The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Is that still true for GNR though? I really doubt tens of thousands of people bought the Hardschool single or UYI anniversary shirts/sweatpants. The Locked N Loaded set had to be heavily discounted and was broken down into individual items.

Their last chance to capitalize on album sales was 2016. Even if it was CD leftovers or a covers album, it would've done respectable numbers because of the reunion hype. A live album would've done relatively well if it had been released for christmas 2016.

That was probably the original plan. Not necessarily in 2016 but probably in the 2017/2018 period. At which point we were told the impending new material was essentially going to be CD-era leftovers. 

56 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

That was probably the original plan. Not necessarily in 2016 but probably in the 2017/2018 period. At which point we were told the impending new material was essentially going to be CD-era leftovers. 

Axl never had any plans to work on new material. That's why we are left with 20+ year vocals and the scraps slash and duff put together.

A normal band would of worked together and done new material before starting that 2016 tour and use it to promote their new material.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Is that still true for GNR though? I really doubt tens of thousands of people bought the Hardschool single or UYI anniversary shirts/sweatpants. The Locked N Loaded set had to be heavily discounted and was broken down into individual items.

That's exactly what we're talking about - all of these are subpar and or overpriced products! And that's the way since the Tokyo Vids.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vloors said:

A normal band would of worked together and done new material before starting that 2016 tour and use it to promote their new material.

Tell that to Rage Against the Machine, Counting Crows, Mudvayne, the Misfits, the Replacements, that Sex Pistols, My Chemical Romance, etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Tell that to Rage Against the Machine, Counting Crows, Mudvayne, the Misfits, the Replacements, that Sex Pistols, My Chemical Romance, etc. etc. etc.

My Chemical Romance at least released a brand new track to play on said tour (hopefully an album at some point as well). I agree that there are a lot of bands that are doing the same as gnr, I think it's just more annoying with them considering their release history. I don't even mind that they're releasing older stuff (big cd era fan tho) I just want them to release it lol.

Edited by Jw224

15 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

My Chemical Romance at least released a brand new track to play on said tour (hopefully an album at some point as well). I agree that there are a lot of bands that are doing the same as gnr, I think it's just more annoying with them considering their release history. I don't even mind that they're releasing older stuff (big cd era fan tho) I just want them to release it lol.

Yeah but even that only came out because the tour was delayed because the pandemic.  

I'm just saying this isn't as unusual as people make it out to be here. In fact it's probably more the norm than anything 

I think it is more the norm. There are so many bands that are touring or did some kind of reunion tour without new music. The Police, Genesis, Pavement, The Stone Roses, Blur (although they eventually released a record), and uhm, Spice Girls. And the list goes on really.

15 hours ago, EvanG said:

I think it is more the norm. There are so many bands that are touring or did some kind of reunion tour without new music. The Police, Genesis, Pavement, The Stone Roses, Blur (although they eventually released a record), and uhm, Spice Girls. And the list goes on really.

Blur recorded there's during two weeks when they were stuck in Hong Kong after some shows got cancelled. It came out 2 years later. Even then, the reunion started 2009 and it was followed by a single in 2010, another in 2012 and an album in 2015. 

Along with a few live albums and dvds. How a reunion should be handled! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Blur recorded there's during two weeks when they were stuck in Hong Kong after some shows got cancelled. It came out 2 years later. Even then, the reunion started 2009 and it was followed by a single in 2010, another in 2012 and an album in 2015. 

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The point that was made is that a lot of bands have done a reunion tour without new music, so the claim that GnR is so abnormal in regards to this doesn't quite add up.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The point that was made is that a lot of bands have done a reunion tour without new music, so the claim that GnR is so abnormal in regards to this doesn't quite add up.

I think the point is they do A re-union tour. GnR has been touring for years with out nothing. The NITL was the re-union sort of tour.  After that?  Most are just one and dones

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

I think the point is they do A re-union tour. GnR has been touring for years with out nothing. The NITL was the re-union sort of tour.  After that?  Most are just one and dones

Nope. Several of the bands that were mentioned have been touring for many years without releasing new music too. 

Just now, El Guapo said:

Have these bands teased that new music might be just around the corner for years and years as well?

Not sure the "reunion" lineup has done that. They have been rather quiet, except "lately" when Slash has talked about releasing singles and where we have received singles.

Surely there is more money in releasing music than not releasing any music, especially as all the songs are written and recorded and just need Slash/Duff to put their spin on them, something they could do in a week from anywhere in the world. The sunken cost is already there. Releasing new music (which isn't new, doesn't require Axl in the studio, doesn't require layers and layers of tinkering and production) has to be more profitable than sitting on work already paid for.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Have these bands teased that new music might be just around the corner for years and years as well?

“teased”? haha…, if you mean mentioned a possibility of new music in the future, then yes… several of them have in fact.

I’m not sure GnR has been “teasing” new music as badly as you want to believe. As for those other bands, some of them have been mentioning a possibility of new music for even longer, so there you go. Maybe it’s time to accept that GnR is in this regard not as unique as you are claiming they are.

Edited by EvanG

42 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I’m not sure GnR has been “teasing” new music as badly as you want to believe. As for those other bands, some of them have been mentioning a possibility of new music for even longer, so there you go. Maybe it’s time to accept that GnR is in this regard not as unique as you are claiming they are.

Didn’t Slash say in the last 6 months that “new music was coming out as week speak” with more “complicated arrangements”” and that the UYI boxset was coming out this summer? We’ve been teased with Atlas for how many years now? Not to mention the teases pre reunion from fortus, BBF etc?

That’s a tease if I ever heard one. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

Didn’t Slash say in the last 6 months that “new music was coming out as week speak” with more “complicated arrangements”” and that the UYI boxset was coming out this summer? We’ve been teased with Atlas for how many years now? Not to mention the teases pre reunion from fortus, BBF etc?

That’s a tease if I ever heard one. 

Oh boy, what a tease Slash is. Naughty boy indeed. 
Seriously, don’t hang on every single word that someone says, especially not with this band. And don’t act like they’ve been promising new music every time they do an interview.

• Like 1