Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

6 minutes ago, soon said:

This covid transmission was a huge win for animal rights activists who've long fought to abolish mink fur farming in the Netherlands.

It is the only country in the west (the world??) who still allowed mink fur farms. On August 29th the Dutch Govt announced that it was phasing out Mink farming by 2024. It will be illegal thereafter.

Animal Rights activists for the win :headbang:

Weird convoluted logic!

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Kill all the minks in one swift genocidal stroke, rather than kill them (sustainably) in dribs and drabs

I don't believe that they're killing all the minks, just the farmed ones (14 mil).

Im not sure how "sustainability" comes into play in reference to factory farming?

You also seem to be making assumptions. Disease and premature death are common actually common in factory farming.

Again, this helped animal rights activists win a long battle. And the suggestion that people dont want the covid threat contained is a bit rich to start with.

I mean, you do realize that all 14 mil would be murdered for fur, right? Is that the genocide you are referring too?

Edited by soon

I read in the news today,  El Paso hospitals are overrun with covid patients. 

I do hope Biden has a plan that will work to slow this virus down. So many people are still suffering with this and it's not going away anytime soon. 

Dr. Fauci says by 2022 we might be back to normal. Whatever that is?

Just now, soon said:

I don't believe that they're killing all the minks, just the farmed ones (14 mil).

Im not sure how "sustainability" comes into play in reference to factory farming?

You also seem to be making assumptions. Disease and premature death are common actually common in factory farming.

Again, this helped animal rights activists win a long battle. And the suggestion that people dont want the covid threat contained is a bit rich to start with.

Just too sad to think about this. First they were killed so people can wear fur and now this. These poor little animals have suffered too much.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soon said:

I mean, you do realize that all 14 mil would be murdered for fur, right? Is that the genocide you are referring too?

I am not bothered about your smelly old minks!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am not bothered about your smelly old minks!

The only Minx youre bothered about is Pritti!

But killing 14 million factory farmed minx for rich peoples luxury items is not as good as killing 14 million factory minks to protect all people from the virus. Theyd be murdered either way.

So now animal rights will prevail!! :headbang:And after 2024 there will be 0 factory mink murdered. :headbang:

27 minutes ago, soon said:

The only Minx youre bothered about is Pritti!

But killing 14 million factory farmed minx for rich peoples luxury items is not as good as killing 14 million factory minks to protect all people from the virus. Theyd be murdered either way.

So now animal rights will prevail!! :headbang:And after 2024 there will be 0 factory mink murdered. :headbang:

The human race certainly likes to virtue signal on their animal worship, but when it comes to our specie being threatened it is a different story.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The human race certainly likes to virtue signal on their animal worship, but when it comes to our specie being threatened it is a different story.

Moving goal posts, I see. We werent discussing the entire human race, you had raised "animal rights types" for discussion. And they just won.

Also "animal worship" ??????????? :lol:

6 hours ago, soon said:

We were supposed to host the Men's World Curling Championships but our numbers are so out of control - and people are dying - that it will likely be moved to elsewhere in the country :(

Worse yet, it will likely be moved to Alberta, where all of our maga types live... because even those conspiracy theorists are handling the virus better than us :facepalm::anger:

Do they really separate men's and women's curling? It's not a sport you get an advantage in because of strength. 

Im not trying to shit stir here but I think men are for some reason just better at lots of things that require hand eye co ordination, dedication and skill.

Snooker could be equal, darts could, even chess.  Its time to fucking step up ladies.

11 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Do they really separate men's and women's curling? It's not a sport you get an advantage in because of strength. 

World Curling has Mixed, Men's and Women's leagues. I think Tennis Doubles is the same.

I agree with your point, so its sad to say that Mixed Curling was only allowed for the first time at the most recent Olympics. Why it wasnt always allowed is beyond me.

In real life, its how the sport exists. With everyone plays together. Man, Woman, child, elderly, disabled.

In Canada the most popular curler is with out a doubt a female - Rachael Homan.

15 minutes ago, soon said:

In Canada the most popular curler is with out a doubt a female - Rachael Homan.

