[NEW ALBUM DISCUSSION THREAD] Gibson Launches Record Label, to Release Slash Album Next Year

Ralphelmo

I think 4 is standing up to repeated listens quite well. I like that it's only 10 tracks as none of them outstay their welcome and it feels tight. The live feel really gives this album a different vibe than all the others. 

For folks moaning about the production, I think I actually prefer it to the Elvis records. AL, WOF and LTD sounded very polished, but I like this down and dirty approach on 4. I'm no expert on mixing, but it sounds good to my ears.

I also appreciate how some of the riffs deviate from his usual hard rock style, particularly the electric sitar on Spirit Love. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I think 4 is standing up to repeated listens quite well. I like that it's only 10 tracks as none of them outstay their welcome and it feels tight. The live feel really gives this album a different vibe than all the others. 

For folks moaning about the production, I think I actually prefer it to the Elvis records. AL, WOF and LTD sounded very polished, but I like this down and dirty approach on 4. I'm no expert on mixing, but it sounds good to my ears.

I also appreciate how some of the riffs deviate from his usual hard rock style, particularly the electric sitar on Spirit Love. 

The album sounds poor mixed. The sound of the live stream though is awesome. Could have Slash a bit louder but it's not as polished as you said.

• Like 2

After a few more listens over the weekend, the album is growing on me. I've had some hooks stuck in my head when i'm just going about the day. LTD was good, but i freaking hate My Antidote. It really breaks the momentum of the album with such off putting melody and lyrics by Myles.

Edited by Rapidfire

24 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Instrumentally, this is one the most diverse sets of songs Slash has released, lots of the songs really stand out whereas on LTD they kind of blended together for the most part. I like the Egyptian vibe on Spirit World, the grungy riffs on Whatever Gets You By, the talkbox and cool riff on C'est la vie. I still also really like the air raid siren riff on The River Is Rising. Slash clearly brought some cools ideas to the table, but...

Myles is a banal songwriter, both lyrically and melody wise. As much as some hate the song, I still think Fill My World is maybe his best moment with Slash, since he actually wrote a good melody for the chorus, in fact all three of the main vocal melodies in the track are cool. But it's a complete aberration. In particular, it's infuriating to hear him write such a shitty, repetitive song for Fall Back To Earth, which contains some really beautiful Slash melodies.

I'm not one to criticize Axl for not writing new music because I think he suffers from writers block and is too personal a lyricist to write songs when he doesn't have anything to say. But imagine a world in which stuff like C'est la vie, Spirit World, Whatever Gets You By & Fall Back To Earth are GNR tracks (or The One You Loved Is Gone & Great Pretender from LTD). Lots of missed opportunities.

I criticize Myles a lot myself but I really think he didn't do that bad this time. But yeah, I don't like every melody myself. That being said, I get what you're saying about having Slash's better stuff being GNR songs. It's something I tried to imagine since the first Snakepit record. 

Edited by Free Bird

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Nobody told Slash that he isn't capable anymore to let the guitar sing, so he wrote Fall Back To Earth :awesomeface:

This is definitely fulfilling Slash creative juices and he legitimatly seems happy doing this and releasing this music. I was preoccupied that Slash would be content doing solely GnR when the reunion happened but in the 6 year gap he has released great music in both LTD and 4 that is kick ass, unique and daring. This is Slash "Best Of" but with new music in the sense that he is using everything in his arsenal and exploring all the different techniques and styles from before without it being it recycled. 

The more I listen to these songs the more I like them. Some criticized Slash for not experimenting and for the music not having "balls" but I wholeheartedly disagree. April Fool, Whatever Gets You By, River Is Rising and Call Off The Dogs are pretty nasty and tasty rockers. C'est La Vie, Actions Speak Louder Than Words and Fall Back To Earth are pretty out there. He is experimenting just not with synthesizers and electronic elements but with the guitar itself and that's is one thing that fascinates me about his writing - that to this day he keeps coming up with new and unique ways to make the guitar talk. 

I prefer his output with SMKC over the stuff he released with GnR; and GnR is my baby. The solos might not be as memorable but I prefer strong musical composition than good solos with no memorable riffs or hooks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

did anybody buy from newbury comics to get the autographed version?

I got the cd box set from there but it hasn't shipped yet, just wondering if anyone else's has.

It might be an issue with distributors, my signed deluxe edition from the Slash store was delayed as well. 

12 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I'm not one to criticize Axl for not writing new music because I think he suffers from writers block and is too personal a lyricist to write songs when he doesn't have anything to say. But imagine a world in which stuff like C'est la vie, Spirit World, Whatever Gets You By & Fall Back To Earth are GNR tracks

Thank God we have Myles so that we can hear those tracks. I love Axl, but he hasn't had an original idea lyrically that didn't involve getting dumped by someone (Slash/Stephanie/basically everyone outside of team Brazil) in almost 30 years now.

Imagining Slash tracks as GNR tracks posits a world that doesn't exist because Axl is spent as a creative force.

I didn't want to believe that, but that we are now into year 6 of the reunion and they are fussing with 25 year old songs tells me all I need to know about Axl creatively.

