[NEW ALBUM DISCUSSION THREAD] Gibson Launches Record Label, to Release Slash Album Next Year

Ralphelmo

30 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Okay, count them (8) and now find a Slash album that has LESS than 8 songs you like, because then you can rank it higher. Last/second-last place is the best it can do for me, looking at all albums.

I think AL has less then 8 tracks that I really like but is it always about the amount of good songs on a record? Maybe I prefer a record with 3 great tracks to a record with 9 good ones...

That beeing said I definitely rank Slash higher than AL...

I think for me it's really this...

5 o'clock > Ain't Life Grand > Slash, WOF, LTD, 4 > AL

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think AL has less then 8 tracks that I really like but is it always about the amount of good songs on a record? Maybe I prefer a record with 3 great tracks to a record with 9 good ones...

That beeing said I definitely rank Slash higher than AL...

I think for me it's really this...

5 o'clock > Ain't Life Grand > Slash, WOF, LTD, 4 > AL

Definition of an album: a collection of songs. That's what you are ranking here. If you prefer one that you think only has 3 great songs that doesn't mean you like the album, that means liking those 3 songs. Ranking the overall work higher because you like 3 songs would make the entire list nonsensical to me, because what are you going by at that point? There has to be objectivity there, like Starlight is not a song I like, but I can tell that it's objectively a good song, that's the method one should rank them. A list of favourites, that would be a different thing entirely, I think you're mixing that up.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

13 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea that’s why I don’t rate WOF high. To me it lacks a standout track

Standout tracks of WOF for me: Wicked Stone, Beneath The Savage Sun, Battleground and Unholy. The record is studded with good songs but... I don't know... I think I prefer the guitar solos and the style of LTD but because there are less good ones its tied.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Definition of an album: a collection of songs. That's what you are ranking here. If you prefer one that you think only has 3 great songs that doesn't mean you like the album, that means liking those 3 songs. Ranking the overall work higher because you like 3 songs would make the entire list nonsensical to me, because what are you going by at that point? There has to be objectivity there, like Starlight is not a song I like, but I can tell that it's objectively a good song.

Starlight :lol: another good one.

I get what you are saying but I don't know if I agree...

Btw, Cuban Skies would be proud of me today by all these lists :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Starlight :lol: another good one.

I get what you are saying but I don't know if I agree...

Well if you want to rank a collection of songs (albums), you should rank it by the amount of good songs. What other method would make sense? If you think 3 tracks are godly and the rest is shit, that means that collection of songs (again, album) is rather bad, and you can't rank that higher than an album that has 9 good tracks. That doesn't mean you like the 9 songs more, but as an album that is the better one.

7 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I don't think he'd like this thread as he's an Axl nutswinger not a Slash fan lmao.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Standout tracks of WOF for me: Wicked Stone, Beneath The Savage Sun, Battleground and Unholy. The record is studded with good songs but... I don't know... I think I prefer the guitar solos and the style of LTD but because there are less good ones its tied.

Not a standout for me but I do think Wicked Stone is one of their better songs.

as for LTD-Between the lines and Lost inside the girl are standouts. The rest of that album not so much. But those 2 songs are enough for me to rank it ahead of 4 & WOF

• Like 1

A bit late but, anyhow

That Live at 60 Studios concert was so good that I ended up going to Target on Froday to pick up an extra copy of 4 while I wait for my deluxe edition which ended up being delayed.

I listened to the album and watched the 60 Studio performance back to back and it has really grown on me - the songs are catchy, unique, different and there are some great hooks and melodies.

Fill My World and Fall Back To Earth are just beautiful all the way through.

River is Rising, Call Off The Dogs and April Fools are great rockers. River is Rising is a great opener and has so much energy. Call off The Dogs sounds much better live than on the record, you can pick up the riffs so easily. April Fools sounds like something out of Snakepit; sleaze south rock with balls.

Whatever Gets You By has such a nasty riff and great drum into. Myles is an acquired taste but I find it in here as a great storytelling device; the melody is pretty eerie here.

C'est La Vie - catchy, great riff, one of the few memorable solos.

Action Speaks Louder Than Words intro riff gives me Locomotive vibes.

Spirit Love - Great experimental tracks, catchy, love the intro and overall vibe reminds of Scorpions - Sailsbof Sharon and Rainbows Gates of Babylon. Definitely a standout track.

Road Less Followed was my least favorite track ypon first hearing it, been there done that sort of thing but its really growing on me. Another nice solo in this one.

Overall, its a pretty strong release, despite the production, the mix has a lot to be desired and the solos could have been done better if Slash took time to write them but the songs are catchy, different, it has good hooks and the songs are there.

I listened to all the albums in order yesterday to hear how things differ between releases

My ranking of Slash albums -

Ain't Life A Grand - Hands down my favorite; Rod Jackson was a beast
Living The Dream - The most well rounded release; I can listen without skipping a song
Apocalyptic Love
4 - With WOF production and well constructed solos I feel like this could have been higher
World in Fire - I like it and it has the best production but I feel it drags a bit and lacks diversity
Slash - Not bad but I just find myself listening to the others more. Beautiful Dangerous is my go to track
Its Five O Clock Somewhere - Can't recall a single song apart from Beggars; should give it a listen

Edited by Chuerta86
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Chuerta86 said:

Its Five O Clock Somewhere - Can't recall a single song apart from Beggars; should give it a listen

Neither Can I, Dime Store Rock, Beggars, Goid To Be Alive, Soma City Ward, Jizz Da Pit, Lower, Doin Fine, Back and Forth... I could list the whole album. Such banger songs...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Neither Can I, Dime Store Rock, Beggars, Goid To Be Alive, Soma City Ward, Jizz Da Pit, Lower, Doin Fine, Back and Forth... I could list the whole album. Such banger songs...

Oh, I meant that I'm usually good at naming songs if I hear them without looking at the case or track listing. It's probably because I have not listened to it as much due to the vocals which I'm not a fan of. I should probably give it a listen again though.

Edited by Chuerta86

9 minutes ago, Chuerta86 said:

Oh, I meant that I'm usually good at naming songs if I hear them without looking at the case or track listing. It's probably because I have not listened to it as much due to the vocals which I'm not a fan of. I should probably give it a listen again though.

At least listen to Back & Forth Again, Good to be alive & Monkey Chow. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Cool, he has my exact ranking that I posted before.:lol: I'd rank ALG higher than 5OClock though, Rod Jacksons voice is simply unbelievable Eric Dover has no chance compared to it, just lightning in a bottle, and the only one who could match Axl in voice and charisma.

this times 100! Wish he'd collaborate with rod Jackson again

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

this times 100! Wish he'd collaborate with rod Jackson again

ALG is still Slashs #1 post GNR work for me. Epic riffs, perfect production and a singer that can hold his own in comparison to Axl. From what I remember from Slashs book, Rod was always high so he was hard to work with, and Slash broke it off. I'd love to see Slash work with him again but I don't see it happening if it hasn't happened by now..my guess is he must have been really hurt by those guys in some way, he barely even mentions Rod in his book, and said the other guys in the band were taking advantage of him.

Sadly the 20th anniversary of the album went by without anything, maybe Slash is not really interested in that era (atleast at this time). There's some unreleased songs left from that album, so the best we can hope for is that one day. They played some live before the album came out. Years ago I was hunting all those live bootlegs down but I don't remember all the titles, they were great though.

This is one I remember and it's even on YT now:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4