[NEW ALBUM DISCUSSION THREAD] Gibson Launches Record Label, to Release Slash Album Next Year

Ralphelmo

Early opinion is that the ideas in this are much better than what we got from LTD but the mix just kills it.

I'm just imaging how amazing the riff in Fall Back to Earth would sound with WOF production values, or even the tone that Slash had from the Sydney 2012 show.

• Like 1

Probably his weakest album yet. Fill My World is probably the only song I'll keep on my Slash playlist. Actions Speak Louder Than Words is a nice bluesy Snakepit like song, but the solo was weak. All of them were, really. And yeah, the mix sucked. The sitar in Spirt Love sounded like it was recorded inside a box. With two stinkers from GNR and a stinker SMKC album, I'm sadly very disappointed.

4 hours ago, kozydogg said:

Really puts into perspective Axl's songs; most notably, the latest releases of Absurd and HS.  They're honestly just much more interesting in my opinion.  After listening to SLASH, I had to cleanse my pallet by giving Absurd and HS a listen.  Yes, Slash can come up with some cool riffs.  But riffs alone are NOT SONGS.  Each of these songs is sooo formulaic it's nauseating.  At least with GNR we get something different and interesting...whether or not you like it is a different story.  I for one prefer it over this boring, generic rock.  

I mean, if you're going to go down the generic or formulaic rock avenue, at least have some balls and sleaze!  Totally lacking in Slash's band.

Meh. This band has done some great work. Bent to Fly is awesome, for example. And I've been hooked on We Will Roam lately. The issue here is probably that it wasn't really planned out enough... Slash said in an interview earlier that his solos were almost all improvised. I dig what they were trying to do but I think it's my least favorite of their albums so far as of now. 

Final track is pretty awesome, though. 

They have their formula and (for better or worse) they stick to it. It’s the weakest release yet IMO. Spirit Love quite cool (can imagine Rod Jackson singing it) but the rest average at best. Silver lining is it’s finished and the band can get out on the road, make some coin and have some fun. Doubt Axl would’ve wanted any of this material TBH

still need to listen to it more to digest it, but so far my initial impression is that this is a cool SMKC album, but feels a little undercooked. I admire what Slash was going for here, it makes total sense when you consider his musical approach so maybe next time the band will find a balance between just going for it but also giving it enough time and thought to be more in line with the quality I come to expect from Slash like better solos and mix.

it's also a varied record for them so maybe a short album wasn't really the best idea? I know Slash said the next album is already completed (10 more tunes iirc)

after listening to the full release a couple of times, I kinda get why they've released the 3 tunes as singles but this album got a lot of interesting musical concepts.

I like how LTD, WOF, AL, and 4 all have their own vibe but it's still the same kind of sound. More Snakepit vibes this time around. Some of the riffs are pretty mean which is cool.

too bad about the sound of the record but the studio 60 performance just reminded me that this is mostly a live band and that is what they do best. Maybe expected a bit more, but it's good to have fresh Slash music to listen to.

Edited by Rovim

I liked the sound on the Live Studio 60 show so much better than the record. The album just sounds too compressed or something. I guess some of that is personal preference though.

After I watched the Studio 60 show I checked out the Eddie Trunk show. They performed 4 songs which were okay, but I really enjoyed getting to hear all of the guys talking and answering questions, like a band. It really made me feel bad that GN'R doesn't do these type of interviews and discuss music like every other band in the world does.

Overall, to me, the album has some good songs, but it is far from my favourite album from them. Now I wish my signed cd and vinyl boxsets would get here 😆

Edited by Tourettes2400

Gave the album a spin. The three advanced tracks have grown on me (yes, even the one that’s just SCOM on quaaludes).

The other new songs all made a good first impression on me except for Actions Speak Louder Than Words. Good guitar solo on that one, though. What effect is Slash using there?

I thought I was gonna hate April Fool cause the title is so silly, but that one might actually be my favorite, funny enough.

This is definitely better than LTD, but probably not as good as the first two. That’s how I feel right now, at least.

EDIT: oh yeah, the closing track is also shit. Almost forgot to mention that one.

Edited by rocknroll41

I reckon The River Is Rising is the least good song. Really loving this album

Fall Back To Earth an epic favourite so far. Whatever Gets You By and Fill My World another 2 standouts but I like them all.

It's a piece of piss to record 10 songs and release an album. No Covid excuses here

• Like 2

a day in thoughts:

fall back to earth musically is beautiful but there's something music

April fool is a terrible song name but might be my favorite on the album 

Fill my world is also a favorite

c'est la vie has massive potential. that riff is so catchy its been in my head for the last 2 days now but man the lyrics and singing are just meh. 

I like myles, but dang he looks bored, especially in the studios 60 live version. Wonder if this is more of an obligation then fun project at this point for him. The band sounds great tho. just wish there were some better solos. Woulda been fine if they recorded the album live and then slash touched up the solos after and worked through them to put the icing on the cake.

and man is the mix bad. ill probably listen to the studios 60 versions more than any album version at this point

• Like 1

I got to say I didn't expect the subject matter of Whatever Gets You By to be about that, I thought it was about a serial killer or something similar, lol.

Also I don't know what your guys problem with April Fool is, clever lyrics about having revenge, imo. Seeing how much Axl loves April Fools (and even the first reunion show being on April 1st) I think Axl wishes he wrote that one, if he wasn't creatively spent.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

5 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

I liked the sound on the Live Studio 60 show so much better than the record. The album just sounds too compressed or something. I guess some of that is personal preference though.

After I watched the Studio 60 show I checked out the Eddie Trunk show. They performed 4 songs which were okay, but I really enjoyed getting to hear all of the guys talking and answering questions, like a band. It really made me feel bad that GN'R doesn't do these type of interviews and discuss music like every other band in the world does.

Overall, to me, the album has some good songs, but it is far from my favourite album from them. Now I wish my signed cd and vinyl boxsets would get here 😆

What songs did they play? Anywhere we can hear them?

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Gave the album a spin. The three advanced tracks have grown on me (yes, even the one that’s just SCOM on quaaludes).

The other new songs all made a good first impression on me except for Actions Speak Louder Than Words. Good guitar solo on that one, though. What effect is Slash using there?

I thought I was gonna hate April Fool cause the title is so silly, but that one might actually be my favorite, funny enough.

This is definitely better than LTD, but probably not as good as the first two. That’s how I feel right now, at least.

EDIT: oh yeah, the closing track is also shit. Almost forgot to mention that one.

He's using a phaser (probably MXR Phase 90).

• Thanks 1

Going to be honest - really not digging this album. The weakest one so far. Fill My World is the only track I can see myself going back to regularly as it's quite a standout. Otherwise, I was bored by pretty much everything else. Similar feelings I had towards Living The Dream. I absolutely love World On Fire and still listen to it regularly, but none of the other SMKC albums have stuck with me.