If ever he would have had a burst creatively to move forward it would have been when the band re-united when the energy was new and fresh again. It was like being able to boink your first love again after decades apart. Sadly though instead of seizing the day Axl friend-zoned the rest of a willing band to instead sit by himself in the corner with his dick in his hand watching a sex tape from 30 years ago instead of making an updated version when given the chance.

I don't love every song Slash/Myles do, but if I built an album out of all 4 I would be quite pleased with it.

The upside to releasing more than 1 album of new material every 30 years is that you can afford for stinkers and filler as no band hits on everything, but over time the quantity of continued releases fills int he gaps.

Axl essentially quit after what was a meteoric 5 year run, so we don't hold him to the standard everyone else is because they kept releasing music regularly during that period.

I promise if Axl had released 9-10 albums in the past 20 years like Slash or Myles you would find Axl dealing with the same issues of seeming uninspired or spent because with enough material you are bound to start repeating yourself or feeling like it all blends together.

I will always love peak Axl and GNR of that period, but frankly I am not sure Myles/Slash have done anything approaching being as uninspired as having Slash re-record decades old CD material. Frankly I consider it a black mark on Slash's resume that he is even allowing himself to partake in such a creatively bankrupt process, but I know divorce is expensive and that alimony payment he makes every year doesn't pay for itself.

That Axl is satisfied with this being the legacy of a once great band tells us all we need to know about where he is creatively and just how far his standards have fallen that it is in any way acceptable to him.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Naupis said:

Thank God we have Myles so that we can hear those tracks. I love Axl, but he hasn't had an original idea lyrically that didn't involve getting dumped by someone (Slash/Stephanie/basically everyone outside of team Brazil) in almost 30 years now.

What about the bedouins?!?

50 minutes ago, Naupis said:

Imagining Slash tracks as GNR tracks posits a world that doesn't exist because Axl is spent as a creative force.

I didn't want to believe that, but that we are now into year 6 of the reunion and they are fussing with 25 year old songs tells me all I need to know about Axl creatively.

If ever he would have had a burst creatively to move forward it would have been when the band re-united when the energy was new and fresh again. It was like being able to boink your first love again after decades apart. Sadly though instead of seizing the day Axl friend-zoned the rest of a willing band to instead sit by himself in the corner with his dick in his hand watching a sex tape from 30 years ago instead of making an updated version when given the chance.

I don't love every song Slash/Myles do, but if I built an album out of all 4 I would be quite pleased with it.

The upside to releasing more than 1 album of new material every 30 years is that you can afford for stinkers and filler as no band hits on everything, but over time the quantity of continued releases fills int he gaps.

Axl essentially quit after what was a meteoric 5 year run, so we don't hold him to the standard everyone else is because they kept releasing music regularly during that period.

I promise if Axl had released 9-10 albums in the past 20 years like Slash or Myles you would find Axl dealing with the same issues of seeming uninspired or spent because with enough material you are bound to start repeating yourself or feeling like it all blends together.

I will always love peak Axl and GNR of that period, but frankly I am not sure Myles/Slash have done anything approaching being as uninspired as having Slash re-record decades old CD material. Frankly I consider it a black mark on Slash's resume that he is even allowing himself to partake in such a creatively bankrupt process, but I know divorce is expensive and that alimony payment he makes every year doesn't pay for itself.

That Axl is satisfied with this being the legacy of a once great band tells us all we need to know about where he is creatively and just how far his standards have fallen that it is in any way acceptable to him.

Spot on.

I just don't know if Slash is working on these old songs just for the money, or because he hopes to create new music with Axl after the CD stuff is out of the way once and for all.

• Like 1

What they should of done was release the studio 60 audio. Do the tour then go in the studio and recorded it and cashed in twice.

I brought the 24 bit version and its sounds shit! Id rather listen too Studio 60 mp3 version even that could of done with slash being louder apart from thats its pretty good.

Edited by Gibbo
  • Like 4

Still waiting on my signed box set.

I did happen to score a limited Slash 4 Les Paul at retail though! Should be here next week 

5 hours ago, Gibbo said:

What they should of done was release the studio 60 audio. Do the tour then go in the studio and recorded it and cashed in twice.

I brought the 24 bit version and its sounds shit! Id rather listen too Studio 60 mp3 version even that could of done with slash being louder apart from thats its pretty good.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they do end up releasing that as well as a limited run 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DK6 said:

I hate it!

Aw, well I didn't say everyone was positive about it just nice to see more positive reactions. But I respect your opinion :lol: On a sidenote, what's everyone's definite favourite song from the album now? You have to pick one. It's a real battle with C'est la vie and Whatever gets you by for me but I'll go with the latter. Scary to think they have number 5 pretty much wrote now too.

32 minutes ago, skik08 said:

Aw, well I didn't say everyone was positive about it just nice to see more positive reactions. But I respect your opinion :lol: On a sidenote, what's everyone's definite favourite song from the album now? You have to pick one. It's a real battle with C'est la vie and Whatever gets you by for me but I'll go with the latter. Scary to think they have number 5 pretty much wrote now too.

Whatever Gets You By, April Fool and Actions Speak Louder are my 3 top songs. Each one is different enough that I can't pick a favourite. Call Off The Dogs is great too, but I prefer that type of song from previous SMKC albums (Hard & Fast, Sugar Cane).