But who is the best? As in, if your life savings and everything  were on the line and you could pick any curler to play a shot to win. Would you pick Rachael,  or is their another bloke who statistically would probably be a better pick.

51 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

But who is the best? As in, if your life savings and everything  were on the line and you could pick any curler to play a shot to win. Would you pick Rachael,  or is their another bloke who statistically would probably be a better pick.

At the 2018 Games, the first with mixed teams, Canadas Mixed team won gold :headbang:

In the last 6 Games, the Women's Teams and Men's Team have both medaled 5 times each. Men 3 Golds and Women 2 Golds. IN 2018, when our Mixed team took gold, neither Mens nor Womens team medaled.

As for Rachael up against the top ranking male, I don't have those figures.

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I'm pretty handy at curling one out but I assume I can't go to the olympics on this skill?

When I read Spunks' post this was my exact response but I didn't have time to respond. Good to know that you're always on hand to debase yourself on my behalf. :lol: 

15 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Now the minks are going to get us. @SoulMonster, ease my mind with science!

Sorry, can't help you here. The virus obviously goes a bit back and forth between species. It came from pangolins or bats or something, and has been shown to be found in tigers, dogs and cats, and now also minks.  So we have to applaud its skills. A new variant of the virus has been found in Denmark and been shown to have come from farmed minks. So we can minks to the list of animals that can act as reservoirs for covid-19. It doesn't seem like this variant is any more infectious or deadly than the other covid-19 virus strains that we already know of, but one fear is that if it is sufficiently different than the ones we are now developing vaccines against, the vaccine won't work against it. This is analogous to the flu where we have different strains and the seasonal flu vaccine only works against some of them. We mighty get the same situation with covid-19. 

Farmed minks are now being killed off in some European countries so they won't act as reservoirs for covid-19. Hopefully this will be the end of mink farming as an industry.

And good thing that the virus doesn't seem to infect cats and dogs as efficiently as minks, though, cause then we might have had a difficult situation on our hands!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Sorry, can't help you here. The virus obviously goes a bit back and forth between species. It came from pangolins or bats or something, and has been shown to be found in tigers, dogs and cats, and now also minks.  So we have to applaud its skills. A new variant of the virus has been found in Denmark and been shown to have come from farmed minks. So we can minks to the list of animals that can act as reservoirs for covid-19. It doesn't seem like this variant is any more infectious or deadly than the other covid-19 virus strains that we already know of, but one fear is that if it is sufficiently different than the ones we are now developing vaccines against, the vaccine won't work against it. This is analogous to the flu where we have different strains and the seasonal flu vaccine only works against some of them. We mighty get the same situation with covid-19. 

Farmed minks are now being killed off in some European countries so they won't act as reservoirs for covid-19. Hopefully this will be the end of mink farming as an industry.

And good thing that the virus doesn't seem to infect cats and dogs as efficiently as minks, though, cause then we might have had a difficult situation on our hands!

I'd say you did a good job! It seems cluster 5 (the main strain in question) hasn't been reported in a couple of months. This specific mutation might not be apocalyptic, but as you said, it goes to show how deadly this can be. 

Anyways, though-

90% EFFICACY

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

The single biggest piece of good news we have had, yet! This seems unprecedented and is an incredible scientific achievement! They are waiting for some safety results (expected in the third- fourth week of November) and then will most likely have a peer reviewed analysis and submit emergency authorization to the FDA

It is actually happening!

• Like 1

President elect Biden made a speech today bout his plan for slowing down the virus.  He plans to do more testing and make it available to all and trace testing too. He said again "wear a mask". People have to stop the shit about not wearing a mask and he mentions listening to the science. Good for him. And if Pfizer starts making a vaccine then maybe we can all get back some kind of normal in our lives. We need to take care of slowing down this virus to move forward. How many more lives do we need to lose?

El Paso Texas is a mess. Their hospitals are overrun and many patients have to go to other cities for care.  

Many states now are a mess as well as Europe. I hope we can all work together and get this virus under some kind of control.