"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's a behavior that becomes acceptable by both sides (the consumer/public and the merchant) so taken by it's own, it seems silly, but given enough time and hilariously ignorant people with the power to complain and be appeased on this level, I think it can be dangerous to freedom of expression and might even reshape the world into being even more dictated by false virtues.

so yes, I find it funny but also serious when you can't use the word "tobacco" to describe the color of a bra. This is our reality now how will it look like in the future? and for the next generation? probably poop brown.

Nyaah, I'll probably be dead in 40 years before it trickles down to seriously Orwellian fascist levels, if it ever does :lol:

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Nyaah, I'll probably be dead in 40 years before it trickles down to seriously Orwellian fascist levels, if it ever does :lol:

lol I guess it really doesn't affect you then. I stand corrected.

I'll just add that it doesn't have to become totally fascist or Orwellian to turn into something that you might not like very much. It has already trickled down to many parts of our society imo, and I think the world has already reached a Huxleyian levels of being drowned in information so it's ripe for too many people to live in it and not care to know enough anymore before demanding shit they don't approve of to change.

They learn everything they want to know about from reading tidbits of information using their smart phones.

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

lol I guess it really doesn't affect you then. I stand corrected.

I'll just add that it doesn't have to become totally fascist or Orwellian to turn into something that you might not like very much. It has already trickled down to many parts of our society imo, and I think the world has already reached a Huxleyian levels of being drowned in information so it's ripe for too many people to live in it and not care to know enough anymore before demanding shit they don't approve of to change.

They learn everything they want to know about from reading tidbits of information using their smart phones.

You’re right, I’m just being silly really, if everyone acted like me we’d be living in a worser world

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't see how it doesn't affect Len considering they have already started removing comedies and films. It surely won't be long before basically every British comedy from the classic era is banned, from Rising Damp to Porridge

I've got Til Death Us Do Part on DVD :lol:  Thats bollocks, they ain't removed shit, what have they removed?  None of the ones I watch and they are arguably the most racist, though I hate using that term because, for example, TDUDP is not racist at all, its satirical...and quite obviously so as well, there's nothing vague about the fact that Alf is supposed to be an idiot, the end of almost every every episode ends up with him being made to look a cunt. 

The objection, or so I read in some Guardian article a while back, is that when you listen, the audiences are sometimes laughing at the wrong thing.  Well surely that makes it all the more valid as a satire, the audience is British society and Alf was supposed to be a reflection of a certain strata of British society, that just makes it amazing satire if you ask me, you're getting onto a sort of genius at that point, to my mind.  So whats left?  A certain cross-section of society that doesn't like to be reminded of uncomfortable truths about itself, in the name of standing up for the black man.  Well if you want to do the black man a service how about this, leave that shit where it is because erasing it, it could be argued, is re-writing that part of history.  You can't decontextualise Alf, remove all the nuance and historical context and look at it through 21st Century lenses, its fucking ridiculous.  I don't like what they're laughing at, what a load of bollocks.

Steptoe is the same, Rising Damp is the same (again, Leonard Rossiter is consistently made to look foolish by the black tenant), Porridge, what, Fletch' and his occasional witticisms about the black Scotish inmate, Fletch' is cheeky, he takes the mickey out of everyone.  I dunno, its foolish.  Anyone that can't see the satire in TDUDP especially is a fucking fool.  I adore that show and I wish we had something like that today, its basically a forum for political discourse, discomforting political discourse, that living room, with Alf, Else, Tony Booth and Una Stubbs, was them sitting around discussing the shit that was going on and presenting the ridiculousness of opposing political views both left and right, through the lens of this working class family, it would be brilliant if we could have something like that today.  I don't understand how anti-racism leftist type folk could have any problem with it, its a pretty left-leaning anti-racist show. 

Edited by Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I've got Til Death Us Do Part on DVD :lol:  Thats bollocks, they ain't removed shit, what have they removed?  None of the ones I watch and they are arguably the most racist, though I hate using that term because, for example, TDUDP is not racist at all, its satirical...and quite obviously so as well, there's nothing vague about the fact that Alf is supposed to be an idiot, the end of almost every every episode ends up with him being made to look a cunt. 

The objection, or so I read in some Guardian article a while back, is that when you listen, the audiences are sometimes laughing at the wrong thing.  Well surely that makes it all the more valid as a satire, the audience is British society and Alf was supposed to be a reflection of a certain strata of British society, that just makes it amazing satire if you ask me, you're getting onto a sort of genius at that point, to my mind.  So whats left?  A certain cross-section of society that doesn't like to be reminded of uncomfortable truths about itself, in the name of standing up for the black man.  Well if you want to do the black man a service how about this, leave that shit where it is because erasing it, it could be argued, is re-writing that part of history.  You can't decontextualise Alf, remove all the nuance and historical context and look at it through 21st Century lenses, its fucking ridiculous.  I don't like what they're laughing at, what a load of bollocks.

