it the CD track with remix vocals he did? Or was it something else?

30 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

When you say mashup - was it the CD track with remix vocals he did? Or was it something else?

I don't remember it exactly, but it was like a mix between the two. With the solo included and all.

You obviously can't 100% isolate the remix vocals... so you could hear the track, but it had the CD version too. I don't have it anymore TBH.

32 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I don't remember it exactly, but it was like a mix between the two. With the solo included and all.

You obviously can't 100% isolate the remix vocals... so you could hear the track, but it had the CD version too. I don't have it anymore TBH.

I did wonder how that would work - I know you could get the CD tracks from Rock Band but the vocals would be an issue - if the remix was on Rock Band we could do it but no joy.

Edited by DTJ80

28 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

Yeah. If that would be possible, we could take the raspy vocals and put them into the instrumental track of the CD version...

There's a new(ish) program out there called Spleeter that does a pretty decent job of isolating vocals on any MP3. Might be worth looking into for a lot of the remixes. 

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Yes that's exactly it. 

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

There's a new(ish) program out there called Spleeter that does a pretty decent job of isolating vocals on any MP3. Might be worth looking into for a lot of the remixes. 

Thanks Russ, we should give it a try!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

D tune is very underrated. Awesome Robin's leads there.

Yep, very nice song. Unfortunately, chinese democracy has been over-produced, which makes it hard to hear his guitar work. I would love an album with just Robin on lead guitar + an album with just Buckethead on lead guitar. But hey, we all want "something" in the world of gnr.

I’m definitely not against the possibility that the raspy hip hop TIL thing is from after CD release. However, he would have pulled this vocal in studio in around 2006, wouldn’t he. I’d say his 2006 and 2010 were on a par, more or less. Also, you can take any live 2018 and compare it with Rock the Rock (also 2018) – having heard the former, you wouldn’t guess he’d pull the latter. 
So who knows. Absolutely awesome in any case, and way better than any other version (vocal-wise ofc) I’ve heard. 

I remember someone in the know saying that TIL was originally written to a hip-hop beat, so it wouldn't surprise me if the remix vocals were recorded before CD. Then again, i also remember someone in the know saying that Axl deleted the original recordings, so it's also possible he revisited TIL with the hip hop idea after its official release.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

I’m definitely not against the possibility that the raspy hip hop TIL thing is from after CD release. However, he would have pulled this vocal in studio in around 2006, wouldn’t he. I’d say his 2006 and 2010 were on a par, more or less. Also, you can take any live 2018 and compare it with Rock the Rock (also 2018) – having heard the former, you wouldn’t guess he’d pull the latter. 
So who knows. Absolutely awesome in any case, and way better than any other version (vocal-wise ofc) I’ve heard. 

Rock the Rock was recorded in 2016. 

9 hours ago, wreckless said:

Yep, very nice song. Unfortunately, chinese democracy has been over-produced, which makes it hard to hear his guitar work. I would love an album with just Robin on lead guitar + an album with just Buckethead on lead guitar. But hey, we all want "something" in the world of gnr.

I think the 2006 demos were already a good mesure of how good the combination of Bucket and Robin was, even though most people only talk about Bucket. 

BTW, I just learnt how to play Robin's solo in D-tune. It's such a unique approach, some very odd choices that somehow end up working. I absolute love his style.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I always appreciated and enjoyed Robin's playing.

The new village leaks gave me an even greater appreciation for the guitar skills of Robin Finck. The old Riad solo seems to be his since it's on the mix with Josh's drums, for years I assumed it was by Bucket.

32 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I always appreciated and enjoyed Robin's playing.

The new village leaks gave me an even greater appreciation for the guitar skills of Robin Finck. The old Riad solo seems to be his since it's on the mix with Josh's drums, for years I assumed it was by Bucket.

It's actually half Robin / half Bucket. Just like the live renditions.

It really pisses me off that Axl teased a very Steve Ray Vaughan style Robin solo in an unreleased song that we may never hear unless it leaks. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

It really pisses me off that Axl teased a very Steve Ray Vaughan style Robin solo in an unreleased song that we may never hear unless it leaks. 

This!  I am certain over time more will leak, as Axl, Caram, and French Eric kept on in the studio in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2014 tinkering with previously recorded material (if rumors are half true), and I am sure they did more than rework the 2000 sessions, though there was a lot of that over the years!

I tried to isolate the "TIL Remix" raspy vocals best I could and loaded it into Pro Tools and mixed it in with the Rock Band stems, so you'd essentially get the remix vocals over the album track. Pretty cool and interesting to hear it that way (;)), although I like both the record and remix versions the way they were to begin with.

- cosmicblues 

Edited by cosmicblues