STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

Mixed feelings about this season finale (and the show as a whole, just like all the other Star Wars shows).

We still don’t know the Sith names of Qimir or creepy guy in the cave, so I actually still think Qimir is Plagueis and they just made his master a Muun to throw fans off.

I guess this also means that the reported Knights of the Old Republic movie from a few years ago is canceled now, since this finale borrows a lot from that story.

Edited by rocknroll41

I’d be surprised if Qimir is Plagueis. Disney doesn’t have a lot of consideration for EU, but I doubt they’d change Plagueis from a Muun to a human. 

Also, I totally called seeing Yoda in the final episode. 

18 hours ago, downzy said:

Pretty decent conclusion to the story.  Sets up a second season well.

All in all I'd give the series an 8 out of 10.  Wasn't perfect, as the show had pacing issues and the flashback scenes didn't land as well as they could have. 

But overall, I enjoyed the show and hope it serves as a launching pad into exploring the origins of the sith (as it relates to the prequels).  The lightsaber battles were some of the best in the entire saga.  

Yeah, definitely wasn't perfect, had some decisions that felt like they were just made to allow stuff to happen even if it doesn't make all that much sense. I still enjoyed it overall though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

We still don’t know the Sith names of Qimir or creepy guy in the cave, so I actually still think Qimir is Plagueis and they just made his master a Muun to throw fans off.

Honestly that'd just be annoying, can't see them doing that going down well at all.

6 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Just found a great fan edit of The Acolyte that turns it into a two-and-a-half hour film.

Once again: Proof that most of these D+ shows should’ve just been movies instead.

or maybe proof that some of those Star Wars tv shows had quality issues like writing, editing, and acting so the problem wasn't the medium if you didn't like some of those.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 2:25 AM, Rovim said:

or maybe proof that some of those Star Wars tv shows had quality issues like writing, editing, and acting so the problem wasn't the medium if you didn't like some of those.

Fair point, but I’ve also seen movie fan edits of both Kenobi and Ahsoka that I thought were far superior to their actual show counterparts. I really do think some of these projects began life as movie ideas and then got stretched out into shows when they were deemed “not good enough for the big screen.” We have solid proof of that being the case for Kenobi, at least.

That said, some of these feelings could also just be personal taste, on my part, as I’ve always been more of a movie guy than a show guy. Furthermore, while I enjoy the movie fan edits more, they still aren’t perfect. Mae in The Acolyte still has an inconsistent personality, Thrawn in Ahsoka is still underwhelming, Kenobi still has bad cinematography, and so on. I suppose “crunching” all these things down into movies and trimming the fat, so to speak, simply mitigates the problems, rather than eliminating them entirely. Some of the faults have nothing to do with medium, as you said.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Fair point, but I’ve also seen movie fan edits of both Kenobi and Ahsoka that I thought were far superior to their actual show counterparts. I really do think some of these projects began life as movie ideas and then got stretched out into shows when they were deemed “not good enough for the big screen.” We have solid proof of that being the case for Kenobi, at least.

That said, some of these feelings could also just be personal taste, on my part, as I’ve always been more of a movie guy than a show guy. Furthermore, while I enjoy the movie fan edits more, they still aren’t perfect. Mae in The Acolyte still has an inconsistent personality, Thrawn in Ahsoka is still underwhelming, Kenobi still has bad cinematography, and so on. I suppose “crunching” all these things down into movies and trimming the fat, so to speak, simply mitigates the problems, rather than eliminating them entirely. Some of the faults have nothing to do with medium, as you said.

it's all story, I'm not personally a movie guy or a tv show guy. if it's good, it's good. if the medium fits, I'm a happy camper. there would be no The Mandalorian and Grogu without those 2 first seasons, surely? everything else you say I kinda agree with. Star Wars opinion are touchy cause it's heavily subjective. personal taste is very narrow for most star wars fans. I find that they seem to really love some elements and really have a distate for others cause the SW universe is diverse, flawed, and with so much potential to be brilliant and it all started from a kind of spinoff from Dune. 

btw, I don't presume to know half as much as you do about star wars. I like the silly basic shit they come up with and also the more serious shit like Andor which I think you underrate btw.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's all story, I'm not personally a movie guy or a tv show guy. if it's good, it's good. if the medium fits, I'm a happy camper. there would be no The Mandalorian and Grogu without those 2 first seasons, surely? everything else you say I kinda agree with. Star Wars opinion are touchy cause it's heavily subjective. personal taste is very narrow for most star wars fans. I find that they seem to really love some elements and really have a distate for others cause the SW universe is diverse, flawed, and with so much potential to be brilliant and it all started from a kind of spinoff from Dune. 

btw, I don't presume to know half as much as you do about star wars. I like the silly basic shit they come up with and also the more serious shit like Andor which I think you underrate btw.

