The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

To think that out of all songs, this was the one to choose as the first new "comeback" single... Idk, why didn't they release HS first? Also, do we know what that "joke" Axl mentioned regarding Absurd was about? I remember he said something like that, but I guess I'm not in on it.

IMHO because Axl knows there's no way anything they release today will measure up to their previous songs. Remember the last time they released music together things like Estranged were on it. So Axl decided to release something totally out of left field that has absolutely no aspirations to even become a "hit" from the getgo. I like Absurd more than Hard Skool too it's a more exciting song, HS is just too generic. I think even weaker deep UYI songs are better than it, atleast Absurd has the absurdity of it going for it.

In some way, releasing Absurd is the most Guns N Roses thing ever. They might aswell could have come back with a proper recorded version of It Tastes Good Don't It and it would have had the same effect, better song too.:lol:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

IMHO because Axl knows there's no way anything they release today will measure up to their previous songs. Remember the last time they released music together things like Estranged were on it.

And My World and Shotgun Blues, and Bad Obsession. Personally, Absurd and hard Skool in terms of quality fits well into songs off UYI, with a mediocre song (Absurd) that is still better than the worst off UYI and a good song (Hard Skool) that could easily have replaced a good handful of the not-so-good songs on UYIs. 

Absurd and Hard Skool would fit UYI more than Chinese IMO, ironically. (The released versions, not the Village leaks, of course) 

Upon listening to HS more and more, the only thing I like about the official version is the second part of Slash's solo, and the extended Axl verse towards the end.

A properly mixed and mastered Village version with the above added would be my ideal mix. I wish they would enhance the "CD leftovers" in this fashion, sort of how they handled Absurd, but to a lesser extend rather than re-working it as much as they did on Jackie Chan.

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

And My World and Shotgun Blues, and Bad Obsession. Personally, Absurd and hard Skool in terms of quality fits well into songs off UYI, with a mediocre song (Absurd) that is still better than the worst off UYI and a good song (Hard Skool) that could easily have replaced a good handful of the not-so-good songs on UYIs. 

If Absurd and Hard Skool were written and performed by the real band in the same time frame as the other Illusion songs, yes. 

Both these songs suffer big time from the Frankenstein approach to my ears.

• Like 1

Imo it's not Axl's vocals that Absurd suffers from. Axl's vocals are surprising and kind of a shocker when you first hear them and yeah, he could have written its own 2nd and third verse instead of repeating the first one all the time. But at the end It's that stupid repetitive and soulless main riff during the verses that really sucks. I don't know how close it is to the original but I wish Slash would have come up with something better. His lead guitar on Absurd however is far more interesting than the guitar solo on Hard Skool imo. Hard Skool's solo isn't special nor bad but it's the guitar work throughout the verses combined with Axl's voice what screams GNR and that's kind of cool.

19 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

bad obsession and absurd the same?  hahaahaha

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

bad obsession and absurd the same?  hahaahaha

I would take My World all day over Absurd. Consequently I would take HS over My World but by the smallest of margins. My World being my least favorite GNR track that has ever been released is still infinitely better than Absurd. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

On 7/26/2022 at 6:46 PM, darkside259 said:

can you imagine what could happend if gnr make  covers of  wes band "the outpatience" ? those would be epic 

pd i know im just dreaming 

Just listened to the album on my way in to work the other day it's full of UYI vibes

• GNFNR 1

17 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

I would take My World all day over Absurd. Consequently I would take HS over My World but by the smallest of margins. My World being my least favorite GNR track that has ever been released is still infinitely better than Absurd. 

I agree. Absurd was just bizzare. They can do so much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2022 at 12:53 PM, gavgnr said:

The last quarter of ‘22 seems to be a perfect time to release a new record, maybe during the Japan leg with a single or two during the SA leg?

of course, that would make too much sense so it’ll never happen 😂

They’ll go ahead and release a couple more singles before that’ll ever happen, if it’s even in the plans. I believe the plans were to trickle in a few more tracks as Slash suggested. I do believe the sour reception of HS and Absurd rewrote the history of GNR once again. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 12:14 PM, smokingarthur said:

Couldn't agree more. At least My World only has one offender. Absurd actually took time, was in the oven for twenty years, worked on by different iterations of GNR, and then finally officially released when it was deemed good enough for an official release.

