The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

On 7/18/2024 at 10:24 PM, jamillos said:

Hi guys. 2 cents from a total outsider here.

A few days back I thought, they'll withdraw him, and they'll blame it on physical problems, on health.

The next day, bam, he says in an interview the only reason for which he'd resign would be his health. 

The day after, bam, the headlines say Biden has covid. 

So that's basically how it's gonna go down. Mark my words. 

Bam!

• Like 1

Biden out. Kamala's running. Better.

• Best case scenario (unlikely): Kamala/Michelle
  • Most probable scenarios: Kamala/Pete, Kamala/Shapiro or Kamala/Gavin
  • Worst idea ever: Kamala/Hillary
Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 1

It was inevitable. 

There was no path for Joe to win. It likely was never there, to be honest.

Anyone saying they know how this election will play out is kidding themselves. There’s so much time between now and the election. In early October 2016 it looked like Clinton was a lock. Lots can happen.

While it would have been better had Joe dropped his re-election campaign a year ago, it was still the right call. It completely resets the race and the news cycle. Now Republicans are running the candidate that many feel is too old. It’s almost certainly going to be Harris at the top of the ticket. Should be fun to watch Trump square off in a debate with a former prosecutor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rindmelon said:

On a serious note I assume Gavin newsom will push for it, would be interesting if Bernie Sanders does

Can’t see it. Anybody with a sense of ambition will sit this one out and wait for 2028. 
Newsom, Whitmer et al will let Harris take the loss and hope they can take a run at it in four years. 
Right move by Joe but 6 months too late. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

On a serious note I assume Gavin newsom will push for it, would be interesting if Bernie Sanders does

He can't. You can't have two candidates from the same state (CA)  That is what I read anyways....

Edited by marlingrl03
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

He can't. You can't have two candidates from the same state (CA)  That is what I read anyways....

I think he means Gavin will try for President not VP. But it's true that the Pres and VP cannot be from the same state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s going to be Harris.

Most of the party has already endorsed her, including some big name Governors.

No guarantee she’s going to win, but there’s a great way Dems can frame this election. Youth versus old; prosecutor vs felon.

Think of all the money MAGA merch vendors are about to swallow now that Biden is out. That alone makes me smile. 

• Like 2

I wonder if this plan woulda changed had Trump not turned his head at just the right moment in PA last weekend…

Assuming Biden still woulda dropped out regardless, I bet we would now be living in a world where the nominees woulda been Kamala Harris and Nikki Haley.

I remember a few months ago when people were saying “Biden will die before the election, and Trump will drop out due to all his legal issues.” We almost had the exact opposite…

Will this hurt, or help the left? 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Can’t see it. Anybody with a sense of ambition will sit this one out and wait for 2028. 
Newsom, Whitmer et al will let Harris take the loss and hope they can take a run at it in four years. 
Right move by Joe but 6 months too late. 

I've lived in Michigan all my life. I'd vote for Satan over Whitmer. She enacted some unreasonably tough covid restrictions in our state, even people in NY mentioned hearing about how nuts it was. I was deemed "essential" due to my job in supporting critical infrastructure, and had papers and everything to drive around with in case I was stopped by the Gestapo and asked to produce them. In her defense (I guess) no one had any idea how serious it was at the time, so maybe she was just overdoing it,  but many businesses went under and never came back because of that.  Was it worth it? I don't think it's even possible to measure. Had to drive to Indiana for a haircut.  Their rules didn't apply to them though, ask her husband. :P At the very least, they should have abided by the restrictions they forced upon the people. 

There's a few additional things I'm aware of about her, heard from first hand sources, however, out of respect and her privacy, can't share it on an open forum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Will this hurt, or help the left? 

I've lived in Michigan all my life. I'd vote for Satan over Whitmer. She enacted some unreasonably tough covid restrictions in our state, even people in NY mentioned hearing about how nuts it was. I was deemed "essential" due to my job in supporting critical infrastructure, and had papers and everything to drive around with in case I was stopped by the Gestapo and asked to produce them. In her defense (I guess) no one had any idea how serious it was at the time, so maybe she was just overdoing it,  but many businesses went under and never came back because of that.  Was it worth it? I don't think it's even possible to measure. Had to drive to Indiana for a haircut.  Their rules didn't apply to them though, ask her husband. :P At the very least, they should have abided by the restrictions they forced upon the people. 

There's a few additional things I'm aware of about her, heard from first hand sources, however, out of respect and her privacy, can't share it on an open forum. 

I’ve lived in Michigan my entire life. No complaints. I’d vote for her in a heartbeat. Got through Covid just fine

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’ve lived in Michigan my entire life. No complaints. I’d vote for her in a heartbeat. Got through Covid just fine

Maybe Guns would have toured Michigan in 2023 if it wasn't for her. (Just kidding) :P

“This constant lying is not aimed at making the people believe a lie, but at ensuring that no one believes anything anymore."

~ Hannah Arendt, Origins Of Totalitarianism

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, downzy said:

It was inevitable. 

There was no path for Joe to win. It likely was never there, to be honest.

Anyone saying they know how this election will play out is kidding themselves. There’s so much time between now and the election. In early October 2016 it looked like Clinton was a lock. Lots can happen.

While it would have been better had Joe dropped his re-election campaign a year ago, it was still the right call. It completely resets the race and the news cycle. Now Republicans are running the candidate that many feel is too old. It’s almost certainly going to be Harris at the top of the ticket. Should be fun to watch Trump square off in a debate with a former prosecutor. 

How could he not win? He had the most votes last time in any presidential race in history. He’s extremely popular and can stand on his merits

Because the guy who won 4 years ago and the guy who just pulled out are no longer the same guy. Either visually or it appears mentally, & even if he is the perception of a large section of the public indicates they seem to think otherwise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ratam said:

From human point of view i feel sorry about Biden. 😞

I get that, but I’m sure that it’s not just the best decision for the party but also for him personally. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

I get that, but I’m sure that it’s not just the best decision for the party but also for him personally. 

Yes, it is the reaso i said "from human point of view". I get it you said.

• Like 2

I like Roy Cooper for VP. He's term limited as Gov so you aren't giving up any seats.

Very likeable/affable guy, has done a admirable job of holding back some of the most backwards Republicans in the country.