Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

12 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

So apparently car insurance could be invalid if you drive during lockdown...but you can’t cancel it either :lol: 

11 hours ago, Dazey said:

Where did you see that?

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

If you google it loads of places are running articles, The Express, The Mirror, Cambridge News, Manchester Evening News etc

I can already tell Len is looking at crow barring this into a "mitigating circumstances" defence.

Just now, soon said:

Capitalism man, you should have learned when the system destroyed your fisheries.

(j/k)

The CFP was actually anti-market.

Your weed companies incidentally are jerry built. Lost a tenner today. Tilray or some bollocks?

Everybody rather formed a causal relationship between Biden winning and smoking pot haha. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

The CFP was actually anti-market.

Your weed companies incidentally are jerry built. Lost a tenner today. Tilray or some bollocks?

Everybody rather formed a causal relationship between Biden winning and smoking pot haha. 

I meant the initial over-fishing (which was market driven).

Sucks about your weed investment! All I can say is that any weakness in the market isnt my fault :lol: But some producers have fucked up and cost investors for sure. Seriously though, there's money to be made on our weed. It's my belief that sustainable growth methods and low-waste packaging will become the consumers choice. (So, outdoor grows, hybrid greenhouses, no pesticides, living soil, etc). Keep an eye on sustainable producers who feature "Solventless extracts."

Just keep in mind that Biden has no bearing on our weed. Its all grown and sold here, only.

Biden, who coined the term "drug czar" and Harris who locked up all the pot smokers driving a stock frenzy... now I've seen it all :lol:

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The world markets didn't agree!

Im sure our producers want to sell to the Yanks. But they struggle to even keep us supplied. (legacy markets [aka "black markets"] are still in demand here)

We still cant buy US cigarettes most places here, so....

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Im sure our producers want to sell to the Yanks. But they struggle to even keep us supplied. (legacy markets [aka "black markets"] are still in demand here)

We still cant buy US cigarettes most places here, so....

Yes. Cannabis market seems too volatile for a variety of reasons. 

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes. Cannabis market seems too volatile for a variety of reasons. 

Currently the tools used to consume cannabis are a far surer bet than the cannabis itself. 'Extract vapes' and 'dab rigs' will be selling like hotcakes here for the foreseeable future.

Weed consumers here are buying all the accoutrements. All the products that accompany legal weed. Things like vacuum sealable jars, to keep weed fresh. That might be something to explore for investment in the legal weed market.

(If we continue this conversation I guess we should go to the investment thread?)

NYC seems to have done a great job. Hopefully all that effort isn't squashed from the thousands who were out partying on Saturday after the media declared Biden the winner.

Edit- on the Canadian side of things, much as the rest of the world, I'm worried about how the next few months are going to look. Is there an end in sight? So many bandaid solutions are doing more harm than good.

Edited by Coma16

The news said today the vaccine might be ready by December. The only thing that worries me is that this vaccine has to be kept super cold and we may need a second dose. It seems complicated to me. Maybe another company will make another vaccine that just takes one dose and doesn't have to be kept so damn cold before use. I would be worried it might get messed up while shipping it.

Anyway, I'm still wearing a mask even with a vaccine because you never know who got the vaccine and who didn't. So many dummies that don't wear a mask now to save lives might not get a vaccine either. So sad.

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The news said today the vaccine might be ready by December. The only thing that worries me is that this vaccine has to be kept super cold and we may need a second dose. It seems complicated to me. Maybe another company will make another vaccine that just takes one dose and doesn't have to be kept so damn cold before use. I would be worried it might get messed up while shipping it.

Anyway, I'm still wearing a mask even with a vaccine because you never know who got the vaccine and who didn't. So many dummies that don't wear a mask now to save lives might not get a vaccine either. So sad.

Do you feel the same way about people who don't get an annual flu shot?

3 hours ago, Coma16 said:

NYC seems to have done a great job. Hopefully all that effort isn't squashed from the thousands who were out partying on Saturday after the media declared Biden the winner.

Edit- on the Canadian side of things, much as the rest of the world, I'm worried about how the next few months are going to look. Is there an end in sight? So many bandaid solutions are doing more harm than good.

Yeah, and some neighborhoods having weddings and funerals. I understand their frustration, but you can't be doing large events right now. Some Jewish neighborhoods won't wear masks or distance and they don't get vaccinated at all. I understand your religious beliefs but we have to continue to protect ourselves and others. sometimes religion causes more problems.

