UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

4 minutes ago, UncleJosh said:

I think there may be some confusion as to how these shows were recorded. I know they recorded almost every show on videotape and via soundboard but how many shows were actually recorded to multitrack? If i had to guess only a few which have been used as releases before and the shows used for this release may represent most of them.  I very much doubt every show was recorded to multitrack as it would have been a waste of equipment and time back then.  They selected certain shows to have a full 24 track recording unit and mics set up is my guess.

For example Coma sounds like crap compared to the other tracks on Live Era and sounds more like the audio tracks of the leaked videos which is just a 2 channel live stereo mix.  It does not sound like a multitrack recording to me but I could be wrong.

That may be why the selection of shows they are pulling from is more limited than we would prefer.  Even bands known for recording every show like Pearl Jam don't have multitracks from every show in the 90's.  Soundboards sure but not full multitracks. They have even had to patch some of the multitracks with a 2 channel soundboard source in some cases because they either didn't record it right or the tapes were degraded or lost.

I hope to be wrong but if I am right, that would explain the show choices.

I've heard 3 different performances of Coma from the 90s on YT that sounded great ... Don't think there's a legit excuse to why it wasn't included so dont go to lengths to make one for the band 

• Like 1

I find it interesting there still isnt an acknowledgement of this from the band. Everything is from the label. The press release is from UMG, the webstore is run by UMG. Nothing directly from the band on their socials or main site.

Someone posted something about the band agreeing to this boxset in order to push through the release of new material. Here's a theory; maybe the band are leaving it to UMG to plug this release so they can focus on plugging new material....

(Bet they post on their socials about this box set as soon as i post this)!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I just wish NR could have gotten a remaster in its original form that being said, it seems kinda odd to have the new one being the only one included and on the main album sequence. 

The original mix of NR will now be randomly the only one not to get a new tape transfer/mastering/high resolution offering

It got Lucas'd

• Haha 1

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

What exactly is the difference going to be then? 

Apart from November Rain, minor differences probably as the still in print CDs sound really good. Some EQ and probably some additional compression/limiting.

50 minutes ago, Axl S said:

At this point it is interesting that only UMG have done a press release about this and the only other official place this is mentioned is the website for band's online shop - a separate website from their official one.

Not a peep from the band, their twitter admin even woke up today but instead did a post about the Australia tour dates. And the news section on the band website has absolutely nothing about this release. In fact if you go on gunsnroses.com, you'd have no idea this exists until you go to the store.

Contrast that with the releases of Absurd and Hard Skool - the band has social media posts out straight away as soon as the songs went live in the USA.

And in the case of Hard Skool/Absurd it was the label that didn't do any promotion at all.

I guess it's because the box set UMG release (or rather a joint release because GN'R own the masters of the live recordings) while Hard Skool/Absurd were a GN'R self-release with exclusive license to Geffen.

• Like 1

I didn't expect any unreleased songs bar Ain't Going Down and the unused Spaghetti Incident tracks - having released two double albums at the time I'd be surprised if there was anything left over of note. (I have a vague recollection of a Slash interview around the time of release  saying that they'd basically used up their reserve of songs and next time out they would have to start from scratch).

All hope of an Atmos or surround mix ended when Steven Wilson revealed his attempt had been canned - would be interested to know why it got tossed as it seems like plenty of work went into it.

What I did think would be made available would be alternate mixes such as the fabled Clearmountain attempt as well as demos and outakes. Does seem a big oversight, but maybe points to other stuff one day being released.

Reading between the lines, as a few folk have suggested, it looks like the November Rain 2022 version is just the synth strings replaced by a real orchestra with a more modern mix - don't think any of the original band member parts will have been re-recorded. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prettytiedup88 said:

I find it interesting there still isnt an acknowledgement of this from the band. Everything is from the label. The press release is from UMG, the webstore is run by UMG. Nothing directly from the band on their socials or main site.

Someone posted something about the band agreeing to this boxset in order to push through the release of new material. Here's a theory; maybe the band are leaving it to UMG to plug this release so they can focus on plugging new material....

(Bet they post on their socials about this box set as soon as i post this)!