Steptoe is the same, Rising Damp is the same (again, Leonard Rossiter is consistently made to look foolish by the black tenant), Porridge, what, Fletch' and his occasional witticisms about the black Scotish inmate, Fletch' is cheeky, he takes the mickey out of everyone.  I dunno, its foolish.  Anyone that can't see the satire in TDUDP especially is a fucking fool.  I adore that show and I wish we had something like that today, its basically a forum for political discourse, discomforting political discourse, that living room, with Alf, Else, Tony Booth and Una Stubbs, was them sitting around discussing the shit that was going on and presenting the ridiculousness of opposing political views both left and right, through the lens of this working class family, it would be brilliant if we could have something like that today.  I don't understand how anti-racism leftist type folk could have any problem with it, its a pretty left-leaning anti-racist show. 

You are correct in what you say but are blissfully unaware that the woke brigade unfortunately have no sense of humour so constantly misread the comedy. The scene in Fawlty Towers with the major sprouting out racist stuff was cut from future broadcasts; the Wokists didn't seem to realise (or didn't care) that the satire is against the Major, a particular form of ''grandad'' racism that used to exist. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are correct in what you say but are blissfully unaware that the woke brigade unfortunately have no sense of humour so constantly misread the comedy. The scene in Fawlty Towers with the major sprouting out racist stuff was cut from future broadcasts; the Wokists didn't seem to realise (or didn't care) that the satire is against the Major, a particular form of ''grandad'' racism that used to exist. 

Well I think it's fucking madness.  Agreeing a thing is of value, even agreeing with its point, understanding its essentially making the same point as you...but get rid of it anyway because you don't like the way its being made.  The sad thing is it might help bring some people on your side that weren't on your side...but the preoccupation is 'some people won't get it', well, to quote Warren Mitchell, you can't help it if people are idiots, can you? :lol:  Why not ban Othello because you feel it portrays blacks as easily manipulated fools, or ban The Duchess of Malfi because you feel it might be misinterpeted as a call to violence against women?

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just add a little bit here: It is the broadcaster UKTV who has decided to not air that particular episode. It is not like you can't see it elsewhere or buy the DVDs. It is not the owner of the series who have decided to destroy all copies of it. Just look at this as self-censorship. 

It is a heated time and companies fear the consequences so they act a bit cowardly. This will pass. And if enough good stuff is removed from major broadcasters because they are cowards, alternative services will open up where such things are available, just like we already have different channels to view different content like adult movies, very edgy stand-up, gore movies, etc.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Somebodies got to stand up for these large businesses! All they wanna do is contribute to a culture of wonton consumersim which distracts the masses from real issues, contribute to the ecocide that is industrial production, and take your money. They need randoms to defend them from other randoms. Everyone - sqauwer your feeds for examples!! :lol:

Its the perfectly symmetrical mirroring of cancel culture, in fact.

They better start editing some of the scenes in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air because they were often ripping on white people. I remember one episode where Will's aunt comes home with a white guy and everyone was offended and didn't accept him into the family because he was white.

Janice Smith | The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air | Fandom

Guess Who's Coming to Marry? | The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air | Fandom

Edited by EvanG

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

He's just a cultural oppertunist that realised there is currency in attacking certain members of society and extolling the virtues of certain rapidly fading cultural mores and ways of thinking.  The thing about fading cultural mores and methods of thought is that, whilst they're fading, in those few transitional decades, there are still a lot of people who believe in them...and a savvy marketer can highlight that and make some money out of it.  Thats all it is, he's on an earner.  The guys a fuckin' university poindexter in a cheap suit banging on about masculinity as if he carries a tin lunchbox and works in a metal foundry.

Banging on about masculinity in a high pitched voice and the cutest figures of speech ever! But he did manage to inoculate public discourse wth some truly bizarre and incorrect notions, like that of the conspiracy of postmodern marxists (sic) :lol:

I was really looking froward to a collaborative book that critiques his 'thoughts' called Myth and Mayhem. It was released in April but Ive yet to read it - I think Petersons out of the game and in frail condition. After his breakdown he was treated by Drs with a drug that he became dependent on (benzodiazepine iirc). Sounded like hell when he discussed it with his daughter. I was looking forward to the book dunking on him and thought Id have a laugh. Now I feel more like 'I wish him all the best.... unless he starts talking again.' :lol:

'Kindergarten Cop' pulled from Portland theater after complaints it 'romanticizes over-policing'

A Portland theater has canceled an upcoming screening of the Arnold Schwarzenegger comedy "Kindergarten Cop” after people complained the movie sympathizes with law enforcement.

The Northwest Film Center had planned to show the 1990 film shot in Astoria "for its importance in Oregon filmmaking history” as part of its summer drive-in series at Zidell Yards, but it was called off after Portland author Lois Leveen fired off a series of angry tweets saying the depiction of police in school perpetuates systemic racism, The Willamette Week first reported.

"There’s nothing entertaining about the presence of police in schools, which feeds the ‘school-to-prison’ pipeline in which African American, Latinx, and other kids of color are criminalized rather than educated,” Ms. Leveen wrote.