I agree that The Mandalorian and Andor are the only live-action shows we’ve gotten so far that actually work as shows (even if I don’t like Andor as much as everyone else does). I suppose The Book of Boba Fett also works as a show, but that one had lots other problems, regardless of its medium.

Speaking of The Mandalorian and Grogu, they apparently started filming it in secret recently, meaning that for the first time since Rise of Skywalker, a theatrical Star Wars movie is actually being filmed right now.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 2:49 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Whelp I am now caught up and I was wrong. The witch stuff and boring Jedi tuned me out but I’m glad I gave the show another try. Episodes 5 and 6 are great! Really good stuff

Finished the show. Not a catastrophe and I would put it at a 6/10. There is some really stupid shit and lore- deaf stuff in it that is frustrating like the mood- ring lightsaber shit, and there are some dull and dry parts. Bones are decent and it would have made for an interesting 2- hour story in a tighter movie in another dimension. 

I liked duels, the bad guy, and Squid Game Jedi. I liked the idea of the jist of the story. I felt nothing when all those characters died except "this fight is cool!".

Andor remains and will stay the Disney Star Wars standard. Mando 1 and 2 were great, too. The rest is so far very meh. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Finished the show. Not a catastrophe and I would put it at a 6/10. There is some really stupid shit and lore- deaf stuff in it that is frustrating like the mood- ring lightsaber shit, and there are some dull and dry parts. Bones are decent and it would have made for an interesting 2- hour story in a tighter movie in another dimension. 

I liked duels, the bad guy, and Squid Game Jedi. I liked the idea of the jist of the story. I felt nothing when all those characters died except "this fight is cool!".

Andor remains and will stay the Disney Star Wars standard. Mando 1 and 2 were great, too. The rest is so far very meh. 

The “mood ring lightsaber,” as you call it, has actually been canon for awhile now. That clone wars show from 2008 established that when Jedi pick their crystals, they start off white, and then the color “bends” to fit a Jedi’s personality. In the recent videogame Jedi Survivor, you actually see a fallen Jedi “bleed” a crystal into red. The reason it didn’t happen to Anakin in Revenge of the Sith is cause he never took his crystal out of the handle after he turned evil. But in The Acolyte, you can clearly see the crystal become exposed, once the handle is chipped.

• 4 weeks later...

Reports are suggesting Disney is opting not to renew The Acolyte for a second season.

That's a shame as I was looking to see where the story went.

Though, maybe they'll pivot and centre a show on Darth Plagueis and his relationship with Sidious (with some involvement of Qimir).  That would be a more interesting story to tell.

59 minutes ago, downzy said:

Reports are suggesting Disney is opting not to renew The Acolyte for a second season.

That's a shame as I was looking to see where the story went.

Though, maybe they'll pivot and centre a show on Darth Plagueis and his relationship with Sidious (with some involvement of Qimir).  That would be a more interesting story to tell.

It was inevitable. Wouldn’t be surprised if the show vanishes from streaming services any day now too.

38 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

It was inevitable. Wouldn’t be surprised if the show vanishes from streaming services any day now too.

It did well initially in terms of overall viewership.  I honestly thought it would get a second season considering other shows drew a smaller audience but received a renewal for at least an additional season.  I guess the show's cost was ultimately sealed its fate.  $200 for 8 episodes is utterly insane.

I'd also be surprised if they removed it from streaming.  I don't believe they can write it off against taxes if it's already aired. 

Well I don't really see what they've got coming that will keep me interested now. 

Stopped caring about mando after it became fan service the show and am not overly excited about a Rey Skywalker movie either. 

I thought this was them trying to go in a different direction but with it being cancelled I guess it will just be more of the same. 

It might be for the best that the show was cancelled, but it is also probably too late. As I said above, I liked the show more than I thought I would, but it is still very average at best. The best parts were the villain, some of the action scenes, and Squid Game guy. The cool parts were buried in an overlong, relatively dull show. If it didn't have "Star Wars" in the title, I would never have even thought of it. Disney also makes ridiculous decisions that lead to an overabundance of headlines on the internet that bog down the franchise. Like the pop song they commissioned and put in the show, what kind of a lame way was that to try and stay relevant? It does not fit Star Wars at all!

