UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

10 minutes ago, mystery said:

In this day and age they can release archive clips easily like they did for Used to Love Her last year but they just don't. This might be the last big boxset release unless they release a Chinese Democracy boxset for some reason in 2039.

It's weird that they didn't at least put 1-2 Ritz videos on youtube. The 'live music video' for YCBM would've been ok as a bonus on the blu ray, but was stupid as an official release. They should've released the actual live video of YCBM and maybe Don't Cry or Estranged before the box set was released.

It probably would've been pretty easy to do a 'new' video for November Rain, too. Instead of pasting the new mix over the old video, they should've done a montage of clips from 91-93, like the LALD or Dead Horse videos. That would've been way more interesting IMO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, I'm sure everyone is thrilled with the UYI reissue selling so few copies and not entering the top 200 album chart. You're right. It's a great success. 

And seeing as you asked again, yes the Appetite reissue did sell. It entered the top 10 album chart. People bought it. Fuck all people have bought this one. Not an opinion, just a fact. 

My business "theory" is "if something sells it will get made". That really isn't a "theory" though. And the suggestion that dismal sales for this reissue makes any other reissues less likely really isn't a "theory" either. 

Yeah, it sold pretty well. Went top 10 in America. 

Which top ten album chart?

And who cares if this doesn’t sell? It doesn’t really matter. There’s nothing left to reissue, Axl, Slash and Duff are still millionaires, we the fans get something to buy/enjoy (some people have bought it) . Their position in rock folklore is cemented. What’s the problem? Who, apart from hardcore fans are going to bother about a remaster anyway? Which essentially all this is. Or should the Ritz album be entering charts to be a “success”?

If you’re worried about a release/non release of Chinese in fifteen years, I wouldn’t, a lot can happen in that time.

The problem is though that no matter how well something is received it comes down to what sells.....

Yeah… and even if I had had the money to spend, I haven’t used optical media in any format, or had something that could play it, for like five years. Blu ray woulda been useless for me. 

Should be on sale on YouTube and iTunes, and in 4K. Buncha goofballs running this business strategy. 

5 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Which top ten album chart?

And who cares if this doesn’t sell? It doesn’t really matter. There’s nothing left to reissue, Axl, Slash and Duff are still millionaires, we the fans get something to buy/enjoy (some people have bought it) . Their position in rock folklore is cemented. What’s the problem? Who, apart from hardcore fans are going to bother about a remaster anyway? Which essentially all this is. Or should the Ritz album be entering charts to be a “success”?

If you’re worried about a release/non release of Chinese in fifteen years, I wouldn’t, a lot can happen in that time.

I'm not sure this conversation is worth having as you're clearly not comprehending the concept of 'if something doesn't sell, it's a problem in a commercial industry'. Or you're just deliberately trolling.  

Yes, if a commercial product sells it is regarded a 'success'. If it doesn't, it isn't. Not a concept that is difficult to grasp. To a record label releasing items for profit that's vitally important. 

As I clearly stated in the post you quoted, the AFD reissue entered the American top 10 album chart. 

Your suggestion that there's 'nothing left to reissue' just cements the notion you are trolling, as everyone here is fully aware GNR have more albums that would benefit from a reissue. 

4 hours ago, Ant000 said:

Yeah… and even if I had had the money to spend, I haven’t used optical media in any format, or had something that could play it, for like five years. Blu ray woulda been useless for me. 

Should be on sale on YouTube and iTunes, and in 4K. Buncha goofballs running this business strategy. 

It isn't?! I had no idea and assumed it was! I'm purely a physical media person, but I'm very surprised they haven't given people the option to purchase this stuff in the formats you mention. 

8 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, I'm sure everyone is thrilled with the UYI reissue selling so few copies and not entering the top 200 album chart. You're right. It's a great success. 

And seeing as you asked again, yes the Appetite reissue did sell. It entered the top 10 album chart. People bought it. Fuck all people have bought this one. Not an opinion, just a fact. 

My business "theory" is "if something sells it will get made". That really isn't a "theory" though. And the suggestion that dismal sales for this reissue makes any other reissues less likely really isn't a "theory" either. 

Yeah, it sold pretty well. Went top 10 in America. 

Thing is UYI did not provide any real studio unreleased tracks (nr adding a orchestra not really included). Selling live songs as unreleased tracks was bullshit everyone saw through.

More people would buy if it had genuine unreleased tracks supported even by a promo video single. 

13 minutes ago, vloors said:

Thing is UYI did not provide any real studio unreleased tracks (nr adding a orchestra not really included). Selling live songs as unreleased tracks was bullshit everyone saw through.

More people would buy if it had genuine unreleased tracks supported even by a promo video single. 

Yeah, without doubt the content of the package has harmed it's sales. I still don't see the sense in them not including outtakes etc, but then sense and GNR have never been comfortable bedfellows! 

• Like 1

Yeah, without doubt the content of the package has harmed it's sales. I still don't see the sense in them not including outtakes etc, but then sense and GNR have never been comfortable bedfellows! 

There we are, this poster is the voice of reason, and Guns management (and the band themselves) and Interscope records have no idea. I’m sure they will reach out for your advice for future reissues (what ever they are, Spaghetti Incident etc).  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

There we are, this poster is the voice of reason, and Guns management (and the band themselves) and Interscope records have no idea. I’m sure they will reach out for your advice for future reissues (what ever they are, Spaghetti Incident etc).  

Sorry pal, not biting anymore. 

Best of luck with someone else. 

It's doubtful that the band/label are even considering a CD reissue or box set at this point or for the foreseeable future.

