UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

That interview confirms that they had Wembley, Paris, and RIR ready to go also. Wish they had just released the full shows.

The marketing efforts will continue on into the upcoming weeks including a microsite for fans to get into sharing their memories, from getting these albums originally to experiencing the tour and also the reissues.

That sounds cool too.

Hopefully, we will get Rock In Rio, Wembley '91, and Paris '92 released on CD/BD/DVD in the near future. This band loves money, almost as much as KISS, so it's possible. 
I also hope we get a 4K release of Ritz '91 at some point. After the UYI box goes out of print, releasing a 2-disc Blu-Ray and 4K UHD Blu-Ray Ritz '91 package seems logical.

• Like 2

Just now, D.. said:

Sorry I'm confused about one thing: the Ritz 1991 concert is the only one that's included in this boxset in video format?

I was under the impression Las Vegas 1992 was also included in video, not just audio but can't find a teaser.

Las Vegas 92 is only available in Audio format.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockphantom said:

Hopefully, we will get Rock In Rio, Wembley '91, and Paris '92 released on CD/BD/DVD in the near future. This band loves money, almost as much as KISS, so it's possible. 
I also hope we get a 4K release of Ritz '91 at some point. After the UYI box goes out of print, releasing a 2-disc Blu-Ray and 4K UHD Blu-Ray Ritz '91 package seems logical.

I hope so. If they had started looking at footage 13-14 years ago then maybe they've worked on more than what's been released so far. 

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Interview with Jeff Fura from UMG, who oversaw the production of the box set (had done so with the AFD box set, too):

"Axl wanted to record a real orchestra on November Rain": Inside the new Guns N' Roses boxset

https://www.musicweek.com/labels/read/axl-wanted-to-record-a-real-orchestra-on-november-rain-inside-the-new-guns-n-roses-boxset/086990

This New NR beat fuckin Mix 

Just imagine Matt Sorum didn't turned Jeff Becks brain into mashed rice and we would have Locomotive live in Paris. Was this really a thing Locomotive with Jeff Beck?. We would have this track on the Deluxe Edition and already as bootleg / (PPV) TV recording or even on a future Blu Ray.

It's still a huge show with great guest appearance

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

Just imagine Matt Sorum didn't turned Jeff Becks brain into mashed rice and we would have Locomotive live in Paris. Was this really a thing Locomotive with Jeff Beck?. We would have this track on the Deluxe Edition and already as bootleg / (PPV) TV recording or even on a future Blu Ray.

It's still a huge show with great guest appearance

Have you seen they reharsing it on YouTube, with Jeff?

3 hours ago, UncleJosh said:

No one said only 35mm qualifies.  The question was whether Tokyo was shot on film and if so we could have something like the Ritz 91 in 4K. That is not possible as it was shot on video with television broadcast cameras. They might be able to upscale it but that often looks like crap and artificial unless a LOT of money and time is put into it.

While all of us would LOVE to have any videos put out, from  the record companies perspective, they want to put out the best quality version. Look at all the praise the Ritz has gotten.  I guarantee if they had put out even a cleaned up version of Saskatoon, most of the feedback would be negative and complaining how it doesn't look official quality. Which it wouldn't since it was not recorded with the intent of releasing it officially.  And by officially I mean full retail with record company support like this box set.

Now they could do something like work with Nugs to upload some of these shows that are in lesser quality for sale or even throw them on their YT channel like Metallica does. But we all know they won't.

I can't believe the "film" thing became an argument. :lol:

If they ever decide to release more old shows or box sets, something like this would be ideal:

Cathouse 1989 and/or Giants Stadium 1988 blu ray, and a few other AFD shows on DVD.

Pantages Theatre 1991 blu ray, and a few UYI shows on DVD.

London 2012 blu ray, and a few other CD shows on DVD.

As far as we know, they don't have that many shows that could actually be released as high-quality blu rays like the Ritz show, but if they released box sets full of DVD's and CD's with full shows from the old era's, fans would lose their minds.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

They should put the high quality films out on individual blu-rays/ 4ks and put the vhs quality shows up online like Metallica did.

Metallica does it right. I am kind of laid up right now and have had live Metallica playing on my TV for hours on youtube.  They give so much to their fans and are still a phenomenal live band. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Cathouse 1989 and/or Giants Stadium 1988 blu ray, and a few other AFD shows on DVD.