It was the same with the AFD box set. The label did almost all of the promotion, whereas for Hard Skool and Absurd the label did zero promotion (see above for an explanation).

my guess is this was made by corprorated assholes who only want money and if they over-ejecuted the budget they save a cut for themselfs so they pick an easy one and chosse one show, remaster the albums and chosse some pics using a hardcore fan maybe for free? or they paid him with a box-set those rats, and then we have this cheap box with so little contain for harcore fans or even cassual at this point.

Some perspective - the super deluxe set of "Sign O' The Times" by Prince is a double album and it had had:

- 2 full extra disks of purely unreleased studio material on it

- A full show on CD and a different full show on DVD.   

- Packaged with a nice classy box with a hardcover book where band members/engineers walk us through every single one of the unreleased tracks

I bought that for over $100 less than this UYI set

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

Just now, WhazUp said:

Some perspective - the deluxe set of "Sign O' The Times" by Prince is a double album, had 3 full extra disks of purely studio material on it, a full show on CD and a full show on DVD.    Packaged with a nice classy box with a book where band members/engineers walk us through every single one of the unreleased tracks

I bought that for over $100 less than this UYI set

Indeed. The Whitesnake, Metallica or Thin Lizzy box sets are also great examples of well packaged, content-loaded and well-priced releases.

As much as I wanted demos….there is so much out on the internet im actually OK they aren’t included. That said….

Oddities like 14 Years with different outro and the obvious Ain’t Going Down should have been included. Could easily have had a single disc of oddities.

I wish the 5.1 mixes had been included - apparently they WERE done but rejected….comments on here suggest their inclusion would have been a dealbreaker. Maybe feedback will encourage standalone releases I guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

Here are the deluxe cd live tracks 

CD 2

USE YOUR ILLUSION 1991 / 1992 TOUR

1. PERFECT CRIME (Live in London – 8/31/91)*
  2. BAD OBSESSION (Live in Las Vegas – 1/25/92)*
  3. RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO HELL (Live in New York – 5/16/91)*
  4. ALWAYS ON THE RUN (with Lenny Kravitz) (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*
  5. DUST N’ BONES (Live in London – 8/31/91)*
  6. LIVE AND LET DIE (Live in New York – 5/16/91)*
  7. ATTITUDE (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*
  8. DOUBLE TALKIN’ JIVE (Live in London – 8/31/91)*
  9. DON’T CRY (ORIGINAL) (Live in New York – 5/16/91)*
  10. YOU AIN’T THE FIRST (Live in New York – 5/16/91)*
  11. IT’S ALRIGHT / NOVEMBER RAIN (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*
  12. BAD APPLES (Live in Rio de Janeiro – 1/23/91)*
  13. WILD HORSES (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*

CD 2
    USE YOUR ILLUSION 1991 / 1992 TOUR

15. PRETTY TIED UP (Live in New York – 5/16/91)*
  16. 14 YEARS (Live in London – 8/31/91)*
  17. VOODOO CHILD (SLIGHT RETURN) / CIVIL WAR / VOODOO CHILD (SLIGHT RETURN) (Live in Las Vegas – 1/25/92)*
  18. YOU COULD BE MINE (Live in New York – 5/16/91)*
  19. DRUM SOLO (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*
  20. SLASH SOLO (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*
  21. SPEAK SOFTLY, LOVE (LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER) (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*
  22. SAIL AWAY SWEET SISTER (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*
  23. SO FINE (Live in Las Vegas – 1/25/92)*
  24. ONLY WOMEN BLEED / KNOCKIN’ ON HEAVEN’S DOOR (Live in Rio de Janeiro – 1/20/91)*
  25. MAMA KIN (featuring Steven Tyler & Joe Perry) (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*
  26. TRAIN KEPT A ROLLIN’ (featuring Steven Tyler & Joe Perry) (Live in Paris – 6/6/92)*
  27. ESTRANGED (Live in Las Vegas – 1/25/92)* 

It's almost like they know what we have bootlegwise 😂

They could've droped some realy nice rare live recordings there, and we get gigs we heard even backwards... not complaining tho, that bluray it's nice

8 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I've heard 3 different performances of Coma from the 90s on YT that sounded great ... Don't think there's a legit excuse to why it wasn't included so dont go to lengths to make one for the band 

None of those sound good enough for an official release. Even Coma from live era isn't good enough in my opinion. Happy to have it but sounds like a bootleg.  Should be treated as a subpar bonus track which it is. 

Not making any excuses, trying to provide a possible reason as to the choices made. 

No need to be rude about it.

• Like 1