But regardless of that, I don't think that a potential future decision for a CD-related reissue would depend on how the UYI reissue performed in the charts. They already know that CD is a more niche thing, so if they were to do something with it, it would be on a smaller/limited scale.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's doubtful that the band/label are even considering a CD reissue or box set at this point or for the foreseeable future.

But regardless of that, I don't think that a potential future decision for a CD-related reissue would depend on how the UYI reissue performed in the charts. They already know that CD is a more niche thing, so if they were to do something with it, it would be on a smaller/limited scale.

That's probably quite true. I think it would probably be quite warmly welcomed too, by the smaller element of the fanbase that would be interested. I know, personally, it would be the reissue I would be most interested in. 

I'd say the saddest thing about this not selling is that it probably limits the potential of us getting any more archive live stuff. 

Edited by allwaystired

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I've always thought if they were to do a ChiDem boxset it would have to be max 2500 units, and be priced higher than the UYI one at least. Wasn't the AFD Locked N' Loaded limited to 10,000? Even that hasn't sold out after going for <$400, though some fans (like me) would have picked up the cheaper Super Deluxe boxset.

Realistically a digital-only release would see best return for minimal investment.

Edited by Amir

Just now, Amir said:

Yeah, I've always thought if they were to do a ChiDem boxset it would have to be max 2500 units, and be priced higher than the UYI one at least. Wasn't the AFD Locked N' Loaded limited to 10,000? Even that hasn't sold out after going for <$400, though some fans (like me) would have picked up the cheaper Super Deluxe boxset.

Yeah 10,000. Very ambitious amount for something at that price point. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

That's probably quite true. I think it would probably be quite warmly welcomed too, by the smaller element of the fanbase that would be interested. I know, personally, it would be the reissue I would be most interested in. 

I'd say the saddest thing about this not selling is that it probably limits the potential of us getting any more archive live stuff. 

They could always give the live stuff away for free like some bands do or sell it on their website for a fee (rhcp and metallica do this from the top of my head).

1 hour ago, Amir said:

Realistically a digital-only release would see best return for minimal investment.

Agree digital release via their website is the most logical/cheapest way. 

But also if they want to push it sell the damn cds at the tours instead of the bs merch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vloors said:

They could always give the live stuff away for free like some bands do or sell it on their website for a fee (rhcp and metallica do this from the top of my head).

For free?! Are you quite mad? This is GNR! 

They could absolutely sell it on their site yeah, like many other bands. Some sort of membership club too.....but, I think we both know that's unlikely to happen! 

17 hours ago, mystery said:

That one also came out much closer to the 2016 reunion where there was still some novelty about the band. We're 4 years after that one where most casual fans have moved on and it feels like the band themselves have barely promoted it. Thor: Love and Thunder somehow promoted it more.

It was also the debut album, that is iconic and very well regarded. I would imagine through the years more people have been picking up Appetite than the Illusions albums. It's their "The Black Album".

I mean Pearl Jam went from selling their Ten box set (similar to this one) everywhere, to throwing VS and Vitalogy together in one combined box and just selling that one from their own fanclub. Then stopped completely. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WillBailey said:

All tracks from the reissue are available on the streaming platforms, though. In all fairness, who besides hardcore fans would buy physical copies of this?

Here in Sweden the reissue LP:s are 45 dollars. Not really a "curious casual music fan" price. 

I only have UYIII on vinyl. No way I am completing the "set" with the reissue for 45 dollars.

19 hours ago, tsinindy said:

OH MY GOD, I didn't name the god damn tour.  Skin and Bones was the name of the tour starting FEB 1993, that is just a fact, let it go.

Again WRONG

What’s the matter with you :D Please stop drinking and put down the crack pipe and learn something about this band and it’s history. Everybody is laughing at you.

• Like 1

If they didn’t veto the atmos mixes, released the remasters in 192 kHz instead of 92 kHz, had one definitive super deluxe that included all songs, provided more concert footage, and actually priced it accordingly,  maybe it would have sold better. The Ritz and the orchestra “November Rain” are dope. I love it. But no way I’m dropping $500 for physical releases.

• Like 2

The UYI Super Deluxe Box set is now part of Amazon's current Buy 2 Get 1 Free promotion in the USA. You could buy 2 and get 1 free, if you're into collecting. As a release date buyer, this stings.

Perhaps, I should take advantage of Amazon's liberal return policy?

Update: The buy 2 get 1 deal for the UYI Super Deluxe Edition has ended.

I would not be surprised if multiple resellers took advantage of the deal.

GNR UYYI B2G1-1.JPG

GNR UYYI B2G1-2.JPG

Edited by rockphantom
B2G1 Deal expired
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

It was also the debut album, that is iconic and very well regarded. I would imagine through the years more people have been picking up Appetite than the Illusions albums. It's their "The Black Album".

I mean Pearl Jam went from selling their Ten box set (similar to this one) everywhere, to throwing VS and Vitalogy together in one combined box and just selling that one from their own fanclub. Then stopped completely. 

Makes sense for Pearl Jam honestly because from Vs on they decided to not be nearly as mainstream so there's not near as much to sell. There's no visual identity from that era apart from their SNL appearance because they made no music videos and rarely made public appearances. Your only frame of reference is if you saw them live from 1993-95.

I think Guns N' Roses currently doesn't do enough to make people keep tabs on them and be aware that a UYI boxset exists. No new music or music videos, no interviews or appearances by Axl I'm aware of since 2016, and a live show that's a nostalgia act that's been going on for almost 7 years now.