Even with a vaccine I'm sure this virus will be here for a long time to come and probably have to get a vaccine every year like the flu one to continue to stay safe.

Just now, Coma16 said:

Do you feel the same way about people who don't get an annual flu shot?

Yeah, if there is a vaccine to keep you from getting the flu, get it. I get a flu shot every year as well as my family and yeah, we've gotten the flu even with the shot, but it's not as bad. I remember getting the flu before a vaccine and I felt terrible. Now with the corona virus, you might not know if you have the flu or the virus, so if there's a shot out there to protect you why not get it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coma16 said:

@downzy So 1.8% chance of getting covid and 0.067% of ending up in the hospital - what is the mortality rate? Thats about 550 people in the hospital. I wonder how long is the stay is on average.

That’s not what those statistics say at all.

1 out of 50 is for a particular point in time. It doesn’t represent the totality of cases, both past and future.

South Dakota currently sits second in the US for cases per a million (just over 65k per million). As of today someone in South Dakota has or had about a twelve percent chance of catching the virus. But that does not speak to the likelihood of catching it in the future (something neither of us can do since it’s safe to assume that neither of us are statisticians).

If I had to wager a guess, barring vaccine, the odds of someone in South Dakota catching the virus (or had it or has it) is likely one in three or one in two.

Perhaps @SoulMonster is better equipped to provide better analysis than our feeble attempts. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, downzy said:

That’s not what those statistics say at all.

1 out of 50 is for a particular point in time. It doesn’t represent the totality of cases, both past and future.

South Dakota currently sits second in the US for cases per a million (just over 65k per million). As of today someone in South Dakota has or had about a twelve percent chance of catching the virus. But that does not speak to the likelihood of catching it in the future (something neither of us can do since it’s safe to assume that neither of us are statisticians).

If I had to wager a guess, barring vaccine, the odds of someone in South Dakota catching the virus (or had it or has it) is likely one in three or one in two.

Perhaps @SoulMonster is better equipped to provide better analysis than our feeble attempts. 

@downzy @Coma16

No, you are right, downzy.

If as many as 1 out of 51 (or whatever it was) has the disease right now, it means that in not too long everybody will have had it (unless something is done). It just takes a few weeks and then another 1 out of 51 will have it, and then a few weeks and yet another 1/51, and so on. Soon everybody will have had it. The chance of getting it is 100 %. And now we are not taking into account everybody who have had it before now. If this continues, in a year or so almost everybody in South Dakota will have been infected. 

But of course this will likely not be the case. It is more complicated than just extrapolating from today's numbers. As more and more people get it, the virus will spread more slowly due to increasing immunity in the population. So if you haven't had it when almost everybody around you have, you will be more protected from getting it. All the immune people around you act as a barrier. You will still get it, eventually, it just takes much longer for the last people to get it because it spreads so much more slowly in the population. And in the real world there will also be restrictions imposed, social distancing, face masks wearing, protection of the immuno-deficient, etc, which will reduce its spread.

Hopefully with these bad numbers the authorities of South Dakota will do what is necessary to curb the epidemic. So it is impossible to say anything about the real likelihood of getting it in the future, since this really depends on what they do to limit further spread and when we get a vaccine; but if unmitigated, then the numbers will be really bad and the majority of people will get it in not that many weeks.

And if we don't get a vaccine, or the vaccine(s) doesn't work that well, the probability of each of us getting the disease is still close to 100 %. Any mitigating efforts we make basically just postpone it. Like the flu and the cold, sooner or later we all get it. What we do is slow down the spread, not eradicate the virus. We basically reduce the probability of getting the virus at any single moment in time, but it isn't reduced to 0 so as more time passes we will eventually get it all. Unless we can reduce the spread so much, through permanent social distancing and semi-effective vaccines, that most of us will live out our lives without getting infected (as is the case with some other virus-borne diseases like AIDS).

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Thanks 1

Texas has over 1 million cases of covid 19 now. A 5 year old in Amarillo died from the virus. Can't imagine.

The covid 19 virus is out of control now. DUH. Nothing new. Over 400,000 deaths are predicated by the new year. We will have to close up the country again or more and more people will get sick and possibly die. El Paso hospitals are out of control. Ohio has a huge rate too.