At this point, I don't think they can course correct the series. They messed up their chance with the Sequel Trilogy, and that was their big opportunity to set things right and bring quality to the series. Episode IX was 5 years ago, and they are still flailing in the dark, unsure what to do with the IP. They try to appeal to everyone and instead make a milquetoast product like The Acolyte which ends up getting cancelled after one season. That is extra unacceptable when you factor in the show's cost. 

At its core, Disney is the posterchild for what a "soulless entertainment corporation" can be. Their sole purpose is to generate revenue, even at the cost of art. It isn't surprising, as you have to do that if you are a multi- billion-dollar machine. The house's foundation has started to cave, though. Aside from a few tentpole hits, Marvel movies have started to wane from public consciousness. To stay relevant, they will no doubt "Force Awakens" it for a future Avengers movie and bring back all of the old gang. Not a viable, long- term solution to save the franchise, though. Their live- action remakes are devoid of all passion and creativity. Pixar films are no longer guaranteed to dominate the box office. Disney Plus only just started making a profit. Star Wars has become a creative wasteland (except for Andor!) ... I bet the parks and channels like ESPN

It is disappointing, as many of us thought they were the perfect company to take over in 2012. That is how business goes, you can't stay on top of everything forever. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 9:22 PM, downzy said:

It did well initially in terms of overall viewership.  I honestly thought it would get a second season considering other shows drew a smaller audience but received a renewal for at least an additional season.  I guess the show's cost was ultimately sealed its fate.  $200 for 8 episodes is utterly insane.

I'd also be surprised if they removed it from streaming.  I don't believe they can write it off against taxes if it's already aired. 

While I don't think it'll be removed from streaming, it wouldn't be the first Disney+ original to be removed from the site. But the shows I can think of off the top of my head were sports shows aimed at younger audiences (Mighty Ducks, the John Stamos basketball show).

I think there are enough Star Wars fans who are at least curious about the show and where it fits with the timeline. I think the only Star Wars I haven't watched since Disney took over are Resistance and the shows specifically aimed at smaller children, like the Jedi Adventures or whatever it's called.

I didn't enjoy the show, but I watched every episode (I also did not participate in any review bombing). I would watch a second season, I don't expect I'd like it any more than the first season. I'd rather have a show focusing on Plagueis and even Qimir.

6 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

While I don't think it'll be removed from streaming, it wouldn't be the first Disney+ original to be removed from the site. But the shows I can think of off the top of my head were sports shows aimed at younger audiences (Mighty Ducks, the John Stamos basketball show).

I think there are enough Star Wars fans who are at least curious about the show and where it fits with the timeline. I think the only Star Wars I haven't watched since Disney took over are Resistance and the shows specifically aimed at smaller children, like the Jedi Adventures or whatever it's called.

I didn't enjoy the show, but I watched every episode (I also did not participate in any review bombing). I would watch a second season, I don't expect I'd like it any more than the first season. I'd rather have a show focusing on Plagueis and even Qimir.

The Willow reboot show (from Lucasfilm too, funny enough) was also removed from streaming after not getting renewed for a second season.

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The Willow reboot show (from Lucasfilm too, funny enough) was also removed from streaming after not getting renewed for a second season.

Oh that's true. I never watched that. It didn't interest me because I've never seen the original movie. I hate that Disney is removing their own material. I remember reading at the time they were removing shows, they'd put them on Tubi or something so they could get ad revenue.

Edited by luciusfunk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never thought I’d say this, but the prequels have grown on my quite a bit, and I like them better than the sequels now.

Rogue One and Andor have also grown on me, whereas all the other Disney films/ shows have gotten worse for me over time.

The OT is still just as good as it’s always been.

I still haven't seen the last show, but I plan to soon. I have heard for as dumb as some of it is, there's some great, action-packed moments. I'll have to see, I'm sure it's worth watching, at the very least. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 3:01 PM, Sweersa said:

I still haven't seen the last show, but I plan to soon. I have heard for as dumb as some of it is, there's some great, action-packed moments. I'll have to see, I'm sure it's worth watching, at the very least. 

I didn't care for the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon type fights, but the lightsaber duels were pretty good.

• Like 2