As far as we know, they don't have that many shows that could actually be released as high-quality blu rays like the Ritz show, but if they released box sets full of DVD's and CD's with full shows from the old era's, fans would lose their minds.

Yes please. 87/88 is my favorite era of the band. I know you don't agree but throw in Ritz 88 in there for me too.  I would kill for a great quality unedited of that show. It wouldn't take much effort. Just release it all!!!  Like you said, it doesn't have to be the quality of the Ritz show.. Just do the best you can with it. 

I know KISS isn't for everyone, but they did it right with the 3-part KISSOLOGY set of DVDs they did. 3 decades of complete live shows, TV appearances, videos and even commercials.  

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I can't believe the "film" thing became an argument. :lol:

If they ever decide to release more old shows or box sets, something like this would be ideal:

Pantages Theatre 1991 blu ray, and a few UYI shows on DVD.

London 2012 blu ray, and a few other CD shows on DVD.

Just to clarify - there are still benefits to releasing a Blu Ray as opposed to a DVD of a show where HD footage/transfer doesn’t exist. Simply put, the audio on a DVD cannot compare to the audio on a Blu Ray. Even if the footage is from a videotape as opposed to a 35mm source, a BD can still offer uncompressed, lossless audio which will blow any DVD out of the water. That’s why you see so many archival releases (The Stones have loads of them for example) released as a so called “standard definition Blu Ray” as opposed to just sticking with DVD. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Interview with Jeff Fura from UMG, who oversaw the production of the box set (had done so with the AFD box set, too):

"Axl wanted to record a real orchestra on November Rain": Inside the new Guns N' Roses boxset

https://www.musicweek.com/labels/read/axl-wanted-to-record-a-real-orchestra-on-november-rain-inside-the-new-guns-n-roses-boxset/086990

That was actually quite informative. Maybe I’m giving my mind a treat…but the way he talks about ‘keeping the music out there…keeping albums in print’….I’m extremely confident there will be a Chinese Democracy box at somepoint.

19 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Metallica does it right. I am kind of laid up right now and have had live Metallica playing on my TV for hours on youtube.  They give so much to their fans and are still a phenomenal live band. 

MetallicAs sets are awesome. Literally the only thing missing for me is a surround disc. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Just to clarify - there are still benefits to releasing a Blu Ray as opposed to a DVD of a show where HD footage/transfer doesn’t exist. Simply put, the audio on a DVD cannot compare to the audio on a Blu Ray. Even if the footage is from a videotape as opposed to a 35mm source, a BD can still offer uncompressed, lossless audio which will blow any DVD out of the water. That’s why you see so many archival releases (The Stones have loads of them for example) released as a so called “standard definition Blu Ray” as opposed to just sticking with DVD. 

Good point, they could probably do SD blu rays for a bunch of UYI shows. But did they record all the shows like Vegas or does a lot of their vault sound like Coma from Live Era? The AFD era shows might vary quite a bit in audio quality - could they even remaster stuff like Marc Canter's recordings to the point where it would be worth putting on a blu ray? I honestly don't know much about technical stuff like that.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

19 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Good point, they could probably do SD blu rays for a bunch of UYI shows. But did they record all the shows like Vegas or does a lot of their vault sound like Coma from Live Era? The AFD era shows might vary quite a bit in audio quality - could they even remaster stuff like Marc Canter's recordings to the point where it would be worth putting on a blu ray? I honestly don't know much about technical stuff like that.

The short answer is, we don't know much about what's in the vaults. I suspect a lot of the proshots we have of the UYI tour are representative of at least the footage quality for an overwhelming number of shows. Audio gets a little hairier - do we have any soundboard recordings "from the vault" so to speak? Everything I can think of is either attached to a proshot or an FM broadcast, etc. None of that will be representative of what the audio for most of the tour sounds like. I imagine Coma on Live Era might be a good indicator but it's just really not enough of a gauge IMO. That said, if that is what most of the vault sounds like, I don't see the issue with archival releases sounding like that. There's plenty of archival live albums from any number of bands that don't even sound as good as that. "From the vault" type releases aren't geared towards casual fans, they're mostly marketed towards the people who will buy anything an artist puts out. 

• Like 2

• Powerage5 changed the title to UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *
1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

For a band that gets shit for the Napster thing, they release a whole bunch of cool stuff on YouTube even if it's not optimal quality because they're not so hesitant about their past and aren't trying to monetize it as much as they can. 

• Like 2