Most of the US states are in dire straits.  Trump is doing nothing now since he's lost even though he doesn't think so, what a moron.

We have to wear a mask to protect all of us.  Otherwise I doubt this virus will ever stop.

I don't know what the doctors and nurses can do more than they are doing now?

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

@downzy @Coma16

No, you are right, downzy.

If as many as 1 out of 51 (or whatever it was) has the disease right now, it means that in not too long everybody will have had it (unless something is done). It just takes a few weeks and then another 1 out of 51 will have it, and then a few weeks and yet another 1/51, and so on. Soon everybody will have had it. The chance of getting it is 100 %. And now we are not taking into account everybody who have had it before now. If this continues, in a year or so almost everybody in South Dakota will have been infected. 

But of course this will likely not be the case. It is more complicated than just extrapolating from today's numbers. As more and more people get it, the virus will spread more slowly due to increasing immunity in the population. So if you haven't had it when almost everybody around you have, you will be more protected from getting it. All the immune people around you act as a barrier. You will still get it, eventually, it just takes much longer for the last people to get it because it spreads so much more slowly in the population. And in the real world there will also be restrictions imposed, social distancing, face masks wearing, protection of the immuno-deficient, etc, which will reduce its spread.

Hopefully with these bad numbers the authorities of South Dakota will do what is necessary to curb the epidemic. So it is impossible to say anything about the real likelihood of getting it in the future, since this really depends on what they do to limit further spread and when we get a vaccine; but if unmitigated, then the numbers will be really bad and the majority of people will get it in not that many weeks.

And if we don't get a vaccine, or the vaccine(s) doesn't work that well, the probability of each of us getting the disease is still close to 100 %. Any mitigating efforts we make basically just postpone it. Like the flu and the cold, sooner or later we all get it. What we do is slow down the spread, not eradicate the virus. We basically reduce the probability of getting the virus at any single moment in time, but it isn't reduced to 0 so as more time passes we will eventually get it all. Unless we can reduce the spread so much, through permanent social distancing and semi-effective vaccines, that most of us will live out our lives without getting infected (as is the case with some other virus-borne diseases like AIDS).

I agree I think we all will probably get the virus. It's a matter of time and how worse it will be? My parents have pre-existing conditions, so I worry about them. the doctors told Trump back in July if we didn't do more testing and trace testing, the virus would be out of control and now it is. Trump doesn't give a shit now because he's on his way out.  I'm not even sure biden will be able to get a handle on the virus either unless that vaccine is made available.  It's some scary shit.

I think eventually biden will shut the country down again to keep most of us safe. Schools will probably be closed and online again. otherise there won't be any hope.

11 hours ago, Coma16 said:

@downzy So 1.8% chance of getting covid and 0.067% of ending up in the hospital - what is the mortality rate? Thats about 550 people in the hospital. I wonder how long is the stay is on average.

The hospitals in El Paso Texas are having to ship patients to other cities. Their hospitals are full. 

11 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Most people who are put on a ventalator don't make it. That's what scares me the most. Going into a hospital and not coming out.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:25 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, if there is a vaccine to keep you from getting the flu, get it. I get a flu shot every year as well as my family and yeah, we've gotten the flu even with the shot, but it's not as bad. I remember getting the flu before a vaccine and I felt terrible. Now with the corona virus, you might not know if you have the flu or the virus, so if there's a shot out there to protect you why not get it?

Because it's not really needed? I had a flu shot twice in 43 years and never had the flu.

Too bad none of this will have a chance of happening until January, but there needs to be harsh lockdowns WITH social security in place. It is out of control right now. Especially now that we know the Pfizer vaccine candidate's release is imminent  there is zero excuse. Shitty leadership

Kind of crazy that DWB is now prioritizing aid and assistance to the US.

Never thought I’d see the day.

I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for the people of America.  You are the victims of terrible federal (and in some cases state and local) leadership that have utterly failed you.

Stay safe!

I always donate during the year, but yeah, this time of year especially. Many schools here are collecting things for people to have for the holidays and just for everyday use.  I love when schools take donation. I've and my parents always donate to the schools and the toys for tots and other charities. Especially during the corona virus now, many people need so much.  I give a lot to animal charities too. I know even a little helps a lot.

• Like 2