"Criminalizing of children increases dramatically when cops work in schools,” she argued. "Yes, KINDERGARTEN COP is only a movie. So are BIRTH OF A NATION and GONE WITH THE WIND, but we recognize films like those are not ‘good family fun.’ They are relics of how pop culture feeds racist assumptions. KINDERGARTEN COP romanticizes over-policing in the U.S.”

The Northwest Film Center responded to Ms. Leveen’s tweets, writing that it would instead show a second screening of "John Lewis: Good Trouble” in honor of late congressman, after the first screening scheduled for Aug. 7 sold out.

"Thank you for your feedback,” the film center replied to Ms. Leveen. "Due to overwhelming demand, the Northwest Film Center has added a second showing of John Lewis: Good Trouble to the Cinema Unbound Drive-In at Zidell Yards, with tickets on sale now at http://nwfilm.org.”

"The additional showing on August 6 replaces Kindergarten Cop, which had been chosen for its importance in Oregon filmmaking history,” the film center added. "After discussion with staff and community members, however, we agreed that at this moment in history, John Lewis: Good Trouble is the right film to open this year’s Drive-In series.”

Ms. Leveen appeared to reject the film center’s gesture, responding, "I think what you meant to type was ‘Yes, we made a grave error in not realizing the implicit racism in that programming decision. We apologize and are rethinking who makes our programming decisions hereafter.’ How deep a white normativity hole will @nwfilmcenter keep digging?”

The decision comes amid ongoing political unrest in Portland, where riots have continued for more than two months following the police-involved death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/aug/4/kindergarten-cop-pulled-from-portland-theater-afte/

:wacko:

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

'Kindergarten Cop' pulled from Portland theater after complaints it 'romanticizes over-policing'

A Portland theater has canceled an upcoming screening of the Arnold Schwarzenegger comedy "Kindergarten Cop” after people complained the movie sympathizes with law enforcement.

The Northwest Film Center had planned to show the 1990 film shot in Astoria "for its importance in Oregon filmmaking history” as part of its summer drive-in series at Zidell Yards, but it was called off after Portland author Lois Leveen fired off a series of angry tweets saying the depiction of police in school perpetuates systemic racism, The Willamette Week first reported.

"There’s nothing entertaining about the presence of police in schools, which feeds the ‘school-to-prison’ pipeline in which African American, Latinx, and other kids of color are criminalized rather than educated,” Ms. Leveen wrote.

"Criminalizing of children increases dramatically when cops work in schools,” she argued. "Yes, KINDERGARTEN COP is only a movie. So are BIRTH OF A NATION and GONE WITH THE WIND, but we recognize films like those are not ‘good family fun.’ They are relics of how pop culture feeds racist assumptions. KINDERGARTEN COP romanticizes over-policing in the U.S.”

The Northwest Film Center responded to Ms. Leveen’s tweets, writing that it would instead show a second screening of "John Lewis: Good Trouble” in honor of late congressman, after the first screening scheduled for Aug. 7 sold out.

"Thank you for your feedback,” the film center replied to Ms. Leveen. "Due to overwhelming demand, the Northwest Film Center has added a second showing of John Lewis: Good Trouble to the Cinema Unbound Drive-In at Zidell Yards, with tickets on sale now at http://nwfilm.org.”

"The additional showing on August 6 replaces Kindergarten Cop, which had been chosen for its importance in Oregon filmmaking history,” the film center added. "After discussion with staff and community members, however, we agreed that at this moment in history, John Lewis: Good Trouble is the right film to open this year’s Drive-In series.”

Ms. Leveen appeared to reject the film center’s gesture, responding, "I think what you meant to type was ‘Yes, we made a grave error in not realizing the implicit racism in that programming decision. We apologize and are rethinking who makes our programming decisions hereafter.’ How deep a white normativity hole will @nwfilmcenter keep digging?”

The decision comes amid ongoing political unrest in Portland, where riots have continued for more than two months following the police-involved death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/aug/4/kindergarten-cop-pulled-from-portland-theater-afte/

:wacko:

I’m not usually in favour of police brutality but I could be persuaded to make an exception in this case. :lol: 

• Haha 1

I have an ENTIRE library of political incorrect / racist / sexist action and comedy movies. I feel privileged to own this piece of "the old culture". No netflix in my house. We only watch movies up until the year 2000 or so, before the political correct movement. I want my son to be a man, not a goddamn pussy

5 minutes ago, action said:

I have an ENTIRE library of political incorrect / racist / sexist action and comedy movies. I feel privileged to own this piece of "the old culture". No netflix in my house. We only watch movies up until the year 2000 or so, before the political correct movement. I want my son to be a man, not a goddamn pussy

I just hope nobody breaks in and discovers my Eddie Murphy standup collection. :lol: 

I was recently exiled from social media because sjw went off the edge when they started lurking through my old spotify Playlist.. i mean i get it GnR, NiN, STP all have some pretty fucked up lyrics if you stop & read them... i just like my music loud af.. now all my old friends from HS think I’m a sexist, anti gay womanizer, demented piece of shit. I might be a piece of shit though. 

Also George carlin is the comedy goat & people think i hate everything because hes my fav