It is baffling that the song ever saw the light of day as a "comeback" single. People can say they're glad GNR didn't try too hard all they want. At the end of the day, they should've been trying a lot harder than Absurd.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rovim said:

why? because you don't like it and think it sucks? but I like it. It works for me as is and I'm glad it got released. Is it a masterpiece of a song? no, not imo but it's a fun little rock song, nothing wrong with that.

Pretty much, yeah. It's not really that fun, it has horrendous lyrics, and is poorly produced. It really doesn't have a lot going for it. Again, this is a band that released songs like Locomotive and November Rain. Even Axl released songs like TWAT and Better under the GNR name, if we wish to count latter-day songs that are much more competent. A fun little rocker would be Chinese Democracy from that era. Absurd is something a 12-year old would feel proud of at a public school talent show.

I mean, sure, it is about opinion. But I still think My World is less of an offender when comparing the conception of both songs. Both are terrible anyway.

Edited by Zeppelin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Pretty much, yeah. It's not really that fun, it has horrendous lyrics, and is poorly produced. It really doesn't have a lot going for it. Again, this is a band that released songs like Locomotive and November Rain. Even Axl released songs like TWAT and Better under the GNR name, if we wish to count latter-day songs that are much more competent. A fun little rocker would be Chinese Democracy from that era. Absurd is something a 12-year old would feel proud of at a public school talent show.

I mean, sure, it is about opinion. But I still think My World is less of an offender when comparing the conception of both songs. Both are terrible anyway.

I feel like the Village version of Silkworms with the short intro similar to the first leak and Absurd with Buckethead on lead playing solos would have been far better. Add full lyrics from the live versions of Silkworms and it wouldn't be as bad IMO. I'm sure mixes like this exist somewhere. The drums on the Village RM1 are awesome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, Zeppelin said:

I'm convinced. Thank you for making me aware it's not really that fun of a song. :rolleyes:

you say that is about opinion but it's obvious from your post that you think it's objectively bad. It's not.

17 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I'm convinced. Thank you for making me aware it's not really that fun of a song. :rolleyes:

you say that is about opinion but it's obvious from your post that you think it's objectively bad. It's not.

I think it’s safe to say that releasing “one of the lesser” GNR tracks as a single is a prelude to failure. But maybe in some ways this was expected. Maybe it was a self fulfilling prophecy? 

2 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

I think it’s safe to say that releasing “one of the lesser” GNR tracks as a single is a prelude to failure. But maybe in some ways this was expected. Maybe it was a self fulfilling prophecy? 

I think that no song that Axl was going to release, even if it was one of the "big guns" from the Chinese era was going to set the world on fire. That time has probably passed already. Maybe Axl likes the song and wanted it to be released? thought it was a song that should be heard and it was...so in a way, success.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Eh, I guess. But I would say My World is considered objectively bad. I've never really heard a good thing about it. Silkworms was a running gag on this forum for the longest time, and now people take a liking to a worse version?

I mean, if you like it, then great. It's about as close to a bad GNR song as we're likely to get, though.

• ABSUЯD 1

9 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Eh, I guess. But I would say My World is considered objectively bad. I've never really heard a good thing about it. Silkworms was a running gag on this forum for the longest time, and now people take a liking to a worse version?

I mean, if you like it, then great. It's about as close to a bad GNR song as we're likely to get, though.

I couldn't stand silkworms before slash added his guitar to it so i consider absurd a better version which goes to show you it really is subjective when it comes to music and maybe many other things in life like food for example. Hoenestly, i like all gn'r tunes except my world, to me it's another piece of the big musical picture that is gn'r.

• Like 1