STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

Posted (edited)

With the new rumors of Boyega returning, a bunch of people on Reddit are now saying things like “don’t do it John, they don’t deserve you!!” I’m trying to be excited for this movie, but it really is deflating when literally every little piece of news about it gets lambasted with so much scrutiny. It’s hard to ignore all the haters every step of the way. I’m leaning closer and closer to just skipping this movie altogether.

This sorta thing goes both ways with me, though. I don’t wanna see this Rey movie cause people are already being too negative about it, and conversely, I don’t wanna see the new Deadpool movie cause people are being too positive about it and acting like it’s gonna be the best movie ever just because it might have a bunch of cameos and stuff. I don’t like seeing people get their expectations too high (especially for such superficial reasons). I guess I just don’t like “extremist” culture in general. Or maybe I’m falling out of love with movie culture altogether.

I think from now on I’m just not gonna go to the theaters anymore and just wait the few extra months for the things to come to streaming, so that I can watch things after most of the “hyperbole” has died down.

Edited by rocknroll41

Posted (edited)

I would be happy if they could make a movie that did Boyega and Ridley justice. I really liked their story starts in VII and think they both got royally fucked over by horrid writing by the time IX rolled around. Boyega in particular got fucked over. He did nothing in IX and he had the most interesting background in VII. They did nothing with it. I know it is too late though, the window is closed. Disney fucked up the sequels and "re- dos" never really work. Maybe they could make it like "Logan". Finn and Rey are Jedi pals and they go on a road trip with ghost Mark Hamill riding in the back of the car or something. Their mission can be something small and stupid. 

Then there is the Mandalorian movie which will no- doubt be utterly silly with CGI- Mark Hamills. Fuck it, throw in a CGI Harrison Ford and CGI Carrie Fisher. "Hello Mando, it is us, the SW CGI Avengers, we are here to help you defeat Darth Baby Yoda and whatever the new villain is because Thrawn was a wet blanket in Rosario Dawson's stupid zombie show"! Maybe right when all seems bleakest they can have a resurrected Darth Vader save them. Or bring Palpatine back but he is now a good guy and he helps them defeat the fourth Death Star which is also now a Sith AI! Maybe it shoots massive lightsabers instead of lasers. Hopefully they make the movie as dumb as possible. Hopefully they can cast The Rock as a Jedi and Jason Statham as a Sith. Fuck it. 

I don't think they can make an interesting SW movie at this point. 

Edited by ZoSoRose

19 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I would be happy if they could make a movie that did Boyega and Ridley justice. I really liked their story starts in VII and think they both got royally fucked over by horrid writing by the time IX rolled around. Boyega in particular got fucked over. He did nothing in IX and he had the most interesting background in VII. They did nothing with it. I know it is too late though, the window is closed. Disney fucked up the sequels and "re- dos" never really work. Maybe they could make it like "Logan". Finn and Rey are Jedi pals and they go on a road trip with ghost Mark Hamill riding in the back of the car or something. Their mission can be something small and stupid. 

Then there is the Mandalorian movie which will no- doubt be utterly silly with CGI- Mark Hamills. Fuck it, throw in a CGI Harrison Ford and CGI Carrie Fisher. "Hello Mando, it is us, the SW CGI Avengers, we are here to help you defeat Darth Baby Yoda and whatever the new villain is because Thrawn was a wet blanket in Rosario Dawson's stupid zombie show"! Maybe right when all seems bleakest they can have a resurrected Darth Vader save them. Or bring Palpatine back but he is now a good guy and he helps them defeat the fourth Death Star which is also now a Sith AI! Maybe it shoots massive lightsabers instead of lasers. Hopefully they make the movie as dumb as possible. Hopefully they can cast The Rock as a Jedi and Jason Statham as a Sith. Fuck it. 

I don't think they can make an interesting SW movie at this point. 

Yeah I think most franchises aren’t as “fruitful” as they initially seem. Even marvel is having issues now. Eventually, once these things last too long, it becomes too hard for anyone to find/maintain the balance between fan service and “new stuff.” The problem is that brand recognition tends to do better financially, so these big studios are stuck basically just recycling the same worlds and characters over and over.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m starting to get more excited for that new show The Acolyte. The first few trailers sucked, but the newer trailers are much better:

A lot of the new cast interviews are also helping me to better understand who all these new characters are now, and they seem interesting.

So even tho I’m pretty much done with movie culture in general, I’ll still give this show a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been so indifferent to a new Star Wars show as I am Acolyte. I was excited for it, then I saw the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon scene when I went to see The Phantom Menace. Now after watching three episodes, the show just bores me.

I can’t even bring myself to watch the new show. SW has become so oversaturated, generic, and corporatized (duh, Disney bought it).

I have genuinely thought only 3 seasons (Mando 1 and 2, and Andor) out of 8 live action shows have been great. 37.5% is a terrible metric. Even Obi- Wan should have been a slam dunk and instead had disastrous parts.

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I can’t even bring myself to watch the new show. SW has become so oversaturated, generic, and corporatized (duh, Disney bought it).

I have genuinely thought only 3 seasons (Mando 1 and 2, and Andor) out of 8 live action shows have been great. 37.5% is a terrible metric. Even Obi- Wan should have been a slam dunk and instead had disastrous parts.

Yeah overall the live-action shows haven’t been working. I don’t think Star Wars works in that format.

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah overall the live-action shows haven’t been working. I don’t think Star Wars works in that format.

The problem is the writing, not the format. Disney era SW movies are overall very underwhelming, too. IX is so dumb, it’s offensive lol 

I've enjoyed the new show.

It's been interesting to watch a different take on "the force."

Seems pretty obvious this show is a setup for a series on Darth Plagueis and eventually a series on Palpatine.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, downzy said:

Seems pretty obvious this show is a setup for a series on Darth Plagueis and eventually a series on Palpatine.  

:blink: Last night, I watched the first 2 episodes and didn’t get into it, but if that’s the case I’ll keep with it. I’d like a series on young Palps

Edited by ZoSoRose

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

:blink: Last night, I watched the first 2 episodes and didn’t get into it, but if that’s the case I’ll keep with it. I’d like a series on young Palps

The third episode has some stuff that hints towards Palgueis. Be aware though that it’s also a weird episode, with witches doing off-key chants and kids throwing temper tantrums and stuff.

Edited by rocknroll41

17 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Well, don't hold me to my prognosis.  But considering the timeline (100 years before the OT), and an appearance of a sith, it seems more than likely they're setting this show up to serve as a means to introduce future series.

I'm not sure why people are up in arms about the show.  I think it's an interesting premise and I like how it's attempting to undo so much of the damage done by the prequels with the whole "chosen one" nonsense.  

• Like 1

Interesting to read that the fourth episode of The Acolyte originally included a lightsaber battle between the Wookie and whoever the bad guy is, but that they cut it for budget reasons. 

For me, the episode works better not showing the fight.  There's a real sense of dread and mystery once they show the Jedi wookie has been killed.  It made for an incredible intro for the sith as he floated behind Asha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gibson87 said:

How did y'all feel about the Ahsoka series? I felt it was very slow paced and had trouble getting past the first few episodes

its nothing against the actresses, but the leads are too stoic and dry to carry an entire show. It was too slow for how little happened and it relied way too much on the cartoons. I don’t hate it, but am not going to say it’s a must-watch. 

• Like 1